“Outstanding service!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luang Prabang
MuongLao Riverside by Villa Xandria
Ranked #141 of 264 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Outstanding service!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I had the pleasure to stay here for a few days and was incredibly impressed with the services provided. I was unfortunate to come down with pneumonia while I was there and the manager/staff went above and beyond helping me to get medical attention and brought me my luggage to the hospital when it turned out I needed to be medivacked to Bangkok. Thank you to all the staff! You were wonderful!!

• Stayed July 2012
villaxandria, Owner at MuongLao Riverside by Villa Xandria, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review and we are appreciated your honesty.

Your reviews make us to offer the best service in town. As you all know the Muonglao Riverside Villa by XANDRIA has been renovated on July 2012. The concept of the rooms has been decorated same as Cruse Liner Cabin Room. The minute you walk in to the room you will find the Cleanses, well presented, cozy bed with douve, soft and hard pillows, LCD TV, Rain shower and AC giving you the most romantic atmosphere. Remember we don't have a large room like five stars hotel, our rooms are compact with your needs and defiantly we do treat and serve you as five star guests for the premium price.
Welcome to Luang Prabang and experience the Heritage, culture and Xandria's Hospitality.

Wish you all the best to all travelers.
Dan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Brisbane
Reviewed 17 July 2012

The location was really good, right on the river which was nice and there were seats that the hotel owned across the road (literally sitting right on the riverside). The staff were also very friendly and helpful (although the english was not that great). We were intending to stay an extra night (three instead of two) and asked to be moved upstairs for the second two nights and this was all okay - however we did not end up staying the extra night (this had nothing to do with the hotel, we decided to move cities).

We paid $18 per night from a deal for Agoda which said it was usually $80. I was happy with the price we paid but would not have liked to pay too much more for the room we had. I don't know if the upstairs rooms were better but our room was right next to reception (so no river view) and there was a switch board in the room that had power to the whole hotel. Also the one window we had opened out into a small alley and a lot of water came in when we opened it. There was no other major issues, the room was clean and okay as a place to sleep and get out of the heat when necessary but just not worth the $80 they are apparently offered at.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MROSEW
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The Pros: Clean, Comfortable, AC, Fan, Flat Screen TV with Intl. Channels, Free WIFI, Complimentary Bottled Water, Rooms Cleaned Daily.

For this price point, eighteen dollars plus\minus I think this was a great value. Like many guest houses in the area this is a small operation. they are courteous and polite, but not overtly friendly which may stem from language barriers. NOTE: The rooms are dark, because they are fashioned from hand hewn dark wood, I found them unique and attractive-almost nautical looking like the cabin of a ship. There is a little balcony you can sit and peruse the Mekong river, or the neighborhood going ons. It is a quiet area, but there is an occasional loud tuk tuk or scooter than can be heard. My room looked exactly as shown in the pictures on the Agoda reservation website. There are plenty of small quiet eateries right there alongside the river, on the side streets or on the close main street (2 minute walk - but a pretty sleepy, quiet main street). All kinds of travel agencies, places to have your laundry done, foot massage shops etc. Just an FYI: There is no in room safe, night latches on doors or substantial locks. so as everywhere you travel never leave anything of value in your room, even in locked bags (this advice, not connected in anyway in particular to this hotel). although I felt very secure, I think these things are worth mentioning. I originally reserved for 2 nights, then extended for 2 more as this was a nice base for the area. have fun!

Also note: There is another guesthouse with the nearly the same name (my tuk tuk driver took me there first), and it is in another area. So make sure you both reserve and arrive at the right hotel. The full name for this guesthouse is the Muonglao Riverside by Xandria Hotels ( the other is the Muonglao Guesthouse). I also wonder if some of the other, more negative reviews are from people who stayed at the other guesthouse as well?

Safe Travels in Laos. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: It seems that many travelers are unaware that there is a water borne pa...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank medschoolguy
Luang Prabang
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I've been a frequent visitor to Luang Prabang in the last few years. My first stay at the Muonglao Riverside Villa was more than a year ago. I was impressed then, but more so now. The rain shower heads are a nice new feature, and the improved lighting in my room was really appreciated. Also, the internet speed is better. Remaining the same was the personal family-like service that the staff seemed always happy to provide. Last time I had a beautiful view of the Mekong & a balcony; this time my first floor room's view was not so nice, but there isn't a better view of the Mighty Mekong than you get from the hotel's bar which perches on its bank. This time I got to share a Beer Lao with the owner, Dan, a Canadian with lots of years in Laotian hospitality. He told me about how he's been building his brand, Xandria, & has acquired additional hotels in Laos.

Room Tip: some rooms have balconies, most with a river view. rooms in rear have fewer traffic sounds corner r...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
villaxandria, Owner at MuongLao Riverside by Villa Xandria, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Dear All Customers:
Thank you all for your reviews made Muonalao Riverside by Villa XABDRIA to receive a certificate from Tripadvisor the "CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLANCE" for 2012.
On be half of the Management and the team I would like to say all of you our "THANKS"

Dan Owner
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

same thing happened to us as Inselhuepfer3 wrote. We were sent to the other hotel unwillingly. I had made booking at MuongLao Riverside by Villa Xandria about 30 days before but the Indian owner said same thing as Inselhuepfer3 wrote. He was not pleasant at all. The new hotel is on a noisy location. It is near the morning market and night market. The room was new but facing back of other house and dark. Staff is all so inattentive. We were charged $48 for this. If he want to send us to the other hotel then he must contact us and ask us. We had no choice as he would charge 100% cancellation charge. Terrible breakfast staff who are all so slow even we told them many times that our bus leaves 9 am since our arrival, nobody ever care maybe didn't understand. When we came back after dinner around 10pm the receptionist was browsing internet on the other side of the reception area and wasn't even interested in coming back to the desk until we called him. It was a very unpleasant stay. Owner man was keen on looking for someone who want to join the ride to Vientiane on his car. But he didn't seem to be interested in serving his guests. We told what time we have to go to the bus stop at our arrival but none of staff ever interested in. They serves instant coffee.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
villaxandria, Owner at MuongLao Riverside by Villa Xandria, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear Valued Customers.
It is my pleasure to respond to this review.
The owner is a Canadian & a Laotian, please visit the Xandria webpage for more Information:

Yes the room was booked few weeks ago just for one night occupation; It was a best decision from the Management to move the guest to our sister hotels. One and only hotel located in the center of the city by the Mekong River Banks with a beach. Our intention was: one night stay so possible for the guest to enjoy their stay close to the city

Walking Distance: 55 sec to the morning Market- 2Mit and 8 sec to the Night Market- 2 Mit and 40 second to the National Museum/Royal Palace- 12 second to the Ferry- 3Mit and 40 second to the Phoussi Mountain Temple – Monks offering start in front of the hotel until 5 mit walk. Of course you are in the premier spot. It is good to let the future guests to know where we are. Lao is a Buddhism country and the city wakes up for Monks offering starts at 5:00AM and, of course it will be noisy with people talking and Tuk Tuk. The Hotel has double windows to minimize the noise.

We simply do not move the guests without informing them on their arrival. We are the Hotelier when we move the guests to our sister hotel it would be part of upgrading. If the guests do not want to move they are happy to stay where they originally booked. We provide and offer suggestion for their enjoying stay but the decision is up to the guests.

I am deeply sorry that the receptionist did not taking care when you returned from your dinner. This is part of the staff training and I will improve this matter ASAp – Thank you.

I remember I was asking some guests, “ if any one plan to go to Vientiane could join with me in my Van, This is kind of generosity not Keen!! Free of charge 7 to 8 hours ride, instead of paying and taking 11 hours’ bus riding to Vientiane.

We Xandria hotels are the newest hotels in Laos and we take our customer’s review in a positive manner to Improve our service.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I booked a room at the MuongLao Riverside, however, I actually stayed at the sister guesthouse, The Mekong Holiday Villa, which is closer to the town centre of Luang Prabang (essentially it's on the same road, but about 500 metres closer to town), so this review is about the Mekong Holiday Villa.

I wasn't really too happy about being moved to another guesthouse, however, I was assured that the standard of both places was the same - there was also some confusion about the room category (I booked deluxe, which was more expensive than standard, only to be told that all rooms were the same and that the room I was in was a deluxe). That left a slightly bitter taste during my whole stay.

The room had dark cladding and that made it all a bit dark, but it was very clean, mattress was fine and the AC was actually very quiet. The bathroom was small, but perfectly adequate - that said, I'm short, someone taller may have had issues with the height of the shower.

The room was facing the river, however, to be clear, you don't actually see much of the river as the river level is much deeper than the town. Also, the bed was right in front of the window, so you had to climb onto the bed to see anything. The guesthouse is located on the main river road, which made it really noisy - not helped by having a tuk tuk stop opposite the hotel, where drivers were firing up their tuk tuks at 5.00 a.m. Finally, the hotel is very close to one of the spots where you can watch the monks getting their alms, so in addition to the tuk tuks at 5 a.m., there were also millions of mini buses going past the hotel from about 6 a.m. onwards. I asked to be moved to one of the rooms not facing the road, but that would have involved moving room every night, as the majority of rooms were reserved,which I just couldn't be bothered to do. I suspect that the MuongLao Riverside would have been quieter because it was in a quieter spot of town.

The staff was perfectly pleasant but slightly clueless - they asked me every day when I was due to leave... But they were very sweet and helpful.

Finally, breakfast was as bad as some of previous reviewers described and I am a very forgiving person with plenty of Asia trips under my belt. This was the final stop of my trip through Laos and in all the places I stayed before, breakfast was perfectly fine, regardless of whether it was Lao breakfast or continental. Here, I actually skipped breakfast most times and went into town where you can get really nice breakfast (I'd recommend Le Cafe Ban Vat Sene, they do really nice coffee). The few times I had breakfast at the hotel, it was microwaved noodles with microwaved eggs or cold bacon and a cold pink frankfurter.

Overall, I think there are nicer places to stay in Luang Prabang and if I go back again, I would stay somewhere else, certainly somewhere quieter and somewhere with a garden to chill out. That said, the Riverside Villa is very conveniently located close to the Night Market, the Royal Palace and the main attractions of Luang Prabang and the rooms were very clean.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Inselhuepfer3
Dear Valued Guest:
I thank you for your review , you have many positive and negative points: The positive points I will share with me team and the negative points we take them and provide necessary training for the saffs to improve.
But there are few things that I cannot change such as you have indicated “Dark wood” most of the guests like the dark wood matched with our back ground off white curtain give the cozzze feeling adding to that your good review about the condition of the room. Thank You!

Regarding the River view, This is the dry season and the land is too high, of course not have a clear view of the river.
WE are providing set American and Lao breakfast and we have got many compliment however, if you did not satisfy our breakfast and with the notification I would not have charged you for the breakfast.
I am sorry that we couldn’t make your day!

Certainly, we are one of a kind, one and only beach Villa mid of the city by the Mekong River Banks proved to say you will not find such a beautiful beach anywhere in Luang Prabang.

I thank you for your comments and we are at your service.
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This hotel was booked on the strength of TA comments. The room was very small, dark and ill equipped - no mirror in bedroom, not one coathanger - only hooks on a door, extremely small bathroom where you could sit on the loo and shower at the same time. At $40 a night this was not good value for money.

Breakfast was on the wooden terrace across the road from the hotel overlooking the Mekong but it appeared that almost every chair was broken and unsafe.

This hotel was not good value for money and we were very pleased when we moved to the sister hotel a short distance away, also on the banks of the Mekong.

Service was OK and staff were helpful but we were rather perturbed by the owners continuous 'barking' at his staff in front of guests. It appeared to be a rule by fear strategy.

We would definitely not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a riverside view room but the window was so small and there were trees across the road.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple