“One night in Pak Beng with no problems”
Review of Bounmy Guesthouse

Bounmy Guesthouse
Ranked #210 of 264 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Basingstoke UK
“One night in Pak Beng with no problems”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Feb 2013.
I do not know if I was lucky in having a good experience, whether others are too fussy or it was the fact that I was with a Lao guide. This hotel has a main block and a set of three wooden chalets – I stayed in a chalet which I had no complaints about. There was a very good mosquito net, although I am not sure it was really needed. The en-suite was a wet room so of course you had to make sure items such as the loo roll were out of the way. There was plenty of hot water from a gas boiler (instructions for use in Chinese). No TV. Ground floor just a couple of steps up from the parking area. No fridge. Fan but no A/C - in Feb this was not a problem.

The restaurant is a big open veranda overlooking the Mekong and the elephant park on the opposite side. Two of us sat there for much of the evening talking, drinking and eating a little but unlike some comments the prices seemed to be reasonable. We were not hassled to buy anything we did not want. Nice place to have breakfast.

At night large gates to the hotel are locked so reasonably secured from people outside. I would stay in the chalet again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I wouldn't advise any one to stay at this terrible guesthouse. They'll push u to have dinner at their restaurant, push u to order food for the next day, verry bad energy in this place. They push u to leave your room around 8:00am, and the boat doesn't leave untill 10:00am or even later.
I forgot my phone case on the bed, came back after 5 min, it was gonne. I asked for it, they told me that maybe the owner took it with him. So one of the guys who worked there, told me to go with him on his bike to the owners house, way up in the village. When we arrived he shouted at the owner behind the wall in lao language, i only i understood blue. I sayed, Yes, it's blue. Then on the way back to guesthouse, where apparenrly it was, he asked me for money, or he'll leave me there. I told him to leave there, and i would not give him any money. I went to the police to ask for help, "sorry no english". Went back again to the guesthouse, same answer, "sorry no english".
They know that you are just in transit, so you are just a cow, the'll milk you to the bone.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank crazy_moroccan

Travellers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Only stayed overnight on the way to Luang Prabang by slowboat. We booked a room in advance from the people we bought a slowboat ticket from and only because most of the other tourists decided to stay there too and we thought it was best to stay with the crowd to make sure we didn't miss the boat the next morning.There's nothing very special about Pakbeng town, it is really just a transit town.
Location is perfect, literally a 3 minute walk from the dock although they do a free pick-up service from the boat to collect your bags if you wish.
This guesthouse has a bit of a weird vibe going on and is extremely basic but fine for a one night only stay if you are with others. The electricity was inconsistent though and when we arrived it wasn't working and all we wanted to do after a 7 hour boat ride was have a shower and chill for a little while.
The rooms weren't the cleanest nor the dirtiest but we were greeted by a massive cockroach in our room but this isn't really their fault. Try to get a room off the ground floor for the views of the Mekong.
Also, the staff seemed to be quite pushy at times and trying to guilt-trip people in to buying more and then also creating conflicts if you had bought a drink from one person but not the other. The place was supposed to be family-run but it was quite clear that everyone had their own money-making agendas. Also, when we arrived and once we'd been given a room key the staff instantly started trying to sell us contraband substances and were quite pushy about it even when we said we were not interested. Having said this though, one of my friends had an accidental bag swap with another tourist on the slowboat (which caused a lot of panic) and the male staff helped to retrieve her bag and return the wrong one back to its rightful owner - but they got a bit upset when my friend didn't offer money for the help. And then when she did offer him money because he'd been hinting at it he acted insulted.
The restaurant is average - the local food was good but again if you couldn't decide immediately some of the male staff would insist on choosing for you and then pick something really expensive and something not on the menu (this happened to my friend) so they can charge you whatever they like.
The restaurant also does a sandwich and snacks service so you can get provisions for the boat journey which you can order the night before or in the morning. Sandwiches for vegetarians pretty much consist of laughing cow cheese and salad but that's standard.

Room Tip: get a room off the grounf floor for a good view of the Mekong river.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nayhem
London
Reviewed 19 April 2007

Also known as Bunmy, this is a very very basic choice in Pakbeng, this guesthouse, although pleasant and with a lovely eating area with views to the Mekong river, the standard of the rooms are not for the faint hearted.

There is no constant supply of electricity in the area but the hotel has a generator that they only switch on in the evenings, but if you are off to an early start in the morniing, you'll have to get ready in the darkness. There is no hot water in the rooms, not even when the electricity is on, even though I've seen a few places on the web, where they say there is - no there isn't, but I don't think there's anywhere else in Pakbeng with hot water so you have no choice. The rooms don't have air conditioning but a ventilator which again, can rarely be used because there's no electricty. I did't find it very clean but it didn't matter because it was so dark you couldn't see it anyway.

As in most guesthouses in Laos, the bathroom didn't have a bath or a shower area, the shower was in the middle of the bathroom, and there's no curtain around the tap area or like a basin to contain the water, just the floor, so you have to take care to remove the toilet paper andyour clothes roll so it doesn't get wet. the water goes down a drain in the middle of the floor.

Beds were not rock hard like most of them in Laos but rather battered and soft.

There's hardly any bedlinen on the beds, just a sheet to cover the mattress and another one to cover the pillow. The only thing they provide for you to cover yourself with, is a blanket which hasn't obvisously been washed and God knows who's slept on it before, so if you are cold, tough luck.

Breakfast is really delicious, I recommend the banana pankake, a culinary experience if ti wasn't because a dog decided to come and vomit next to our table and spoilt the whole experience.

Nice views but expensive drinks!

• Liked — Banana pancakes
  • Disliked — No electricity or hot water, no bed linen, dirty
  • Stayed April 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)