Villa Senesouk
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Burasari Heritage(Luang Prabang)
The Apsara(Luang Prabang)
  • Breakfast included
Villa Ban Lakkham(Luang Prabang)
Calao Hotel(Luang Prabang)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsgreat locationtea and coffeewatalmstemplebalconyguesthousewood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Beautiful teakwood building at the back of the main one, shielded form the traffic at the front. Refrigerator didn't work, washbasin in the bathroom blocked. Nice room with thin wooden walls. Hardly functional wifi. No breakfast and facilities. Staff hardly speaks English. Paying was difficult, staff wanted cash in Kip and I wanted to pay by credit card. Surcharge of 4% and after several trials the credit card machine did work. No fun if they don't speak English.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are traditional teak and away from the traffic, the main building is on the street were the begging monks can be watched from your own balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nico_Jong
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This place was recommended by friends who had stayed there several years ago. Luang Prabang has changed a lot in that period of time and while it has potential, it does not live up to it with so many other good choices available nearby.

First we tried to make a booking directly with the hotel. After several ever changing and confusing emails we gave that approach up and booked it over Agoda.

BREAKFAST; Not included.

STAFF; Friendly but more interested in playing video games and watching Lao and Thai TV programs than actually helping guests. Most of the staff did not understand much English or French. My favorite was when I asked if they had a map I could have and they pulled out a very nice four-color brochure and pointed out several places in town. The next day they stopped me on the way out of the hotel and told me there would be a $2.00US charge for the brochure. I certainly don't mind paying for a really nice brochure but giving me one on one occasion and then trying to charge me the next day was pretty tacky. I gave it back to them. There was one young man who was very helpful in getting our internet connection worked out but even that was iffy most of the time.

LOCATION: We had a street facing room which I thought would be nice as the morning monk walk would pass right by. However, what I didn't realize was that because there was a lovely wide sidewalk and Wat (with no storefronts) directly across the street, that commercial tour operators would be busing in tourists to view the spectacle each and every morning. The operators would show up before 5:00am, and set out bamboo mats and low stools for their customers. Then those subcontracting for food service would show up to spread out their breakfasts and finally a long line of vans would arrive discorging the hordes who would talk loudly until just before the monks would arrive at around 6:15am. Then the camera flashes would start going off. Add to that the other hotel guests who were standing out on the adjoining balcony talking loudly and it made for a very entertaining start to the day.

ROOMS; Small, clean, nicely decorated, with small fridge and TV. No place to put down any suitcases or packs. Had to put cases/packs on already limited floor space, or on the small fridge and we travel lite. Bed was hard as a rock. There was a nice bare lightbulb over the bed but we could not plug it into the tangle of wires hanging out of the wall where a plug-in socket could-have/should-have been. Small closet had two nice bathrobes.

BATHROOM; Small bowl sink. Provided soap but no shampoo or lotion. Soft white towels! The shower had a curtain but it looked like it had not been cleaned, changed or replaced in quite awhile.

SUMMARY; For the prices they charge you can do MUCH better in Luang Prabang. With a little attention this place could be quite nice. Unfortunately its not. Do not recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank PaulChiangMai
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We had a ground floor room at the back so our room was quiet in the morning, the whole area was quiet in the evening. It is a little away from the main street but that meant we had a nice meander in to town by different routes each time. They didn't speak much English on reception but there are so many places selling tours in town we were able to do everything we wanted during our stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed at the hotel five years ago and returned because I was quite satisfied. The place really deteriorated: Below-average staff at reception not really willing to help clients, dark and worn rooms with a strange lao-chinese mix of styles.
Generally o.k. but not for this price - there are definitely options with better value for money in town.
When it came to paying the bill we had lengthy discussions on which exchange rate to apply converting USD to LAK or THB - completely unnecessary and not acceptable that the hotel wants to make money with unfair exchange rates.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

A guesthouse on the main drag but with somewhat more acceptable prices. The rooms are not bad at all; the ones in the back building don’t have much of a view. Bathrooms are fine, everything is clean. There are no services offered such as breakfast or drinks but everything can be had around within a few meters. (forget about drinking the complimentary coffee in the lobby.) The rear building doesn't have Wifi, which they lied about when I checked in. The front desk people are not the friendliest you have ever encountered in the hospitality business but OK. English is spoken. And yes, the mattresses are hard.

Room Tip: I personally wouldn't get one of the four rooms off the lobby, for obvious reasons.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo