“Can't wait to go back”

Ranked #97 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
London
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

I spent 4 nights at Atlantis, the palm in Dubai with my mum. We got home yesterday.

We both really enjoyed our stay and neither of us can wait to go back. We're definitely staying for at least a week next time (maybe 10 nights if possible).

The hotel oozes luxury and it was definitely worth the money, in my opinion.

We had a very good flight with Virgin Atlantic and arrived on time. We weren't due to check in till 14:00 but our room was ready early so we got to check in at around 10am.

Some guests stated in previous reviews that checking in took a long time, but in my opinion, this largely depends on the time of day and month of the year as there will be peak times when check in takes longer and people need to keep this in mind. You're also provided with info on the choice of restaurants you can eat in, dress codes, pre-booking tables and other useful info that I feel is important. A copy of your passport is taken, then you may wish to leave a cash deposit or card details for extras you consume during your stay and this takes time.

I don't understand why people can't just be a little patient and let staff do their job. If we simply checked in and had a finger pointing in a random direction of where our room was or which lift to take and didn't get given useful info, we'd be confused and upset. I personally wouldn't want to spend time chasing staff for info that could have been provided to me at check in.

Reception wanted debit/credit card details so they could take a deposit of £180 to pay for food & drink etc that my mum and I would order during our stay.

I didn't like the idea of doing that so I was then asked to leave a cash deposit of the same amount.

I managed to get reception to allow my mum and I to just pay for our bills as and when we ordered anything which was much better. It enabled us to keep an eye on what we spent and not have any surprises when we came to check out.

The hotel staff were all very friendly, respectful and polite. They honestly can't do enough for you and it made the whole holiday that little bit extra special.

The hotel is really gigantic but you don't need to go galavanting here, there and everywhere if you don't want to.

The hotel have buggy's like you see on golf courses and the hotel have staff that drive you around on them so you don't get lost or tired walking around. You're given a wrist band so staff know you're a hotel guest and not a visitor while on the buggy's.

There are signs everywhere and staff to help with anything you need.

My mum and I went to the adventure water park. There are lots of different water slides and rapids that all age groups can go on. It was great to see staff dotted around everywhere, even when you went under a bridge etc there was someone there. I even saw staff in the water to help if you needed it.

I wasn't brave enough to go on the really big slide but I went on the rapids and a few of the other slides. One of the slides takes you through part of the aquarium and you have your picture taken by a member of staff that you can buy if you wish.

My mum and I went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch on our first day and shared food as the portions were big enough that we didn't need our own food. We settled the bill straight away and did this throughout our stay.

We were on a half board basis and chose to have dinner as part of the package and ate lunch that we paid for.

We had 2 dinners at Saffron which serves an array of food from the Far East such as sushi, dim sum, Chinese food, along with food from Indian cuisine such as curries, daal, parata, potato curry and a whole load of other foods. There honestly is so much to choose from and too much to mention.

The food isn't bland and boring and they have show cooking aswell.

There are themed nights so be sure to ask what they are just in case you fancy going somewhere else for dinner. They had a sea food themed night in Saffron but my mum and I weren't super keen, so we ate in another restaurant we were allowed in called kelidaskope. We also ate our breakfast in this restaurant.

I counted 21 different types of cereal just out of curiosity and couldn't believe how many there were along with all the other different food on offer.

There were 7 different types of bread and even eggs that has been boiled for different amounts of times for you to choose from.

All the hot drinks and fresh juice are inc in the buffet breakfast but you have to pay extra for soft drinks.

All drinks for lunch and dinner are extra.

Prices start from around £4 per glass for soft drinks. Some people complained about having to pay extra for drinks but I believe this stops people from wasting and telling themselves that they've paid for it like they have their food so if they don't finish it, so what.

A lot of people waste food and drink, especially when on holiday. I think the Atlantis hotel have found a way to reduce this and at least if it still happens, it's at a cost to the holiday maker and not the hotel.

There are around 7 different restaurants to choose from on the half board basis and an advanced booking needs to be made for almost all of them to ensure you get a table.

My mum and I didn't eat in Roastang, but my mum did buy a crepe from there one lunch. Roastang is a French restaurant. There's another restaurant called TBJ (The Burger Joint) which you can eat in for lunch or dinner. It's a little bit like a diner and is great for families, anyone fussy or if you want to grab something on the go.

For those of you who don't want to look at beautiful buildings, don't choose the pool/ beach view. I'm a city girl and I loved the view. I took pictures. I think the pool below my room was for children only but there are other pools.

Our room was cleaned everyday and we had fresh clean sheets daily too. We had free complimentary bottles of water and these were topped up everyday even if we didn't finish the ones already in our room.

The mini bar was locked but you get a small fridge next to the mini bar which was quite handy for storing the water and small drinks you may wish to purchase.

My mum and I went on the dolphin experience and for us, this was the highlight of our holiday.

Atlantis guests get a discount.

There's so much to see and do in the hotel. Some parts aren't accessible to non-guests. You just let staff know you're a guest and possibly show them your room key (swipe card) which has your name printed on it and you'll be allowed where ever you want.

I only left the hotel once during my 4 night stay and this was to visit Dubai Mall. I thought Selfridges in London and Harrods were huge. I spent over 7hrs at Dubai Mall and still didn't cover everything. It wasn't a shopping holiday so I just bought one designer item but if you want to get out of the hotel for a day, then the mall is worth a visit.

From Debenhams and Bloomingdales to waitrose and M&S, there's something for everyone. There's a kids zone, prayer rooms, cinema, ice rink and much more.

If I thought shopping was over whelming, it was nothing compared to the amount of different food there is on offer. They even have fish & chips.

Inside the mall there are red taxis like the golf course buggy's I mentioned earlier and you can be taken around if you don't want to be worn out walking.

Once again, the mall staff are friendly, polite, helpful and happy to go above and beyond for you.

A free bus from the hotel takes you to Dubai mall from 10am and leaves every hr. there are other free buses from the hotel that you can take to other parts of Dubai.

I went to the old souk and did some haggling for fridge magnets, scarfs and other "nick-nacks" that I bought for friends and family.

In terms of money, my mum and I took £1,000 with us. I changed up £304 and pence which gave me 1,600 in Dubai currency and I put £700 on a Thomas cook cash passport card. The cash was used to pay for food and drink in the hotel, wi-fi and for 2 taxis. we also tipped staff using the cash. To tip your house keeper (if you wish), you write their name and your room number on an envelope which we found in a draw in our room, and hand the envelope containing the cash to reception who will make sure the staff get the money. I used the card to pay for everything else.

I downloaded the travelex app on my iphone and used it to convert prices so I could check the difference and see how much things cost.

The hotel has wi-fi but it isn't free. It's 99 Dirams per 24hrs and is for just checking emails, sending emails and going on fb etc or you can pay 150 Dirams per 24hrs and it's for watching music videos, skype etc. I was told the wi-fi is for up to 3 people in the same party to use so at least the cost can be split.

Internet in Dubai if you're on tmobile and have an iphone was very expensive.

3MB was £20
10MB was £40
20MB was £75

If you're not planning on venturing outside then you could pay for the hotel wi-fi as this is unlimited rather than being given a limit of what you can use.

For dining at Saffron and Kelidaskope, the dress code is casual. I doubt jeans and trainers will be allowed. Even small children were dressed very smart and fancy. I didn't see anyone wearing jeans, trainers or caps etc but for breakfast things were much more relaxed.

Dubai use the same plug sockets as us in the UK so there's no need to take adapters with you.

I went to the beach once. There's a sheesha area plus areas you can reserve in advance where you have proper beds with a sheet covering you from the sun plus tables, chairs and hammocks.

The sun beds have a sliding roof so even if you're not under an umbrella, you're still protected from the sun if that's what you want.

Someone in a little van comes round selling ice creams, cold drinks and takes food orders for you, plus staff are always tidying up and clearing away anything left on the beach so it's constantly kept neat and tidy at all times.

I hope everyone who visits Dubai and has the pleasure of staying at the Atlantis has an excellent time and enjoys their stay just as much as my mum and I did.

• Stayed March 2013
8 Thank hYpNoTiC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,653)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed at Atlantis for 3 nights from 27 Feb. with our 4 year old.

The hotel is amazing, but this hotel charges for things which really should be included given the price of staying here. We stayed at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel for the 4 days before so were comparing to that as our benchmark. Not having access to free WIFI is ridiculous when you are spending this amount of money - it should be the same as having a phone in the room! Also kids club (which was very good) is very expensive with only one complimentary session per stay (we had one session per day at JBH). I didn't like that parents weren't allowed in the KC to settle children either. Having said that my daughter had a great time when she went and she generally doesn't like being left at KCs. The staff were very good.

The food everywhere we ate was excellent (the buffets were out of this world!), but just not enough capacity at breakfast. The place was packed, you had to wait for a table, then it was so busy people were bumping into each other. Also things like waffles and pancakes seemed always been running out with queues of people waiting for them. And the coffee was awful!! Don't even bother - get one next door by the Aquarium where it is much better. Bacon available though at breakfast which was a pleasant surprise! We went half board and ate like kings every night. Wine as you would expect is expensive and other than that we drank water (which is complimentary in your room but about £5 if you have it with your meal!)

Staff seemed quite variable, but special thanks to the guy who let us look over the palm from the 18 floor when he was making up the room opposite us after someone had left. That was very special.

One down side to Atlantis was that there wasn't very far you could wander, particularly at night. We quite like having a stroll down the beach when our daughter fell asleep in the buggy, but you are constrained by Aquadventure one end which you cannot access at night, and the very noisy bars of the hotel at the other. Other great advantage of JBH was being able to walk between the different hotels at the resort although I guess if you visit in summer this would be irrelevant!

We had an ocean view room, with twin beds and a small balcony. It would have been nice to have a trundle bed for our daughter so we could have moved her into a corner of the room, but they only provide cots. The room wasn't huge, our JBH was larger for less money with a better view. Tea and coffee facilities in the room, which was great, and a part of the fridge to put your own stuff in which is a great idea. Bath didn't have a shower hose on it which was a bit annoying when you wanted to wash your hair, but there were sliding doors to the room so you could sit in the bath and watch TV or have a conversation.

The waterpark was fun (although slightly preferred Wild Wadi as there are more rollercoaster up hill type rides) and the aquarium is truly amazing and slightly surreal everytime you see it.

Overall, an excellent hotel, but I would probably not return just because it was so busy and the little extras you get thrown in at other places like WIFI make it less good value for money. Very child friendly (although we did see one child fall in the fountain in the atrium!) and the balcony made me a bit nervous, if you have a climbing child make sure you keep the door locked at the top as it would be really easy for them to push a chair to the railings and climb up.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is literally the view of the ocean - if you can afford it get a Palm View. Also if y...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank RVRLondon
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We live in Dubai but went for a birthday weekend there and it's just gorgeous! Everything from the check-in to the beautiful birthday card and chocolate in the room was thoughtful and on point. The room we were in was huge and had a balcony with lounges which was a beautiful touch with view of the swimming pool and the beach. The bathroom, the closets, my friends and I loved everything! After spending the day in Aquaventure, we went swimming in the pool at sunset with the killer view of the Dubai Marina Skyline. Def worth the money, it's a beautiful resort. Don't expect walking to anywhere else because it's on the Palm Island so you'll need a cab to get anywhere else in the city.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Ok. Did not stay at the hotel but did a trip to this location. Thank you to previous Trip advisor reviews. We took the advice and got to this place in record time. To confirm. Take a metro to Dubai Marina. AED 2.40 . Then taxi to monorail AED 10 - 15 depending on traffic. Then buy a single ticket for AED 15. Fairly short ride, but worth every second. This is the only way, you can get to see the palm like effect. Travelling by taxi shows you driving along a flat road. No good scenes to behold. Getting back take a taxi to your destination.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Satisfied76
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 8 March 2013 via mobile

We were here beginning of March 2013. we are a Family of 4, with two children aged 3 and 6

Take a Taxi with Taximezer from the Airport. Takes about 30 Minutes.

Checkin at 8h00 in the morning was no problem at all. Checkin takes a while, there is a lot to explain about the facilities.
Checkout the next day late at 14h00 no problem either.

Although only there for one night thus, it felt mike a holiday in a holiday.

We got a perfect room. We could see Dubai, parts of the Palm and the sunset. All on floor 14 Number 329

Room is easily big enoigh for 4.
it has a shower and a bathtub extra.
Service very friendly, very international and evertving you would expect from a five star.

I renovated my house lately which is why I could not help noticing some missing seams between the tiles. Not what you expect at EUR 400 per night. But as I said, my eyes are momentarily trimmed to look at these Details. They did not disturb and as you can read in other comments of mine, we also travel low budget.

We went here because we wanted to go to the Aquapark and see the Lost chambers. As a guest this is complementary. If you look at the entrance prices of these facilities it is worth booking a room and get this for free.

Beautiful swimmingpools. Good service here too. You will always have helping hands, wherever you go.

Beach is okay. All there what you wish for. Hobbycat, Speedboat, Kanues, Rowingboats.

Enough Golfcarts which drive you everywhere. No waitingtime

Very interessting construction of the building. I found it familiar somewhat and found out: done by Sol Kerzner. He did it again, because I am already in love with the Lost City in South Africa. If you have been there its a bit like a deja vue.

All in all: a lovely stay. Go, we would go here again if it would not be so expensive. Try to get some special offer. It is worth going.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Familie_unterwegs
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Was a very good experience, the resort is amazing with all that is available including waterparks etc. The children went there nearly everyday and had a brilliant time. The rides in the waterpark are Fantastic! The food and drinks etc were very pricey there though.

We had the H/B package and to be really honest the only downfall we had was the food was not varied enough. After a few days we got very bored with all the restaurants and started eating out because it was better for us. That is my only qualm.

The staff were brilliant and the cleanliness and luxury of the resort is amazing. The room could be better considering its a 5* but they were clean and of a very good standard.

Thanks

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ymahmood
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I love the Atlantis hotel for the service, cleanliness and location are wonderful. The choice at the various restaurants for breakfast are brilliant they have to be seen to be believed there is nothing missing. In our group we had carnivores, vegetarians, pescetarians and the just plain fussy and all were spoilt for choice. Saffron and Kaleidoscope also have a pork station placed just away from the main buffet so if you don't like the turkey sausages and bacon hunt them out. Nasimi beach bar has a cool vibe playing beach house music or you can have peace and quiet at the other end of the beach before the fun and madness of the water park. Food and drink can be at 5* prices as this is a 5* hotel on the palm jumeirah with 5* service so really that should be expected in my opinion. Kids love this hotel so if you have an aversion to the ankle biters be aware but i do and still love it here and shall return. Thank you.

Room Tip: Terrace suites are fantastic but the regal suites are amazing.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family