“Nightclub on the top floor - no sleep, even 5 floors below...”
Review of Byblos Hotel Dubai

Byblos Hotel Dubai
Ranked #289 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked into the Byblos Hotel in May ahead of a business meeting in Dubai the following day, in search of a good night sleep (several months pregnant and keen to be well rested!).

Having checked into a room on the 14th or 15th floor, I went to bed at 10pm and was woken by about midnight with the walls, bed and ceiling all reverberating -- it transpired there is a nightclub on the top floor (immediately above the room). No mention of this was made at check-in unfortunately.

After calling reception and requesting a room change, I was moved to the 10th floor in the opposite corner of the hotel tower, and thought the sound levels were slightly improved. Given the night porter informed me this was the only room available, i tried again to sleep (time now 1.15am).

45 minutes later, it was still impossible to sleep (teacups and saucers clattering to the vibrations!) sadly, so i called reception/night porter and requested to speak to the Manager. At this point, with few options left at my disposal i insisted an alternative room was sought. Initially, this was seen as impossible - until i mentioned i was pregnant. A further 45 minutes later, a room was located on the 4th floor of the hotel, and i was again helped to relocate to the new room. Thankfully - i can report a good night sleep from 2.45am until my alarm went off, in my new room on the 4th floor.

Please beware of the noise from the club if you are looking for a restful night!

Two emails raising the issue with Management have gone unanswered in the past 3 months, so I feel it is only fair to highlight this issue to future potential guests.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room above the 4th floor - even on a week night..... the nightclub is open every nig...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank littlesuse
ByblosHotelDubai, Manager at Byblos Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Littlesuse,

Thank you for taking the trouble to write your feelings about your experience staying at Byblos Hotel Tecom.

It is with such positive criticism that we build our operation on and move forward.

We are aware of the inconvenience that some rooms on the 15th floors below Chameleon Club- the sound get to the rooms. We are working on improving the soundproofing but the same, unfortunately, it would not be eliminated, therefore these rooms should only be allocated to early check in guests until we manage to solve the problem.

If you decide to come back and stay at Byblos Hotel Tecom on your next visit, I will be happy to offer you a drink and meet you in person.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Room was nice, but couldn't sleep until 3 am because the music from the club was so LOUD, was the same as being in the club!
Parking lot not spacious and dodgy . Elevators take forever, and staff should not be allowed to use them, as they should have staff elevators.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paulo M

Dear Mr. Paulo,

We shall enforce the policy: staff not to use guests lifts as beside 3 guest lifts, there are staff lift and service lift.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is at the heart of TECOM area and during off peak times it offers excellent rates. It is a modern hotel, reception staff are efficient and helpful and the pub on the ground floor (Crown and Lion) is excellent value for the range of food, drinks and live music.
Breakfast is good but not great and wifi is not free which is rather inconvenient but perhaps justifiable due to the low rates offered.
There is a top floor night club that seems to be quite trendy and popular but try to avoid staying on the floor below it because I stayed once and there was a problem with the noise and vibrations.
Frequent customers get regular upgrades which is a welcome gesture and seems to be standard hotel policy.
Overall great value for money judging by Dubai standards.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Michael,

“Check in as a guest, check out being a friend”.

May I first thank you for the time you took to express your feelings towards your experience staying at Byblos Hotel Tecom.

We take pride to find out that your stay was a pleasant one and consider it good value for money.

As per our company’s motto above, we will be happy to meet you in person on your next visit to Byblos Hotel Tecom.

Best regards,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The rooms are spacious and clean, seemed quite modern, good view on a high floor with a balcony.

HOWEVER, the staff are rude and unhelpful, the taxi staff outside HARASSED me and LIED and told me the hotel taxis are the same price as regular taxis. I was abruptly ushered into a hotel taxi and when I asked the driver about the price he told me they were much more expensive than a regular taxi! I was fuming and refused to pay extra. When I complained to the manager she said she would get back to us regarding a solution. Did she ever bother to speak to us after? Nope. She even waved us goodbye the following day that we left like nothing had happened.

The wifi is a con. You pay for a scratch card but they don't tell you that the meter runs continuously. It's rubbish.

Decent breakfast buffet, good location and fairly priced. Shame about the staff. I would NOT recommend this hotel to ANYONE. It's Dubai. There are PLENTY more hotels at a similar price offering a lot more.

Never again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Samantha,

May I first thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at Byblos Hotel Tecom.

It’s only with positive criticism as such that we focus on and move forward.

Taxis are RTA pertaining to government- I wish you had taken the car plate number to investigate further the problem.

Ms. Samantha, given the chance to welcome you as our guest on your next trip to Dubai, I shall be happy to meet with you in person, assuring you much better experience of our hospitality!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I'm a regular visitor to Dubai ( 10-12 visits per year) and i always stay in different hotels. always varies from 4 to 5 stars. This is by far the worst of the worst. ( point number two explains why)

I booked for 2 nights during Eid vacation 2014 and it was the worst.

First Disaster:

We were given the room me and my wife were very tired and we decided to take a short nap. Since we both sleep in the dark we wanted to switch off the lights. and to our astonishment the lights wont turn off. i called house keeping ( never in my life i would have imagined asking this question), Sir how do u turn off the light in the room? he answered in the most ironic way. you just press the off bottom.
After explaining to him that this is what i did he told me he will send some one to TEACH me how to switch off the light.
Once the service engineer came he checked the light and told me it is ok and ON. i told him i wanted OFF and to SHOCKING he asked me : WHY SIR?
I couldn't control myself at this point and i went to the reception and asked for my room to be changed. the manager then informed me that they will fix it in 5 min and that i just have to stay in the room. After 30 minutes the light was fixed.

Second Disaster:

After settling down i was checking the closet looking for an extra pillow. To my astonishment i saw something yellow in the top shelve. Being a tall person i leaned to check what it was and then i couldn't believe my eyes.
On that top shelve there was a USED DUREX Lubricant that house keeping forgot to clean from the previous guest.

I contacted the hotel and informed them that i am going to report this and they just said that this could happen in any hotel and that they don't have any extra rooms for me to switch.

this is by far the worst hotel not only in Dubai but i think in the world.

i would never recommend this hotel to any one.

Pictures of the incident attached.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Ijouj
Reviewed 2 July 2014

On the recommendation of a colleague who has stayed in the Byblos on a number of occasions and was happy with it, I decided to try it out for my most recent stay in Dubai. I was there from Sunday to Friday (5 nights) and overall I was really happy with the hotel and will stay there again.

The first thing about this hotel is the price - the current low season price makes this a very attractive economy hotel at this time of the year. I|t was significantly less than what I have paid in other hotels in Dubai.

The lobby is nice and clean and well staffed at all times. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

The room was very clean, nicely decorated, large bathroom and we did not feel cramped in any way. There are a number of restaurants in the hotel and we only tried out one of them and were happy with the service and food. For the World Cup the Byblos have a very large screen on the wall outside the restaurant on the first floor with a tiered seating arrangement. The hotel also had outdoor coolers to make it easier to enjoy the experience.

There is a pub on the ground floor (which I did not try out) and a nightclub on the top floor. Unlike other hotels where I have stayed - the nightclub I did not hear from my room. We were on the 7th floor and the nightclub was on the top floor - I believe the 14th.

This hotel is very close to the Dubai Metro - Dubai Media City Stop, and also has shops, cafes close by. You can be in Mall of the Emirates in 2 stops on the metro, or Dubai Marina in 2/3 stops depending on which section of it you want to go to,.

The main negative I had for the room was that wifi was not provided and was available at a hourly, 3 hourly or daily rate. The 1 hour charge was 15dnr, 3 hour is 45 and the daily 100. I would have preferred that the room was a little dearer and the wifi included.

Overall though, this was a very positive experience, a clean and pleasant hotel, close to most facilities and one where I will certainly stay in again. I believe though, that rates can be more expensive during the prime season in Dubai.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Anthony G
ByblosHotelDubai, Byblos Hotel at Byblos Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with regard to your recent stay at Byblos Hotel Dubai.

