“OK but overpriced!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luang Prabang
MuongLao Riverside by Villa Xandria
Ranked #148 of 267 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I prebooked this hotel as I like to 'splurge' on at least one nice hotel each holiday - for around $50USD in SE Asia you can (usually) get some lovely hotels for a few nights - however this isn't really worth it.

Good points - service and breakfast were good and it was on the Mekong riverside with a balcony which is what I wanted. The bed was comfy and there was a TV, AC and ceiling fan. Bathroom had a very large shower head but...

Bad points - bathroom was TINY so everything got wet when you had a shower and the drainage was a bit dodgy. Room was very dark (lots of dark wood), wasn't very big and there was a lot of noise from the street as we didn't want to shut the wooden shutters to give some natural light. The air conditioner compressor is located under a 'shelf' where the staff put my backpack when we arrived and I could feel the hot air blowing up into the room - this meant that the AC had to keep turning on and off to cool the room, which is both noisy and inefficient.

Overall, it was an OK room on the riverfront but we paid $10 for a similar but much bigger room in a quieter location away from the river (without breakfast) so would suggest if you can get it for $30 or less it would be worth it. If you are looking to 'splurge' on a nice room in LP, take the time to look around as there are probably better value options.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for MuongLao Riverside by Villa Xandria

Reviewed 8 November 2011

Lovely old style guest house by river. Basic facilities and all that you need for a conformable stay. Room on he small side but large enough and the price is right! I had a room with a balcony so I could enjoy a cold Beer Lao in the afternoon watching the tourists and activity below.

Very central to everything, main street and eating. Dan the host was amazing and will help you with anything. Breakfast was good.

In my 6 weeks in Asia this was one of my favourite places. Perfect for younger independent travellers - older couples may prefer larger hotel style accommodation.

Thank you Dan - you are the man.

Room Tip: Two rooms at the front have a little balcony which makes the stay perfect.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We booked this hotel after reading great reviews, unfortunately we were wrong. As soon as we arrived, the owner told us they where under maintenance and sent us to another hotel a few blocks away, he promised to move us back in a few days, that never happened so we asked in the reception of this "other" hotel for a discount, they told us we could pay 25 dollars, even the breakfast was different, they only had Lao Breakfast and not the American Breakfast advertised on the website. after 5 days and 2 minutes before checkingout we discovered that a lot of money was taken from our room (by the cleaning staff) , nothing could be done as the hotel said they are not responsible for that, moreover they tried to charge me 55 dollars a night, we argued that it was not the hotel we booked, the receptionist (always with a smile) contacted me with the owner, a very unpleasent man who told us that this hotel was also his and that "it was the same hotel", we finally payed 40 dollars a night with the worst experience ever after travelling for 3 months around southeast asia, I would not recommend this place, If you walk around you can find great hotels and guesthouses for half the price.

Room Tip: Rooms near the breakfast area are really noisy
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NeoAngelz
villaxandria, Owner at MuongLao Riverside by Villa Xandria, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

Dear Valued Guest.

On be half of the Team of Xandria Hotels I do apology and deeply sorry for your unpleasant stay with us, we take all our customers complains and comments in a positive way to improve our hospitality services.

As per my investigation there was no one promised to give you a discount for USD 25.00 per night? When you called me during your depart I was the one spoken to you and offered you USD 40.00 per night. Sorry I was unable to come to say good bye on your depart.

Yes I was doing a minor renovation and when on your arrival I have explained to you and I was upgrading you to our new Mekong HOLIDAY Villa by XANDRIA. We are in the hospitality industry and due to some reasons when we relocate guests to another location we always upgrade them to high quality and better facilities with free transport and free internet service and this is our hotel standard which we provide

Yes I have advertised providing; Set American Breakfast; since guests staying more than 3 days stay we do rotate breakfasts for our guest’s to experience the Laotian and Asian breakfast and all our guest were happy with that. But I take your complain into consideration to minimize the complains and from now onward we will offer the choice of the breakfast to our guests to choose what they like to have. Thank you.

You have mention money have been stolen? My question is to you sir when did you find out when the money was stolen just before your depart? Or before during your stay? If the money was stolen during your stay then why didn’t you inform to us? I would have investigated the matter with proper solution. "We believe customers are always right"
Your review is very important to me and my team therefore I will continue to investigate and will take necessary action to avoid this kind of matters must not happen again in future.

Again I am sorry for your unsatisfied stay; however I wish you all the best for rest of your journey.

Dan
Owner

Reviewed 21 September 2011

The start to our stay was strange, the airport taxi dropped us off at another guesthouse with a similar name. Muong Lao, It looked nothing like the place I had booked, All sorted we headed to the correct place and it was as described. Situated on the river road with our room, quite large and the balcony overlooked the magical Mekong river. Each morning breakfast was prepared and served in the outside dining area right on the rivers. The owner and staff provided excellent service and assistance. We had a great 6 nights here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2011

This was one of my husband’s & mine favorite hotels on our trip across SE Asia. It’s perfectly situated right along the Mekong River & a 2 minute walk from the night market in Luang Prabang. The owner, Dan, is extremely nice & is happy to give suggestions about things to do and see. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, & the prices are more than reasonable… We paid about $30/night for a lovely room with AC & a private toilet with all the amenities. There is free Wifi & you can help yourself to some complimentary coffee or tea whenever you’d like. Dan also has an adorable puppy named Toto so for all you dog-lovers, this hotel comes with a very high recommendation!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2011

A small guesthouse with nice and clean rooms. The upstairs bedrooms are very quiet. We stayed four nights and would have liked to stay longer. We had to leave because it is becoming very popular with advance reservations. The owner "Dan" is very friendly and helpful. Great place to relax and enjoy the view of the Mekong River. The children loved playing with "Toto" the little pekingese dog. The price of the rooms were around 20$.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We spent a night here in a twin room (room no. 102) cost USD20 inclusive of breakfast.
The check-in process was smoothly and we were allowed to have the room at 12pm. The room is equipped with tv, fan, air-con, washing basin, standing shower (heater) and toilet with basic toiletries.
We had a nice sleep and the room condition was satisfied, with tiled floor.

It is situated at the riverside, walking distance to the nearby tourist attractions. The breakfast was prepared by the Owner Mr Dan and his two staffs. We had our meal while enjoying the view of the Mekong river. It was such a relaxing experience.

We saw a cute puppy, I guess it must be Toto as mentioned by other reviewers.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends