“7 star experience!!”

Price range: £80 - £106
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Umm Suqeim
Description: A more casual kind of luxury'Gate to the Sea' in Arabic, Bab Al Yam, is a retreat to our private poolside restaurant and experience the best of al fresco dining under the sun.Offering up breakfast, lunch and dinner, this leafy hotel oasis offers the perfect opportunity to savour a moment to yourself. It's also a prime spot to take in the stunning sea views just beyond the poolside cafe and sundeck.Lavish international cuisine is served buffet-style, offering you the freedom to try something new or a bit of everything. Each dish is prepared to the highest standards, making this a wonderful place to indulge in flavours from around the world.
Reviewed 6 July 2016

We ere able to use our half board vouchers from the JBH and pay a small supplement to experience lunch in the worlds only 7 star hotel. It was an experience never to forget. The food and service in Bab Al Yam were out of his world and the views of the new deck at the Burj were fabulous. My son was given a cake to celebrate his birthday, just amazing. Thank you to Anderson for the fantastic service.

1  Thank U7272GAkathym

Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

The restaurant was very prepared and very well equipped. The food was absolutely excellent and the service was the best service I've had in a long time. Sonam who was our waiter was very very good, very friendly, and was always smiling.

Tl;Dr the restaurant is excellent and the service was better (specially sonam.)

2  Thank Abdulla_rida
Reviewed 3 July 2016

Visited the Bab Al Yam buffet restaurant yesterday following on from a recommendation of a friend.

The purpose for the visit was to surprise a good friend who is sadly leaving Dubai – this was mentioned upon the time of reservation along with when I rang to re-confirm the booking a couple of hours before our visit.

Unfortunately, the experience didn't live up to expectations for various reasons. It wasn't bad by any means, just wasn't the level of service we had in mind when visiting one of the best hotels in the world.

Having lived in Dubai for almost 5 years, and dined at almost all of the Jumeirah restaurants (I got married in Al Qasr, so know the level of service they offer), I was excited to return to the Burj Al Arab. I have eaten dinner there in the Asian restaurant, had afternoon tea, drank at the Sky Bar etc. and had incredible experiences each time.

Upon arrival a member of staff unfortunately spoilt the surprise for our friend by asking “Who is the person who is leaving today? Your friends are through there…”. A simple mistake, I understand, so didn't mention it. We then sat down and placed an order for drinks, which took around 20 minutes to be delivered to the table. The buffet offering is okay, not great for vegetarians or people that don’t eat fish (I love meat and fish, but just FYI for fellow customers). The service was also just okay, but could have been more attentive when clearing up unused plates/empty glasses etc.. Plus, the temperature in the restaurant was extremely hot, there was no air conditioning at all.

We let all those points slide as we hate complaining, however was hugely shocked when we received the bill. While I would never expect anything for free and we are all happy to pay our way, we were really upset to find out that one of the cocktails we had been ordering was 195dhs, versus the 80dhs of all the others. This was a Mimosa, made with prosecco (not even champagne!!!). I hadn't bothered to look at the menu (bad idea, I admit) but did ask my friend how much the cocktails were, to which she replied ‘80dhs’, as that was the price of ALL the other cocktails on the menu – I personally believe that a member of staff could have pointed this out to us as FYI. We had also realised that we’d been charged 350dhs for bottled water (even though the waiters did not give us a choice if we even wanted water, they just poured it. And there was water as part of the buffet in big jugs which we could have had for free!!!), along with coffees which were also chargeable.

40GBP for a cocktail, 65GBP for water and almost 50GBP on 3 coffees is ridiculous, even at a 7 star hotel. Our total bill came to over 1000GBP, for 8 people to have a buffet and drinks, of which 3 were pregnant/non-drinkers.

When it came to notifying the manager of this feedback (not complaining, just letting him know) he was completely stand off-ish, rude, unprofessional and left a sour taste in everyone’s mouth. His argumentative answers were:

“You should have looked at the menu”
‘These are the same prices you pay in Europe” – assuming we are tourist, when infact we are all Dubai residents and have lived here for many years
“You are at the Burj Al Arab” – Erm if you need to remind your guests where they are, then something is clearly not right
“Why are you only bringing this feedback up at the end when the bill comes?” – proposing that we can’t afford to pay the 5500dhs bill

They did eventually knock off the water and coffee’s and the manager loosened up slightly towards the end, however I just think the attitude of the staff, the overpriced menu, the hot restaurant, the spoilt surprise and lack of choice at the buffet secures that we will never be back. Such a shame!!

11  Thank laurajanecoops
Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

Awesome place for iftar dinner in DXB. Visit this place many time and lovin to eat here. I visited Bab Al yam many time with family and as well as with friends .
I refer to all people once in a life come here in Bab Al yam and you will never ever forget this awesome place.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 26 June 2016

We ate breakfast here every morning and also decided to have Dinner one evening. There is a great selection from the vast buffet but Chef Shamoun knew what we liked and went above and beyond to cook me the most beautiful piece of halibut which was so succulent and he cooked a perfect Wagu steak for my husband. Great views but was too hot to sit outside. ALL the staff in the Restaurant do a marvellous job and Satish as usual is soo kind to us and that's why we keep going back. The new terrace is truly a vision to see and will be back soon. Thank you all team BAY :)

Date of visit: April 2016