“Just Disgusting”

Ranked #36 of 295 Speciality Lodging in Dubai
Phoenix, Arizona
“Just Disgusting”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

My week long stay at this hotel did not start well. They tried to hold my passport. I pointed out that there was no legal requirement for this and that mine was a fully prepaid booking; no danger of running away without paying. So I got it back.

I was given an inside suite a couple of levels above the pool. The pool noise (children) comes up the open void and can be disturbing.

The room was not cleaned on the first full day. No problems, I did have the do not disturb sign up for a couple of hours during the middle of the day, maybe they overlooked coming back. As I was to learn quickly the real reason was I had the sign up again later from 6:30pm. I returned to the room after work next day at 5:30pm to find it had not been cleaned. I called housekeeping and asked for two towels. The lady wanted me to hang up and call '5'. I pointed out I had pressed the Housekeeping button and was talking to her. I insisted she arrange the towels. They took 90 minutes to arrive.

Next day housekeeping did not arrive until 7:30pm. The following day 7:00pm, they did not leave a bathmat. The next day they arrived at 8:10pm, I sent them away after taking two towels. They had been in the room earlier since there were clean folded sheets on the bedroom dresser. These stayed there for the next three days for some reason. The next two days were 6:30pm and 7:15pm.

On no day during the week were the floors cleaned. It was on the fourth evening at the start of showering I noticed my feet created quite a bit of blackish water on the shower floor suggesting the suite floors were not clean. So I decided to test the cleaniness of the suite and document the results. You can see the outcomes in the photos. It was dirty. At least I didn't sight any vermin or signs of their presence. Perhaps even Dubai cockroaches have standards.

On the second day I encountered a dry stained cloth placemat at breakfast. In fact it was more than stained, one area was crusty, the spoon was sitting on it. I regetted later not taking a photo of it but on the last morning I encountered another dirty placemat. Refer photo. Not all of the cloth placemats were dirty, most were clean, spotless even. And the crockery and cutlery were clean. My mood wasn't that improved by the fact I didn't like the breakfast selection on any day.

Finally, safety. Check out the photos of the fire stairs. I missed the day there were two rubbish bags and the plastic container of crockery.

This place is a dump. Avoid it.

If there is anything good to come of my stay is that my inspection efforts probably resulted in the suite being cleaner when I left than how I found it.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BoganInParasite
LotusHotelDubai, General Manager at Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear Mr Ross N Ahe,

Warm Greetings from Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments!
We refer to your stay with us and thank you for choosing us as your preferred residence while in Dubai.
With reference to your feedback about our services, specially housekeeping and restaurant,, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We have seriously taken up the matter with concern departmentand assure you of remedial action.

We once again apologize for the inconvenience caused and look forward to another opportunity of being of service to you.
We are pleased to inform you that besides the existing hi speed broadband internet land line the Hotel is now also fully WIFI enabled.
While looking forward to welcoming you back to Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments during your next trip to Dubai, we assure you of our best attention and personalized services at all times.

Patanjali Sharma | General Manager
P.O.Box: 171746, Dubai, U.A.E
(O) + 971 4 206 8888 | (F) + 971 4 222 4141
(M) +971 56 640 1891
(E) gm@lotusdowntownmetro.com
(W) www.lotusdowntownmetro.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 7 January 2013

The hotel is fitted with the most amazing furniture and decor. Our rooms were a huge suite with 4 bathrooms, 3 rooms, a kitchen and storage room!

But its filthy, and everything is covered is a layer of dust. On our return one night my sister found a used condom in her bed. We told management and other than apologizing and changing the sheets they did nothing. so rather than clean we know what the maids are doing in the unoccupied rooms.

The hotel breakfast was really good, and had a huge variety.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Azima M

Travellers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Following a seven hour flight with the family we checked in at around midnight to find that the hotel:
1. Couldn't supply a room key because none were available,
2. Had to keep our passports overnight because the copier wasn't working, and
3. Although the beds were made it was obvious that the rooms had not been vacuumed or cleaned.
This is a total let-down because the rooms are spacious. But I couldn't accept the above because I was travelling with children.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Joseph M
LotusHotelDubai, General Manager at Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Warm Greetings from Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments!
With reference to your feedback about our services, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We have seriously taken up the matter with concern department and assure you of remedial action.

