“Perfect hotel for a relaxing break”

Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa
Ranked #49 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Perfect hotel for a relaxing break”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My mother and I recently returned from a 7 night stay at this hotel and had a fantastic break. We stayed in a one bed apart (room 7508), which was extremely spacious, clean and had all the facilities you could need on holiday. The apartment was cleaned everyday. The hotel itself is excellent, has a relaxing and calm atmosphere, and has a range of restaurants. I went to dubai as I wanted luxury and great service, with friendly & polite staff and this is exactly what I received at this hotel. The staff at the hotel were fantastic, always happy to help, go the extra mile and always smiling. For example, Kushal, Alex and Yadav are a real asset to the hotel. We also had treatments at the spa, which I would highly recommend.

The hotel is better in reality than the pictures / info you may come across on various websites. I have been to Dubai before, and stayed at a range of hotels, including the Jumeriah Beach Hotel and think this hotel will probably be one of the best hotels in Dubai once it becomes fully operational. However, the hotel is new and as with everything that is new, it takes time for it to be exceptional and perfect in terms of all the little details (e.g time taken to provide room service, clearing tables due to staff shortages etc) and so if that is something that will bother you, then you should probably allow a few more months before you stay at this hotel. This was not a problem for me as the service the staff provide overcomes the minor negatives that some people may complain about (and even with these minor issues, the service you get at this hotel is 100% times better than any of the hotels in England!).

Some people have commented that the pool might not be able to accommodate all the guests / there is not enough space - I think some guests may not realise that there is probably an additional 4/5 pools in addition to the main pool which were never busy when I was there. In my view, there are more than enough pools / sunbeds.

Prices at the hotel are expensive (for example £4 for a can of coke) but I wasn't surprised at this as I would expect this to be the case at a luxury hotel. I suspect that the prices are in line with the prices charged at other luxury hotels in Dubai. This is something that should, however, be factored in if you want to stick to a specific budget.

Overall, if you want to go for a relaxing beach break with excellent service and forget about the pressures of work, this is the perfect hotel. I would love to be back at the hotel tonight!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank G K
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel The Palm Dubai and for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

It was our great pleasure to look after you and serve you according to our high standards. I am pleased to read that you had a great time at our hotel and you enjoyed our facilities.

Your valuable comments concerning our friendly, helpful and passionate ambassadors will be distributed to the relevant department as these serve as an encouragement and a reward for a ‘job well-done’.

On behalf of my team, I would like to thank you for your nice comments.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in our hotel soon and create one more ‘Magnifique’ Journey for you.

C.Schnyder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (910)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at lots of nice hotels in the UAE including the Al Maha, The One and Only The Palm and The Emirates Palace we decided to try the sofitel as we got an addition to our family in january and wanted to take our baby girl on holiday.
Having done extensive research we decided to book with the sofitel due to it advertising itself as being child friendly with the pools, club and even restaurant. The kids restaurant really appealed as our baby is currently being weaned onto solids. I was a bit apprehensive that we would be going only 3 months after it opened so prior to booking I decided to contact the hotel to check if it would be fully open or whether it was opening in phases. I was told by the reservation team it would be fully operational upon my arrival so we went ahead with the booking.
On the run up to our holiday i had been monitoring the updates on the hotel on facebook and had seen that not all the restaurants had opened, one of these being the kids restaurant. I emailed to see what contingency plan they had in place as I needed to make arrangements for my baby. There response was....order room service!! I was totally shocked at this as the room service menu as good as it was had nothing suitable. My 8 month old baby is not ready for burgers or club sandwiches just yet and its an expense we hadn't catered for.As we had a luxury room I had no facilities to cook my own food and although not ideal as I was on holiday I tried to find a solution by seeing if we could have an apartment so i could cook. This was refused. After many emails back and forth they eventually agreed to cook food for her each evening and deliver it to the room. The food they cooked for her was ideal and the executive sous chef even came to our room to discuss her requirements when we arrived which was a bonus and so brownie points to him for the food and service he delivered.

We arrived at 9am having got the overnight flight from manchester. I appreciate that check in wasn't until 3pm but we were told we would have to wait as no rooms were available. This was clearly a lie as we were stood at the middle check in desk and the people either side who were also checking in were taken straight to their rooms. I asked if there was somewhere we could get changed and sort the baby and was directed to the changing area by the pool. this was fine except no baby changing facilities. In fact I could not find one baby changing facility within the hotel, having checked the male, female and disabled toilets. It's not very appropriate or hygienic to change a baby on the floor. It advertises as a child and family friendly resort yet it clearly has forgotten about its youngest guests. Also at check in we were provided with a list of restaurants available. We were on half board basis and were told we could eat at Manava (buffet) or get a credit of 150 dirhams at the other restaurants. When I booked the holiday I was told that the half board included Manava, Hong Loong (Chinese) and Bottega (Italian) and then credit towards the other restaurants. I had this in an email direct from the hotel itself. I questioned this at check in and was told that Hong Loong was not inclusive and was a credit only and that Bottega wasn't yet open. I wasn't happy with is as it was not what I booked so I asked for the duty manager Isabella. We eventually got it sorted so we could also dine in Hong Loong. It it took me forwarding the email and phone calls to make this happen. Unnecessary hassle after a long flight and not the customer service you expect from a 5* hotel.

The food in the buffet (Manava) was ok but not much variety so apart from breakfast each day we only ate dinner on 3 occasions. Service was horrendous apart from Riswan (think that was his name) who was the best by far.For some reason they don't serve orange juice on the buffet, the waiters serve it when you arrive. You get given a glass and that's it. You can only get more if you grab a passing waiter which is easier said than done. We weren't offered tea or coffee so had to ask for that also. On one occasion my husband asked 3 times for tea and it finally arrived once we had finished. In my opinion put the orange juice on the buffet because the staff can't cope. The service is slow, tables aren't cleared and they are constantly dropping things. Also we were on half board basis and would give our room number when we entered the restaurant. During our breakfast a bill was then shoved under our noses for us to sign. This is pointless. Several people were complaining whilst we were there and yes it hasn't been open long but it's been 3 months now and maybe management should take suggestions from the reviews as many people have commented on the level of service they received.

The food in the remaining restaurants was fantastic. The porterhouse steak was so amazing that we ate there 2 nights. Hong Loong was my favourite though. Maggie the manager was exceptional, they need managers like her in Manava. The food and service in Hong Loong was faultless. We also ate in seafood restaurant Moana which was lovely. The only let down was in the French restaurant Studio Du Chef. We had to wait about 5-10 minutes for a menu. Then when it came to ordering both mine and my husbands main courses were not available. This information would have been useful when giving us the menu as we then had to spend another 10 minutes re-choosing. When we eventually got our food it was lovely but our evening was a tainted when the cocktails I had with the meal were shown on the bill at 95 dirhams instead of the 55 dirhams they were advertised in the menu. At nearly double the price I queried this to be told it was a printing error and they weren't 55 dirhams. Again this should have been mentioned when I ordered as at nearly £20 a cocktail I wouldn't have chosen this. Have to say Francesa who works in the restaurant was lovely and chatting to her made our evening.

The room we had, a luxury sea view was lovely and big. The shower was the best we have ever had. Turn down service started very early and we had to send them away on numerous occasions. One night because we went for dinner at 7:15pm our room wasn't serviced as apparently that was too late! The restaurants don't open until 7pm so the majority of people are going to still be getting ready until this time.The service needs to be later. The rooms lack mirrors. There is a big mirror in the bathroom but none in the room itself which was ideal for blow drying and straightening my hair. A long length mirror is always useful and am very surprised they haven't got these in a 5* hotel. Also there were three of us I'm our room yet we were constantly only left 2 towels. I either had to write notes or ring housekeeping. This is pretty basic stuff to remember.

