Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah
Ranked #166 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Came here for my best friends wedding and when I saw her room I was in shock and awe. It was stunning with fantastic views. The pool area was gorgeous and the private beach was really something else. The wedding was held in the garden area near the beach and the food was served by way of a buffet with waiters giving is endless drinks. The waiters were a credit to the hotel, very professional and courteous. Couldn't think of a better way to start married life.

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Jackie M
KempinskiPalm, The Hotel Management at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear jacca

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us.

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your friend's wedding here at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah and that the rooms and service you experienced were to your liking.

Once again thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Yours sincerely,

The Hotel Management
Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here for our honeymoon, when we got to the hotel were surprised to see how empty the place was. We checked in easily, and were escorted to our room. I have to say that we were amazed at our room, it was a 2 bed apartment, huge living room, kitchen, utility room and 2 separate bedrooms. All rooms great sizes, everything in the rooms is quality, BOSE sound system etc etc. Very nice. Balcony was just enormous, with views over the ocean happy days.....
Things started to go wrong when we decided to take lunch, so hotel is empty you would expect good service, well not here you sit there forever waiting for one of the staff to show themselves, then we ordered and obviously the prices are ridiculous but hey ho, then the food arrived after around i think 40 minutes of waiting (remember no one else there), my wife ordered a simple salad and the leaves were brown, not very good when your paying a fortune for a lettuce leave! We complained they changed it, the chef came out and offered us a private meal cooked for us, all lovely. Now this again seemed to set the tone for the rest of our holiday, whenever there was a problem the staff were very nice in trying to make up for problems. I won't list them all as it will send folk to sleep, but we had numerous water leaks, so water coming through the ceiling.....and every time we had an issue we got fruit!! We ended up with about 5 baskets of fruit at the end, and every time I went near reception the staff all got very nervous as they though there was another problem!
And trying to get a drink or snack on the beach was like trying to raise the dead, as I mention later the hotel comes alive at the weekend and thus the service improves as the hotel has more staff, but during the week you have to be Brad Pitt to get a beer, it really was impossible. And for this sort of hotel you expect to able to grab a beer while sunbathing. After the leaf issue, I was ready to be asked to move hotel. (for the record we did try and they said its impossible because of visas etc!) I have to say that the staff were trying, and clearly this place is really there for the wealthy locals who I am guessing let us poor folk stay in there apartments when they are not using it. The hotel tended to be dead during the middle of the week, then come the weekends all the rich folk would arrive with Ferrari's a plenty and maids etc etc. Clearly this is the hotels focus not for us poor folk just staying here the odd week or so...
Also have to mention the beach BBQ, one price and eat and drink as much as you like, this was fantastic value and a fantastic night. If you stay here you must do this.
I can't give this hotel a great review as for the money you pay they are just missing the basics, it could be great really, hopefully over time the team will sort out these issues and not just cater for the owners at the weekends.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BuckLanders
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Hotel and staff were great. Apartment was exceptional. Our first time in Dubai and it won't be the last.. Even the jellyfish wouldn't put us off (son was stung but lifeguard was applying vinegar and calomine lotion in a flash)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Thompsons2013
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We went to the Kempinski Palm for a 5 night break to escape 'real life' for a bit. This was exactly what was delivered by Kempinski. Our apartment was big, spacious and well presented. Breakfast was sublime, with plenty of choice; an amazing buffet. The pool area is gorgeous although you do need to get your sunbed early. We will definitely be going back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Hotel was great, staff were fabulous. Couldn't have asked for a better hotel for our first holiday to Dubai

Local attractions (SkiDubai, Malls, Khalifa, B-Al-Arab, Hotel Atlantis, Waterparks) ware outstanding and I thoroughly recommend feeding the rays at atlantis water park

Only issue we had was the water area of the palms was un-swimmable due to jelly fish infestation

Room Tip: We had an apartment in the hotel with a private pool which I recommend if you are going in August...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank LanzLuxuryVillas
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

I booked 2 bed room suite with pool, the hotel is family oriented, the 2 bedroom suite is one of the best places i stayed in Dubai highly recommended for families whom looking for privacy.

The food is good, beach and the swimming pool are all highly equipped.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Khalaqi
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Kempinski, shame on you for letting these people manage this hotel, it could have been a great success, but it is a disappointment.

Following the decision by the UAE Federal Government to give a week off for all government employees, my family and I decided to go for a few nights at the Palm in Dubai, a place we never been to before. So I decided to book at a hotel brand I trust, Kempinski. I booked a 2 bedroom suite since the whole family was going in addition to my mother. I booked the ocean view 2 bedroom suite and I asked for an early checkin at 2PM and a late checkout at 2PM, all done over the internet. I received an email confirmation regarding all the above, so far so good, but I decided to call to make sure what the email says was indeed confirmed. And again, the Kempinski reception confirmed the details confirmed to me by email.

Left Abu Dhabi at 1PM, reached the Kempinski at 2PM and we were at the reception at 2.10PM. Went to one of gentlemen at the reception and said good afternoon, the answer was "Yes?" and a nod. Hmmmm, this is not the usual Kempinski welcome I am used to "Welcome to Kempinski sir, how may I help?", anyway, I kept my large smile and the vacation mood and handed the gentlemen the printout of my reservation and the email confirming the other details. After what seemed he was typing his memoirs, he said that the suite booked for me was a lagoon view suite and not an ocean view. So I explained to him and showed him the email confirmation that I had booked the ocean view. So he carried on typing his memoirs, and then said, ok I will change it for you, no problem. No Problem? wow thanks a lot for this favor!

I asked him if it is possible to be on a high floor, so he gave me a facial expression instead of the usual "of course, sir" and asked me to have a seat at the reception salon, and confirmed that the room will be on the 5th floor, good news. After 15 minutes of waiting, he informed me that my room wasn't ready since it is being cleaned. So I expressed my surprise, so his answer was, "well sir, you know the checkin is at 3PM". The incompetent gentlemen probably didn't know that I was a frequent traveler and that I clearly knew that the checkin usual time is 3PM, and he also missed out the email I handed to him confirming my early checkin at 2PM. Anyway, I kept my smile for my family and the vacation mood. 15 minutes later my daughters started to get hungry, so we decided to go have lunch while they prepared the room, so I told our friend that I will be going for lunch and he said he will give me a call when the room is ready.

So we went to the one of the 2 restaurants the hotel has (yes only 2 restaurants!) and it was a buffet lunch, and then the big surprise, the buffet was comprised of pizza slices, chicken nuggets and other typical junk food items. Furthermore, the food was probably dipped in sea water before being served because it was dead salty! We finished our lunch quickly thanks to the great culinary experience, so at 3.30PM, 30 minutes passed the "normal" checkin time, I went to see my friend again, so he said the room is not ready and that he cannot give me an ETA. I kept my smile and went back to my family at the restaurant.

At 4PM, still no sign from reception, I decided to go back. Upon reaching our friend, who did not express any regrets or any apologies, not even once, I asked him for the duty manager with an angry tone, so he called him and I started screaming telling him what happened and showed him all the confirmation emails. So for the first time, I got a smile and a sorry, and the duty manager said he will do everything he can to make the room available immediately. So I went back to the restaurant fuming and sat down. At 4.20PM, the duty manager comes and says we can go to the room, he waved the lunch bill and escorted us to the room and it turned out to be on the 2nd floor and not on the 5th, but it had a large and useless terrace. The cleaners were still in the room mopping and the duty manager asked them to finish quickly.

At 4.45PM we still didn't get out luggage in the room, so I had to call the concierge and ask for the luggage to we can have a swim before sunset. 5.05PM the luggage arrives, and we were at the pool at 5.30PM. First day, total waste of time.

We ordered dinner, even worse than lunch, don't even try it.

Breakfast the next morning was acceptable.... for a 3 star hotel, I won't say a single word more, and it will cost you 160AED additional, knowing that for that suite you are paying 4500AED per night. Internet is also not for free, 150AED for 3 days, great for a 4500AED suite.

The pool is very nice and the sea is also very nice, despite the jellyfish.

Second night, at 10.30PM we were already all asleep after a long day of swimming, the door bell rings, then followed by hand banging on the door. I ran thinking there is something wrong, a fire or something. I open the door and I get one of the waiters asking me if we have dirty plates for him to pick up! I was speechless, I wanted to scream at him, but I was totally speechless at such idiocy. I just shut the door.

Ordering at the pool is also an unpleasant experience, the waiters are totally unfriendly, and when ordering they don't look at you, they look away for some reason, so you have to repeat the order several times.

I will not mention the room food orders being systematically late, and the dirty dishes pickup after requesting it, happening an hour later, etc.

My total bill was 16,250AED for 3 nights, we met a few families there and they were also quite disappointed by the money value of the stay, so if you are expecting the Kempinsky 5 star experience, forget about it. If you are aiming at going to a 5 start hotel to shut down your brain, have a real vacation and have someone else take care of the details for you without a glitch, this hotel is not for you.

If you want to go to a hotel at the palm without any high expectations and have a lot of money to spend, then yes try it, the pool is nice and the beach is nice, but take frozen pizzas with you, it will be better than the food they serve there.

Another funny thing, usually in hotels in the UAE they put an arrow on the ceiling to indicate to muslims which direction they should pray, and in our room there were 2 arrows in the master bedroom, one on each corner of the room, each pointing into an opposite direction, very funny, really, but not someone who is muslim and who would like to know which direction he would like to pray, I am sorry for all the muslims who probably had to guess or prayed towards the wrong direction.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank leryan
KempinskiPalm, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Leryan,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

We regret that you had an unpleasant experience while staying with us and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you expressed.

Please rest assured that we have taken the issues mentioned in your feedback seriously and have also shared them with the appropriate departments to handle accordingly. We are also going to share your comments in our next staff training, ensuring these inconveniences you faced do not happen again.

We truly appreciate and thank you for your feedback as it allows us to assess the needs of our guests’ and continuously improve the luxury service we aim to provide.

Yours sincerely,