“Witnessing a biblical event.”

Reviewed 1 September 2015

I can't bear to see if this incredible site has also been plundered and destroyed. Its location, high on a plateau overlooking a vast flat valley landscape is truly awesome. The site was (2007 when I went) extremely well looked after. There's the usual locals selling their handmade products, eking out a living selling olive soap, honey, postcards... very simple tourist objects. To see the actual tower where St Simon sat upon for a year just brought biblical history to life. It's a wonderful sight and site.

1  Thank Chris W

Reviewed 24 July 2015

I am adding photos to share memories of a beautiful place, the journey was amazing, such a beautiful country

3  Thank January1872
Reviewed 29 November 2013

It was a bit of a hike to get to it but its fully worth seeing.

Saint Simon was said to have sat on top of the pillar what a life.

1  Thank SenaniPonnamperuma
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Serene ruin of a monastery about an hour drive from Aleppo, situated among olive trees. Getting there, you will probably drive by abandoned buildings known as Dead Cities/Villes mortes, ask your driver for a short stop to go explore one of the buildings for example. A little eerie as no one knows with certainty why these villages were abandoned centuries ago.

3  Thank gammeldansk80
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 April 2011

My wife and I were on the way from Hama to Aleppo and we were ahead of schedule so we decided to pop in here. The images online had not been that impressive so we did not expect much, it was just on our "B-List" of things to see. And it was stunning. My wife and I both agree that it was one of the top things we saw in Syria. And since it is so close to Aleppo - and everyone who visits Syria has to go to Aleppo, right? - you should make a point of getting out here to see it.

2  Thank Flat_Planet