“Bastakiya Heritage Tour” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 382 things to do in Dubai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding (SMCCU) invites visitors and residents alike to learn about the local culture, customs and religion through its various interactive programmes under the banner and motto of the centre, "Open doors. Open minds.". The SMCCU offers Cultural Breakfast Monday & Wednesday at 10am, Cultural Lunch Sunday through Thursday at 1pm, Dinner every Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday night at 7pm and Saturday Brunch at 10:30am. We also offer Tours of the historic district every Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday at 10:30am and Saturday at 9am which includes a visit inside the Mosque near the Ruler's Court. We also offer educational courses and programmes for students and adults, and arrange private group tours and cultural events for your groups and institutions. Pre-booking and reservations can be made on our website or by contacting our office directly.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Auckland Region, New Zealand
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Bastakiya Heritage Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed this tour. We had a young Emirate girl take us for a tour, including a visit to the mosque, then we had tea and dates over a discussion about her life, and what she expects from the future. No questions were out of bound and we learned so much. I would thoroughly recommend this.

Visited May 2014

• Polish first
Boulder
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Great way to learn about local culture, Islam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We attended a free tour of the mosque here, and found it very worth the time. It helped us understand the tenets of Islam and the local culture. We learned about the basic beliefs of Muslims, their prayer practices, some of the local history, among other things. I was wearing a head scarf, shirt, and capris (capris because it was well over 100 degrees outside!!) - and apparently, my capris were too revealing because they asked me to wear an abaya. Rather than take offense, it's just a great photo opp! Definitely recommend for travelers who love to learn about the places they're traveling to.

Visited June 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“A must to all visitor of Dubai!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We tried the Cultural breakfast and was not disappointed - we learned so much about the UAE culture and tried the local breakfast spread. The host was so funny and articulate. Two thumbs up! definitely a must in your Dubai itinerary!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank AnnaDXB_12
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“LOVED the LUNCH TOUR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

My family and I went for the Tour and Lunch at the SMCCU. The tour around the center was okay, but we really enjoyed the Mosque visit. The best part of the trip was the lunch with the Emirati gentleman. He had such a great sense of humor and was willing to answer any question. I would recommend everyone to visit the place for a meal at least.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank TheJacksonsTravel
Leiria, Portugal
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“It's all about perspective!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I ended up in SMCCU through a friend who's living in Dubai and who has booked this "cultural tour". I went there with no expectations - just one more boring tour! When I arrived there I found two young Emirati talking to a big group of tourists in a "round table" kind of conversation. It was a really honest and personal witness about several social/political/religious issues and stereotypes. It was a very rewarding experience which gave me a whole new perspective about UAE and the Emirati people. We also went to the mosque and in the end we had a local lunch which was absolutely delicious. I would definitely recommend a visit to SMCCU.

Visited June 2014