“Second Visit in Twin Bedroom”

Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel
Ranked #14 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
“Second Visit in Twin Bedroom”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Although I'd stayed here once before, I didn't make any comments so I'll do so now.

Pros:

Service was impeccable (flexible, knowledgeable and polite), breakfast is generous and delicious and location of the hotel is really nice (quiet and convenient while not hard to find). The decor in front of the rooms is also beautiful during the day and night.

A reflection of the service quality was when we sent some laundry and was returned with missing clothes, they were able to handle the situation well and recovered the clothes to us in a day.

Cons:

However, I had a few problems during this stay. The Wifi was spotty and then completely unusable after - which I personally tried to fix and was not able to.

The bed is nice but a comforter as opppsed to just the one blanket sheet would have been much preferred. The water pressure in the shower is not great.

Wrong laundry bag in the wrong room, small hiccup.

Overall, there were a few nuances but the service kept it our stay enjoyable.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stan Lee T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was the most romantic hotel we stayed at our on Asia holiday. It was a beautiful hotel and room that made you feel relaxed and away from it all. It was very quiet and peaceful. Great location, walking distance to the main street and many tasty restaurants. Also Big Brother Mouse is just around the corner, which I highly recommend to go and check out. (But I will write a separate review on that). And the monk morning alms are right outside the front door. The staff were lovely and were extra helpful. We got our washing done here as it was quite affordable. The breakfasts were the best I had, compared with other hotels on our stay. Loved Lotus Villa and highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kase87
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The location is very good; near the Mekong and at the heart of the old town. Also it is quiet. However, I was a little disappointed by the staff. Their language skills are not fully developed. Local knowledge is not sufficiently possessed. But most importntly, they don't have a sense that their visitors (aka their customers) are staying. While I was trying to relax in the veranda in one evening, a group of staff sat down below (because it's not a busy season, apparently), kept on chatting and making noise for at least an hour. How can we expect to be disturbed in a place like Luang Prabang by the very people who are supposed to provide quiet moments for people visiting there? I liked the place though. Breakfast was great!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mariko_SC
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

It's 18 months since we had the pleasure of enjoying this captivating small hotel perfectly located in the beautiful town of Luang Prabang. My TripAdvisor review obviously didn't take so I have to address this.The Lotus Villa is one of the most relaxing hotels I have ever been in. Casual, beautiful rooms (although the shower/bathroom set up was odd) overlooking the courtyard where a good breakfast is served. Management and staff were very friendly and each day the monks parade right outside. A perfect 5/5.

Room Tip: We were on the road side of the hotel.Upstairs room gives good view of street and courtyard. Little...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian M
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel and it didn't disappoint. I love it!

Luang Prabang is a lovely and quaint town and my stay was especially made more perfect because of the great accommodation provided by Lotus Villa. The frangipani rooms where my friends and I stayed in were very clean and well maintained. The bathroom was ok, you can ask for a screen door since the style of their bathrooms is open. They also have a bidet which was fantastic! My only issue though was the shower because water wasn't strong. As for the rooms, it was great! I like the fact that rooms are overlooking the hotel garden. The bed was comfortable too! And you get a supply of 1.5L drinking water everyday.

Must see places are all walking distance. The alms ceremony also happens in front of the hotel so you can see the monks from your room. The night market and royal palace are around 5 to 7 minutes walk.

Evelyn, the manager, was so nice! She was very accommodating and helpful with her suggestions on places we should try and do around the area. She especially made our LP experience worthwhile! Thank you Evelyn. The staff were very attentive and helpful too. Although at night time (6pm onwards), they seem to be less resourceful and helpful with some questions (i.e. Asking for a tuktuk for dinner at 630pm, massage appointments, etc.). But this issue only takes place at night! So no worries about that since all of LP closes at 11pm anyways!

All in all, I highly recommend this place! I will tell my friends about it too. ☺️

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Myta V
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2014

First off, the people who work here are very nice and are more than competent at their job. They do a fantastic job. Second, the place looks very nice and is pretty peaceful. But there are things that are lacking for the price that I paid. There are no tv's, which isn't always a bad thing, but it would be nice to have, considering the amount you are paying per night. The WIFI is absolutely terrible, almost nonexistent. There is nothing in the fridge and no snacks available to purchase and munch on. Breakfast is average, maybe slightly above average... no complaints there.

Overall, this would've been a nice place to stay had I not paid the price that I did. I just don't think there is enough VALUE here, especially considering the other places I stayed during my trip through SE Asia and having paid less at all of them. I paid the most per night here, but I felt I got the least amount of value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank grooveK
rianja, General Manager at Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Greetings "grooveK!"

And thank you for taking the time to write, and in particular, for giving us the opportunity to update you, and all the TripAdvisor community.

As I write - a week after you posted - the soft drinks and beer are being loaded into the mini-bar fridges in the rooms. These things take time in a developing country! Fridges, getting inventory forms printed, training staff how to manage the system... If we'd known this was an issue for you we could have jump-started the process during your stay with us, for your room. Individualized custom service is something we are always ready to provide.

As for snacks, no, we don't put snacks in the room. This is SE Asia, and having too much food about is not always a good idea. Guests are more than welcome to bring snacks in (there is a snack shop right next door as well as directly across the street), as well as from the numerous cafes and restaurants just moments away. Or you can ask us to bring them in!

But having unnecessary foodstuffs in a room is not a good idea in this part of the world. (And they should always be kept in the fridge.)

While on the topic of services and amenities, we are also in the process of putting coffee and tea making facilities in all the rooms and are purchasing bicycles so as to offer our guests free bicycles during their stay.

Regarding internet and wifi: once again, Laos is a developing country. We are at the maximum service capacity. And we cannot process our bookings or manage our correspondence without wifi/internet, so we carry the highest capacity possible. But sometimes the internet/wifi go down. Again, it's a fact of life in a developing country.

In closing, we want to remind readers to always - always - ask, if there is something they wish to have. Internet/wifi down? We have a 3G USB we use to get our bookings done when that happens, but we'll happily give it to you and catch up on our work later. Want some snacks? A mosquito net? Gluten-free and lactose-free carbs with breakfast? Vegan options? Extra pillows? In-room massage? We can provide all this - and more!

Thanks again "grooveK", and may all your travels be as lovely as you'd wish.

With Best Regards
Evelyn

Evelyn Napier
Lotus Villa
Luang Prabang, Laos
Melbourne
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We really enjoyed our 3 nights at this place. The location was great as in a quiet street but also really close to the Main Street. The breakfast each morning was good (fruit was so sweet) and staff could not have been more friendly or wanting to assist with things.

We had a lotus room upstairs and we booked this so we could watch the morning ceremoney of the giving of alms to the monks. It was so good to be able to sit on the balcony out of their way so as to be respectful but also able to discreetly take photos of this very giving and quiet ceremony. A wonderful start to the day.

The bed was soft which after many hard beds in Vietnam was sooooo nice. On our last night the power kept going out in our room so we were moved quickly to the orchid suite. They were concerned we would not sleep as the air com would go off. With the hot and humid weather this was really nice of them. The allowed us to leave our bags in our original room too. It was handled really well.

We very much enjoyed the lotus villa and I'd recommend it to family and friends. Luang Prabang as a town and destination is just great. A really peaceful, quiet and lovely town with lovely people.

Room Tip: Choose a lotus room for great view of morning ceremony
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple