“Comfortable stay”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Al Barsha
Ranked #260 of 565 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My short stay in this hotel provided so much comfort after a long trip. The hotel rooms are very spacious and clean. The beds are very comfortable and gave my back a very restful break. The breakfast was Ok, though we were in a hurry because we came down almost few minutes before closing time. The hotel and its location is quiet and away from the hassle of the busy city.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This place is terrible. It is in the middle of nowhere. My wifi didnt work ever on my laptop or phone. The air in my room wouldn't turn off and it was freezing. The restaurant options are subpar. The pool is nice and so is the gym. But I wouldn't stay here again. Customer service is terrible. My bathroom has black mold all over the ceiling and parts of the ceiling are literally falling off into the shower where there was obviously water damage before.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Phillygirl2
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Check in employees very gentle. I found a kind albanian lady who also sopke a perfect italian and give us many good tips for a short visit of the town.
Hal was gorgeous.
The room was very nice: two large beds, well furnished and quite. The bathroom had old and not in good condition furniture.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel is in a quiet area and is about a 10 minute walk from the metro. The only shops on the door step is a supermarket just along the street. The hotel itself seems to be undergoing a change from the Dowe Palace to Grand Excelsior, not sure when Sterling Hotels took it over. The rooms were lovely and large, with a very comfortable bed. They were cleaned well as was the rest of the hotel. The staff were really nice and couldn't do enough for you. All in all a most enjoyable stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I really wanted to be nice about this place I so really did but there were so many things that just annoyed me I can't be as nice as I wanted.

Arrived at about 12pm and asked if we could have a room early and they said yes not a problem, 2 hours later still no room despite asking several times (if it can't be done please don't say it can), when finally got a room we had a 27 room now I have seen on here not to get a 27 and I have to agree DO NOT GET A 27 ROOM as you are next to the battery room and when you lay down you hear a constant droning noise which is a real shame as the room was really really nice, massive bed, sofas, bath AND separate shower it was genuinely nice. Called down to reception to change rooms which was done in about 20 minutes, got to the new room which was smaller but still nice just no shower or sofas. From a room standard point of view no problems here at all.

Now for the things that let the hotel down:

The TV setup, this really is poor. It started with about 5 English Channels, Dubai One, BBC News, Sky News, FX and History and by the end the best ones Sky News and FX had gone, we called to reception to see what had happened and they sent someone up to have a look. I explained that it was not the TV and that there was nothing wrong with it and in fact it was their actually receiver/setup that had malfunctioned and to look there but he proceeded to retune the TV which I already did and said 3 times I had done this. Anyway he left and said he'd look into it. The next day when I got back from work the TV was still not working, went downstairs and asked and they said someone would be up to look. They came and said that someone was coming to look at the dish on the roof as it was this that was broken but it would be fixed the next day 5 days later still broken, I think it still might be to be honest.

The internet, now this was something that really annoyed me. It is nigh on impossible to multitask in this place as the internet is throttled to a pathetic 1MB. I called to the reception several times and nothing happened so I requested to speak to the IT manager. He came up with the manager and we discussed the issues and I was told that they would tweak a few things that would speed this up now from an IT background I know what can and can't be done and when I suggested the easiest way to do this he said he would see what he would do. In all honesty I didn't actually ask for much to be done, I only asked to be taken off the throttle and have the bandwidth increased but alas this was not done even after they said they could/would do it.

Housekeeping, very inconsistent indeed. Sometimes they would leave 1 hand towel or 2 or 1 floor mat or none or they would miss the bin, not wash the spoons or leave things by mistake.

Outside food, I have stayed in many hotels in Dubai and have always had the odd takeaway delivered and never had an issue except for here, they refuse to send the driver up to the room stating that they do not allow outside food which is a bit contradictory as they have takeaway menus from outside restaurants in the rooms now don't get me wrong I understand why they might not want outside food in the hotel but to make you walk all the way down to collect it is just stupid if you can still take it up anyway.

The location is pretty good in that it's a 10-15 minute walk to the Mall of Emirates or 10AED in a taxi, small store on the corner and a few other places here and there.

We had high hopes for this place but as they say it's the small things that let a place down and in this case it really did, as I said though the rooms are really nice, the hotel was really nice and I can't fault that they just need to work on the small things. Had we been there a few days it would have been bearable but as we were there for over 10 it became tedious.

I know that the management read and respond to the comments left here so I will say this, Philip is a great manager and he helped a great deal with various things throughout the stay and I can't fault him at all but you just need to get a few things back on track.

Room Tip: Do not get a 27 room and stay on the road side due to building works on the other.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Super-Dantendo
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Despite all the comments regarding the smell and cleaniness of the room i had very clean and well maintaind room. Check in & check out was smooth. Breakfast was not with a lot of choices but was very good for most people. They upgraded my reservation from superior to deluxe room which was very nice of them. Hotel Location is perfect for me as i already have my own car. Wifi signal is good and the connection was fast. Housekeeping is good. I couldnt hear the music at night as my room was in higher floors. The only thing that i didn't like is that there constraction near the hotel and was noisy in the morning but this isnt the hotel fulet. I will deffenitly coom back to this lovely hotel again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Murtada147
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I was there last year for middle east electrical excibitaion and me and my friends stayed at this hotel durin our trip This hotel is near to mal of Emirates , perfect place and perfect stuf but meals could be better , I had 5 good days at this hotel

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business