“Very good location, comfortable room, service could be better”

Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach
Ranked #66 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Overall positive experience:
- Good location at the Walk, a lot of options for restaurants and shops near by, easy access to beach; there is a big construction in front of the hotel, but it would be difficult to find a place in Dubai that is not near a construction...
- Very comfortable room (best hotel bed ever!)
- Top quality breakfast
What could have been better:
- Arrived at the hotel at 4am, after ~ 15 hours flight and check in took almost 1 hour, which was very annoying

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent Dubai visit. I apologise for the delay caused at the time of your check-in. I appreciate the fact that you took time to leave your feedback about hotel's location, beach access, signature beds, and the breakfast. Please send me an email on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae with details of your stay and I will investigate on what went wrong at the time of your check-in.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Having stayed at well over 100 premier hotels across all of Europe, I have to share my impressions of this highly questionable 5 star. Again, it is not a 5 star or upper echelon product in my opinion. The noise from Jumeirah beach new construction goes on all night. The telephones regularly had problems in a deluxe room and would not 9, dial out; always had to use the call operator. God knows how that impacted my final charges for the bill, but the phone component was exorbitant. Worst of all however, the policy of the hotel advance charging your credit card on file, means that up to 120% of the actual costs to the room can be pre-loaded up to 24 hours prior to the final day of check out. This is absurd. I had a strong disagreement with the hotels financial controller about this, when they insisted on barring access to my room for not pre-paying these room charges 3 days out.

Additionally, I had extended my stay on room premium rates twice to have more time working on my personal life.

On the plus side, the hotels purser is extremely professional. The ancillary charges that accumulate given the hotel rating, and amounts levied for drinks etc are extortionate. The breakfast waiter/waitresses insist on shoving an invoice under your nose, to sign, every time you sit to the meal. My recommendation. Stay at the Westin hotel up the road. Don't pay for their Executive Club access though. it's no different really to what you get for normal rack rate facilities and the lobby music is excruciating on the Executive floor.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Me and my husband went to honeymoon in the end of October to the Mauritius and we have to stay in Dubai for few days.
Reservation:
they needed 14 mails to understand that i want reservation on the way to Mauritius and back and Mahraba service. I am GM of the hotel but really it is a pity. I am trying not to loose my time and put everything in one mail including credit card guarantee. And I did called about 4 times to explain. That will make you frustrated from beginning. Name of this person Vanessa de la Cruze. Dear Vanessa I will remember you all my life. 1 telephone call made me calm down when I really needed, thank you Margaret! I would wish you work in my hotel.
Visa question. I have to say, contact Ahmed this is the professional person. Everything clear, all in time, always feedback! Perfect work.
Location:
At front of the hotel huge reconstruction and they starting from 6:30 AM. Do not think that if you close the balcony it will help you! I am not saying that from airport to Marina tooks us about 15 minutes but from Marina on this 1 street took us 2 hours!!!
Ch\inn:
3AM and my flight was aprx6 hours, I am pregnant. All I want is lay down. The receptionist telling me story about hotel (15 minutes) at 3 AM? (have to tell that my husband had to come next day.
Credit Card:
1st they will ask you for credit card, block the money and then they will tell you that they are "not providing this service". Be careful to give the your cc and please read making reservation specially small sentence written with small words.
Room:
Well nothing special, BUT!
In the 6:30 local time (so imagine how many hours pregnant women slept) I heard a loud music just next to my head!! It was connecting rooms.
Thank you security! Not so fast but even after 30 minutes you did your job.
Bath:
Cosmetic: loccitane (i use it at home)
So small. Funny, when you are in the toilet (sorry) and you seat your knee is just touching the door. (don"t think, I was 58kg so I am not Gulliver)
Bed: big and soft, very comfortable.
Housekeeping:
they are good guys, but would be better if you will remind them about balcony with few eur.
When mu husband came it took them aprx 15min to ch/inn. In the hotel is normal ch/inn (includes main info about hotel as brfk etc.) till 5 minutes in you are not asking a questions. Oh, again credit card.
ch/out:
fast
Transfer from Emirates airlines

This is not the end!
We had reservation on the way back )))))
I filled up their internal questionnaire and they sent me email with promise to make may stay MEMORABLE ))) this lady did not knew that I am coming back ))) and I told her that next time it can be in 10 days.
This time we had luxury room or high category of the room and it WAS the difference in the price. You know the different we got? It was no different only in the location of the room. The hotel apologized with 2 small bottle of water (still and sparkling). Well I think that enough to understand. Second time had no different. P.S. one day took money for breakfast and second day they forgot. (I had almost fight with lady in the breakfast couse i refused to sign a bill for breakfast before checking the reservation and she told me that she can not let me go I have to sign it). Oh, I forgot, photo I will put is the way how they served the table outside! It was before I made photo.

Sofitel in Paris is a dream.

Room Tip: Choose GWH hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kathy Z

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach and for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor. I deeply apologise for the unsatisfactory experience you had during your stays. Could you please send me an email on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae with your stay details as I would like to discuss your experience in detail. We value all the feedback we get as customer satisfaction is our utmost priority.

I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

It’s not my first time to Dubai but actually this is the first time to go to Sofitel Jumeirah Beach, the location is excellent as it is on JBR walk and everything is seems to be open until the early hours . The hotel is excellent , everything was amazing, the staff were very pleasant and extremely helpful. Breakfast was very delicious, the pool was a bit smaller but it has a great view over the edge.
The room was lovely and the bed was huge and so comfortable.

Would defiantly go back and stay here and recommend to everyone the location is just perfect!

Room Tip: Choose the highest floor as much as you can to enjoy the lovely view on Atlantis
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach and for taking the time to review your stay. I am happy to learn that you liked the hotel's location, service provided by our Ambassadors, choice at breakfast, view from the pool, signature beds and amenities offered.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next Dubai trip.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

I am a regular traveller to Dubai and have been lucky to stay in many of the hotels across the city over the years. This was however my first time at the Sofitel JBR.

I expected more and came away disappointed. I am a platinum card holder with the Accor group which normally entitles you to many privileges. I had however booked the Sofitel on an incredibly low rate with lastminute.com. I think they were a little surprised on check-in that I was a platinum member yet availing of such a low rate. I certainly didn't feel treated like a "loyal customer." The check-in staff also told me, as my room type was unavailable they had upgraded me. Platinum members are entitled to automatic upgrades - yet she made it sound like I was lucky. There was no "free gift" as entitled. And I most certainly did not feel welcomed which is unusual in a city where service is normally excellent.

My room was definitely standard - I am not sure which part was meant to be upgraded.

Anyway, my treatment by the check-in staff put me off from the start. I did however enjoy many aspects of the hotel.

Positives:
-Executive lounge is fabulous. Super friendly staff. Nice buffet. Great selection. Such an oasis!
-Rooms were very clean and the bed was very comfortable.
-The lounge on the 3rd floor was a nice place for a drink in the evening
-Great showers

Negatives:
-The pool area is tiny and stays shaded for most of the day. Do not expect hours of sunbathing. :(
-There is huge construction occurring across the road from the hotel which is noisy in the morning and also restricts access to the beach.
-The toilet in the room is so tiny and cramped due to the unusual layout of the bathroom.

If I had not been for such an excellent executive lounge then I would have given my stay a lower rating. It is also such a shame about the shaded pool area.

As I always say with Dubai - there is so much competition that one's expectations always remain so high for any stay in the city.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank icyoubaby
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach and for taking the time to share your stay experience with us. I appreciate the fact that you are a platinum card holder of our Le Club loyalty program. However, please note that guests are entitled to benefits such as complimentary upgrade and room amenities only if they book directly on Accor / Sofitel website and not on third-party websites.

I am happy to learn that you enjoyed the service offered at our Executive lounge, signature beds, cleanliness and showers in guestrooms, and the Plantation lounge on 3rd floor. It is disappointing to know that you were unsatisfied with the pool, and the bathroom layout. Please note that the beach is still accessible even though there is a construction site, which is on the parking lot opposite the hotel and not on the beach itself.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to better meet your expectations on your next visit to Dubai.

customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae

Reviewed 17 December 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pug505

Reviewed 16 December 2012

Not a 5* hotel room very business like. Noise from building site below is awful. Starts at 0700hrs and still going on at 1745 as I sit on 31st floor writing this. We arrived at 0930hrs in morning to be told that only room available was a smoking room. We said no way and were told "you shouldn't even get to check in this early" I said funny we paid for last night so I think you will find we. Old have checked in yesterday! Surprisingly the manager agreed to an upgraded room which is nothing special and we got a room. Not being over critical. Hotel is friendly and breakfast is great bit been to better sofitels and better hotels

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach for your stay on your Dubai trip. I apologise for the inconvenience caused at the time of your check-in. Could you please send me an email on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae with your stay details and I will investigate what went wrong?

I look forward to hearing from you.