“Wonderful”

Ranked #102 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
London
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I've had a few upgrades in my time but never one like this - from a studio sea view to a 4 bed apartment with sea view (2706). I actually managed to get lost once! The decor is lovely - fresh, clean and stylish. The master bedroom has an ensuite, the second (king) has a bathroom shared with the twin, there is a separate cloakroom, and the fourth (a bit of a boxroom, great for a teen) has a wetroom. And I got all this because I wanted the (newer) Residences and the cheaper than the sister Hotel rates!

The kitchen was large and well equipped although it would be nice if the hotel could provide a few basics like a couple of dishwasher tabs and/or some washing up liquid. The hotel is just over the road (The Walk) from the Hilton hotel and shares facilities - including the beach club which has plenty of umbrellas and loungers on the beach and beachtowels/changing rooms etc. This is important - not all the hotels have this and it is policed. A gentleman who tried parking himself on a lounger was asked where his towel was (you have to give your room no to get one) and was told to go and check in at the beach club. He did not return.
The beach here is good with a gentle shelf, good swimmable area and soft sand. It does get very hot so after about 11 it is too hot to sit out (IMO). Mornings are best here. Loads of activities too so it can be quite noisy, but good fun.
Back in the apartment the aircon was excellent which has not always been my experience in Dubai – it was easy to set and get rooms cool, although it’s also easy to set higher if preferred. My third bedroom(!) - the twin - was set at 24C where I left it - too warm for me - but handy for airing clothes after a spin in the washing machine.
Although my intention was to get a room with kitchen facilities and there is a good supermarket just behind the hotel, I didn't use it much in the end, except for breakfast which is really useful, as I ate out – there is a great choice of restaurants on the doorstep. There is a Tim Horton coffee shop next to the hotel where you can pick up coffees and pastries which along with some fruit and yogurt from the supermarket makes for a nice cheap breakfast. Save your cash and spend it on dinner. (One huge advantage of the Walk is that there are tons of cafes and restaurants within a five to ten minute walk in either direction - not to be underestimated in a city which is generally not pedestrian friendly and where you can feel a bit deserted, so to speak. ). I had worried that there might be noise from traffic and people – it’s very lively in the evenings – but I heard nothing in my room. One advantage of the hotter weather (it was 38-40C whilst there) is that the bling boys keep their windows shut and aircon on, so you don’t get Ferrari sound systems blaring out. They can’t race up and down the Walk either btw – the traffic moves at a sedate crawl most of the evening.
There is a restaurant on site where I had one buffet dinner – fairly pricey but good food and had I been hungrier would have been better value.
Finally the staff, in a city where friendly, high standards of service are the norm, were outstanding. Always ready with a friendly greeting, call the lift (which can be a bit slow given the number of people, but isn’t as bad as some posters have made out), arrange transport, chase up an excursion booking, or even get the hot water working (I had none on arrival). When I arrived too early to check in they offered to - and did -phone me when my room was ready about an hour later. The taxi driver dropped me at the Hotel despite my instructions - the Residences are literally on the opposite side of the walk - I think drivers don't like dropping off here as there isn't a good parking space, although traffic can get round them, but if this happens no worries - the porters will greet you, and walk you over, carrying your luggage for you in no time.
The only wrinkle in the whole stay was not getting hot water the first night and as others have said the water pressure in the shower is a little weak, but not impossible.
I would love to go back, My only worry is that nothing can live up to that upgrade and I really cannot justify what it normally costs (I checked of course…)
Thanks to all the staff there, they really are an asset to the Hilton brand. For the rates the studios normally cost and the location, this must be the best deal right by the beach.

Room Tip: High floor, pay the extra for the sea view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank parklandwalk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Utrecht
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We had 3 room appt. Very spacious. 1 king bedroom With ensuite bathroom. 1 king bedroom. 1 room With 2 double beds. 1 extra bathroom. 1 guest toilet. 1 maid's room With bathroom. Staff is very friendly. Roomservice is good as is The quality of The food. Breakfast is like european hiltons, enough variety, but not so much as in Asia. Beach is from Hilton Jumeirah. Walking bridge to Hilton was not ready yet. Absolutely great to stay at, especially With kids.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank 4T4U
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Well , that was really an experience.....

Got a 3 bedroom apartment ( as an upgrade , because Hilton Jumeirah was fully booked) in 27th floor.

It is obvious that that was a residential building turn to serviced apartments, but this has not a negative meaning , it is just that the space arrangement in the common use areas is somehow unusual.
So , if you are a family traveling to Dubai for some days under the sun you will have Hilton+ standards in the size of a big apartment, spacious kitchen, Hilton breakfast and also access to Hilton Jumeirah Pool & Private beach.
Breakfast was great , I enjoyed the beach a lot , the beach restaurant and pool bar are very nice.
So for families I would definitely recommend the place, provided that you can afford it, but then have in mind that I am not aware about the competition on that category.

What was really great was the staff, I have done a bit of traveling and I have to say that staff got my personal number 1 prize for service and hospitality, so I hope that Hilton management is reading this because I want to congratulate Sara & Cherry in the front desk.

The only comment is that there is possibly a small problem with the hot water ,as it doesn't run out immediately from the tap. Might be because of the 27th floor.

Room Tip: 2702 was a 3 bedroom aprt , but it had an extra? bedroom so its total capacity is 7 persons. 2702...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Slazgrc
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed in the residences across the street from the main hotel, the rooms were large and well equiped but the feeling was not of the quality of the main hotel. The staff were friendly and efficient, and the breakfasts were varied and of a good quality. Not so keen on the location, felt the area was vastly overdeveloped and enjoyed the less crowded areas of Dubai more. Overall impression let down by an admin error after leaving but i suppose these things happen.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UKSteveYvonne
OliverKesseler, Director of Operations at Hilton Dubai The Walk, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time in posting a review and feedback of your recent stay at the Hilton Dubai Jumeirah Residences.

While I am pleased to know that you were satisfied with most of our services and facilities based on your comments, I regret to note that we were not able to meet the full expectations of your holiday particularly with regards to our location and a less than satisfactory experience after departure.

On behalf of my team, kindly accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment or inconvenience we might have caused you due to the administrative error you have mentioned, and please feel free to contact me directly to help us to ensure that this incident has been rectified, and not to be repeated.

Meanwhile, we do look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Dubai Jumeirah Residences, in the nearest future, for a chance to be of service to you again.

Yours Sincerely,

Oliver Kesseler
Director of Operations
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was an awesome experience. As other reviewers have said, the taxi driver did have a bit of difficulty finding this place. However, I think it is because it is new, so that is fine by me. Thanks to the reviews I was prepared to help the taxi driver find the place. :)

Upon arrival, we were greeted very warmly by all of the staff we encountered. We were upgraded from a studio to a 2 bedroom apartment. Room service was excellent, beach views beautiful and perfect locations to many shops and restaurants!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank like2travel033
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel, we arrived around 4pm after a 14 hour flight from Australia, the taxi driver had no problem finding he hotel, the reception staff were lovely and was pleasantly surprised to find on entering our room we had been up graded to a 4 bed luxery appartment on the 30th floor with sea view (we had booked a 2 bed studio), The room was hugh, large kitchen, dining room, 3 bedrooms plus a maids room (!), amazing. Have read other reviews from people saying the lifts are inadequate, but can honestly say we never had to wait for a lift, the staff were fantastic and went out of thier way to help and always made a fuss of the children. Breafast was very good, and was quiet at 7:30am.
Didn't use the pool at the hotel, preferred to walk accross the road to the Hilton Hotel. The pool area was lovely, no problem getting a lounger by the pooll or on the beach up to about 11am, it did get busy but the pool and beach staff always managed to find people arriving later a lounger and did remove towels off beds that weren't being used.
Great location, plenty of restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. We had a wonderful stay at this hotel and would definately recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank JVB32
Gloucester - UK
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My family and i stayed here for 10 days from 29th March to 8th April in a Deluxe Seaview Studio (upgraded after an issue). First thing to point out is that the Residence is converted apartment block that was not originally designed as a hotel and suffers from this hence the issues with lifts, aircon and water pressure you may have read about on previous reviews. The residence is situated across The Walk from the main hotel (literally a10 second walk) and there is a overhead walkway opening soon. The location is excellent!

One thing i want to say in advance of my review is regarding the hotel staff at the residence. They are the nicest, politest people i have ever encountered at a hotel and i stay at a lot of hotels. Nothing was too much trouble and they were courteous, always had a smile (unlike alot of the other guests) and made you feel welcome at all times. This was from the Management down to the Pool attendants.

We booked a studio seaview via the hilton website for 2 adults and 2 children. i rang Hilton to check the sleeping arrangements and they advised me on two occasions that it would consist of a king bed and a sofa bed which is fine. Open arrival at the room we just had a king bed, we complained and they sent a single bed to the room but that was still not enough for 4 people (the manager confirmed they do not even even own Sofa beds). i was then offered an upgrade to a two bed apartment for a cost of £2k which i declined due to cost. They then gave me a a free upgrade to a deluxe studio which was larger but still didn't really sort out the sleeping arrangements but did give us more space. If you try to book two adults and two children in a studio now it will not allow it as this room has a max occupancy of 3.

Facilities - You have full access to the main hotels pool and beach BUT the main hotel facilities were designed just for the main hotel occupancy so adding in the additional hundreds of people from the residency causes issues and during the busy season this means overcrowding in the key areas. This means standing in queues for Breakfast after 9:30 and ensuring you have a towel on a sunbed by 8:30am to stand any chance of getting one.

One thing this hotel desperately lacked was a sense of togetherness, there was no Happy Hour or events designed to integrate the occupants and believe me it needs a Happy Hour as food and drinks are ridiculously overpriced. A pint of Heineken is £8 and simple BBQ food such as ribs or prawns are in excess of £25 a dish (on the walk which is literally outside the hotel foyer you can get the same quality food for less than £10).

This was my first visit to Dubai and overall its not for me.If like the "strut round the pool in high heels and designer clothes brigade" or getting excited about young guys driving around endlessly in luxury and supercars for no other reason that to flash their wealth then it may be for you but for me to it was too pretentious.

It will be back to the Caribbean or Mexico for me next Year!

Room Tip: 1. Seaview room have both a seaview and a view of the Walk which is nice 2. Get a deal! - i would h...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Paul B
OliverKesseler, Director of Operations at Hilton Dubai The Walk, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you for posting a comprehensive review of your recent stay at the Residences.

We are happy to know you appreciated our location and grateful of your positive comments towards our team members and management. I will make sure that your kind words have been conveyed to everyone.

It is with regret, however, to know that we were not able to fully meet your expectations due to some shortcomings in our service and facilities.

Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences that we have caused you and your family.

Rest assured that your comments and suggestions have been taken seriously and constructively and that we have taken steps to ensure that the incident regarding sleeping arrangement will not happen again to anyone of our guests and that the set up and facilities in the beach area will be improved.

While we find our prices reasonable, your suggestion of a ‘happy hour’ has been taken into consideration.

Hope none of these misgivings has turned you off Dubai completely and that you may reconsider a repeat stay with us, in the nearest future, to give us chance to regain your confidence in us and let you experience the improvement in our service and facilities.

Yours sincerely,