“a beautiful hotel.....but...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
worcester
“a beautiful hotel.....but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel from 06th Feb for 4 nights and booked with last minute . com and after reading the reviews was looking forward to it.
1. When we arrived 9.30am our room was not ready as it was too early which was fine and expected the same so they took our telephone number and we went off to do some early shopping. the hotel rang us about 11.30am to advise our room was ready which was great as this is still lots earlier than the normal check in.
2. I had to pay 2000 dirhams in cash as a deposit against room expenses because they could not take my debit card ,but hey ho these things happen.
3. the hotel is beautiful with a "living wall" just off the lobby, I must say very impressive. the pool area and gardens are also lovely and the pool attendants are very helpful and attentive .
4. our room (no 1170) was spacious with a fantastic bathroom and "lanvin" bathroom products. the large balcony backed onto the "crescent road" and then the sea but the road was quiet and the view of the sea was beautiful. the t.v was a 40" flat screen and had a great reception . overall I would say the room was a very good 5 star room, just one thing I thought was a little odd was the fact that although the mini bar had beer and spirits it had no wine, you had to order the wine from room service ??.
5.This is the part that really lets this hotel down in my opinion is that at night the place is like a "ghost town" . the restaurants and bars are virtually empty now this could have something to do with the fact that at about 5pm to 9pm for a bottle( yes no pints!) of beer is 45 dirhams yet in atlantis during there 3 hour happy hour its only 25! also a small glass (125ml) of white wine is 65 dirhams and in atlantis is 55 dirhams but you get two glasses for that!!. it's hard to judge what demographic this hotel is aiming for . we were advised they had 80% occupancy whilst we were there but I would advise this felt like 3% at night.
All in all a fantastic hotel but would I stay here again? now there's a question

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonymacworcester
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Sofitel The Palm.

It was rewarding to read that you appreciated the hotel’s facilities, in particular to highlight our spacious rooms and our green wall decoration.

We have taken note of your constructive feedback about our mini bar selection, evening entertainment and pricing strategy and we definetly look forward to improve our services accordingly.

C. Schnyder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in February 2014. I lived in Dubai for a few years and still live nearby but had never previously been to Sofitel The Palm. It is quite a long way out of town was the first impression. It takes perhaps 15 minutes from Sheikh Zayed Road to get to the hotel (speed humps and traffic around Atlantis don't help) so not ideal if you want to do a lot of sightseeing. It does however mean you get amazing views (especially at night) back to mainland Dubai from Dubai Marina right across to Burj Khalifa.

Check-in was OK but the hotel hadn't matched up the 2 bookings I'd made separately for consecutive nights as my plans had changed. Nor did they pick up on my membership of their loyalty scheme.

I had only booked their basic room but it still had a sea view and balcony with a view over towards Burj Khalifa. Unfortunately the balcony also overlooked the busy road around the outside of the Palm - lots of noisy construction traffic although this was only audible when the balcony door was open. The room was well designed and spacious and had a good sized bathroom. Nothing to fault at all inside the room. I'd arrived late so ordered room service which arrived prompty. The next morning I ordered room service breakfast which again arrived prompty. All the room service food was good quality, well served and reasonable value.

I had an afternoon to spare so relaxed by the pool which was very pleasant. There is also a large beach area. There were plenty of pool/beach attendants on hand to help out with towels and food/drinks orders. There were also plenty of sun loungers even though the hotel seemed quite full.

The second evening I tried the buffet restaurant. It was fine but nothing impressive. I had expected Sofitel would have made more effort. If I stay again I would try the French restaurant or steakhouse. The bars were all very very quiet for a weekend night so the Sofitel so if you want entertainment you would need to go to one of the livelier hotels nearby e.g. Atlantis.

I would definitely recommend the Sofitel for a relaxing break in a quiet part of Dubai but if you want to be at the centre of things consider somewhere more central.

Room Tip: avoid the road side rooms (advertised as sea view) and ask for a pool view if you want to use the ba...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JJimBean
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us excellent feedback on Tripadvisor.

I was extremely happy to read that you had a “Magnifique” experience staying with us and you enjoyed all of our facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Sofitel The Palm, Dubai.

Austrian Alps, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I stay in Atlantis the palm since they open and my friend recommend me to try porterhouse in the Sofitel.
Hotel look amazing bit different then Atlantis but it's really amazing !! Main reason to visit to this hotel for porterhouse !
As on arrival hostess showed us the table which as per them is most amazing table because you can see the chefs in action , I was surprise the restaurant was full and service was still fast and so professional .
We order starter scallop and crab cake I notice this two dish are every steak house but trust me the taste is not like every steak house it was amazing !! For my kids we order kids steak and trust me it was so tender that and taste was amazing ....
Middle corse chef send us lemon sorbet with yuzu caviar and believe me since we came back my kids whole day talk about that sorbet .
At the last we got steaks and it was so amazing and I feel so proud to say that I never had juicy steak I'm my life do far !!! My wife had Irish tenderloin and my self had Aus tenderloin !!sides crispy mushroom and truffle potato was full up our meal ...
I just wana cong to porterhouse team and GM of the hotel to have such a amazing team and most off all chef Adnan who's make our meal so amazing and provide us such a amazing experience ... Again thanks a lot for wonderfully dinner.... And I will make sure next year when we will plan for holidays I will stay with Sofitel and fine in porterhouse !! My kids love it

Stayed February 2014
SofitelDxbPalm, Guest Experience and Quality Management at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor regardng your recent stay with us.

