“My home away from home in luang Prabang”

Sayo River Guest House
Ranked #150 of 257 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“My home away from home in luang Prabang”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Love this place. Local. Quirky. Bend over backwards to make sure your stay is free from any difficulty. Can arrange absolutely anything. Free coffee in the morning, not a bad breakfast either. The rooms are spacious, clean and harboring a well stocked fridge. Balcony with an unparalleled view.creaky wooden floors, good pressure in the showers,rocking ac. do your best to get a room upstairs so you can sit in the morning and watch the fog lift from the Mekong. I have been to LP 7 times in the last few years and don't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs if you can.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I love Luang Prabang, and hope it will not turn into a Disney caricature, Holiday Inns, cotton candy, and meaningless plastic souvenirs. The Sayo Guest House is an almost perfect location - a few short blocks to the night market, and just one block to the river, with its many cafes, peaceful scenery, and spectacular sunsets. Across the street is a monastery, and one can watch the evening chanting from the courtyard and hear the drum beating to call the monks. Another short walk brings you to a viewing spot to watch the monks collecting alms. For me, like the late legendary hotelier Ellsworth Statler, the first three criteria of a good hotel are location, location, location, and the Sayo is nearly perfect on this score. My room, 01A, was spacious, well furnished, with air conditioning, a ceiling fan, TV with multiple language channels, a mini bar and two complimentary bottle of drinking water daily. The guest bath is not up to three star standards, but functions well, and the hot water is always available. Local touches, such as the handmade Lao paper lampshades, are charming. My room had a kind of loft with an extra bed. You cannot stand fully upright in the loft, but it served well as an extra bedroom, when a college friend who lives in Laos, stayed overnight. Breakfast is adequate; eggs to order, fresh fruit, baguette with butter and jam, and a choice of Nestle or Lao coffee. While the garden is not professionally landscaped, it is none the less a lovely place for breakfast. This is not a Holiday Inn, and I was thankful for that. I knew where I was and I reveled in the joy of a lovely guest house in one of the most picturesque villages in the world. The staff complemented the experience, with warm, friendly service, smiles, and always a cheerful "Sabai dee" to passing guests in the lobby. Very fairly priced.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PatrickLAX
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stayed at this Guest house for 7 nights. We had booked a large upstairs room, but when we arrived at about 7.30 pm we were shown to our room but it was not large but very small. The next morning we were moved to another room and this was the largest in the guest house it was very nice with big bathroom also, but again nowhere to put your clothes. It had a great view of the Mekong river. The breakfast was ok eggs 2 very small pieces of bacon, a few pieces of baguette, jam and mixed fruit . All in all it was ok but a little over priced.

Room Tip: Try to get room 3 on first floor old side of guest house it is nice and big.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean P
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here for a week during High Season and were given the biggest room in the property overlooking the Mekong River, in fact, when I say stayed a week the promotion at the time was "stay 7 nights, pay for 6". As we had the largest room a large King Bed, sitting area with table & chairs, plus a Lounge area as well, it was $55AUD per night, great value considering other so-called boutique hotels in the same area were $200+

The laid-back feeling of Luang Prabang was accentuated by the service offered by Nick, the Manager of the Guest House who was full of advice and helpful hints when booking our trips out of town, which I know for sure were much more cost effective than those being offered up on the main street.

You can walk everywhere in town from here, and the boat drivers on the river are just a few steps away. We picked up an hour and a half Sunset Cruise on a small boat at $6 for the two of us! As well there are Tuk Tuk drivers who'll take you to the waterfalls etc. for a reasonable price.

Breakfast was included in the price and there was always a choice of eggs, bread, fresh fruits, juices and coffee (the coffee was wonderful). Whilst it's nowhere near a 4 or 5 star experience, it's a very real place to stay. Very clean & friendly. I will return to the Sayo River Guesthouse.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We had a deluxe room in this hotel, and that really pays off. The room was on the first floor, and had a nice bed, minibar, airco, all we wished for. Best thing was the private balcony looking out on the Mekong river. There's 2 nice chairs, a small table, even a fan. Great for a last drink in the evening.
Location was a bit out of the main street, but quiet.
Con was the bathroom: we had to shower sitting in the bathtub, because the showerhead was only 1 meter above the ground.
Rooms on the ground floor don't have a private balcony, so that means you sit on the general walkway where all guests are passing to go to their rooms. But in the end there are only a few rooms in this nice hotel, so you won;t get disturbed too much.
Breakfast was simple but OK.

Room Tip: take a room on the first floor with balcony!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Opposite the Mekong River, I found this hotel so pleasant and relaxing that I extended my stay twice and was reluctant to leave. However, much of that feeling could be due to the laid-back atmosphere in this town. Combine a lovely laid-back town, with pleasant gentle people, and a large airy room with a great view, and you've got magic!
My room was upstairs (1 level) and had a large balcony overlooking the street and the river with chairs and table provided for the balcony. The room was large and clean, and the wifi worked well. There is very little provision for hanging clothes, but that didn't bother me.
I happened upon this guesthouse after staying one night on the other side of the old city, which I wasn't happy with due to no windows in my room and high price. I went walking the next morning to find an alternative. The manager at Sayo took me in his car to collect my heavy luggage once I'd seen the room and we'd agreed on price. I found the staff adequately friendly, other than one grumpy young man who had to get up from the floor upon which he was sleeping, to tend to my inquiries one morning.
I paid $30 AUD a night and was happy to do so (the other place wanted $45 for a balcony room!) The price was due to rise in November (high season), but the manager continued to charge me the $30 for as long as I stayed.
There are no tea or coffee facilities in the room, but free coffee and tea is available downstairs by reception at any time of the day or night as are the books and other reading material. (A help-yourself basis).
There's a lady in the next street (turn left when leaving guesthouse, then left at next street) who washes clothes very cheaply. I think it's equivalent to $1 per Kilo, which is better than paying per item. She does a great job.
I WAS told that cash payment was necessary, as is the case in many properties in LP. It's a nuisance I agree, but one we can happily accept if it means this town will remain less "commerialised" aka "spoiled" for a little while longer. Another inconvenience is the small amount one can withdraw from an ATM at any one time. I overcame this challenge by going into the bank and asking them to do a withdrawal of a larger amount for me, for which I wasn't charged. Our greedy banks in Australia charge each time a withdrawal is made, which makes withdrawing multiple times in order to get adequate money out of our own accounts, can be expensive.
The manager recommended the Riverside Travel Agent opposite the "Big Tree" in the same street, and I booked a "tour" to the caves with him. At the caves I had to pay an entrance fee! Also, the "tour" operator, or longboat driver, first stopped at a village, and we all went ashore to see streets of stalls selling the same made-in-china stuff that one sees at the markets (in the main). Then, after the caves, the longboat driver suggested we all pay him an extra bunch of money (can't remember how much) and he will take us up an adjoining river or contributory, which, due to two of us wanting it, we were all obligated to do, in a way. He claimed wonderful views etc etc. That took us about 15 minutes and it was nothing to write home about. I wasn't impressed with this "tour" due to non-disclosure of extras, (common, I know), and wouldn't recommend that travel agent.
I would recommend this guesthouse, and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Jordan
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I stayed here for four nights with a couple of friends. We had a room upstairs which was really lovely and extremely spacious, so great for a triple room. The room was also bright with plenty of windows and a nice view. There was a small dining/seating area by the windows, which overlooked the river, so it was a great place to relax after a long, hot day. The only negative is that the owner/manager and staff were not so friendly, which is a shame because everyone else at the several other guesthouses we checked out were so hospitable and friendly but we opted for this one as the size was great for three people. The location is also really good, with many cafes along that side of the river but also a short walk from most other attractions. But the old center of Luang Prabang is quite compact so anywhere is convenient.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends