“Soviet style building. Soviet style service.”

The Apartments Dubai World Trade Centre
Ranked #279 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
London
“Soviet style building. Soviet style service.”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I think the Apartments at WTC attracts two types of visitor – both of which are on a tight budget. It seems to attract a mixture of long term residents (including families) and short term stayers who are there for a trade show next door. If you accept the fact that this is a budget property, you won’t be too disappointed. If you were hoping for something more “Dubai” – glitzy and glamorous – forget it.

Location is incredible. It is immediately next to the WTC train station and attached to the big exhibition centre. You really can’t beat it if you’re in town for a trade show. The proximity of the train is also pretty good and rather unique in Dubai. However, the three dark concrete towers which make up the property look very dated from the outside, with tiny windows and a rather ugly architectural style. They were obviously built in a different era and the stark contrast between this hotel and the glass-fronted towers around it is quite stark.

The taxi driver had no idea where to take me so I ended up being dropped off at Tower C. Wrong. Tower A is where hotel guests check in and it’s quite a walk from one to the other. However, the first thing I noticed was that the inside of the buildings isn’t that bad – it’s obviously had an internal makeover recently. A nice surprise.

I arrived at 4am due to a delayed flight and the receptionist told me “you’re not booked in until tomorrow. Check in is at 2pm. Your room is occupied.” I panicked a little but then checked my Expedia email which confirmed I was in fact on time. The chap looked confused, tutted a lot, looked at his screen and then a few printed out room confirmations etc. “I don’t know what’s happened.” Was all he said. After a little steaming from me and a few random calls he suddenly gave me a room card with no explanation or apology. Very strange. An awful first impression.

I arrive in my room to find nothing in the mini bar and not even a bottle of water for me. It may be a budget hotel but come on, in Dubai they should at least have provided one bottle of water. There were no options to buy any either so I was stuck with tap water! The room itself was large and spacious. The bed was comfortable – very much so actually. There was a room service menu, available from early morning until 11:30pm. There were also tea & coffee facilities. Wifi was free and there was an iron in the room – two things I insist on wherever I stay so I was made a little less put off by the place. I went to sleep easily and woke up wanting to give the place another chance.

The hotel was a different place in the morning. The reception area was buzzing and the staff there seemed a little more friendly, but not much. I headed out to the gym (in block C) and was very surprised by what I found. There’s a large pool area with a bar/restaurant which had loads of people in it (mainly long term residents). The gym was large too – surprisingly so – and well equipped. Alright, so the buildings itself are rather old, as are some of the facilities inside, but this made me very happy. I spent ages in the gym and it wasn’t busy at all.

The second day I wanted to extend my check-out as I had a 2:30am flight. They charged me 450 Dhs for an extended check-out – to 6pm. There was no negotiating this and I was surprised they didn’t say 7 would be alright – they said they weren’t at full capacity. When I ended up checking out the receptionist asked me what I’d been told to pay. I could’ve said anything apparently but was honest. I think the reception staff need a little bit of training if this hotel wants to come up to a better standard. Saying that, staff at the recreation centre and the housekeeping team were very good. I'm not at all surprised to see that the hotel manager doesn't reply to reviews here!

I would stay here again if I had to, but would investigate spending a little more to stay in a newer property. As with everything like this, you get what you pay for so I’ll end by saying it was actually good value for money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank moaksey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I read a lot of not so positive reviews, but still made a reservation due to the location. It is literally 200 yards outside the World Trade Centre. The facade of the facility is nothing to write home about, but the apartments were clean, the bed was comfortable, the wifi worked well and the Metro station is just outside the door. If you are looking for posh, there are lots of options in Dubai and they are expensive. If you want to stay at the beach, Jumeirah has loads of nice options with great views. If you are traveling to the WTC and want a solid option close to the Centre, the Apartments are a great choice.

Room Tip: Block A is closest to the WTC.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JohnCarlos2000
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Mediocre hotel apartments.
When you book rooms here they offer "Deluxe" and "Exclusive" there are NO rooms in this place that deserve those words as i have been in many of the apartments that have this title.. its all normal mediocre apartments most likely worse than what you have at home considering you can afford this place..
I spent 6 months in this place and its not that great considering the high price.
The A-block has been renovated but poorly. there is very bad water pressure so a woman would need hours to get the shampoo out of her hair, the bathroom is also very cold due to lack of heated tiles.
The free internet is bad, its very slow when it works. the tv is a small 32" and the channels are grey as the are delivered analogue..
The living room sofa is a small 2 seater so forget to relax on the sofa if you are bigger than a child.
The worst room is actually the kitchen.. kitchens dont have ventilators. so if you cook, the apartment will smell and have very bad air. no complaints about the bedroom though, slept nice here...
But get a room with streetview to the south, if not you get the noise from the exhebition hall, the poolbar and the cooling units placed on the ground..
hotel cleaning is mediocre.. they clean, but if you look along the walls, that dust they dont clean.
This place has become expensive due to expo 2020, but thats still 6 years away. you find better places for a lower price now.
I only stayed due to my empolyer made me and its free for me.
B and C block have 30 year old interior and carpets on the floor and tv's from the 90's
The elevators in A block are worked on every week..
First month they clean every day, after that 2 times a week.
Insulation is also bad as you hear your neighbors through the cheap door to the hallway...

poolbar with nice pool and sun all day
nice and helpful staff

cold bathrooms
bad internet
bad tv
poor cleaning
lots of noise on the back of A and C block
small fridge in 1 bedroom apartments
no dishwasher
price
noise from the hallway

conclusion, this place is ok for a week cause then you dont stay in the hotel so much, but for a long period i would find something else......

Room Tip: the best rooms are the ones facing sheik sayed road in A-block. But you find much better places for...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed for a night only. The Apartment was clean and smelt fresh. Big room for Dubai. Entrance is a bit disappointing but I think this place is great value at less than AED 500. Plenty of options for eating at WTC and surrounds, so no need for breakfast.

The iron and ironing stand was hard to iron with.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking rooms. Good option for staying with the family when on a work trip to the WTC
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Roaming4free
muscat
Reviewed 29 November 2013

During the Big 5 event, we made an advance booking in this hotel, and when we chocked in and as usual, we gave a credit card and they blocked an amount. Our initial thought, was that the apartment was clean, and conveniently located for the big 5 (just a few meters away). The experience however was different. Firstly, in Blocks A and B there is no restaurant and of course no room service. After arriving from other destinations, I had laundry which I gave them, the following day it was to be delivered, and when nothing arrived, I checked at the reception, and was told that I would not get it unless I pay cash at the reception, when checking at the reception, I was told I was on cash basis!!! Had no idea what that meant when they already had my credit card. After spending the full day the following morning at the exhibition, I came back to the apartment and realized it was not cleaned, and when asked at the reception, I was told that they would clean if I am staying for a short stay!!!!! So I inquired if a 2 days stay would mean a short stay? And if so, why was it not cleaned? To make a long story short, I would nor sacrifice again for my comfort in a hotel just because it's a stone throw away from an event I am visiting, so no, I would not book again in this hotel.

Room Tip: If a must to stay then insist on block C and if driving also insist that they give you a sticker for...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank falhashar
Miami Beach
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have been to 20 countries and have stayed at over 200 hotels in my lifetime. This hotel was by far the worst. I showed up at 10:30 am and they would not check me into the room even though they had rooms available. They wanted to charge me an extra half day. Instead, they made me shower in the club 3 buildings down – which was small and dirty. The room itself was overly air conditioned with only a tiny window. When I turned off the A/C to bring it to a normal temperature, the humidity settled and the place became drenched. Everything, including my clothes, was wet. It was disgusting. I turned in my clothes to be washed when I got in and was in a rush and did not look at the costs for cleaning. My mistake. The clothes came back with a $40 bill for a few socks and some underwear. I complained. They did nothing except send me a rotten fruit basket. I found the staff outright insulting and the accommodations terrible. As a point of reference, I left and went to the Novotel on the other side of the conference center and it was much cheaper, the staff was excellent the rooms were significantly better. Under no circumstances should anyone, ever, stay at this terrible hotel.

Jonathan

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank EvolutionVentures
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Metro Station is just across the road.
The room is spacious and clean, complete with microwave oven and fridge.
Internet connectivity/WIFI is good..
Supermarket is just next door.
However, there is no room service or restaurant/café in Block "A".

Room Tip: I personally prefer rooms facing Sheikh Zayed Road.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family