Patanjali Sharma | General Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The hotel is the suburb of Diedra, which is an older part of Dubai. When you walk into your apartment you are immediately impressed by the size of the rooms - I was in a 1 bedroom apartment and it was the largest hotel apartment I have ever been in. There was a very large lounge, large kitchen, large bedroom, bathroom and separate toilet.

The rooms were clean enough but on closer inspection they are showing their age, but if this doesn't bother you that would be ok. A couple of niggles where that there was no hot water in the bathroom - until someone came up and pressed the unmarked button that turned the water on, also the clock radio wasn't working properly.

The hotel is about 200m from a main metro station so convenient for getting a train, and its about 25 minutes on the train from Dubai Mall / Burj Khalifa

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank waterman17
LotusHotelDubai, General Manager at Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Warm Greetings from Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments!
With reference to your feedback about our facility, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We have seriously taken up the matter with Maintenance department and assure you of remedial action.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

I'm not sure if this is the same hotel the other reviewers stayed at or I am more fussy. I kind of expected a lot of opulence when we arrived, that was not to be had. The staff are very friendly and helpful. However the rooms leave a little to be desired, very large apartments but facilities look very tired. Hot water was a bonus on some nights, while one bathroom had no hot water the other did, one night the taps would work in reverse where hot was cold and vice versa. The bed was hard and the top mattress was smaller than the bottom mattress. the floors must be very thin because I could hear the people on the floor above us carry on till about three in the morning. Although the metro is virtually across the road we still had to take taxi's to certain places. After reading the reviews before we left on our holidays I was expecting a 4.5 star hotel. I've been told this is a 4 star but I would class it more of a 2.5 to 3 star. I have only stayed at one worse hotel than this and that was Michaels Inn in Niagara Falls, look up those reviews and you will know what I'm talking about.

Room Tip: Try getting a Hotel in the New Dubai
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Eleotta
Warm Greetings from Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments!
With reference to your feedback about services, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We have seriously taken up the matter with concern department and assure you of remedial action.

Perth
Reviewed 25 June 2012

These apartments are close to the airport and to the metro station. Across the block is a midsized shopping centre. While the kitchen and bathroom seemed a little unclean the rest of the apartment was fine. The staff were lovely and the breakfast was fantastic. I'd stay again.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Hills5
Warm Greetings from Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments!
With reference to your feedback about kitchen cleanliness, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We have seriously taken up the matter with Housekeeping and assure you of remedial action.

MUMBAI
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Tripadvisor has 5 categories for a trip namely Business, Couples, Family , Friends and Solo... The reason why LDM gets 5 stars is because its suited to all kinds of travellers... Although I would like to mention , that I enjoyed a special airline crew rate and that could have made the difference in the "Value" ratings...
Having said that, the hotel has most things going for it... Large spacious (apartment type ) rooms, fully functional kitchen (yes, its not just a kitchenette) , decent breakfast, superbly cooperative staff... great accessibility by the metro train ( situated right across the metro station) , room delivery from near by restaurants,there`s also a convenient store next door, decent pool and gym, quiet rooms and everything one looks for in a basic hotel stay ( by basic i mean, do not expect any over the top grand decor or a very polished concierge)

couple of things to watch out for
Use the tourist maps at the airport for travel agent contacts , for city tours etc. the hotel travel desk charges a little more
the hotel does not have a bar
coming back late from partying at sheikh zayed or jumeirah... the metro rail is shut and the expensive taxis are the only alternative

Room Tip: You have a choice between pool facing rooms or rooms with a balcony... Honestly neither the pool vie...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank CAPT18
Warm Greetings from Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments!
We refer to your stay at our Hotel and thank you for choosing us as your preferred residence while in Dubai.
We thank you for your comments regarding our services and facilities and shall convey your appreciation to our colleagues. Your feedback will motivate all of us to work harder towards our goal of guest delight.
We are pleased to inform you that besides the existing hi speed broadband internet land line; the Hotel is now also fully WIFI enabled
While looking forward to welcoming you back to Lotus Downtown Metro Hotel Apartments during your next trip to Dubai, we assure you of our best services as always. In the meantime, of course, please do not hesitate to contact me or my colleagues for any further information or assistance you may need.