All reviews small scale delicious home made jams interesting person drinking tea quiet at night tour guide minutes walking naqsh e jahan square sufi bazaar courtyard iran toilets architecture tourist
Reviewed 4 August 2016

I am very surprised to see very bad reviews about the Dibai house, escpecially because people complain about things that did not bother me that much.

First, the house is a lovely place, very well renivated by Soufie (the owner). I loved the blue natural paint in the courtyard, the ''hammam'' with the mirror work and the lovely rooms (cloroed glass windows, etc.). This old mension (several hundred year-old) is absolutely charming. Soufie was very helpful and a pleasure to talk to. She booked our taxis, arranged payment with another tour guide in Yazd who was not organized at all and helped us find solution to reduce the temperature in our room.

Because, NO, the Dibai house do not have air co in the room. And this for a simple reason: the building is ''classified'' as historical and Soufie cannot creates holes to includes pipes and ugly air co system. So the first night, we were very hot (we went in July) but we quickly got used to it and slept like babies for the following night.

Yes, there are cats, but it is pretty funny (the most talkative cat came in our room one night but it quickly rushed away when we ''shussed'') but I would not say it creates any annoyance at all. (they are too afraid of you to come and eat your cereals...!) It mainly had to the ''homy feeling''.

The breakfast was very good - the best I had in Iran. I would not say it was amazing, but compared to the other tasteless bread and disgusting jam we had in other hotels, this one really stands out. Soufie makes jam herself and they are better than my grandma's! We also had cereals, fresh fruit and good tea.
The bathroom is private. The only this is that you have to cross the (small) courtyard to go there at is not connected to the room (Again, Soufie did her best since whe could not destroy walls and rearrange the house to comply with modern requirement). I did not find it annoying. I read people complaining about the fast that there is no separate shower and that the shower is next to the toilets. But, honestly, I saw that everywhere in Iran!. All worked perfectly, and everything was super clean.

Eventually, I would say it is a bit overpriced (hence the 4 stars). We paid 65€ and you could have more modern comfort in other hotels at the same price (not in Ispahan though...). But I loved the atmosphere, the fact that there are not many other tourists in the house, and Soufie (and the lovely staff in general).

There is no fridge in the room - which is a very positive aspect for me as I found this habit very annoying (the fridges make noise) and extremely unesthetic. You have a fridge available in the kitchen (where it belongs..)

It is Iran, and if you are not a bit adventurous, you will be definitely challenged during all your trip. Of course, Iran's hotels are not as perfect and luxurious as in Europe or other very touristic places. We never had good wifi in any of the hotels we stayed at. The Dibai house is certainly one of the best place we stayed in Iran (charmful, Iranian wide with good comfort). We came down to earth with a bang when we arrived in our next hotel in Yazd (same price but very disgusting....).

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fanny D
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

Dibai House may claim to be a hotel, but it is really a grossly overpriced hostel.

The building itself is nice, but this is outweighed by the many problems and the price of 75 euros per night.

Everyone in our room was bitten by insects. Contrary to what we were told when we booked, there are no private bathrooms. All bathrooms are shared.

No rooms have air conditioning. Only one room has access to wifi. The lock on our room was broken and the owner refused to fix it. There are cats which eat your breakfast if you get up for a second.

The owner would not help us book tours or transport. The very basic breakfast was only available for 1.5 hours.

Worst value in Iran.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank R9752JVchrisw
Reviewed 14 July 2016

I arrived at Dibai House at 7:30am after a long trip from Europe that had me transfer airports in Tehran in the middle of the night.

I was not expecting to be able to go sleep until my check-in time however the staff was waiting for me and guided me through my bedroom. I could not have appreciated more to be welcomed in such a way. After a long nap, I was offered tea.

The shower is outside and despite the hot weather, my room was not very hot. It's traditional yet it felt luxurious.

Breakfast was okay with coffee, bread and jam. It's definitely expensive compared to alternatives you could get for that money, however the experience is well worth it.

Tres calme, et la literie etait confortable.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2016

This hotel is expensive for the service and quality you receive. The price is out of proportion: € 80 per night for a room for three persons.

1) There is no air conditioning which causes sleepless nights in 39 degrees. There is only a fan that makes a lot of noise. Since there is no AC, you are forced to open the large windows at night. You can see your neighbors in their bed at the other side of the courtyard, so much for privacy...
2) There are no closets to put your clothes in.
3) The shower is just a showerhead between the toilet and the washbasin, there is no separate shower or bath. The toilet does not work properly either.
4) Breakfast is served at 8 AM without exceptions. We asked several times to have it at 7.30 AM but that was impossible. Our guide had to wait on the street because he was not allowed to come inside the hotel. Moreover, there is not enough coffee for everyone when having breakfast (or you wait for 15 mins).
5) There is a small kitchen that is not well equipped. There is no water, there is only one small fridge for all the guests, there is no fridge in the rooms.
6) You have to make a reservation by paying in advance on an account in Spain. We did not get any confirmation of this payment.
7) Last but not least, there are cats everywhere. They sit on the napkins of the tables where you eat. Since you have to open your windows at night because otherwise it is too hot, the cats also come through those doors into your room.

In conclusion, the price you pay is not proportion with what you get. It is a very beautiful house, but it is not a good hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank Delphine Kim-Li... P
Reviewed 12 July 2016

EXPENSIVE ! 80 euro/night, room for 3.No AC!!! No place to put your cloths.No soap in the shower of the slippery bathroom.Bathroom and toilet are outside the room and toilet does not work.Because of the heat you have to open the large windows of the rm and you will see and hear your neighbours in their bed at the other side.
Breakfast at 8am without exceptions. We asked to have it earlier at 7.30 AM but that was impossible.Your guide has to wait in the street, not allowed to come inside!
Not always coffee! If you re early, you have to wait, only 4 cups a time.We were 5.If you re 1 hour later, still ask for coffee, no cheese, no fruit left. You have to ask it gain and again.They don t like that you ask something.
Small kitchen, almost no material if you will bring the food for the evening.No water, the fridge in the kitchen is to small and there is none in the rooms.
You have to make reservation by paying euro in advance on an account in IBiza, no confirmation of this payment.
But the worst of all.Cats everywhere, on the napkin of the tables where you eat, in the kitchen, at night, when you open windows because of the heat and no AC in your room, the cats come in to your room.
Only a beautiful house to see, not to use, and speaking French is NOT enough to receive people and make them feeling comfortable.

4  Thank driesmansrita