“Absolutely Wonderful!”

Thongbay Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 268 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2008

An incredibly charming oasis with a friendly and accomodating staff! Bungalows overlooking the river are enchanting. We would go back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank juneflames

Reviewed 4 December 2007

I stayed at Thong Bay last November and absolutely loved it. My friend and I were in a beautiful bungalow with a great bathroom, the owners and staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, I don't have a single complaint about the place and think it was one of my favourite places I stayed in South East Asia (I was travelling round Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia for two months)

My parents recently went to Laos this November and I recommended Thong Bay to them and they absolutely loved it to so think it is perfect for all ages. Again they said it was the nicest place they stayed on their trip.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay in an affordable, friendly, clean place near to Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank little_miss_mel_13
Reviewed 2 December 2007

I stayed at Thongbay for 6 nights in November. It was truly my home away from home. All the staff, especially Mr Tee, made you feel so welcomed and cared for during your stay.

I chose one of the bungalows facing the river. Choose a river facing one if you can. It was so relaxing to look out on the river as you sat on your balcony. How nice to wake up hearing the river then the bells for the monks.

The bungalows are spacious and very comfortable with an attached bathroom, night stand, desk and a little refrigerator. You can have your meals and drinks delivered to your balcony . They provide both Western and Asian food/drink. You can get water refills at the front desk so you don't waste any water bottles.

The property is located about 25 - 30 minutes outside of town, but the walk is pleasant since it is flat. I enjoyed visiting the local places along the way which are outside the main tourist area. You can easily arrange transport or rent one of the bikes if you don't want to walk.

I would definitely return to Thongbay. It was a very memorable place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank Travelersez
Reviewed 7 November 2007

We stayed at the Thong Bay in Lauang Prabang for four days in October 2007. Despite it being just outside town – a couple of kilometres, or a five minute, 20,000 kip (US$1) tuk-tuk ride, the Thong Bay represented great value. Our comfortable river-facing bungalow had a fan, refrigerator and a mosquito netting over the king-sized bed. The clean, spacious newly-renovated western bathroom with its hot shower was more than adequate. Eating breakfast was a joy - delivered to the balcony of our bungalow overlooking the river.

But Thong Bay has a charm beyond its beautifully maintained grounds. Its worth far exceeds the moderate tariff charged. The helpful and gracious staff made our stay there a memorable one. Mr Tee and Ms Ley and her Swiss-born husband, Philip, provided a genuine welcome that was warm and touching. We have no hesitation in recommending the Thong Bay.
PC and MG, Melbourne, Australia

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MandPMelbourne
Reviewed 8 August 2007

We stayed at the Thongbay guesthouse in vientiane for one night in july 2007. Im not entirely sure how we even got onto thongbay, however im glad we did as it is a lovely and relaxing place to stay.

Our large air conditioned room (which accommodated 2 adults and 2 children) was $15 per night. The room is tastefully (and modestly) furnished and clean. The rooms are actually contained within a renovated building that reflects a traditional lao residence, with many secluded and quite sitting and relaxing areas.

The gardens are also very nice with several open-huts that are perfect for having a few drinks and a light meal.

The guesthouse also has a kitchen that offers a range of meals which are reasonably priced. The staff and manager are all very helpful and can also organise tickets, transport, tours etc. A traditional laos cooking course is available at the guesthouse, although we did not do this.

As other travellers have mentioned, it is out of town a bit, however this is not really an issue as tuk-tuks are everywhere.

We would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank MrsDandFamily
Reviewed 7 May 2007

What a nice place! A colleague of mine recommend this place to me and I'm happy she did.

We had a riverview bungalow which was great. It was good to sit on the little 'balcony' after a day of sightseeing, doing tours. The rooms are really comfy, nice and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful.

The guesthouse is a bit out of town but you can actually walk to the city centre (about 20min) or hire a bike from the guesthouse. There also call a tuk tuk for you if you neither want to walk or cycle.

The bungalows have no aircon, only a fan.

Breakfast is served at your little balcony. They have a little 'lounge' where you can get food or watch a DVD.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BerlinGal
Reviewed 20 February 2007

My husband and I stayed at this guesthouse for 4 nights and we loved it!! The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the bungalows were gorgeous. We got a room with a riverside view (which I definately recommend) and it was such a pleasure to come back after a day of sightseeing and sit on the porch and stare at the amazing location. This place is a little ways out of town but we used the bikes provided by the guesthouse to cycle into town each day. The cycle was a pleasure (flat road) and it only took us about 5 min to get there. You'll find it helpful as well to explore the town on bicycles.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and were very sad to leave. We will definately stay there again on our next trip to Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple