“Well located, excellent staff”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Al Barsha
Ranked #264 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Perth, Australia
“Well located, excellent staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

We stayed in the Grand Excelsior for three nights and I can't praise the staff enough. I was taken ill on the first night of our stay and the night concierge (Joe) organised a taxi to get me to the Saudi German Hospital (excellent itself) only 5 minutes away. When I told him that I didn't have any local currency he gave me a 50 Dirham note to pay the driver! He didn't know me from a bar of soap yet he was willing to give me money out of his own pocket! I paid him back of course when I returned from hospital. The food in this place is excellent and the hotel is within easy walking distance of the Mall of the Emirates and a Metro stop. We were very pleased with the value for money that the Grand Excelsior represented and would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bolton, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

I found the hotel via e-bookers.I could not beleive the price I was being quoted as it excellant value. On arrival the hotel has been constructed to look like a cruise liner...but stranded in the middle of dusty spare land. The interior of the hotel was aestehtically pleasing and the bedrooms large and spacious. The breakfast dining room was large, light and well presented. Breakfast was good with a variety of fresh fruits, cerials, breads and hot food. A chef was also on duty to cook ommlette or eggs as required.

Situated just off Sheik Zayed Road behind the Mall of the Emirates it was in a great location for my business meetings and also for socialising in the evenings.

I have read some of the other reports, one of which clearly had a bad experience. Perhaps the hotel has learned its lessons, I can only say my experience was good and I will use the hotel again when I next visit Dubai

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Eagley
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I really enjoyed my 10 days in dubai,,my first visit and the hotel was awesome. Staff were very helpful and room service was great, especially Adil and Eileen were great.
Will definitely book with this hotel again....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Farizb
Mumbai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Like my title suggests - front desk staff are extremely foolish and immature. They do not understand any foreign language (english included), forget about listening to your concerns. I travelled with my family and booked 2 rooms thinking it was a relatively new hotel and will be accomodative or atleast cordial enough towards its guests. We got the worst choice of rooms despite the Hotel being virtually vaccant (20-25% occupancy). The breakfast menu was scanty and did not change for the 4 days we stayed there. The Indian restraunt was a very shady place which had female dancers from India and guests were encouraged to throw money at them. The rooms were very average and cleaned only after calling housekeeping 3-4 times. On checkout we were harrased by front desk people and the hotel manager to pay up 300 Dirhams for a small hand sized towel which had lipstic marks on it. If towels are meant to be used then what is the fuss?The hotel staff realised that they are being unreasonable only after a kind man from Pakistan (another guest) intervened and helped us fight it out with them. We had to fight in the hotel reception for 40 mins - felt extremely harrased and no senior management staff came to speak to us. Just imagine if the hotel staff tells your mother that she should use the Towel carefully and not wipe her face with it. The staff also tried to dupe us by charging for breakfast for one person which was already included in our room fare. We later on sent a complaignt through our travel agent to the Hotel authorities who lay a deaf ear to our complaignt. The only good part of the Hotel was an English Pub - probably because it had a westerner - expat baratender.Extremely dissapointed by them and will request any one reading this review not to book a room there.

Room Tip: Please dont go there. You will all be dissapointed for sure.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank KshitijPradhan

Travellers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Ludhiana, Punjab, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

when i checked in they upgraded my standard room to royal suite.
it was ausome. staff was very helpful and friendly.
good hotel to stay.
food in the hotel is quiet good.
swimming pool is small but clean.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Vacoas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

the hotel is a very opulent one in terms of decoration. the staff does it's best but management seem very poor. Good for a business trip where you only come to sleep. i do not recommend as price/value is not good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pascal C
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Wow! Have just stayed here and it took 30 minutes for me to be checked in. I saw 2 people in front of me leave angrily due to the amount of time and no communication from check in staff. They had no idea what they were doing and were very rude when anybody asked any questions. Rooms are nice and spacious but honestly the staff on the check in desk were hurrendous.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo