“nice try but sad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 154 Hotels in Jeddah
Cosmopolitan
“nice try but sad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Mercure surely does not live up to the mercure name...Its a one year old hotel that still trying. The people are willing enough but lack expertise..as is often the case in Saudi.

Okay enough to stay in but beware..little knowledge of travel times to airport, 15 mins..then 30 mins then 1 hour all within the same conversation. The taxi finally dropped me at the domestic terminal under instruction. although i was heading for Dubai !

as sais if you are independent and need no help there you will be fine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MTARCHOUN, Directeur général at Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra.
At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that our Team is available around the clock to assist our guests with any issue that may arise.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Arabic first
Beirut, Lebanon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Despite our company having a corporate account in that hotel and the hotel being in the famous le club accord chain, the following scenario has happened:

Our HR has booked me a 3 night stay at the hotel for a business trip with airport pickup (stating that the plane arrives at 8:40 which is the standard time for flights arriving from Beirut)
We receive an email from a manager in the hotel confirming the stay and the booking of the hotel
I arrive at the hotel at around 9:15 pm after coming from the airport directly.
Upon arrival, I am informed that my reservation is cancelled because I did not check in before 6 pm despite having stated in my booking that my flight arrives at around 8:30.
Following this, he had to call his manager who was sitting on the desk near him hearing everything and not reacting. The funny bit is the he used the phone to call his manager who answered a desk away from him and demanded that the situation be explained over the phone.

Note that the guy reading the time did not know what 20:30 meant so i had to explain that he had to subtract 12 from the time to know that it meant 8:30 pm.

No serious attempt was made to help my colleague and I find a room. However, after over an hour of phone calls and waiting, the shift manager told us that he has booked for us in a 5 star hotel with our same corporate rate.

We went to the other hotel and apparently he hadn't contacted them, so we had to also wait for around an hour in the hotel that turned out to be 3 stars eventually as per the picture in their hallway.

I am not sure what kind of service is this or what rule is this, but i personally do not expect such things from hotels claiming to be good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Travellers are raving about these Jeddah hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Its a new hotel located about 30mins from the airport. The rooms are spacious and nice. Everything you need is there.

The only negative I can think of is that there is absolutely no view from the room. I did not venture much around the area but i did notice there was a small supermarket around the corner.

Room service menu is impressive, breakfast selection was not bad either.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
MTARCHOUN, General Manager at Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra, responded to this review, 10 June 2014

Epsom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I booked the Mercure because of its location. As a single woman travelling in KSA I often get stuck in the hotel for long periods and thought I would choose one near the sea. But my room had no windows! I asked for a change and was told too full. The room was also on a smoking floor and had obviously been occupied previously by a smoker as was evident by the lingering mustiness,but on the plus side the bed was extremely comfortable. I am a business traveller and was using the wifi which wasn't working. After prompt assistance from a member of staff it restarted but the fault was intermittent and I had to keep fiddling with the modem wedged behind the tv. Jeddah and Riyadh are not the cheapest places to find decent good value hotel accommodation as a business traveller. The staff were extremely friendly, the food was ok but nothing to shout about. Would I use it again? Not so sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a window!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MTARCHOUN, General Manager at Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra.

Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was really looking forward to stay in this hotel during one of my frequent business trips to Jeddah and after reading all the positive reviews I kinda was convinced that's the place to stay. how wrong I was!
for starters: I most probably got the worse room in the complete building that was situated right above the main entrance and opposite a huge construction area. the noise there started at 6.00am and yeah it was all banging and banging. hence when I checked in I was told that was the only room available, hm that was interesting cause a big red sign outside was blinking saying rooms available. never mind though.
the rooms are very very small, new yes, but small and the bathroom is by far the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel so far. it was very difficult to dry myself without bumping into the toilet, best thing you can do just stand on the toilet seat and use your towel. yes that small!
the room service: I ordered spaghetti alfredo, yuck, the sauce must have come out of a can :-(
the breakfast: when I went for breakfast the place was almost empty, I counted the other guests, it was 7 in total though it took this waiter 25 minutes, I counted that too, to get me a cappuccino.
all in all, I am in Jeddah almost once per month and I decided I rather gonna go back to my 'old' hotel which is also not mind blowing but even less expensive and better than this one

Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This appears to be a recently renovated hotel located quite close to the Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza hotels. The rooms are very spacious, the beds quite large and the TVs huge. Service is ok, nothing to hold at fault but nothing remarkable either.
Internet is blazingly fast, you can easily stream entire movies on HD quality.

The main drawbacks are the location, it seems to be one of Jeddah least known hotels and therefore finding a taxi that knows where it is is extremely challenging.
The gym is also quite small and the pool is a plunge pool rather than one where you can actually swim.
Lastly, the TV never switches off, it blacks out but there stays a “no signal” message floating on it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TheRealKhairy
MTARCHOUN, General Manager at Mercure Jeddah Al Hamra, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Sir,
I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and I will certainly pass on your comments to my team. I know that they will be delighted to learn that their efforts have been appreciated and remembered. We welcome all feedback that we receive from our guests, including positive comments which help us to recognize and reinforce excellent service within the Team.
Kind regards