“tacky and disappointing for the price”

The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina
Ranked #53 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
sydney
“tacky and disappointing for the price”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Maybe I was very unlucky with the rate- over $600 AUD per night, but the hotel is definitely not in keeping with the tariff ( and comparible stays at I have experienced at other 5 star hotels in Dubai).
I found the decor dated and in poor taste (just my personal taste, but I expected more of a Westin branded property).
The executive lounge had a bad smell of stale food near the entrance each time I visited. The tables were sticky. The food served for the evening cocktails for lounge members at the outside restaurant was very poor- frankly almost inedible (I was travelling with children, so went there once for evening cocktails). One of the pieces served on a spoon on the dessert plate looked like a pancake type of Millefeuille, but turned out to be a stale savoury cheese with sweet mango on top. Really unpleasant, and Im not sure if it was a mistake or an experiment, but it didn't work either way.
I really don't like to pinpoint any particular staff, as I think they work hard under stressful circumstances, but a few looked stressed over my stay.
I was pleasantly surprised when my child's rollaway sheets were changed at turndown in the evening ( she had left a mark on the bed in the afternoon)- that was impressive. I was given fresh sheets though, even though I'd only slept a few hours(very late arrival), and hadn't left a card on the bed requesting them- not a complaint, but sheets were fine, and it wasn't necessary or requested ( Dubai needs to save water where it can!). I like environmental initiatives in hotels, but it's important they are not there just for fashion.
I couldn't find a hotel guide in my room, so had to call front desk to find air-con controls.
None of these issues were in any way major, but I thought the rate was over the top for what I got compared to my stays at the Grosvenor and other hotels. I actually chose the Westin even though it was more than I paid for my other stays because I thought it would be stylish and elegant. The hotel isn't those things, and I wouldn't have minded if I hadn't paid so much for my stay, but i actually paid less at the Grosvenor and got much more value for the rate. Now I know the Grosvenor is owned by the same group, I would think twice about staying there too though.
I rarely complain about services, but the rate I was paying led to me having fairly high expectations, and I left feeling very disappointed. I was also given a letter asking if my stay was going well, and if I would like anything for my stay, but it was pushed under my door as we were checking out, so it was fairly meaningless ( and actually again makes the hotel look a little unprofessional).
I had to book the hotel in a hurry at the last minute, so I followed a brand I trusted and quickly checked up with Trip-adviser, but I think the reviews I saw on there were misleading. I wrote to the manager Hector after, and he tried to call once, which was appreciated, but I missed the call, so I didn't get a chance to speak. I asked him if he could call back, but I guess he didn't get a chance. i don't think I'll stay in a Westin property again after this experience, even though the Westin Melbourne is one of my favourite hotels. I thought the name meant some sort of consistency, but obviously not.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SydneyStylist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed at the Westin because we stopped there on a previous holiday to pick some people up for a City Tour and thought it looked like a lovely hotel in a great location. We were staying at the Palm Tree Court in Jebel Ali.

When we checked in at the Westin at approx 8pm, we were told that our room wasn't ready and that they could either offer us a ground floor room or we would have to wait until 10pm for the room to be ready. The room was not being vacated until 9pm and then they had to clean it. I didn't take the ground floor room option as I was worried it might be noisy and I had booked a sea view room and was looking forward to having a nice view so we waited for our room on the 5th floor. As compensation, we were offered a free drink (non alcoholic) and we accepted but looking back, I wish I had been a bit more assertive as I think it was quite unacceptable that we arrived in the evening with two young children and couldn't get to the room straight away.

When we eventually arrived at the room, we thought it was lovely. There were two king size beds, which were so comfortable, it was hard to get up in the morning! The bathroom had a large bath with separate shower cubicle and separate toilet and a basin. Robes, slippers and toiletries were also supplied. In the wardrobe was an iron and board, shoe shine and a safe. Not enough hangers for four people though. We had a view of the Palm and on a clear day could see the Atlantis Hotel. The view was nice but there was an odd shape bit of land in the sea which looked scruffy and like it had no purpose. On a Friday and Saturday, the sea was very noisy with Jet Ski's bombing around.

The Blue Orange Restaurant where we had breakfast was very nice and there was plenty of choice for all cultures and nationalities but sometimes the service was a bit disappointing as sometimes there would be no one to show us to a table and then we would have to ask several times just for some coffee. We also had Dinner twice in the Blue Orange but found it very expensive for what we got. It was only a buffet but struggled to get our monies worth. The Bussola Restaurant was much nicer.

There were several swimming pools including a very child friendly pool with a small slide. The whole pool was covered to protect the children from the sun which was great as it was very hot. There were loads of life guards too. A few minus points about the pool areas was that it wasn't always easy to get a drink, you had to wait for a waiter to come to your area. In other 5 star hotels we have stayed in, there has been a button on the parasol which you can press to call someone. Also, on the weekend, the hotel allows locals to come in a use the pools. I think they let far too many in as they were taking all the sun loungers and it was far too busy. The hotel need to have some sort of policy where the Guest (staying at the hotel) gets priority over the general public.

The staff at the hotel are very friendly. In the Bussola bar one evening, my daughter wanted a Vanilla Milkshake but they had run out of Vanilla Ice Cream. She was a bit upset that she couldn't have one so the waiter (I wish I had his name, he was Sri Lankan) went out of his way to find some ice cream to make her happy. He also did it again the next evening. He is such a credit to the hotel.

One day we went to Wild Wadi as we had been to the Atlantis water park on our previous holiday to Dubai. Wild Wadi is cheaper but the Atlantis is better. Also, if you take a taxi to Wild Wadi, they are not so keen to return you to the Westin because it is in the wrong direction! We were refused by about 3 taxi drivers because of this. Luckily there was a man taking control of the taxi queue and eventually got us one. My husband had read that it is an offence for a taxi driver to refuse a fare. The taxi drivers are generally really rude and unfriendly but taking a taxi is so cheap. We went to the Dubai Mall and Burj Kalifa which is quite a distance and it cost 20 AED. It's not advisable to try and walk anywhere outside of the Westin as there are road works and it's really dangerous.

The Penguin Club was great. Our 6 year old asked to go every day and loved it. It is really secure and they have a variety of activities.

We love Dubai and will return again in a few years but i'm not sure we will stay at the Westin. There are certain things you expect from a 5 star hotel eg. turn down service (our beds were never turned down) fruit and cold towels at the pool (we were only offered a cold towel once).

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor as it can get noisy and you get better views.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
MSeyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear BacardiCheltenham,

thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us. Although I am delighted to hear that you generally enjoyed your stay with us and that your kids enjoyed the Resort and the Penguin Club I would like to assure you that we will review the slightly disappointing experiences you have had with us.

It is great to see that you mention our associate in Bussola and that he was able to make your daughter happy after all. It is the commitment of each of our team members that is the most rewarding to me and I will make sure to share your comment with them.

We hope to welcome you back in the future, to show you that we listen to our guests and continously improve upon the experiences that are to be had in our Resort.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My first impression when walking into the hotel was wow, staff were really friendly and quick allocating the room, and what facilities were offered. With a sea veiw room flat screen tv, shower, bath, and spacious room.
The choce of different swimming pools were great and kids pool was shaded with the offer of toys and water slide.
Beach was fantastic and hotel staff would always assist, with cold drinks, I've towels and water sprays.
With the sister hotel next door Le meridian, the penguin club for children was located there, safe and secure, my boy thoughly enjoyed it and staff were great with different activited everyday.
Resturant choice were great too, and staff in blue and orange were we go for breakfast, we're always ready to assist.
Overal great hotel and fun for both children and adults, would recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear l1N4,

thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your recent stay with us and I am delighted to hear that our team made you feel welcome.

It is great to hear that your kids enjoyed the Penguin Club and our Kids Pool and that you have found the time to experience some of our various restaurants. The breakfast buffet in Blue Orange has indeed a vast selection and it is good to see that we were able to cater to your needs.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future for another relaxing visit.

West Sussex
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Having stayed in Dubai several times, we deceided to have a change of hotel and were very much looking forward to our stay at The Westin, the trip advisor reviews were mainly very positive.We were travelling as a family of 4 and our children are 7 and 5.

The Westin is a newer hotel on the Jumeirah Beach and on arrival its looks stunning, the lobby area is beautiful, check in was quick enough and we were quickly into our room.

The rooms are quite modern in their look, we had opted for a twin room with an extra bed as our children are a liitle bit old to be sharing beds, the extra bed made it a bit of squeeze in the room, there were some nice touches dressing gowns, slippers for the children and little ducks of bubble bath for them, we had no turn down service on several nights!

The Grounds of the Westin are kept beautifully however the toddler/non swimming pools were up a flight of steps which meant I spent alot of time away from my husband and son whilst my daughter enjoyed the toddler pool. The family pool was very busy and several children had lilos in it which at one point I was nearly drowned by one, the pool is narrow and one depth all the way round (1.5m). I think The Westin really need to look at their policy regarding inflatables. We used the Horizon pool which was much better however the staff really need to look at their service ordered drinks and they never arrived!