We are delighted to read your positive remarks about the hotel and we are glad to know that you were happy with your stay with us.

We greatly appreciate your comments and we hope to welcome you on your next trip to Dubai.

The Management

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My wife and mine first trip to Dubai, and if you are a confirmed shopaholic then you have struck oil, if not you gonna get a rough ride boy!
The hotel - modern looking and quite new I believe, but reception staff really do need to polish up their people skills when it comes to explaining things. They assume that everyone is going to ride around in taxis all the time as they could only quote distances in taxi time! They also seem to assume that all you are here for is the shopping, as there were no information brochures/things to do in Dubai leaflets available at all. Missing out on big chances there guys.
We had been allocated a room on the 7th floor, nice room in general size wise etc. but there was a coffee stain on the white linen covers at the foot of the bed, stood out like a sore thumb, and the handbags in in the bathroom had major crack in it.
Contacted the desk and after trying to explain, finally managed to get the duty manager to pay a visit. The hour was late, our room service meal getting cold so agreed to have the room serviced in the morning.
Bed comfortable and managed a good nights sleep.

After finding the local transport Metro station, eventually, used the system which was clean but crowded no matter the time of day and very reasonable in price - which we found out if you bought the day ticket, entitles you to use the surface buses as well, result!!!
No surprise we found the Dubai mall and was blown away it's huge and with the ski Dubai in there as well, managed to sweat and freeze the preverbials off simultaneously!
Returned to the hotel weary and wallet a fair deal lighter, I decided that I would go on line to check emails etc.
The subject of internet access has been mentioned before and I also fell foul of this at being charged 30 Dirhams for a 3hr scratch card. I only needed to be on line to check a couple of things and face time my son in the UK, so an hour max. I was really perturbed the following day to find my remaining 2hr balance had been lost, as they, those really unhelpful reception people now decided to tell me that the three hours was from the time of activation and continuous and NOT a meter system that you could use the following day etc. When asked if there were any 'free' WIFI areas was told that the coffee lounge had this facility. So off I go with wife to the coffee shop, only to find the 'free' connections just happened to be conditional. You had to buy something and then you got a code to last an hour - think you know where this is going, the coffee and a fruit juice came to more than the three hour card!!!
Come on people, you want to attract people to come to Dubai, the least you can do is make a few offers.
The subject of the coffee stain?, bed changed but there was a toothpaste mark where wife had left her toothbrush that morning, still on the surface that the sink sits in. Makes you think if the room had been serviced at all?

Day 2 - needed to cash travellers cheques. Amex please take note. For the first time in my life whilst travelling abroad, have not been able to cash a travellers check in a large hotel - they change cash only (and we all know why).
Tried the exchange booths at the metro station - not a chance, one was going to but wanted the proof of purchase, as well as the passport, other ID, hotel address etc. etc. etc. Hands up all those who take the purchase receipt of travellers cheques with them on holiday? Mine is safely under lock and key AT HOME.
At the mall of the emirates, I could only find one 'bank' that would cash me a cheque, with a million and one questions, 15 minutes of my life I lost and just about asking for mothers maiden name and inside leg measurement!

All in all, the hotel could definitely try a bit harder with making travellers feel welcome - it's not just someone opening the door and carting your suitcase around. On the morning of day 2 & 3, there was no hot water for the shower at 9am, and the breakfast although adequate would not have suited some friends of mine who are veggies.

Get some information for the tourist in the foyer, knock smoking on the head in your 'pub',
The potential is there, just go the extra mile.

Sorry, not 4*yet.

Room Tip: Going for shopping, no problem. Culture vulture? Try elsewhere as the area is sterile regarding the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stephen F
ByblosHotelDubai, Byblos Hotel at Byblos Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest

We would to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Byblos Hotel Dubai.

We are sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations and we apologize for the inconvenience you encountered in your stay with us.

Kindly know that your comments will be communicated with the team and we will strive to improve our services.

We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future so that we can provide you a more complete experience.

The Management