“Overwhelming but worth it”
Review of Karama Market

Karama Market
Ranked #174 of 415 things to do in Dubai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Al Karama is one of the oldest street malls of Dubai, the market sells all kinds of gift items, like t shirts and jeans, shoes and ladies handbags. The timing is 10 am to 10:30 pm and on Fridays 3 pm to 10:30 pm. The market used to be closed for lunch time but now it's changed to straight.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is a great place, and you have good craic going in and out of the shops. The workers there can be very annoying so make sure you actually know what you want before you go into the shop otherwise they won't literally leave you alone. The area is big and they all sell basically the same stuff, so when you walk out on the path they will all be calling you too. I recommend walking out of the shop where you like something, I promise you they will call you back, say you will give them a ridiculous low price, when you walk away more often that not they will give in.

Don't worry if they bring you to a random building to see more materials. I was worried the first time this happened but they say this is where they keep the real merchandise, and there will be other people in the shop that the have in an apartment also.

You will get some very nice bags, purses, wallets, watches, and UGG's here, so definitely worth the visit. Go in a group of 2 or 3, that's a nice number because you can haggle with them even better this way. Remember all the shops basically have the same merchandise, and if they don't have it there, they will go and get it for you.

Go by taxi, very difficult to get parking.

6  Thank Eoin M

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Its an interesting place to visit if you have extra tie to spare and you have nothing to do with that time! A lot of the products here are knock offs and rip offs. However if you are interested in designer products, you may be impressed with how they have almost identical replicas of the real thing. However nothing there is worth the prices they quote. They take you through back roads, hidden rooms and alleys just to look at 'designer' bags, accessories etc - but you are much better off shopping at Dubai mall and purchasing the real thing.

Its an experience though, so go if you are tired of seeing all the glitz and glamour of Dubai or if you are looking to purchase goods for resale. I recommend you bargain hard!!!

Though the Mulberry store is very impressive

3  Thank Renua

Though the Mulberry store is very impressive

1  Thank Renua2341
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Lol to the last comment . We were feeling just like you but again it was fine . I was so looking forward to a look around the shops as read all reviews on here . We arrived in Karama by taxi from our hotel & didn't know what to expect . We thought it might be some sort of mall but it's shops outside like a hight street . We went to 3 shops with a array of all sorts . I wanted a bag & watch . I said to a guy behind the counter have you got any Rolex watches & he said head down the street & you'll see a man ask him . Well there was a few men & it was a bit weird asking but I asked & one said you follow me took us to a apartment which looked run down . I was amazed & in handbag heaven they were all gorgeous & you could smell the leather . They were excellent fakes & honestly you cannot tell they aren't the real thing . I decided on a Prada bag which is stunning & I paid £325 but it is just like the real thing .I checked it out in Prada shop & it's exact . I also asked for a Rolex & bought a datejust for £200 I know a lot but it's like I say you cannot tell at all . You can most likely get cheaper ones but I wanted the real thing & got just what I asked for . They are lovely people & he was keep going away to get more stock . I couldn't choose so much to choose from . They are trying to make a living & I lived the whole experience amazing & we will be back x

8  Thank Foodsquad65
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and 15 year old son talked about this place for most of our holiday and so towards the end we got in a taxi and ventured out to Karama Market. Feedback on here is variable and so I was a but wary but it turned out to be one of life's experiences we wouldn't have missed. Having spent time in the Malls this is downtown Dubai were the real people live, it's style is Asian in its layout, it's traditions and it's fun. There are loads of shops but we went into 3 and where there for 3 hours! We went with a budget and an idea of what we wanted, well they did any way!! I bought a couple of very nice Paul Smith polo shirts in the first shop, they cost £10. We told the guy what we were really interested in was buying a Rolex and bags and so he took us to a friend of his in a neighbouring shop down a side alley. If this had been anywhere but Dubai I would have started to worry as it was not particularly clean or presentable. They started to show us a couple of fakes which were to say the least shabby. After we dismissed them all and after a bit of explaining they sent someone away to bring some more and after a couple of journeys and more dismissing we started to get to see what can only be described as genuine fakes. Really good genuine fakes. My son is a confident boy and my wife is a 'professional' shopper and together they have this barter thing down to a fine art and we ended up buying two Datejust Rolex's in there genuine fake boxes for the same price as a nice bottle of wine we had for dinner the previous night. We then explained we wanted bags so Masud, we were now family, took us to his friend nearby in what was a bit more of a traditional shop with displays etc. After a couple minutes here we again explained that we wanted to see the good fakes and this is where the real adventure of Karama Market started. We were told that they had many many bags but for 'obvious' reasons had them off site. So we followed another man to a car and were driven away. My son became a little anxious at this and when we arrived at this far from luxurious block of apartments this didn't improve. Up a couple of floors in the lift and along a couple of corridors into a flat which my wife described as heaven at which time my son had realised were weren't being kidnapped. Three rooms of very good genuine fakes!! As I said earlier my wife knows shopping and more so, bags, and has genuine bags and she was a little shocked at the very good quality and range our new friend Azfir had for us to look at. We must have spent over an hour here and in the end came out with a Celine bag, a couple of Heremes Belts and one of those Longchamp shopper bags, again for the price of that was ridiculous. We got taken back to the shop and when we got back in the taxi to go to the hotel the beam on both their faces and the memory of this experience will be talked about for a long time, well in our house only as we won't be telling anyone else which are the genuine fakes! Advice; this is Dubai, very little personal crime happens, these people are there to make a living and they are genuine about what they do. Ask for the good fakes and tell them you are there to buy and don't be afraid to walk away until you get what you want and have fun!

25  Thank PJSJOJ