“Wondeful Hotel - could not have been more helpful!”
Review of Dusit Thani Dubai

Dusit Thani Dubai
Ranked #73 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
“Wondeful Hotel - could not have been more helpful!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our first trip to Dubai and we booked 7 nights at this hotel. We thought it was perfect for our trip requirements. Dubai is an amazing place we had a fabulous time.

It is by a busy main road but I doubt if you can find such a reasonably priced good quality hotel as this one that isn't by a busy road in Dubai ... its a city, expect city type surroundings! The location of this hotel is perfect for sightseeing.... it is right on the main metro link for cheap, fast and regular public transportation (every 5 mins in the day and 10 mins at night up to 11.30pm) so you can reach the Creek and Souks at one end and the Marina and Palm in the opposite direction.
The hotel is right on the doorstep of the Burj Khalifa with its beautiful fountain displays in the evening and the Dubai Mall which is huge and has every shop you could possibly want or need. A taxi here would be about 12 Dirhums (£2!!) If you require a taxi to venture further there are over 5,000 of them in the city and the cost from the hotel to the Marina is about 50 Dirhams (£8 approx.) so they are not expensive. The hotel will hail a taxi for you and in the event one is not available you can get a hotel driven car which is a higher charge but still not expensive and if you have somewhere to be urgently it is a very handy additional service. The reason I mention the taxi service is because of the Dubai one way system which makes it difficult to reach some places on foot without having to cross very busy dual carriageways with limited or no pedestrian crossings. ALWAYS ASK TAXI FOR A RECIEPT will explain later.

We had a Delux Double room on the 31st floor 3109 over looking the Sheikh Zayed Road... while its not in the direction of the Burj Khalifa it was a stunning view of the city skyline and we were more than happy with it. We heard no road noise at all, it was a lovely peaceful environment. The room might show a little wear and tear but its nothing. It was spotless and exceptionally comfortable. The separate power shower was fantastic! The bed was massive with no dip in the middle and we slept very well. Complimentary sealed bottled water was provided everyday. There was also a mini bar and tea and coffee facilities... (my only niggle here was that there was only coffee mate and no actual milk for my tea) There was a robe and two pairs of slippers hung in the wardrobe. Although the robe was very small fitting. (I am a size 10/12 lady) it only just fit me. It would have been nice to have a robe each as well but it was hardly a big issue. We were given plenty of towels and the room comes with the usual complimentary toiletries. Everyday a newspaper was hung on the door outside our room in a little bag. We were never disturbed by housekeeping on a morning even if we forgot to use the do not disturb sign and our room was always made up on our return from a day out. Wifi works throughout the hotel provided you are a staying guest and instructions are given on checking in. It will disconnect you if you don't use it after a period of time and that keeps the bandwidth free and running smoothly.

They have three restaurants in the hotel we tried two of them, the Italian and the Thai. They also have an American diner. All the food we had at the hotel was delicious and cooked to perfection. The evening we got there it was very late about 11pm but the Italian restaurant stays open until midnight. Despite not getting to the restaurant until about 11.30pm and being the only people there we were not turned away and we were served with a smile.

The staff at the hotel can't do enough for you... they are warm friendly and exceptionally attentive just at the right times. The open doors for you, will carry your bags for you, will even press the button for the lift for you! .. nothing is too much trouble. I rang room service for a pair of scissors to cut a plaster and they were at my door within minutes. I rang for extra coffee and again they were there quickly with several sachets. We became quite high maintenance guests especially with what happened next...

We had one night of horror where we left our video camera in the back of the taxi on the way to a restaurant. It was too late to catch the taxi so we continued to the restaurant. We asked the manager of the restaurant what we should do and he phoned a general public transport lost and found phone line where we were given a reference number and told it could take two weeks for a response. As we were only there for a week this was not good news to us.
We were asked if we had a receipt from the taxi driver or if we had noted the taxi number... neither of which we had... like I said earlier they have over 5,000 taxis in the city! Having the receipt would have given all the details of the trip including the car number as its electronically printed by a little machine inside the car. So always get one!!!! All the taxis look the same and have the same phone number on them but there are several separate firms ... the roof colour denotes the actual firm.
When we returned to the hotel we informed the concierge what had happened. They got in touch with security to look at the CCTV camera outside the hotel to see if they could pick up the cab number. Unfortunately it wasn't clear but the colour of the roof indicated which taxi firm out of many had been used. I rang the lost and found and gave them the further information.
The next morning we still had no joy so I asked the concierge if they could find a direct number for the taxi firm. They rang the taxi firm on our behalf in front of me but nothing had turned up. They gave me the number so I could phone myself later in the day. Amazingly I rang again about 10pm when we had got back from an organised trip... the camera had turned up and I could go and collect it from the taxi office.

