Grand Midwest Express Hotel Apartments
JA Palm Tree Court(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$193
Atlantis, The Palm(Dubai)
US$387
US$310
  • Pool
Grosvenor House Dubai(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$179
Fairmont The Palm, Dubai(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$241
US$342
US$220
US$327
US$220
Grand Hyatt Dubai(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$229
US$170
US$279
US$226
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here for 12 nights. Its was a great price if you purchase online. The units have a small full use kitchen which is a huge bonus. There is no pool any extras but was very clean and a great staff. 5 minutes to Dubai Marina and a big mall. Great location if you have a car.

Room Tip: Ask to see a couple of rooms because they have several different type for the same price. I did and got the same room with a better kitchen and balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DBGeorge
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The hotel is is Discovery Garden area which is close to IbnBatuta Mall and also close to the Ibn Batuta Metro Station (10 AED for a taxi ride)
The studio apartments are spacious and fully furtnished with complete range of appliances and stsuff that you need. Good big bathrooms.
Impressive.
However, WiFi is an issue, it is pretty expensive 25 dhm an hour in the rooms. Though the wifi in the ground floor lobby is free.
Overall a good place for business/family stay. Should do better if they can give better wifi pricing or make it in the bundle.
Lot of food options around the place for all kind of people. If you are an asian/indian, you can have the full range on very reasonable price.
worth staying.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Brijendra S
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went very recently (Feb 26th - Mar 6th). Before going we had checked out the comments on here which left us rather apprehensive, however after the week was up we really couldn't understand how some had given 1star? The hotel and apartments are simple yes, and do not look exactly like the ones in the photo but they cover all basic comforts such as a lounger and sofa seats, a tv, desk and plenty of storage space. The only difference between the photos and reality was the colourful accessories.

We also found the plsce very clean, and the cleaners were trustworthy! In a rush on the first morning I had left some English money sprawled on the table - when I got back that night I found all of the money was neatly piled by the side - and yes all there!

The only thing we were gutted about was the lack of swimming pool, although the hotel wad equipped with a complimentary gym which had all the basic facilities.

One comment that stood out on here was that the staff were rude and didn't hold the door for them - firstly this is not a 5star resort where those manners are the norm and that seems a poor reason to rate the place so low nut secondly they did in fact on several occasions race in front of us to open doors and answer our questions.

Locaton wise this is near a lot of cheap eateries and markets alongside being close to the IBN mall which was massive! It does experience a lot of traffic at peak times - but ib the brigt side that did mean a loy of taxis went by.

Overall the place was spacious, clean and cheap. For under £600 for 8 nights for 2 you can't expect the Ritz. I would recommend this place to anyone whose budget is small or just wants a place to rest there head.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Annette N
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel apartment from 03 Feb to 28 Feb. A rule in Dubai is that they need full payment up front, so it is unlike most of the rest of the World where they take a payment authorisation and then charge you everything at the end of your stay. It is important to understand that in the context of this review.

I have moved to Dubai as the next stage in my career. This apartment hotel (I will refer to it as a hotel from here on) is based in Discovery Gardens and is over 8 floors with great access to cheap food (especially if you like Sri Lankan or Indian food, there is also a subway and a dominos pizza within walking distance).

LOCATION:
The location of the actual hotel is not too bad. However, Discovery Gardens itself suffers from traffic issues, it took my 45 minutes to get from the main road to the mall on the one evening I decided to drive back. I never did that again. So if you have flexibility in times, then this is a good location to be in, if you want something inexpensive and workable.
There is a Metro link which is about a 40 minute walk from the hotel, I used to do this most of the days, it does get hot in Dubai and that walk is not pleasant in the mornings when the sun is out.
The Mall is located a short walk from the Metro (and is closer to the hotel, approximately 35 minutes walk). The Mall is called IBN Battuta Mall and is not bad with a great food court offering a wide variety of different food options.

HOTEL:
The room itself was clean, not too much noise (I had a courtyard facing room, so that might have made it quieter), the a/c fans located near the balcony of the room were loud, so there is no chance of leaving the patio open to allow a fresh breeze through. The room was equipped OK, an electric oven and hob, fridge/freezer, kitchen utensils all made it a comfortable room. The bed was quite comfortable too and the air conditioning worked really well (although it was not the hot season). The bathroom was OK. I would say this is a clean two star hotel apartment.

ISSUES:
As I mentioned, they take payment up front. I had arrived from the UK with no local bank account or credit card so my employers had asked me to give them a pre-authorisation (they hold the money without ever taking the money out, like a guarantee). They were fine to do this for 4 days. My boss then came in 2 days later to pay this off. So he had paid to a certain point. To cut a long story short, he hadn't paid the full amount and they ended up charging me - I can understand that to a certain degree, but my complaint to them was, surely as your customer, you should call me, send me a note to tell me this is problem BEFORE you charge my card, I am not going anywhere and you have all my contact details. They agreed that they should have done that and I agreed that it was too late for them to back out of the charge. I also asked them to extend my stay, to which they agreed to do that until March 5th.

Feb 27th in the evening, after having been out at a networking event I came back to a note saying "thanks for your stay, you must vacate tomorrow at noon as per your stay" a polite note, if I were to be leaving on Feb 28th and had not extended to March 5th.

So I did what most people would do and called reception to ask them what was going on and had they made an error. The reply was "No sir, as per our record you must leave tomorrow and we are now full so we cannot accommodate you". They went on to say "How can you expect to stay if you did not pay the bill". I wouldn't mind that normally, however, I wasn't asked at any point to pay the bill up front. The discussion continued, in the end I was so sick of their complete incompetence that I booked another hotel and packed my bags for my departure on Feb 28.

This is the part that drives me nuts. I went to check out and they said "You had extended your stay, I need to speak with my manager". He then spoke in Hindi, which I fluently understand. He was saying should I let the customer go, he is checking out. That infered to me that they wanted to charge me for cancellation.

The guys that work here are nice, but nice doesn't get the job done. You can get the job done nicely, that is different. Grand Midwest Express, your incompetence knows no bounds, you are UTTERLY useless and I would never stay at any of your hotels again.

I do hope you learn that you customer is paying your bills and a little courtesy towards them would benefit you massively. Expectations cause all disappointments, manage your customer's and BINGO you win.

My advice, steer clear of this place completely unless budget drives you here. As they say you get what you pay for, however, customer service is customer service and this was no way to treat anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces away from the road, or better still, find a decent place to stay where they won't turf you out after you had stayed with them for the best part of a month. Room 721 was not bad :)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Do not go by the pictures on the website - the rooms look NOTHING like it! They blatantly lie on the website and show pictures of their other hotel.

Water in shower was cold.

Location is awful, nearest metro is about a 10min taxi ride and all the shops outside look very dodgy and i felt very unsafe walking around after 8.00pm!
The reception are the rudest people around and so unhelpful. The bell-boy was nice and helpful.
The 'restaurant' is in the lobby and has about 4 tables and no food!
Overall - do not stay at this hotel, pay the money and stay somewhere more central Dubai.

Also - the webiste states there is a pool - THERE IS NO POOL! And our confirmation included breakfast however the hotel said this wasnt on their system so we couldnt have breakfast.

Do not be deceieved by the pictures on the website - this is clearly an awful hotel.

Room Tip: Only tip i have is dont stay here!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends