“5 Star upmarket waterpark for families...and 5 star prices!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #91 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Cambridge
“5 Star upmarket waterpark for families...and 5 star prices!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Today we returned to UK after a wonderful Trailfinders 14 days personalised tour : 11 nights in China, and the last 3 nights in Dubai at Atlantis.
This is an amazing and large hotel at the end of the Palm. We were warmly welcomed and because we were early we received a complimentary upgrade to an Atlantis guest room in the West tower with a sea view. The room was spacious and well designed and really looks as good as on the hotel's web-site. Excellent walk in shower with rain head, separate toilet, and deep bath opening out into the room via sliding doors.
We set off for a tour around the hotel to get our bearings. We were on a half-board arrangement through Trailfinders and thank goodness as the prices are 5 star for food and drink. For example 2 cheeseburger meals with fries and a soft drink was 130 AED, around £22; 2 x 500ml bottles of pepsi by the pool were 40 AED, around £3.45 each. You get the picture.
The highlight at Atlantis is the waterpark and swimming with dolphins.
If you are looking for a quiet hotel for mainly adult couples then this hotel is probably not for you. This is an upmarket family friendly hotel with excited children everywhere.
We booked evening meals in Saffron, Rostang and Locatelli restaurants. Of the three we most enjoyed Locatelli for its Italian food, then Rostang (French brasserie) and finally Saffron. Saffron was a huge restaurant with buffet food from around Asia. Although the food quality was very good the room size made it impossible to generate a relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: Just be polite and smile when checking in. The receptionist offered us a complimentary upgrade and a...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Schoky1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,577)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed at the Atlantis recently. I took this decision after painstakingly reading all reviews. A typical resort hotel, marginal service, reminds me very much of Vegas hotels.( (atleast the Vegas hotels are affordable) The service was below average for the price we paid . A request to address a broken hand shower elicited assurances that some one would be on way in 20 min and no one was there afer an hour. At 630 clock in the morning when my head was bursting from jet lag head aches,it took me half an hour to be directed to a coffe cafe in the restaurant. When I stepped in it , I was asked to wait for half an hour as they are not open until seven ( all this for poor quality 12 dollar coffee ) . I will definitely not be staying in 500 dollar resort where I cannot find coffee until 7 am . In addition, after shelling down 400 usd ,you would have to pay 99 Aed for internet 1 mbps.

It is far away from any thing else . The so called " lost treasures" is nothing different from other standard acquariums. I did not find any differernce between the Dubai Mall acquarium.

Bottom line , if you are looking at the 400-500 usd range there are other excellent five star hotels in Dubai where you are pampered . I would not return to this touristy , cheesy , resort .Rather I would make a day trip to the water park

3 Thank rajpdx
Riyadh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

This is a Las Vegas type of hotel, with beach facilities (perhaps more like Atlantic City, then?). Everything is huge, aquarium is impressive. Kids loved the waterpark, which was included in our package. The Imperial Club option was convenient, check-in and check-out was really quick, especially when you compare with the relatively long lines in standard check-in. Imperial club included breakfast and snacks all day long. The "snacks" part was a little more than that in the evenings, so you could have relatively light dinner with the options served in the Imperial Lounge: sushi, sandwiches, some pastries, non-alcoholic drinks, etc. included in the package. The waterpark is definitely a fantastic option for kids, but the options (dolphin experience, stingrays feeding, etc) are simply too expensive. We did the ray feeding option, which is more reasonable in price, but everything in Atlantis is somewhat steep in price. The restaurants are very expensive, we had our own rental car and decided to visit restaurants outside of the resort, which were certainly more affordable.
Regarding the rooms, they were a little disappointing. I have stayed in at least three other hotels in Dubai, and all of them were nicer in this department. It seems like they ran out of money at the time they needed to furnish the rooms when building this place. Definitely not impressive. A redesign of rooms matching the luxury of the lobby and other open areas would be great for Atlantis, but I guess it would be an extraordinarily expensive task because of the size of this place. However, I would say that the beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean, and the service was excellent. Sound isolation was not that great either, but for us it was not a deal breaker.

2 Thank RiyadhI_doc
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

My review is so good you will think, he works for them or has an interest. NO.
This hotel is fantastic because its cleaner than a Hospital, decorated like a Palace, has food that could have been prepared by a Michelin chef, massive rooms, and the most polite staff who are all happy to work there and just want to please you. The water park is superb and the trips laid on were very good value for money.
My only comment to the manager was that a few more games to help interaction with other families, could have been laid on but he explained that due to Ramadan this was reduced.
FAULTLESS is what I would call " Atlantis The Palm " and cheap any the price.

Room Tip: We had a Deluxe room and was more than ample for a family of 2 adults and 2 children (both aged 12)
1 Thank Cos C
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

We flew to Dubai for 3 nights for the first part of our honeymoon before flying onto the Maldives for 7 days. The first thing that hits you you get out of the airport is the heat. so hot & humid be prepared to drip with sweat!
we had around a 30 minute drive from the airport to the hotel. It is like New York in the sun with lots of interesting shaped buildings some that are replica to New York. July can sometimes be very hazy with the heat so you struggle to see some things from a distance but it's only because of the intense heat that its like this.
Check in- we arrived @ 7am in the morning and our room wasnt ready (wasnt a problem at all was to be expected) the check in staff we lovely and couldnt do enough for us. They gave us tickets to put our bags in a luggage area and asked us to leave our number so they could call when the room when it was ready. That they did! We then collected our key for the room to find out we had , had an upgrade to a Tower room and our bags were in the room when we arrived.
Room- WOW WOW WOW! Our view was looking over the top of the Lost chamber , waterpark and Burj Al Arab (when it wasnt too hazy) the room was amazing, double walk in wardrobe, with safe and ironing board with iron. Mini bar with crisps, chocolate, coca cola etc. Bathroom had double sinks, bath, wet room, toilet and bede. Bed was huge with TV and writing desk. We didnt really have a balcony but you could step out to see the view.
Restaurants- We were HB at the hotel ( we werent advised that some of the A La Carte restaurants werent included in the HB package and that you had to pay extra for these, a little disappointed as the sushi restaurant was expensive for what it was so decided to go to the buffet instead) The buffet is fabulous with food ranging from indian,chinese,english,sushi basically everything you want and always hot! we ate here every day and never had any complaints :)
The lost chamber - WOW what a sight it is amazing to think that this is inside a hotel it is stunning and such a focal point. we visited inside ( free) and the things in there were amazing from Jellyfish to stingrays. Divers have feeding times in the tanks which is funny to watch, but the funniest thing was seeing divers go inside the lost chamber tank and HOOVERING the bottom of the sea bed. they do this so there bactaria cant build up on the floor of the tanks. Crazy! but brill to watch.
Waterpark- it was that hot that when we werent sightseeing we were in here all day! what an amazing waterpark, so much fun and always something different to go on beware though queues are huge around dinner time so make sure you go @ 10 when it opens. You get in free to the waterpark if you are staying at the hotel.
The hotel is HUGE and i would have loved to stay longer than 3 days. One of the bars nasimi is a bit like Cafe del Mar, with sofas, and beds on the beach and an oppurtunity to smoke shishas. i dont normally smoke but the grape and mint was gorgeous.

Things to do:
Burj Khalifa- the tallest building in the world. An amazing structure, we did it at sunset however as previously said because of the haze in the sky we couldnt really see alot. defiantly worth the experience. pre book @ the hotel
Water fountains- these are outside the Burj Khalifa . Beautiful!!!!!! the fountains dance to music and it is so amazing to watch and FREE!
Dubai shopping Mall- the largest in the world. just an experience i was in heaven !

Gold Souk- everyone says this is a MUST in Dubai we attempted to get there but didnt look into it sucessfully on how to get there so missed the oppurtunity but if we went back would make it a must see!

Dubai Autodrome- As a gift to my husband i bougt him a F1 drving expeirence @ Dubai Autodrome (book on the website for 875 AED) around £145. its 45 mins in a taxi and make sure you ask for Dubai autodrome its in the middle of no where. the driving was 20 mins but my husband LOVED it, the sound of them going round the track was electric. He was buzzing all day after he had done it.

Desert adventures-This was the highlight of my holiday!!!! We booked this at the hotel. We were picked up from the hotel in a jeep at 4pm and drove to the desert for some FUN! there were 27 cars with 6 people in each when we went, all of which drive up and down the sand dunes giving you the time of your life, so much fun. after about 2 hours driving you stop to watch the sunset! beautiful!!!!!! Then they take you to an arabian camp very traditional with rubgs on floor and seats on the floor. you are welcomed with warm tea and prunes, then have a 2 course meal ( fabulous food ) you can smoke shishas for free whilst watching a belly dancer. There is also an oppurtunity to ride a camal but for 2 minutes, such a funny experience so defiantly do it.
All in all Dubai was amazing and a GREAT start to our honeymoon! a must do!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Seekers08Quality
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

Well, we live in Dubai, and we absolutely love Dubai, I think it's absolutely the best place to live with a family, but anyways, on to the review...

We stayed in Atlantis for two nights (We have a house of our own less than 10 minutes away) and the experience was remarkable! We loved Atlantis, it's such a beautiful resort hotel and totally worth the price.

Check-In
We obviously checked in online through the internet, we had booked an Imperial Club room which had many benefits with it. So if you're planning on staying in Atlantis, definitely choose the Imperial Club package. The benefits you get with it is a whole 12 hour snacking cafe/casual restaurant, you're check in will be done in a separate area, there fore it will be done quicker, you get free break fast at either Kaleidoscope or Saffron which are buffet restaurants. There is free access to Aqua venture and The Lost Chambers, There might be more which I haven't mentioned but it's definitely worth it.

Room Decor:
The rooms are pretty much plain, there's not much to them, but where ever your room is located, you are 100% guaranteed a pleasurable view! There isn't any difference between the normal guest rooms and the Imperial Club guest rooms as for the decor. The room how ever is very soothing, although if you're sharing the room with a group of friends, you might have to take the shower instead of the bath as the shower faces the room and it has two sliding doors right over it with out a lock, I guess the purpose of the sliding doors was so that some one can take a bath while watching T.V or looking at the view. You can find out a lot of the prices and activities through the T.V which is the source of giving the guests information, which is new, and i personally have never seen anything like it before until Our stay at The Yas Hotel which was a few months after our stay at Atlantis.

Service:
The staff at the hotel are extremely helpful and friendly, they are keen on helping you if you're having a bit of trouble, however, this attitude get's a bit off when the situation of your Luggage comes up. We have staying at the Atlantis twice (But I'm telling you about my latest Stay) and both times, we had experienced our luggage arriving an hour or two later! Which is outrageous because you lose lots of precious time worrying about your belongings! If you call the staff at the lobby, all they'll do to stay out of trouble is tell you you're luggage is on it's way which is false! Honestly, they have no idea where you're luggage is! So I suggest you take your luggage up to your room by yourself no matter how much the staff insists on taking it up for you.
Staff in the restaurants are also friendly, there is good service, you're plates will be gone as soon as you get up to get more food in buffets and the meals are gourmet level.
As for the staff in Aqua Venture, I intend to tell you about them later on in this review.

Aqua Venture:
Aqua Venture is the best experience I've had in Atlantis so far, I've been there thrice and my visits could not be better! ( May be a little room for improvement )
Aqua Venture Rides:
They are extremely enjoyable, and you'll find body guards as friendly as they'll make jokes along the way which puts on a good impression of Aqua Venture as a whole. Even though you might find the kiddy pool too kiddy! I suggest you definitely go there, you'll see lots of Adults playing there too! As you go higher and higher up the ride, water will be dumped on you by other people, as there are buckets over head in a few points up the ride, there are water guns which are enjoyable to play with, there are slides, small but fun. What I suggest you do in the Kiddy area is sit under the large bucket where you'll find a lot of people already sitting there, what happens is the big bucket fills up and every 5 minutes or so, the water will pour down right on you which is a fun experience.
Please, Please, please take flip flops with you because I saw a lot of people who had forgotten their flip flops and were walking under the shades and tried to get in to the water as fast as possible because the floor will be REALLY warm and your feet will be dry and full of blisters if you forget your flip flops. What happened with me is that I guess someone had forgotten their flip flops so they decided to steal mine! And that made me very angry because even at a 5 star hotel, you can't trust people to be grown up and buy some from the souvenir shop right in the hotel where you go to Aqua Venture from! And one more thing, you will definitely scrape your toe in the water, so just watch out for that, because the floor in the pool is very rough and pointy and it hurts to walk on it, i guess they tried to make the feel of a beach but it's definitely something I Dislike about Aqua Venture.
Staff:
You'll find the body guards very helpful and friendly so it's not them you have to watch out for, it's the ones who just walk around Aqua Venture, they're usually wearing a hat, and faune shorts and a faune button down shirt which says Atlantis on it. They can get really rude and if you're just a visitor to Atlantis and not someone who is staying overnight (they can tell by the tag you get from Atlantis on your hand) they will be extremely rude to you and they won't let you have access to the main entrance of Atlantis, instead, they will send you through another way which I found rude because once I went as a visitor with my friends and they made us do that. Plus, one thing I had noticed was that they were even more rude to South Asian people and looked down upon them, so if you're a South Asian, report them and take note of their name because they will be unbearably rude to you and if you argue with them, they will threaten to call security, so it's best not to argue with them and just report them to the front desk by giving them their name (they'll be wearing a pin with their name on it).

So that's is all I have to say about Atlantis, I hope you enjoy your stay, Atlantis over all is just satisfying, nothing special but at the same time, it's worth the money if you count out the Aqua Venture staff and some bad things in Aqua Venture. :)

Take the imperial club Room because it is cheaper (although it may look expensive at first) but if you take a normal room, you'll have to pay for a few things you don't get in Imperial Club rooms and the total will be more expensive :)

Room Tip: Stay in the Imperial Club
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank maham1
Amman, Jordan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

we booked atlantis with the ramadan sohour offer with very high expectations. Unfortunately our experience is very mixed and rather tells us not to return. the check-in at the hotel is like entering a mall and not like a five star hotel. it took us 2 hours to get a room. in the meantime we had a lunch to kill waiting time but the food at caleidoscope is not worth of the money. the room was pretty okay although the decoration is pretty low class - the rooms have no personal touch.

i did not understand certain things until now: why they have only one restaurant with european/western breakfast when the majority of the guests (even the asians) prefer to eat that kind of food. we had to wait 30 min in a long line to get a table. the coffee is terrible and far bellow expectations. the table was dirty as it was visible that they were struggling with the high influx of people. the breakfast is pretty standard and nothing really special. i personally find funny that they don't had low fat yoghurt.

the hotel has a large pool which supposedly for adult but when you enter it is a children playground. it was very disappointing and noisy overall.

i found shocking that such a big complex does not have a pharmacy and even a nurse when medical assistance needed... that's not acceptable. there is also no shower gel given at the bathroom and of course u can't buy in the hotel.

to be fair after we complained so much on different things we have been received an upgrade on the last night which i consider rather a joke as who wants to have an upgrade on last day....

if you look for classy people and relaxing vacation go to One and Only or Kempinsky... in my view it is over-rated by the hype...

on the positive side - the pillows are amazing and if you have the budget to eat room service it is worth

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple