“dissappointing”

Ranked #17 of 157 Hotels in Jeddah
Epsom
“dissappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I booked the Mercure because of its location. As a single woman travelling in KSA I often get stuck in the hotel for long periods and thought I would choose one near the sea. But my room had no windows! I asked for a change and was told too full. The room was also on a smoking floor and had obviously been occupied previously by a smoker as was evident by the lingering mustiness,but on the plus side the bed was extremely comfortable. I am a business traveller and was using the wifi which wasn't working. After prompt assistance from a member of staff it restarted but the fault was intermittent and I had to keep fiddling with the modem wedged behind the tv. Jeddah and Riyadh are not the cheapest places to find decent good value hotel accommodation as a business traveller. The staff were extremely friendly, the food was ok but nothing to shout about. Would I use it again? Not so sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a window!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MTARCHOUN, General Manager at Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra.
At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that our Team is available around the clock to assist our guests with any issue that may arise.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Arabic first
Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was really looking forward to stay in this hotel during one of my frequent business trips to Jeddah and after reading all the positive reviews I kinda was convinced that's the place to stay. how wrong I was!
for starters: I most probably got the worse room in the complete building that was situated right above the main entrance and opposite a huge construction area. the noise there started at 6.00am and yeah it was all banging and banging. hence when I checked in I was told that was the only room available, hm that was interesting cause a big red sign outside was blinking saying rooms available. never mind though.
the rooms are very very small, new yes, but small and the bathroom is by far the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel so far. it was very difficult to dry myself without bumping into the toilet, best thing you can do just stand on the toilet seat and use your towel. yes that small!
the room service: I ordered spaghetti alfredo, yuck, the sauce must have come out of a can :-(
the breakfast: when I went for breakfast the place was almost empty, I counted the other guests, it was 7 in total though it took this waiter 25 minutes, I counted that too, to get me a cappuccino.
all in all, I am in Jeddah almost once per month and I decided I rather gonna go back to my 'old' hotel which is also not mind blowing but even less expensive and better than this one

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sir,

Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This appears to be a recently renovated hotel located quite close to the Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza hotels. The rooms are very spacious, the beds quite large and the TVs huge. Service is ok, nothing to hold at fault but nothing remarkable either.
Internet is blazingly fast, you can easily stream entire movies on HD quality.

The main drawbacks are the location, it seems to be one of Jeddah least known hotels and therefore finding a taxi that knows where it is is extremely challenging.
The gym is also quite small and the pool is a plunge pool rather than one where you can actually swim.
Lastly, the TV never switches off, it blacks out but there stays a “no signal” message floating on it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TheRealKhairy
MTARCHOUN, General Manager at Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Sir,
I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and I will certainly pass on your comments to my team. I know that they will be delighted to learn that their efforts have been appreciated and remembered. We welcome all feedback that we receive from our guests, including positive comments which help us to recognize and reinforce excellent service within the Team.
Kind regards
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I chose this hotel since I was going to spend the weekend in Jeddah and wanted to stay close to the Corniche.

This hotel seems to be quite recent so my room was clean and like new (but rather smallish)
Breakfast was decent - did not try the restaurant at other times since it was empty and therefore a bit depressing....
Staff was helpful
Price is quite good for the area
No complaint...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
MTARCHOUN, General Manager at Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Nicholas,

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

The Mercure is just behind the Hamra Corniche and surrounded by excellent options for dining and shopping. I thought my room was terrific - everything worked, the design was very attractive, and I even caught a glimpse of the Red Sea. Reception and concierge staff were professional and concerned to get things right, and the breakfast buffet was extensive and appetising.

The hotel has free fast wifi and there is a fitness centre with small plunge pool. The coffee shop also provides a pleasant base for informal business meetings.

The superior rooms offer upgraded amenities which include complimentary soft drinks and bathrobes, and the Dead Sea Minerals bathroom products were great.

I would choose to stay here again and would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014
MTARCHOUN, Manager at Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Mr. Cavalier,

Thank you so much for your feedback which is invaluable in our efforts to assess and continually to improve upon the quality of our services and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Kind regards