We appreciate your valuable comments and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our amazing food.

We will be excited to welcome you back to Sofitel Dubai The Palm soon for another “Magnifique” gourmet and overall experience for you.

Guest Experience and Quality Management
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

It is one of the best hotel in dubai.It Not only has the wenderful room and conditions but aslo has a good location.It is on the plam of dubai,next to the seabeach(cheaper than Atlantis),it has a personal seabeach,you can see the Atlantis and Burj Al Arab from the beach.In addition the staff of this hotel is very frindly kind.We arrived the hotle at about 6:00 am.The duty manager Ahmed Shehta and Tanveer give us a very spcial Preferential treatment that we have been offered an Early check-in and Room upgrade.Furthermore check out time is 2:00 pm.
The only shortage is we book half board but not include any beverage and table-water.The drink have been sold on a very hight price in all the restaurants.

Room Tip: You can ask staff for help if the room is not to your liking.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed all our resort has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

Sincerely Yours,

C.Schnyder
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed 3 nights here at the end of January. We were a bit tentative given previous reviews but went with our gut feeling and booked the hotel - we could have not made a better decision than this. We checked in after spending a day at aquaventure and immediately we were greeted with a refreshing towel and drink; the lady at check in (unfortunately do not remember her name) very kindly ensured check in was done quickly and very promptly asked someone to escort us to our room. Only when arriving in our room did we notice that she had upgraded us to a suite (we had booked a luxury sea view room with halfboard) - she must have noticed it was my birthday the day before and granted the upgrade.

There was a welcome selection of macaroons and then we were given chocolates by housekeeping (which were thereafter put on the bed daily in the turndown service).

The room itself was amazing and impressed compared to many of the other 5 star hotels we have stayed at in the past. The staff over the course of our stay offered the highest calibre of professionalism and service.

Being on half board we did get a chance to try out different food options at the hotel - breakfast everyday was fantastic. On the first night we dined at Porterhouse and the food was just brilliant. At this stage may I make a special mention of Prakash who served us and did an excellent job at that. We then had buffet meals for the last 2 days and the food selection was good but desserts even better. Again, a special mention for Sajjad in the Manawa Restaurant with whom we shared a very interesting conversation.

We had our young child with us and at no stage during our stay did we ever get the impression that anything was too much trouble and the hotel seems to be very welcoming to people of all ages. The kids club was also of the highest standard.

We really have no criticisms of this hotel and having had the benefit of staying at 3 different 5 star Dubai hotels during our stay, we can say with confidence this was by far the best one (the other two were Atlantis the Palm and Al Ghurair Rayhaan).

Our other concern was transport to and from the hotel and though it is a distance from Dubai Mall and the souks, taxis are easily obtainable. The taxi price to the Deira is about 90 AED and to the Dubai Mall cost about 60 AED (or thereabouts). The hotel does offer a free shuttle service to the malls and aquaventure but given the number of stop overs it takes much longer to get to Dubai mall so we opted for taxis instead.
However, given the brilliant service at the hotel, you find yourself not wanting to leave.

Overall as a summary, from our experience, this is truly a 5 star luxury hotel and the staff deserve nothing but praise.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Apollo2801
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from the stay at our resort with a bigger audience.

All the guests’ comments are very important for us as they help us in continuous improvement of our service.

We are pleased to know that you really liked the concept of our resort and you truly enjoyed its facilities, the restaurants as well as the Kids Club.

Thank you for extending complements about our ambassadors. Your comments are very encouraging and motivate us to be even better in future.

It will be a sincere pleasure to welcome you back to our French Polynesian Resort and create more “Magnifique” memories for you.

Guest Experience and Quality Management
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Sofitel Palm Dubai. The beaches were clean and had sufficient places to sit and relax., Crystal clear sea water and can find sea shells. Seen starfish floating also. The breakfast menu was faboulous. Wide varities of food from mexican, indian, chinese, european. Drinks variety, cheese , salads. japanese food..cakes etc. Hotel is at pleasant and excellent location

Room Tip: Choose apartment if you are going as a family of 4 and you are allowed to do cooking and washing etc...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Anuj-sg79
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us excellent feedback on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Sofitel The Palm, Dubai.