“Nice rooms, comfortable stay”

Howard Johnson Bur Dubai
Ranked #267 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Philippines
“Nice rooms, comfortable stay”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My officemates and I stayed here for 4 nights and it was a very comfortable stay. It was a first for all of us in Dubai and I must say that we had an enjoyable Arabian experience. The hotel is located in Bur Dubai and is a 15min walk to the Dubai Museum, textile market, the old souq and the terminal for the water taxi. We all stayed in twin rooms in 4th floor and I particularly got a very nice huge corner room (relative to the standard the others got) with 2 queen beds in room 412. The room has all the basic amenities: hot and cold shower, toiletries, towels, hair dryer, complimentary coffee, tea and bottled water. Bed quality is excellent with a lot of pillows and throw pillows. The room can actually fit 4 people comfortably if you ask me. What I probably don't like is that housekeeping only cleans the room every other day - the coffee mugs I used are not washed; used towels were still hung in the bathroom; toiletries are refilled every other day. Receptionists are friendly - most of them are Filipinos so we can chat with them easily. But the hotel houses 2 clubs whose entrances are in the main lobby of the hotel - an image that does not totally appeal to vacationing families since there would be girls in skimpy dresses coming in and out of the bars. I'm not too sure if the hotel is a value-for-money since it was a bonus for us but the overall experience is good. I would try other places to stay though if I ever visit Dubai again.

Room Tip: Get room 412 - bigger room with 2 queen beds
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We did a stopover in Dubai on the way home to Australia. The hotel staff were very friendly and always helpful and spoke good english, no problem there.

The room was good apart from the over powering smell of cigarete smoke when you walked in, a can of room deoderisor sprayed into the air con intake was a tempory fix. The smell of smoke was odd because there are no smoking signs all over the holel walls and on the entry doors. The air con seemed to struggle to keep the room cool, even though the instruction said to set it 18 degrees C.

We were on the 7th floor and could hear the Disco on the ground floor till the early hours of the morning, I pitty the people on the 1st floor.

The breakfast was not worth having, if you got in early, it looked like had been in the hot trays for hours and replacement or top ups seemed to take forever. The table were only cleared when you left. I would not say the cleaning of the tables between guests was the greatest. I might have been spoiled by the service I have received in Thailand and Singapore over the years.

The hotel is in old part of Dubai and the taxi ride is not that costly to get anywhere, the only trouble is you have to hail the taxi from the main road at the front of the hotel and get out in the bus stop 60m from the hotel, this is fine unless a bus wants to use the same space. The safest way was to get the conceirge or the security guard (at night) to hail one for you, they are very good at this. Location was not a problem, pleanty of little shops in short walking distance and also a large shopping center (simlar to a Woolworths and Big W combined) still walking distance.

Would I stay again, No, mainly due the smoke smell in the room and the Disco down stairs.

Will I stop over in Dubai, Yes but at another hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed at this Hotel from 1-4 th Oct 2013. We found the room large, clean and comfortable.
The reception staff were Ok but not very friendly. The hotel is located in an Indian quarter not far from the port. Buses and taxis are readily available but most taxi drivers don't know where the hotel is located so make sure you carry your room card with the address on it. Breakfast is very basic with little choice. The Chinese restaurant is good with attentive staff so we ate there twice.
The hotel caters to mostly Indian and African businessmen and families. The pool was nice and clean but unfortunately is only open from 8am until 6pm ( not really useful when the temp is 42 and you'd like to cool off after a day in the heat). We were lucky that we had a room on the 6th floor away from the noise of the disco but we still had the noise of people arriving at midnight and yelling loudly( in Indian) in the hallways from room to room. Overall it was Ok but we would stay closer to Downtown Dubai next time.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the disco that operates from 10pm until 3am!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aus-54
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

We had a nice and clean room and it was not so exspasive good vallue for our money. Breakfast was average alot of of middle east and Indian food. Not much in the area but the taxi are not exspansive in Dubai.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Sander J
Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We checked in early sunday morning (18/08/13), i and 8 others where we stayed for 6 nights. The reception was warm at the counter and a staff assisted us to get to our rooms on the 4th and 5th floor. Generally the hotel is clean with nice and helpful staff. However, I was not impressed that they had to keep all our passports till we were ready to check out. Buffet breakfast was nice but we had almost same set of food brought in everyday. At a point some of my folks stopped showing up for breakfast. Wi -fi, water in the refrigerator and snacks in a small basket in the room had to be paid for. We even paid for a hand towel that was stained with food by one of our friends. Beside these, we had a nice and quiet stay as staff were ready to go out of their way to assist you whenever you needed help.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank eddiewilo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Me and my partner check in to the Howard Johnson hotel on 8th August 2013 and stayed for 9nights. Honestly the hotel has a nice look from the outside it's on a quiet corner with a bus stop right outside and a metro station within walking distance. As soon as I walked in the hotel I hear so much noise from the night club that was coming from an entrance in the hotel lobby I looked at my partner with a "how are we going to sleep with all this noise" face honestly you could feel the vibration of the base at the reception it was ridiculous! However thank God our room was on the seventh floor (if it wasn't believe me I would have complained) Reception was quite efficient in checking us in, they take your passports and you can only collect them the following day. No one there smiles apart from Riyaz who is one of the staff at the hotel, he was so lovely bless him always getting us taxi's always greeted us, had a smile on his face he was the nicest person at that hotel. The room is very basic but quite clean, There is no free internet connection not even in the lobby. They charge AED12 per hour.

The location was the only good thing about this hotel, only a 15/20 minute taxi ride to the Burj Khalifa and the Dubai mall, and then a 30/35min taxi ride to Wild Wadi Water park or Atlantis.

The Buffet breakfast was such a let down, it was so basic (Check my pics) and it never changed it was always the same thing the choice was very limited.

And the worst thing about this is that my make up went missing from my room, but the housekeeping manager insisted that no one would touch my make up despite having proof of a picture showing my make up on my bedside, I got so annoyed because my make-up doesn't have legs something obviously happened to it in the room and she was so un co-operative it got me really angry.

The mattress is so so uncomfortable I hated it :( It was so hard! Every morning I woke up my back would be killing me it was not the best stay at all.

Lastly be warned that if you consume any of the food thats marked with a "HOJO" sticker they will CHARGE you for it on your checkout, they make you sign a contract before you go to your room that does say they will charge you for any snacks or drinks that the hotel provided are consumed which is bloody stupid like seriously, its a hotel why would you keep those things in ones room and not expect people to eat it. Another thing that really annoyed me is that I completely forgot about that part in the contract and when it came to checking out they charged us for the crisp packets we opened and chocolate alongside the 7UP. Stupid!

I won't be staying here again thats for sure and I do not recommend it.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here just try and get a room on the top floor as you will avoid all the noi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tatiana F

Travellers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
Reviewed 29 August 2013

i stayed this hotel for 2 day stopover in july. the receiptionist introduced us to book the city tour over the tour agency in the lobby. this guy charged us double price than normal. we really angry with that ...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family