“Lovely hotel....just not quite for us”
Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #106 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
Leeds
“Lovely hotel....just not quite for us”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Firstly let me say that not everyone will agree with this review because I am sure that the majority of guests will find the hotel absolutely fantastic.

My wife & I have just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Atlantis, which we chose primarily because we got a terrific deal on a Palm View Deluxe room with free half board.

We almost always fly to Dubai on Emirates as the flights are invariably on time, comfortable & convenient, for us, from Manchester.

On arrival at Dubai I would seriously consider a visit to the Duty Free (nr the baggage carousels) to stock up on spirits if you enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail as the drinks at the Atlantis are VERY expensive, although if you are a Skywards member (Emirates airline loyalty card) you can register the card at the hotel and receive a 15% discount on all drinks & snacks etc. plus free Wi-Fi which normally costs a ridiculous £20 per day.
To give you an example of how expensive the Atlantis is, we ordered a carafe of house red wine at dinner which gave us one & a half glasses each and cost AED 150 ( £25). Far cheaper to buy a bottle of spirits & mixers at the airport & enjoy a couple of drinks on the room balcony.

A metered taxi - which you will find outside the arrivals hall - to the Atlantis will cost around AED90 ( £15) , but will be around AED70 (£12) on the return journey as there is a standing initial meter charge on all taxis departing from the airport.

We had heard some horror stories about long queues at the hotel check-in but we arrive around 10pm local time & it was quiet. However, we did have a delay at check-in (not the hotel's fault) as the travel agents had booked us in "room only" instead of "half board".

The hotel resolved this problem by quickly reserving us a table at dinner & then emailed the travel agent the following morning to sort things out.

The hotel is beautiful, the public rooms - particularly the lobby - is stunning and everywhere is spotlessly clean.

We were allocated a room on the 21st floor overlooking the Palm island and the Dubai Marina towers in the distance.

The room was quit large with a King bed, marble bathroom, separate toilet & shower and plenty of wardrobe space. There are also tea/coffee making facilities which are replenished daily. Beware of the fridge - if you touch anything in the minibar it will raise a charge on your room bill. However, there is a separate section of the fridge where you can store your own things.

The room itself was nice, with a decent sized balcony, but was a little dated and drab in comparison with the public rooms. We have stayed at the Grosvenor House , The Address Downtown & Al Qasr hotels in Dubai, all of which have rooms which are far more luxurious.

The big attraction at the Atlantis is the nautical theme, with huge aquarium walls throughout the hotel which are home to 65000 different species of fish. Adjoining the hotel is their own Water Park, with lazy river, water rapids, slides & kids water features.

However, the water park & hotel is also open to non-guests which means that the hotel is often very busy, particularly at weekends (Thurs & Fri in UAE). I cannot recommend this hotel if you want a relaxing holiday as there are lots of visitors milling around in the hotel, although they are not allowed in the hotel grounds and certain areas of the hotel itself. In addition the hotel is a popular venue for young families and the pool areas can be busy.

The hotel has a large number of restaurants - some of which are available to those guests on half board , which operates on a voucher system allocated on arrival.

We ate mainly in the Italian (Ronda Locatelli) & French (Le Brasserie) restaurants which have a set menu - choice of approx. 6 starters, mains & desserts - for half board guests. The food & service in these 2 restaurants was excellent.

We did also try the buffet restaurant (Kaleidoscope) one evening, but we were unimpressed by the quality of the food and the buffet resembled a bun fight with guests jostling for service.

There are 2 "fine quality" restaurants - Nobu & Ossiano - which are not included in the half board deal and we heard of guests paying in excess of £100 per head for a meal with wine.

We were staying at the hotel during Ramadan which meant that 2 or 3 of the poolside restaurants - which are normally available to half board guests for lunch - were temporarily closed. We did take lunch at the hotel a couple of time at the Fast Food restaurants (The Burger Joint & Asia Republic) which were ok.

The staff throughout the Atlantis are very friendly and eager to please. They are obviously well trained, efficient and naturally helpful.

It may seem a bit churlish to rate the hotel as average as the hotel is a lovely resort in its own right, but we found it far too busy for our own preference and it is also too remote from the rest of Dubai ( a taxi ride to reach any other attraction).

I am certain that families will find the Atlantis a fabulous hotel - and in some respects I would agree - but sadly it is just not right for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a Palm View Deluxe room on a high floor for great views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank greenvigoLeeds
Serge_Zaalof, President and Managing Director at Atlantis, The Palm, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to read that on the overall, you had a lovely stay with us and I sincerely thank you for all your positive comments.

Nevertheless, I have taken good note of the points where you would like to see an improvement. Please be assured that I will discuss with my team for viable solutions as we are committed to continually enhance the experience of our guests.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcome you back at Atlantis, The Palm.

President and Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,739)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here because I was attending a conference at the hotel. As a conference venue the facilities are excellent - rooms and food are good and the organisation is very efficient. I found that photocopying in the business centre is exorbitant (nearly £1 per page) so try to avoid using that if at all possible!
My hotel room was comfortable and spacious and good to work in. Wi-Fi is of reasonable speed and free if you have an Emirates club membership - remember to ask about this at reception when you book in.
I found reception and other staff friendly and reasonably efficient, given how busy they are, although others travelling with me had some big problems with their bookings. Food etc is very expensive if you're spending someone else's money on a business budget rather than pushing the boat out on holiday so it was Starbucks and burgers for me or a taxi ride to the mall.

Overall, it's a massive resort hotel with crowds of families with children everywhere you go. It reminded me of the Disney resorts and my children would have loved it when they were younger although as a family, you would need to see the beach/pool/waterpark thing as the most important part of your holiday to make it the right place for you. And also not have to think too much about how much you were spending!

Because it's out on the Palm there is a bit of a trek to other parts of Dubai and it is also very expensive unless you actually need or want to be there. For the future I would stay there on the night before a conference for convenience (or just for the experience if you haven't been before) but I would move to another quieter, cheaper but equally comfortable and more accessible hotel somewhere like Downtown Dubai or Dubai creek for other business purposes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I glad to read that you found our conference facilities to be excellent and the staff who served you to be friendly and efficient.

Atlantis, The Palm is indeed quite popular with families. Nevertheless, I can assure you that we also have a lot of facilities dedicated for adults to enjoy. These include treatments at our ShuiQi Spa, exclusive pods and private lagoon experiences which can be availed at Dolphin Bay upon request, restaurants and bars such as Ossiano, Nobu, Nasimi Beach and N'Dulge which are strictly an adult affair - to name only a few.

Moreover, regarding our pricing, I wish to assure you that we are on par with other 5 star properties in Dubai.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back at Atlantis, The Palm.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here the end of May for 1 week & what can i say it was outstanding .
check in was a little slow it took over an hour but everything else made up for it.
we got shown to our rooms and then went to eat as it was 11 o clock we just wanted something quick as it had been a long day we went down to the leventine resturant and ordered the sharing platter OMG it was amazing and enough to feed double .
We eat out at a diffrent resturant every night and couldnt fault any of the food at all im a big fan of fish so loved the lobster & crab from the buffet.
Our room was 8446 and it was a decent size with 2 queen beds . this didnt have a balcony which was a shame but im sure if i had of asked they would of moved us as nothing was too much trouble for them . the view of the palm was amazing .
Waterpark was very busy & too hot during the day but at about 3 it cooled down so it was more comfortable the slides are amazing and i dont think we have laughted as much as a family for quite some time.
the beach was brilliant & kevin one of the guys was one of the most helpful person i have ever met so thank you for taken the time out to speak to us xx
overall we had an amazing time & can wait to return in the near future.

Room Tip: rooms 8446 has an amazing view of the palm.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jacqui1951
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you had an outstanding stay at Atlantis, The Palm. Please be assured that I will not miss to congratulate Kevin of the Pool and Beach team for his engaging service.

I look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We selected Atlantis after hearing so much about it in the media and from friends. I had also stayed at the Bahamas resort so had an idea what to expect when we arrived, but while overall the stay was good, there were a few very minor metaphorical flies in the soup.

Food.

We stayed half board which is definitely NOT the way to do it. The only restaurants where you get the full menu are the two buffet restaurants, which had an impressive selection of food, and the quality of most of it was pretty good. The other restaurants however have a supplement required to bet the full menu, and in some the supplement is mandatory. One of which is Sea Fire, which while I'll admit the food was the best meal we had while there, the additional charge for 4 bottles of beer and the supplement for two people on top of the half board vouchers worked out to £110.00, which if you take that the vouchers would be worth approx £30 each, there is no way in hell that the meal was worth £170.00. So, the food was pretty good overall, but very, very expensive.

Staff.

The staff really made the trip for us. I have never been as well looked after anywhere before, and people were literally falling over themselves to help us. Maybe it's because we usually tipped, but I did genuinely feel that the staff were just generally nice people and that is what mattered.

Hotel interior.

The hotel itself is grand, with lots of marble and several "wow" factors. The lobby decor and the main aquarium being the biggest draws. The main aquarium and the pay to enter (included for hotel guests) aquarium put the London aquarium to shame. There are around twenty shops to look round too, mainly high end jewellery and fashion aside from the two gift shops where everything is branded Atlantis.

Hotel exterior and pools.

The pools are excellently looked after and there are always an abundance of life guards around which is nice to see. The pool beds were comfortable, although a little grubby under the towels, but again the staff could not have been better. Free ice pops and cold towels were given out regularly, and even seemed disappointed with themselves if you got up to get a drink without them coming to the beds to ask you beforehand. The rest of the grounds were clean and surprisingly green. The beach however left a lot to be desired. Whilst it isn't necessarily the hotels fault, having the monorail run right through the centre of the water where the beach is, along with a view of motorway just behind it wasn't very picturesque. I'm surprised they didn't put the beach on the other side of the hotel where there is open water.

Hotel rooms.

The rooms generally are good, although ours (11408) was beginning to need a little bit of work. The plug in the bath was a little rusty, the bath as a little bit grubby, the cot we had delivered for our 18 month old daughter had dried baby formula spilt on it (the sheets were clean though), and several areas of the sealant in the bathroom needed replacing. Our room could have done being slightly bigger just so the cot didn't end up being in the middle of the room, as there was nowhere else to put it. We had trouble with the wifi in our room also which rarely worked even though our devices said we had good signal, however everywhere else in the hotel it was flawless. Otherwise the rooms were good.

Overall.

Overall, Atlantis is a great hotel, brought down by some minor maintenance and design faults, and an exploitive half board system. If you have children of all ages it is a great resort (the watermark looked great for all but the smallest children) and they'll have a great time. For a couple though, I would have a hard time recommending it over some other resorts which offer better value for money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gridd
Dear Guest,

I am happy to learn that on the overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. I wish to assure you that our pricing is on par with other 5 star properties in Dubai. Nevertheless, please be assured that I will discuss all your comments with my team to see how we can further enhance the experience of our customers.

On a more positive note, I will not miss to congratulate the concerned colleagues who provided you with an exemplary service.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Atlantis, The Palm.

Dunblane
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a monster of a hotel and yet the staff manage to make you feel special and important guests. We stayed there as a family of 4 and had an amazing 4 days. We arrived 4 hours earlier than our check-in but were quickly shown to our room so we could enjoy the 'facilities'.

The 'facilities' are world class! Amazing aquarium, wonderful waterpark, great pools, beautiful shops - wow!

Aquarium staff really enthusiastic and happy to tell you about all the fish species in the tanks.

Food in restaurants superb and a special mention must go to the manager of 'Saffron' who insisted one of his head chefs show my son round this huge restaurant personally to ensure he didn't select a dish which contained nuts (he's allergic). Much appreciated.

HIghly recommend Atlantis for a special family break.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicolagsmith
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

I was very happy to read your review as we do try out utmost best to provide a personalised service. I will certainly share all your positive comments with my team and I am sure they will be delighted to learn that you had such a great time with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Atlantis, The Palm in a not too distant future.

Cyprus
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed with my wife in February 2013. Great service, great food, Waterpark and the Aquarium are icing on a cake. Very polite staff, great cocktails on the beach. Swimming with dolphins and diving with sharks was great fun. Well done management.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Atlantis, The Palm on TripAdvisor.

It gives me great pleasure to read all your positive comments and please be assured that I will share them with my colleagues to motivate them to continue exceeding the expectations of our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Atlantis, The Palm.

birmingham
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had the most incredible holiday in March this year and have just booked again , the customer caring from the CEO his PA down the line is first class, everyone in their hard working lifetime should stop here, the food the rooms the ambiance is the best I have ever experienced in my life no negatives just massive positives

Room Tip: West wing is quietest, and has the amazing Saffron breakfast
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank BirminghamLiz
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Atlantis, The Palm on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay with us. Please be assured that I will share all your positive comments to my team to thank them for their efforts in ensuring that you had an amazing time.

Thank you once again for choosing Atlantis, The Palm as your preferred holiday destination and I look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.