During all this time the main lost and found had not got back in touch at all and when we went to collect the camera the taxi firm owner checked his system and said they hadn't even enquired with the taxi company even after we told them which firm it was... no wonder it might have taken them two weeks!

If it had not been for the hotels assistance with the security tape and the direct phone numbers we would have been coming home without it! They did everything they could to help us.

On the top floor of the hotel there is a pool and gym. We did not get around to using it as we were too busy seeing the sights of Dubai.. but we had a look. Its a medium sized basic pool. But it looked clean, they provide towels and there are sunbeds to lie on. We checked out at 12 noon but our flight wasn't until 2am the following morning. The hotel looked after our cases and allowed us to use the swimming pool changing rooms to refresh ourselves before our journey. The changing rooms were also very clean with power showers like the ones in the room. Shampoo and conditioner is available, they provided clean towels and there is a hairdryer.

There is a bar area on the ground floor but this is only open in the evening. There were a couple of days where is would have been nice to have an afternoon beer/wine on our return to the hotel. I would ask that they consider opening it a little earlier. However, until then Longs Bar under the Rotunda just across the road is open in the afternoon.
The hotel bar does have a wide variety of sprits and some bottled and draught beers. On one night the ladies even got 3 free house drinks!!! :-) There is also a lounge singer with a piano on occasion who has a nice voice. The décor was a little dated for my taste (90's low light cocktail bar) but everyone likes different things and you cant please everyone when it comes to things like that. Most importantly the service was quick and efficient and they served to your table if you wished.

Overall we would recommend this hotel to anyone not just for being a lovely hotel in perfect location but that they seemed to care and wanted you to have the best experience they could provide. And especially we give our thanks to the wonderful guys at concierge for their help in locating our camera.

General on Dubai

You will only find bars in hotels all the restaurants on the main roads and by the malls are alcohol free. By the Burj Khalifa you will find alcohol in the restaurants attached to the souk on the opposite side of the fountain to the Dubai Mall. I think this is because there is a hotel attached to the souk.

There is a souk by the Burj al Arab near the Marina that also has restaurants with alcohol. There is even a Belgium Beer café there. This souk is by a river and has views of the Burj Al Arab and is very beautiful and a relaxing area to sit. There are also boats you can get a ride on. Near the Burj Al Arab is the 360 degree bar... sadly we didn't make it this time but we understand its named so because of its 360 degree views.

WINE IS EXPENSIVE EVERYWHERE !!!!! Ridiculously so!

The Creek and the spice and gold souks are the place to go if you want cheap but very good fake bags watches shoes etc. Don't be alarmed and being taken down some alley to a little door in the wall.... this is standard and they are not overly pushy ( just a little bit cheeky! lol) This is the place to haggle and if you are not happy with the price just walk away ... more often than not they will come after you and accept your price.

Most of the time I wore jeans and T-shirt (well it was December so not too hot) and in the mall I was fine in a sundress. However, the creek is male dominated and an older part of town much more traditional and respect should be given in this area to clothing for females. I ended up buying a shawl to cover my cleavage! lol Despite this I have never in my life felt more safe in a strange new city.

Oddly in complete contrast to they above and slightly ironic... in most of the hotel bars you will find prostitutes. They behave how can I put it 'respectfully in that they are not indiscreet and not overly obvious' and in a busy bar you might not even notice them but in a quiet bar being chatted up by men and disappearing one by one you can easily spot them if you are there long enough . This appears to be acceptable and I did not notice any hotel trying to get rid of them... however, as a result there were none on the streets and interestingly no homeless or beggars that I came across. It is a very clean city with fines for littering so beware!

Dubai has a lot to see and do including trips out to the desert which can be organised by the hotel.

Dubai is a fabulous mix of east meets west, old and new and is breath taking and should be on everyones bucket list!

Room Tip: For a good room just ask for one high up the views are wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jojedi
Prateek_Kumar, General Manager at Dusit Thani Dubai, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Jojedi,

As the saying goes - 'if there's a will, there's a way". That is most probably the commonly shared trait of our employees here in Dusit Thani Dubai. Trust that we always aim to run the extra mile to serve our guests better.

Thank you once again for choosing us as your home in Dubai. WE look forward to welcome you back again soon. On behalf of the entire team, here's wishing you both a magical season and a truly blessed New Year!

Prateek Kumar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff, clean and spacious accommodation, from breakfast to dinner plus snacks in the lounge 24 hours service, very central location. The special package deal even included a bottle of champagne and a welcome cake.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Brigitte B,
Thank you for sharing your feedback in TripAdvisor about your recent stay in Dusit Thani Dubai. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. It would be our true pleasure to welcome you back soon on your next business trip to Dubai.

On behalf of Dusit Thani Dubai, we wish you a truly wonderful New Year!

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

I booked the Dusit Thani after reading many positive reviews on tripadvisor, hence I thought it would be appropriate for me to write a review for other would be travellers.

Location-
The hotel is situated in an ideal spot on the well known Sheikh Zayed Road. It is about a 5 minute walk from the Dubai metro (will discuss later). The hotel is about 3-5 minutes away from the Dubai mall & Burj Khalifah. A 5-10 minute walk from the Hotel will bring you to the part of this road full of restaurants and fast food chains such as McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Nandos, pizza Hut, Wagamama and many more restaurants and supermarkets.
There is also a Mosque on the opposite side which is a 10minute walk from the hotel behind the shops etc, this may be useful for any Muslim travellers.
To get to the opposite side of the road who have to cross via the metro bridge.
Over all the location is ideal as you are close to the metro, have 24hr fastfood, restaurants & supermarkets nearby, dubai mall, Burj Khalifah, Dubai creek, the souks & Markets all being nearby. The jumeirah beach area is about 15-20 mins max by cab.

Hotel -
The hotel is a 36 floor twin glass towers which is very well designed and situated.
I had booked the club room which was on the 35th floor with breath taking views including that of the Burj Khalifah which was opposite my Window.

The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis, no issues around hygiene. Shower was a very large cubicle with a separate bath tub. The bath tub having folding windows which open out into the bedroom overlooking the beds.

The room was equipped well including cofee maker, fridge, desk, chairs, iron and board & hair dryer.

The club room included hotel pick up and drop off, breakfast and access to the club lounge for only club guests with complimentary drinks and snacks all day/evening. The breakfast was great with a very large selection etc.

The hotel also has a swimming pool on the top floor with a fully equipped gym.

Staff & Service
The staff & service in this hotel is what really makes it a 5★. It is absolutely next to none, the staff are very friendly, polite and always smiling with a will do attitude. On arrival my luggage went missing & I came out about an hour late of the hotel, however the chauffeur was still waiting with complimentary snacks and drinks in the car.

Throughout my stay members of the team consistently helped including giving me tips to save money, advice on local transport and where to take my family.

I arrived with my wife and two sons, both being under 6. The staff were very friendly towards my family especially Val, the gentleman who works at the concierge. He really made my families stay special by attending to our every needs, discussing our day and giving friendly and professional advise. Val really was the icing on the cake, without his service and care my stay at the hotel would have beem good, but due to his extra touches such as saving me money by getting me a bigger transport to the airport (I had 6 luggages) instead of hiring two taxis, phoning my room to ensure if I needed anything, my children and my wife too really took a liking, overall he was a top guy! If you come to this hotel, approach him and I am confident all your needs will be addressed and you're stay will be very smooth.

Another gentlemen by the name of Yongy who works at reception/concierge was also very helpful ans always made my children smile. He even gave me discount vouchers for the local dolphin show- I saved 80 dirhams! Thanks.

Brilliant hotel

Great staff

Excellent location

Family friendly

Thank you team Dusit - Especially Val

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear iamthemann,

Amazing how you have summed up your experience during your family's stay in Dusit Thani Dubai. We are grateful beyond words especially to guests such as yourself who appreciate the extra mile our team extends to make your stay more memorable.

Val would be delighted to know of how highly you spoke of him here in TripAdvisor. Many thanks once again for choosing us as your preferred home here in Dubai. It would be our joy to welcome you, your spouse and your two kids back again.

Wishing your family a blessed and truly wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My wife and I stayed for 1 week at Dusit Thani. Perfect location for all kind of tours. Near Burj Khalifa (viewable from our room) A little noisy as directly located at Sheikh Zayed Road and subway (just picked this as I could not find anything else to clomlain) At 'PAX' Restaurant you have to try the 'Octopus Carpaccio' and do not miss the cakes and icecream at 'Deli'. Special thanks to Mr. Kareem and Mr. Ishaq for their help and assistance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear CHT88,

Kareem and Ishaq extend their gratefulness for your appreciation of their assistance during your recent stay with us here at Dusit Thani Dubai. It has been our joy being of service to you and your spouse.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again. On behalf of Dusit Thani Dubai, may you both have a wonderful 2014!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at Dusit Thani for six nights in Nov 2013 and really enjoyed our stay. There was always a staff member available with an eager to please attitude. The deli on the ground floor was very convnenient to grab something on the go or for a quick sit down meal and very reasonable. it has a convenient location to Burj Khalifa,some restaurants, metro station, and Starbucks within a 10 min walk. We also took advantage of the rooftop pool with sweeping views of the city and wonderful service from the outdoor bar. The conciege staff was EXCELLENT. Mr Arnie scored a lunch reservation for us at Burj Al Arab and Mr Loan scored one at NEOS at The Address. Both experiences were over the top with opulence and service. The staff really made the difference in our overall vacation experience in Dubai. We can't thank them enough.

Room Tip: We were on the 32nd floor and never heard a peep from any other room. The mattress was a bit hard...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear melissa816512,

We always aim to exceed our guests' expectations. We are truly happy to know that you and your spouse were pleased beyond compare during your recent stay in Dusit Thani Dubai.

It would be our joy to welcome you both back again real soon. May you have a wonderful celebration this Yuletide and a prosperous 2014, too!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I travel on business in many parts of the world and this hotel is one of my favourites. Upon arrival late at night I was made to feel most welcome. My suite was excellent and very comfortable with a large reception room and kitchen as well as a really comfortable bedroom.
Although this hotel is one of the older ones in Dubai it has been well looked after and is extremely clean.

Staff are polite and friendly as well as being eager to please. From time to time live Thai music is played in the foyer.

The views of the great City of Dubai are excellent especially from the high level restaurants on 24th floor. There was a wide variety of food in the Californian restaurant to suit all tastes in the restaurant and it was extremely well prepared and cooked.

It is situated very close to the Dubai Mall and the Burj Khalifa. Although these are in theory within walking distance, pavements are few. Taxis take a while to get there due to the traffic congestion at times and the road system. I tried using the Metro-the station is nearby- and this is an interesting and enjoyable alternative. The stations and trains are new, clean and fully air conditioned.

Overall this hotel is well situated, very comfortable and delivers what it promises.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ian_from_UK,

It has been our pleasure serving you in your recent stay with us here in Dusit Thani Dubai. We look forward to welcome you back.

On behalf of the entire Dusit Thani Dubai team, we wish you and your family a wonderful 2014.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I travel to Dubai regularly on business, and have stayed in various hotels, but my last visit I choose Dusit Thani, and I was so glad that I did. The Hotel staff are excellent, and always please to help. Mr room was spacious, it had a good work station with plenty of power points for phones, laptop and iPad. Separate Shower cubicle and bath. Nice large TV. It is 5 minutes walk from the Metro. I would highly recommend the Dusit Thani to anyone travelling to Dubai. I look forward to stopping there in the near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Steve B,

It gives us joy knowing you have enjoyed your stay with us. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next business trip to Dubai.

On behalf of Dusit Thani Dubai, we wish you and your loved ones a more prosperous 2014!