“Great Hotel”

Ranked #136 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Over the past four or five years I have stayed at this hotel dozens and dozens of times and I would have to rate it as one of the best Holiday Inns around the world. I spend more than half the year in hotels all over the world and this is one of my favorites. The staff is always helpful and friendly. Check-in and check-out is fast and they are able to arrange transportation on very short notice. The breakfast buffet has a wide variety of choices to suit anyone's taste and the chef makes great omelettes. The gym is first rate and so is the trainer, Manmohan. He is extremely knowledgeable with regard to fitness and is eager to work with guests to get the most out of their workout. I really appreciate his assistance and patience during my workout.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kevin U
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Mr. Kevin,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for reviewing us, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your generous praise to our staff and services is very gratefully received.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back as one of our loyal guests.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here mainly due to its close proximity to my meetings, and it's closeness to the Metro. Didn't disappoint. The hotel is good location. you can walk to the Mall of the Emirates, and the Metro stop is walking distance away. The breakfast is good too, and there are other options in the hotel for food and drinks.

I was in a Executive Room, and on the first night it felt like the room hadn't been in use for some time and was a bit damp. Maybe it's the Dubai weather that without the air-condition stopped for a few days, rooms go damp. The rooms was refreshed the second day onwards, so was no point in changing rooms.

The housekeeping was helpful, and on request left me a bunch of drinking water bottles. May be the hotel could increase the number of bottles in the room, as the weather demands for it.

Overall, good location and good hotel. Will definitely stay again if I need to be in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Mr. Gaurab,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for reviewing us, we appreciate your good comments.

We will certainly look into the areas which require improvements.

Our staff, take great pride in ensuring all guest needs are handled with care.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel holds up to its brand and rooms are comfortable,clean and property is well maintained.
We dined a couple of times and found the food and staff to be courteous and friendly .The reception staff is smiling and always ready to help.The chef makes good gourmet food and Indian food is tasteful and fresh.

Room Tip: All room are nice
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for the time taken to review us, we appreciate your kind comments.

Our staff take great pride in ensuring all guest needs are handled with care.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel a few times found the service and staff very helpful.I was given a upgrade without asking. The hotel was very busy with holiday makers and the restaurant was very busy at breakfast and they allowed me to have breakfast in the room at no extra charge.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Mr. Steve,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Than you for the wonderful review. It is pleasing to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and are happy with our service. Our staff, take great pride in ensuring all guest needs are handled with care.

Since you have enjoyed our breakfast, it is our pleasure to invite you upon your return to sample our award winning restaurants The Royal Budha (Thai) , Gharana (Indian) or have a drink at Xennya Terrace which overlooks the coastline of Dubai. We promise you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We arrived after an overnight flight and they gave us a room before the check in time. Helpful staff. Good breakfast. Very convenient for the airport and a short taxi ride to Dubai Mall and other places of interest. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Ms. Liz,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for taking the time to review us, it is pleasing to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and are happy with our service.

Since you have enjoyed our breakfast buffet, it our my pleasure to invite you upon your return to sample our award winning restaurants The Royal Budha (Thai) , Gharana (Indian) or have a drink at Xennya Terrace which overlooks the coastline of Dubai. We know that you will enjoy them all.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

As a Priority Club member , got upgraded to the executive room and the official at the reception counter also realised i had a long journey and gave me a room at 9.am rather than asking me to wait till 2.pm Courteous staff and good breakfast

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mr. Solomon,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for reviewing us, we appreciate your kind words. Our staff take great pride in ensuring all guest needs are handled with care.

Since you have enjoyed our breakfast buffet, it is our pleasure to invite you upon your return to sample our award winning restaurants The Royal Budha (Thai) , Gharana (Indian) or have a drink at Xennya Terrace which overlooks the coastline of Dubai. We promise you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We added a four night stopover in Dubai on our way home to Australia from Europe and decided to stay at the Holiday Inn because of value for money and the fact that we have an Ambassador Status Membership with the IC Chain.

As we were travelling with our two children, we decided that we would book a two bedroom suite so that we had some extra room. We booked 7 months in advance at took the Advance Purchase with Breakfast fate of AED1040 per night (about AUD$330) plus taxes. Pretty good value for two rooms plus living area. I had originally booked three nights, and paid in full upfront, but then added another night a couple of months later. I knew that we'd have to pay this upon check out.

I was impressed with the communication I received prior to coming and we were also advised of a change in tourist tax, which meant that we would pay an extra AED30 per night for the two bedrooms. Love to be pre-warned about this sort of stuff.

It was late when we checked in, about 1am, however our welcome was very warm and Tarak checked us in with no problems. In talking, we found out that there were a lot of conferences on in Dubai and that the hotel was full. Tarak also went out of his way to see whether everything was OK during our stay, which was a nice touch.

Our room was No 151. I think the family suites are usually pretty much at the end of the hotel, so a bit of a walk from the elevators, but I was expecting that. It was on the first floor, so I wasn't expecting much of a view. We had booked non smoking, which was very important and from reading previous reviews, I have gathered that the third, fourth and fifth floors are all smoking, so I'd rather be on level 1 or 2, than be on a smoking floor.

We settled in and finally got to bed at about 2am. It was pretty hot, so having the air-conditioning on was a MUST! It was a little noisy, but we'd get used to it. About 10 minutes after going to bed, the air conditioning ramped up somewhat and became a lot noisier. It was a bit annoying, because I couldn't seem to turn the fan down any further than what I had it without turning it off. In the morning we threw opened the curtains to find.... the world's biggest air conditioning unit right outside our suite. No wonder the air conditioning was noisier than I had expected! I couldn't see exactly how long the unit was, but from what I could see (the windows didn't open), it was at least the length of three rooms. It was HUGE! Given that the hotel was full and that we had to have interconnecting rooms on a non smoking floor, I thought there was little point in trying to get moved to a different room, and in any case we had already unpacked and it wasn't worth the effort.

The rooms themselves, facilities and comfort were all pretty good, the only niggle was the size of the bathroom in comparison to the other rooms - it was pretty small, with the toilet pretty much in the middle of the room, this made it difficult to move and dry yourself.

The reason I gave a four star and not a five star rating was because of the air conditioning and the small bathroom.

Throughout our stay, the staff were lovely. The only morning that we made it down to breakfast, it was what you'd expect of a four star hotel. Not overly fancy, but had most things that you could want, including a fresh egg station. Staff were courteous.

The day before checking out, we booked a transfer to the airport for 7am for the next morning. We specified that we would need either a large car or van, because there were four of us and we had a substantial amount of luggage. We also made sure that we could book it to the hotel room, as we had very little AED left and were on our way home.

Our biggest issue was when we checked out.

I approached the lobby desk and advised that I was checking out for room 151. Mohamed was the person who was at the desk at the time. He did not smile or greet me in any way, which I thought was strange, given the kind and courteous interactions with other staff I had. I cheekily asked if we could use our Priority Club points for the fourth night, but I got a pretty terse 'No'. He printed out the room details and advised me the amount owing. I asked if I could check the bill. He did not hand me the bill, but instead asked for my credit card. Again I asked if I could see the bill, but he seemed to want my credit card before giving me the hotel bill breakdown. WhenI got the breakdown of cost, I noticed that the airport transfer was not on the bill and said that it had been missed. Mohamed then checked with concierge about the booking for transfer. There was a bit of to-ing and fro-iong and it seems that we had too much luggage for a standard size car. We would either have to take two cars or wait for a bigger car (which was currently on the airport run) to arrive. We weren't very happy. We pointed out that we had specifically booked a large car/van because of the luggage we had (four suitcases, four wheely bags). They said that there was no such booking. This was a lie, because we saw the concierge write down our booking. Mohamed was very nonchalant about this whole issue. We had plenty of time... he said. What he didn't know is that we hadn't had breakfast, needed to do some shopping and there was a 30 minute walk from check-in at the airport to the gate area. We didn't have time at all to wait, which is why we pre-booked. He did not want to hear why we needed to go ASAP and again repeated that we had plenty of time. Or perhaps we could take a taxi and pay for it ourselves? No, we don't have any more AED, which is why we pre-booked a transfer in the first place. During this, the concierge and porters were very apologetic and updated us on the no of minutes until the transfer arrived. We waited an extra 15 minutes longer than we should have, which wasn't too bad, but the experience left a sour note. At no stage did Mohamed apologise to us that this had happened.

While this was happening, I was also checking our hotel bill and I noticed that the amount that we prepaid did not cover what had been charged, after adjusting for the AED30 tax per night for the first three nights. I advised Mohamed of this and his only reply is that this is the amount you owe. I again reiterated that the first three nights had been completely prepaid (other than AED30) and we should not have any extra to pay for these nights. At this stage, all we wanted to do was get out to the airport and it seemed pointless to argue with someone who had no empathy at all. We had been charged 1140 AED per night, instead of the rate that we had been quoted and prepaid, which was 1040 per night. 100AED is not a huge deal, but over four nights, it adds up to AED400, which was worth querying. Mohamed was NOT interested in discussing the rate and just insisted that we owed what we owed on the hotel bill. We could not be bothered arguing any more, we were just wasting time, so we paid and moved on.

I need to reiterate that because the check out experience was an issue with one individual, I DID NOT take this into account when giving the rating of four stars, otherwise I may have knocked it down to three stars, but thought that this was not fair on a suitable rating for the hotel overall.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle323

Dear Ms. MIchelle,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for the time taken to review us, we appreciate your kind comments.

We were dissapointed to hear about your less than satisfactory check out. Your feedback is valuable as it allows us to better the customer experience and will indeed be sharing your words with our Front Office team.

We look after concerns of our guests as a priority in our Customer Care Drive, and take action promptly in areas that require improvement. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to continually monitor and improve our operations.

We are looking forward to welcoming back.