“Very average...”

Ranked #276 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
Vacoas
“Very average...”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

the hotel is a very opulent one in terms of decoration. the staff does it's best but management seem very poor. Good for a business trip where you only come to sleep. i do not recommend as price/value is not good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pascal C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Wow! Have just stayed here and it took 30 minutes for me to be checked in. I saw 2 people in front of me leave angrily due to the amount of time and no communication from check in staff. They had no idea what they were doing and were very rude when anybody asked any questions. Rooms are nice and spacious but honestly the staff on the check in desk were hurrendous.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank hojuben
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I had business in Abu Dhabi before meeting up with friends in Dubai. We arrived at the hotel at 7:25 pm and proceed to check-in only to be told that they didn't have a reservations for us. I had booked directly through the hotel 1.5 weeks prior to arrival so we showed the confirmation email via an iPhone. The manager came out and asked if we had the printed copy. I didn't, but said if he could direct me to a printer, I'd be more than happy to do so. After he obtained the printed confirmation, he said that Booking.com didn't have our information. I said, "That's funny because I didn't book through Booking.com. If you just read the confirmation you had me print, you will see that I booked directly through your hotel." He said, "Ahhh, that makes a difference." How does that make a difference?

I had other friends meeting us in the lobby at 8 pm. We didn't get into the hotel room until 8:20 pm. At which time we walked in (only one key card worked) to find that it hadn't been cleaned from the previous occupants! Downstairs I go only to be told to please give another 20-40 minutes for them to clean the room. Nothing was comped, no other room offered, NOTHING! What would have happened had we shown up at the original check-in time of 2 pm? So much for my reservations to have dinner at 8 pm!

We finally get into our room after 9 pm and then quickly get dressed to meet our friends for dinner (only for some of our friends to give up waiting and leave altogether). I needed to exchange USD for AED and was then told, "We don't have change right now. Come back in the morning." You have got to be kidding me.

I didn't deal with the staff or hotel anymore. I simply slept in the bed with limited TV access (there are other channels available in this area than just Dubai One and Understanding Islam), but mostly stayed out of the hotel. I would never recommend this place to anyone. It is more hassle than it's worth and there are plenty of other places that cost the same or less without the headache.

Room Tip: Make sure the occupants sharing the connecting room are not loud and obnoxious at 8 am.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank leannegraves
uae
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I live in the UAE and stay in hotels all over the Emirates for my work - unfortunately this was one of the worse due to the service of the staff and the location. Check in took nearly 45 minutes and Check out was about the same with one of the staff most rude and unhelpful.

Also our room was opp a building site with crane noise all afternoon - lucky for us they dont work on a friday so we managed to get some rest in the morning...

The rooms were clean and breakfast was fine but I would not stay again due to the fact of the time consuming check in and staff.

Room Tip: away from the building site
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank bumbles1971
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Posizione strategica vicino al mall of emirates ed alla relativa stazione metro.
Personale gentilissimo, camera spaziose. Ben pulito.
Struttura nuovissima. Wifi gratis. Canali tv italiani.

• Stayed January 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 January 2012

For a new hotel I expected it to have a few hiccups, not as many as I received.
We arrived in our car to be told they didn't have valet service so had to park it ourself. On arrival to reception I noticed 2 members of staff, a female attending to 3 different customers without eye contact and a male on the phone- Ahmed, after 5 minutes of us waiting he then told me to join the other que. no apology or reason why. I waited a further 10 minutes and he then went on to attend to my mothers (separate) booking. I was checked in by the female receptionist and Ahmed took another 10 minutes- on and off the phone, checking in my mother. All done without any communication and he was constantly on and off the phone, the guy seriously needs a new job or he was not in a good mood that day!
After a poor start we checked out our rooms. Spacious,clean and comfortable. Although for a new hotel the decor already looks like its falling apart and I'd give it 6months to a year before things dont look as new as they are.
The mini bar was completely empty which I questioned and they said it should be fully stocked, good job I checked otherwise I'd have had a rather large bill.

Breakdown... Lobby: very cheap looking-dated already, gold everywhere, terrible reception staff, very unwelcoming and security make you feel like a thief.
English pub: Nice.
Indian nightclub: Ok if you like that kind of thing :-/
Bathroom: The bath products are cheap, hairdryer was Ok for a travel one, shower cubicle was small but there is another above bath.
Bedroom: Large room with sofa/tv/free internet- Note, we had to request iron/iron board- and then again for adaptor.
Location is walking distance to Mall of the Emirates, nothing else in the area but you can jump on the metro which takes you to most places in Dubai.
I didn't view the pool area, my mother said it was OK but she is easily pleased ;-)
Upon checking out the safety deposit box wouldn't open so we called the reception and after a further 4 CALLS and 45minutes waiting security turned up and unlocked it for us.

All in all the place was just OK, I would not stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 24 November 2011

The Grand Excelsior is situated in a good location. Well placed for the Mall of the Emirates, the Metro system and the open top bus tour. Staff are excellent, very helpful and polite.I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dubai.

Room Tip: Our room was very good.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple