“Heaven in the middle of a tyre city.”
Review of Tourist Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aleppo
Tourist Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Aleppo
Sydney, Australia
“Heaven in the middle of a tyre city.”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We arrived via bus from Antakya and went looking for accommodation. This hotel was the third or fourth we visited and we immediately fell in love with it. Firstly it was warm, December is freezing, and the owner was freindly and welcoming. He showed us to a twin room with our own bathroom and 24 hour heating. The bathroom was spotless and had hot water from the moment we turned on the tap. The room was away from the front so nice and quiet and had a TV although no english channels.

The breakfast was served downstairs and was excellent.

There was no wifi but we didn't expect this for $50 a night. Dinner is easily obtained from the restaurants nearby and the acess to the citadel and souk is a short walk away.

Only downside is the mountains of tyres in the repair shops all around and the possible hazard if there was a fire here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Nonthaburi, Thailand
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Considering hotels' rate in Syria, Tourist Hotel, Aleppo was one of the best value. Somebody told me that the owner of this hotel was a physician (was it true? :-p) and I was not surprised at all because the hotel was very clean.

The atmosphere was somewhat shady and cool because there were trees (in pots) on stairway and balcony near the kitchen. One of the hotel staff who cooked breakfast for me (named Ahmad or Ahmed) was friendly and funny. The room I stayed had a washbasin inside and a private separate bathroom which was also clean. The area outside my room (1 floor up from the office) was decorated with nice furnitures. One thing I didn't like about this hotel was that there's no wi-fi, I had to walk 10 minutes to a nearby 24-hour Internet Cafe and it was expensive (I couldn't remember but it was something like 100-150 Syrian Pounds per hour).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2011

If one word had to describe Aleppo's TOURIST HOTEL it would have to be "sparkling". Other words would include "friendly", "helpful" and "inexpensive".
After a less than satisfactory experience at Dar Halabia the night before (see separate review), we arrived at the Tourist Hotel around noon without reservations and asked Leslie (who speaks English) if we might see a room. She hesitated, "the room is not ready". We told her we understood it was too early to check in, but we just wanted to see a room and if it was messy we didn't mind. "The room has no furniture," she explained. "Every six months we take everything out and wash the walls." The room gleamed; literally. We talked to others who also reported their rooms were clean-clean.
We admit there is no art on the walls, its name doesn’t cause excitement and the common guest areas lack charm but we didn’t come to Aleppo to lock ourselves away in a hotel ... what we require is cleanliness, comfortable sleep, good value and location ... the Tourist Hotel was the right choice for us. The only downside we could find is that they did not have wifi ... at least you know up-front instead of being told "it is not working today".
Some rooms share bathrooms while others have ensuites. We paid a little more for a 3 bed room with ensuite. Room 14 came to approximately $30 US double occupancy per night. The beds were comfortable with foam mattresses. Furniture in the room included night tables with drawers, a wardrobe with plenty of hangers, a coat rack, chairs and desk. The gleaming large bathroom has an open shower area, toilet and sink. Room 14 has a small balcony; other rooms we could see had larger balconies or none - so if it is important, ask. Room 14 was one room up from reception and the breakfast room was one floor down from reception (no elevator). The breakfast was simple with real juice, tea, coffee, bread, butter, jams, cheese and olives served family style at a table with other guests. Our morning host was welcoming and a bit of a comedian.
The Tourist Hotel is in the New City, approximately a 15 minute walk to the Bab Antakaya gate - the western entrance to the Old City souq. WALKING DIRECTIONS: From the New City clock tower (intersection of Sh al-Maari and Sh Bab al-Faraj) walk west along Sh al-Maari to the second street on right, Sh ad-Dala. The Tourist Hotel is approximately one and a half blocks along Sh ad-Dala on the left just across from Spring Flower Hostel.
“Travel Tales Images of Syria - Aleppo: Old City” is a video which features the Tourist Hotel and surrounding area.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so you will need to use the stairs. Some rooms share bathrooms while others ha...
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank traveltales-ca
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We stayed here a few days after our tour of the Middle East ended, as we were now on our own. It is a modest place, but I agree that the staff is friendly and the hotel (once you find it) is well located. Since there are no house numbers in Aleppo, and the hotel isn't well known to taxi drivers, the best way to describe finding it by walking is:

1. Ask your taxi driver to take you to the Hotel Baron (stress on the second syllable), a well known landmark.
2. As you are on the sidewalk facing the front of Hotel Baron, turn right (away from the railway station) and go to the corner.
3. Turn left at this corner, and head toward the Christian Quarter (Jdeida) some two blocks. From the corner by the Hotel Baron, you may well see the hotel sign ahead.
4. Turn right at the hotel sign. The Tourist Hotel will be on your right just a few steps away from your turn.

The hotel is on a small street with a lot of tire and auto supply shops. Kind of busy with business-type street noise during the day, but not too bad. At night, things quiet down.

I hope this helps!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Although you seem to be smack in the middle of a quick fit centre this hotel is in a great location. The description in the guide book makes it sound a little sterile which it certainly isn't! The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the staff vwery nice and helpful. The layout of breakfast leads to easy chatting with fellow travellers.

Tours can be arranged by the hotel with fellow travellers although be aware that the half day trip to the dead cities does not actually visit the dead cities

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Hong Kong
Reviewed 28 February 2011

The room and toilet are spacious. We took 2 double rooms with a balacony. Staff is helpful. But beware when you take taxi to there for the 1st time as many are confused with another "Tourism Hotel" nearby. This hotel is located in a small and quiet street and even locals are not aware of it. It's near Raga Hotel in Baron Street.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I have stayed in this hotel previously & found it comfortable. However, last time I tried to stay there I made a telephone booking & they told me they would be full for the next 4 days until the Sunday. I said I'll postpone my arrival until then & I gave them my name & nationality & they told me a room will be ready for me. Upon arrival on Sunday early afternoon I was told that they had no record of my reservation & that the hotel was full! In my opinion, a hotel which does not honour telephone bookings is clearly not to be trusted.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo

Been to Tourist Hotel? Share your experiences!