We had opted for the club lounge package, it is a good lounge although not as good as some in Dubai, breakfast selection was quite poor, my son asked about waffles one day and was met by a blank response so we ended up having breakfast in Blue Orange which had a much better selection. The afternoon tea was excellent though. As we had the children we had to take the Apertivo in Blue Orange and we only took this option one evening as we felt it was a liittle anti social we were behind a screen/wall and had to wait sometime for the canapes!

Blue orange was very pleasant for breakfast and had a wide selection, the staff were friendly however when Friday came it appeared all efforts were going into the Brunch, the breakfast buffet was quite cold and not pleasant.

The Westin holds a friday brunch called bubbalisicous and the hotel changed on the Friday, it felt like hotel guests took second place, the lobby to walk through to the pools were bars/buffet stations and when we returned to our room to let my 5 year old have a sleep before going out, the were children running around the hotel and on the 9th floor screaming down to the lobby area which was rather disturbing. When we returned from our meal about 9.30pm we were met at the hotel by a large group who had over indulged in drink and were loud and racous and nearly knocked my daughter over. Not a great impression for a family hotel.

Overall we had a nice time, the weather was great and we found the pool at the Le Meriden much better for family use, the beaches were lovely and The Westin is a nice looking hotel, however their is serious lack of consitency with service in some areas.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I went with my family to Westin Dubai and had the most amazing relaxing time ever, the staff were really friendly and hardworking and very professional. They put little towel figures on the beds for when we got back to our rooms, I know how some people go on holiday for the relaxation not the heat, I'm personally not one of those people but as soon as you stepped into the hotel from outside an overwhelming burst of cool air brings you right back down to normal temperature and you feel instantly relaxed. That was te best holiday ever and i am planning to go again this year or next!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
MSeyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Victoria K,

thank you for posting your great feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our beach and our air conditioned and relaxing interior once you came back in from a day in the sun.

Thank you as well for your kind words on our associates which I will be sharing with them. It is always great to see that we have made our guests holiday special and relaxing and I am happy to see that we have managed just that during your time with us.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future for another great stay.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

What a wonderful hotel. They've actually managed to get the balance right for those of that like 5 star hotels, but also want to bring our children with us.

We booked into an Executive Club room, and we're given a fantastic room on the 6th floor. The Executive Club facilities were excellent, fantastic breakfast and afternoon tea each day, and the staff were so child friendly, talking and playing with them each day, making them feel like a proper guest too (as it should be). Nothing was too much trouble even though at times they were obviously very busy.

The room was a great size, and once we asked for extra supplies for the children, they were replenished each day, it was lovely and clean, beds turned down each night, and even courtesy calls to make sure we were enjoying our stay.

Whatever service we asked for, bell boy, laundry etc, never took longer than 5 minutes, perfect.

We found all of the staff so friendly, no matter what their role, they all stopped and said hello with a genuine smile. So nice and just makes the experience better.

The pool facilities were excellent, with a great selection of pools, so you can vary your "pool days". My oldest child was very sad to be leaving as she loved it so much. She's a learner swimmer, but there are so many lifeguards (who are physically in the kids pool), we just felt safe all the time.

We used the watersports centre for kayak hire, and again they were so good getting the kids sorted, and chatting away with them.

We ate in the Pizza Terrace, Hunters Steak & Grill, and the Blue Orange. Faultless food, and having "buffet" food cooked fresh in front of you with your chosen ingredients was a very nice touch, which shows why this hotel deserves the 5 stars.

Would we return? Without question, yes and most likely will do soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
MSeyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 10 June 2012
Dear PakgntonFamily,

thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent vacation experience in our Resort. Looking at your review and all the activities you have done it seems that you have had a busy couple of days.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our pool and beach facilities and that the handson approach of our lifeguards and watersports team was to your liking. It is always a pleasure to see when guests used most of our facilities throughout their time with us it seems you have done exactly that.

Please rest assured that I will also share your comments with our team and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Libertow
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The Westin is a true gem, which offers true first class service. From the first impression on checking in, to the rooms (size, quality of fittings etc), the restaurants, the beach etc. everything really is done to the highest quality. It easily outscores any previous 5* hotel I have had the pleasure to stay in. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
The single negative during my stay was noise from a neighbouring room on the first night, but the hotel quickly acted and arranged a new room for me. And, impressively, the following days they also made a point of checking that all was ok in the new room. Noise can happen in any hotel, but its the way a hotel responds that sorts out the wheat from the chaff.
Highly recommended and definitely a place I'd love to return to.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear ScottandMonikaB,

thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that our team was able to make you feel welcome throughout your stay.

As you have mentioned it can be challenging to satisfy every guest's needs and I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed during your first night. It is however great to see that our team was able to rectify the situation and ensured that you had a relaxing stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future!