The pool area is lovely. The sun beds are very close together but if you wander around the resort you can find some in clusters of 2/3/4 if you wanted more privacy. There are also cabanas but unless you raced down at 7am you were out of luck with these. Some of them weren't even occupied until 10-11am so this needs to be managed better to make it fair on the other guests. Not sure there will be enough sun beds when the hotel is fully open as the pool area was always busy. There were a lack of bins around the pool area, I could only find 2 on the entrance of the beach which was a bit annoying when we had empty water bottles and litter, it was a bit of a trek. Didn't venture onto the beach as the baby would eat the sand but there were lots of beds, again possibly not enough when the hotel is fully occupied as they were always taken and the beach was busy every day. Only half of the beach was open so it may be that they will open that in the future and more beds will become available.

Food and drink was expensive at the resort. You have to pay for water, unlike many other 5* hotels such as the One and Only The Palm where it is complimentary. The hotel taxi is expensive. We took it to visit the new Anantara hotel on the palm which has just opened. It's literally a 5 min ride aroundand cost 30 dirhams. We got the Anantara hotel taxi back and it was only 20 for exactly the same route. Have to say the Anantara is lovely and definitely worth looking at if you are considering a holiday on the palm.

Make sure you get a copy of your bill the night before check out. Ours nearly had a 1000 dirhams on it which didn't belong to us. Some appeared to be mistakes such as a number input error but others we had to get the slips out. Someone had been signing our room number and our name with a completely different signature. My guess is it was staff members and they said they would investigate but who knows if they actually have. Had we not studied the bill we would have been overcharged almost £200.

If your going there to celebrate a special occasion don't expect anything. It was my birthday during our stay and my husband tried to organise a cake. Did it arrive, or the hotel even acknowledge that it was my birthday....no.

This hotel could be better and if the management team start listening to feedback it could be exceptional. Not sure I would return until it has been open longer and even then only if the price is right as i consider there to be better resorts on the palm.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ManchesterLucyLou
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable comments with us following your stay at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

I am glad to hear that our Executive Sous Chef and his team took good care of you and your baby, and to learn that you enjoyed most of our facilities highliting Hong Long service and our signature restaurant Porterhouse.

Your constructive comments concerning our services and facilities are highly appreciated and will be shared with our department heads from the different departments for inmediate improvement.

Once again, thank you very much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel should your travel plans take you to Dubai in the future again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We live in Dubai but wanted to do something 'special' for my birthday, so decided to staycation in our lovely city and enjoy what the tourists enjoy here! We went for Sofitel because we really love staying in new hotels, and the reviews for this one impressed us. After a few minor teething problems during the check-in process, the hotel management and staff made made us feel very welcome the moment we stepped into the hotel. The 'hangin garden' walls are truly spectacular. The rooms were very spacious and the interiors lovely - beds amazingly comfy. We loved the bothroom and the fact you could open the doors to see the outside as you showered - very special. We ate at the Porthouse Stakehouse, but don't be fooled by the word 'stakehouse'...this restaurant really deserves a Micheline Star award - the food was absolutely heavenly! And the service very friendly without being intrusive. We also had some treatments at the spa - gorgeous, serene, tranquile, super relaxing. The pool is lovely and big and the beach area more than adequate. Overall, an amazing two days and we will definately be returning for another sneaky staycation, very soon in the future. Favourite hotel so far in the UAE! Congrats guys!

Room Tip: Ask them about the balcony to your room as some have dividers and others don't. The ones that do...
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your complimenting review of your recent stay with us at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.
We are glad that we suceed making your birthday celebration an unforgetable one.

On behalf of my team, I would like to thank you for your nice comments.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon and create one more ‘Magnifique’ Journey for you.

Derbyshire
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We are recently back from a 14 night stay at Sofitel the Palm and had an amazing time.

We have been to Dubai before and have visited many of the 5* hotels and believe that this is a great hotel now and will be an amazing hotel when it is fully operational.

The staff can be a bit slow, especially at breakfast and dinner but once the staff have got to know one another and have got all of the systems in place we believe the service will improve and this will make the hotel one of the best in Dubai.

All in all the slow service did not make a difference to our stay at the hotel and neither did the other issues that people have mentioned on Trip Advisor.

We arrived at the hotel before 9 am and were greeted by the staff and were given a cold towel to freshen up. We were pleasantly surprised to find that our room was ready for us and we were able to check in then and there even though check in is not until 3 pm.

Check in was quick and efficient and we were given details of the hotels services, the half board offer and was then given a tour around the hotel before being taken up to our room.

The vertical wall garden is very impressive and the staff were looking after this on a daily basis. Also the hotel lobby/reception area is beautiful and tranquil.

We stayed in a sea-view room and the room was a good size and the Lanvin toiletries were brilliant. Our room was cleaned to a high standard every day and the cleaner even put all of our shoes on towels for us.

The main pool can be busy at times and the cabanas were taken early. However we always found a spot and Thomas was extremely helpful and friendly every day. He always greeted us with a smile and was able to find us a good location with plenty of shade; which was needed in the heat.

All of the pool staff worked extremely hard in the difficult heat and we believe that Thomas went the extra mile to make our experience magnifique and we feel that he deserves some praise from management for his hard work and personality.

There are also other pools located around the hotel and the beach which was clean and tidy.

Food and drinks are expensive but this is expected with any 5* hotel in Dubai and was something that we were prepared for before our stay and again this did not have an impact on our holiday.

I am a fussy eater and the food was brilliant with great selection and choice which changed every night. The staff at Manava were good and we found that Anil, Archie and Visbeth are great assets to the hotel. They always greeted us with a smile and made sure that everything was ok and that we were having a good time.

They even remembered our room number and made a real effort with us every day.

Whilst we were staying at the hotel some other guests were saying that they did not feel the hotel was great and should not have been opened without being 'perfect.' They were also comparing it to other established hotels in Dubai which we felt was unfair especially when some of the issues raised were that they did not get a free upgrade or that dressing gowns were not changed daily.

We found that if we raised an issue or a suggestion to the staff they took this on board and during our two week stay we saw an improvement.

The hotel is newly opened and they are still trying things to find out what works best for them and they are also willing to listen to any guests feedback.

A newly opened hotel is going to have a few teething issues but the hotel is improving and will soon be as good as any other 5* hotel in Dubai.

We would happily recommend the hotel to others and will be going back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us excellent feedback on Tripadvisor.

I was happy to read that you had a good experience staying with us and you enjoyed all of our facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Sofitel The Palm, Dubai.

Yours sincerely,

kent
Reviewed 30 September 2013

just come back from a great stay at this hotel room was large and well equipped facilities good although some still to open beach great and swimming in the warm sea fantastic pool looked ok but swam in sea as a little hard to find space around pool but that did not matter as sunbeds on beach available staff at hotel very eager to please .buffet restaurant food very good if a little busy in the morning rush more staff needed to stop people just wandering in and sitting down apart from that great and good choice in evening must say steakhouse very good and the food in the french restaurant fantastic and the staff and the chef very friendly and make your meal a real treat... would love to go back to this hotel

Room Tip: had a palm sea view room which was great
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and comments about your experience at Sofitel The Palm, Dubai.

We are happy with all the compliments extended to our resort and to learn that you enjoyed most of our facilities, our fantastic pool, signature steakhouse and our french restaurant, Studio du chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel is beautiful and is the best 5star I have ever stayed in. I have also been to Dubai before for a week. It is even better in reality than pictures in the website. The staff are all very friendly, the service was excellent - all staff do everything they can to ensure you have a great holiday. The food was very nice indeed, I am a fussy eater and there was always plenty for me to eat - cakes amazing !! One day at lunch the chef made me a whole pizza as he overheard me say it was a shame there was no pizza that lunch time! I liked the fact there were lots of healthy options. Staff are very good at suggesting things for you do do kn your holiday, some great advice. This is the best holiday I have ever had so far! I can't imagine why anyone would rate this hotel any less than 5/5 , we have just returned and will definately be going back again.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us excellent feedback on Tripadvisor.

I was granted to read that you had a “Magnifique” experience staying with us and you and your family enjoyed all of our facilities.

I very much appreciate your valuable comments regarding our facilities, our helpful staff and our delicious cakes !

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in Sofitel The Palm, Dubai.

Yours sincerely,