“calm daytrip”

and up
Private Tour: Anjar, Baalbek and Ksara Day Trip from Beirut
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Baalbeck
Reviewed 14 July 2014

If you do not like big crowds of tourists and do like historic sites this is right place to visit. Got there by public bus which was easy. There were only 5 other tourists except us which is amazing for place like this. On the way back to Beirut we visited Ksara winery, small tour in basements and wine tasting

1  Thank amurniece

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This Location is super awesome. Once you step into it you will feel like you are living the ancient eras of it.
After only wondering around the location for about less than 10 minutes I was able to understand why the UNESCO considered it as an International heritage.
It will take you about 2 to hrs driving from Beirut to this location but it worth it. Finally as a bottom line: this is a must see place while you are in Lebanon.

1  Thank Wissam-AlRasheed
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Fans of ancient Rome should absolutely not miss this stunning collection of temples, located deep in the Bekaa Valley of Lebanon. It contains an amazing collection of ruins that somehow, miraculously survived earthquakes, invasions by conquering tribes and changes in religion. It is a huge complex and takes your breath away on climbing the first set of stairs and viewing the columns of the ancient Temple of Jupiter. This was my second visit and I was still totally in awe when I glimpsed the massive temple remains.

English-speaking guides are available at the gate, though we chose not to use one (which caused some consternation). It was just enough to wander around the stones and imagine what life was like in this far away outpost of the Roman empire. Due to the current political situation in the Middle East, and the various warnings by the US and UK not to go there, we were the only tourists visiting the site and I have to say that it was a magical experience. Plus, all the photos we took were not cluttered up with people! I would say that this is a perfect time to go. However, it is important to note that there were many army and police checkpoints on the way and there is certainly an element of risk due to the proximity to the Syrian border and the current climate.

In the summer, Baalbek hosts an international festival and they were setting up the stage and seating while we were there. I imagine this would be a spectacular venue to see any performer and hope to return for this some day.

All in all, a fantastic day out and something that can be done from Beirut in a day. Make sure you have plenty of water, because it is boiling once inside!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have seen many of the great ruins of Classical civilization, and Baalbek can rival the best for its fine state of preservation and grand architecture. We visited last Thursday and were one of only three groups present during our two hour stay. Unfortunately for Lebanon, tourists seem scared to venture into this region, unnecessarily so in my opinion. That enabled us to experience the city with privileged intimacy, but the locals who depend upon tourism have been devastated as a result, and expect to be besieged by street merchants upon exiting. Any serious student of ancient Rome and any tourist to Lebanon should not miss this spot.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

As soon as you enter you can see this is not just another ancient temple! It's massive! No trouble getting there. The hotel advised against going but I am so glad I did! Hired a local guide that was very imformative (30 euros). If you are in Lebanon, it should be top on your list! Nothing can prepare you for the grandeur of Baalbeck.