“stylish and fabulous”

Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel
Ranked #14 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed 6 May 2010

A confession. According to my husband, my quest for the perfect holiday accom can verge on the obsessive. How to find charming, well located, authentic, charming staff, stylishly decorated, well priced accom - that no-one else has yet found?

We hit the jackpot with Lotus Villa (apart from the no-one else has found it bit).

We stayed for nearly a week in the Orchid Suite and it felt as comfortable as staying in a stylish friend's apartment. It is certainly large enough for four people, but we loved it for the two of us. We took the larger room as a treat for ourselves and we were thrilled we did.

We loved the attention to detail - fabulous fabrics, lovely artwork, gorgeous dark wood features, super comfy bed, divine large bath, spectacular shower with gorgeous tiles, books to read, computer to use, day bed to lie on, fruit, tea and coffee to enjoy.

One of our favourite times of the day was to get up at 6.30 and watch the monks' procession from the quiet of our own balcony. In fact we loved the balcony in the evening as well, when we sat with a chilled glass of wine and watched the street and local lane life unfold.

Breakfast delicious, staff charming and consistently helpful, courtyard inviting. We even enjoyed the company of other guests.

We also really liked the location - close enough to the action of the main street and restaurants and many of the wats, but far enough away to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Downside? ...I guess the inability to easily get out first thing in the morning without waking up the staff.......but, that was only a small thing and when we did it the first morning, he answered the door with a smile on his face.. The rest of the mornings we watched the procession from our own balcony so it didn't really matter.

Can't really think of anything else we didn't enjoy. All in all, fabulous!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cloeyhome

Reviewed 23 April 2010

I shared a twin room with my daughter but the shower was visble from the bedroom however a screen was provided which solved the problem.Hotel appeared to be relatively new and was spotless.Breakfast is served in a shady courtyard.The staff are very helpful and attentive.Indeed sticky rice was prepared for us to give to the monks who file past the front door at 6.30am and because it was raining an umbrelle and seat was provided for the pavement. We had tried to book another hotel but so pleased it was busy and ended up here.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2010

this was a very nice place to saty. I spent 4 nights in an orchid suite which was simply stunning. The room had french tiles, old style bathtub and was nicely decorated. The verandah looked over a quiet street and you could watch village life from there which was relaxing. The hotel was in a good location, but not on the river. The wat sengtong was at the end of the street and the shops and cafes were all in walking distance. The staff were what made this stay enjoyable. Gee ? and sungub were very welcoming and always happy. The staff at breakfast were good as well and the food was delicious with free refills. The garden (where you eat breakfast) was just beautiful with banana trees and these beautiful red and yellow flowers that hung over the tables.the owner, andrew was around each morning and offered good advice on what to do and where to eat. He also supports an orphanage with funds raised from the hotel guests. I was amazed when he told me the hotel had donated over $40,000 since the hotel opened. Its good that they are helping the local community. I would definately stay here again mainly because the staff were so nice. Nothing ewas too much trouble

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Villa Lotus has lovely rooms surrounding a leafy, private courtyard. We stayed in the Orchid Suite, which came with a computer with good internet connection, two spacious rooms (separated by folding doors), both a tub and a shower, and good aircon. The room was spacious and very comfortable, with two couch/daybeds and a very comfortable bed. It was also very quiet - the window glass is thick, which helps soften what little street noise there is. We could watch the morning procession of monks from our balcony, and then have a lovely breakfast in the courtyard (try the coconut tamarind jam). The staff were also truly outstanding. One of my sandals lost a strap soon after our arrival, and the staff took them out of town to a cobbler who stitched them up in a matter of hours. It is within 10 minutes walk from almost every site in Luang Prabang. It's a terrific place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2010

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights in June 2009. We had a lovely time. It is a quiet, clean and well-staffed hotel. The staff are very friendly; it is definitely worth taking the time to get to know them, as you can learn a lot about Laos. The Australian man who runs the place is also a helpful resource and very honorable. The breakfast was very filling and delicious, and nothing beats sitting in their gorgeous courtyard with a nice cold Beer Lao.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Unfortunately this was lacking.... After arriving from Bangkok into Luang Prabang less my luggage as it had been lost by the airlines, I was met at the airport by a complimentary pick-up service. After discovering what had happened to my luggage there seemed a low level of concern by the staff....assumed this may be a cultural thing and that I was being a little too sensitive! The room was beautiful although a little pricey $150 - there was only a sliver of soap and no other toiletries. There was complimentary internet in the room and a fridge with one free beer each day which was welcomed. I had arranged prior to arriving, for one of the day beds to be made up with bedding - this was not done. When I went down to reception to enquire about this I was told that housekeeping had gone home and was given the impression that it was all too much effort to get any bedding. Eventually one sheet and one blanket were brought upstairs and I made up the day-bed myself. I thought that the following day this would change and a proper bed would be made up with a quilt etc. this unfortunately did not happen and my room mate slept with one sheet and one blanket for the following three nights. Breakfast was initially excellent however the service appeared to at times be a little surly and plates were just plonked on our table........After reading about the friendliness of the staff I was surprised that the staff made very little effort to talk, smile or be pleasant in any way. The two girls working at the hotel were a lot better than any of the male staff . However when Andrew (one of the owners)was around they made every effort to be friendly and when he wasn't.....mmmmmm.
The initial four nights we were satisfied with, even though the service was not great we just assumed that this was part of Laos culture and decided to return for a further four nights after traveling up the Mekong for a few days. It was during this trip and afterwards that we experienced exceptional service in venues that charge lower or comparable rates.
I feel there is a real issue with communication and looking after the guests. To illustrate this point - On our return one morning we were woken up at 7.20am by an almighty crash - we both leapt out of bed thinking there may have been an explosion. We discovered that a large section of wood latticing had fallen out of the wall and crashed to the floor. Luckily my room mate had decided to swap beds that night and if she had not done would have been hit by this damaging piece of debris!!! We ran downstairs to let reception know and were met with nonchalance and thought this may have been a language barrier - several staff went to look at the mess including the owner and nobody said a word to us, not even to ask if we were okay! Things just didn't seem to improve any from then onwards...
I chose this hotel based on reviews which heralded the 'friendliness, warmth etc' of the staff - something has gone wrong and unless it is sorted, I doubt this hotel will be up the rankings in tripadvisor for long!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank slpHongKong
Reviewed 2 April 2010

I have to disagree 100% with the previous post on March 21. I have traveled extensively for 40 years, & now live in another 3rd world country where I also own a small resort.
The challenges involved are endless. To be able to provide the quality of room, food, & above all, service, is a feat unto itself.
I would recommend this lovely place to anyone who wants a relaxing holiday with the perfect location & wonderful staff.
thanks to all