“Great hotel and good location. Helpful staff too.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Deira

Residence Deira
Ranked #374 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Peoria, Illinois
“Great hotel and good location. Helpful staff too.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights over Christmas 2009. The hotel is a great budget find: clean, comfortable rooms, friendly staff, and a great location (1 block from metro station). The staff were very helpful in trying to locate my lost luggage; they called the airport several times a day to assist me. I would definetly return, especially for an extend-type stay.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FLA_expat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lecco, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

We stayed 2 nights in this hotel as a stopover on our way to Thailand. The room was simple, clean and very spacious. Location was very good, within walking distance to the Creek and a few steps from a recently opened subway station, which can be used to reach most of the main sites in the city as well as the airport. Probably one of the best mid-range hotels in the area. Free wi-fi would have been a plus, but we found an inexpensive cyber café in the vicinities. Would definitely recommend the place!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LeMeridienDubai, Manager at Residence Deira, responded to this review, 6 January 2010
Dear CarlosPinto,

Greetings from Residence Deira by Le Méridien.

We are glad that you had a pleasant 2 nights stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again.

With kind regards,
Residence Deira by Le Méridien
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2009

I already have family based in the Emirates- hence a place to stay.
Despite this, I thought of trying out a hotel in Dubai at a reasonable cost. I managed to book my hotel stay on lastminute.com at a very reasonable price that you will definitely not get as a local in the Emirates. Strategic location, very friendly staff. The only negative point, but a very crucial one I can think of, is that there is NO internet connection! I did not find the location difficult to get to.
If your taxi driver cannot find the location he's definitely trying to keep you longer in the car to possibly charge you more. Tell him to drop you off at the building with an advertisement of "TITAN watches", in addition to the hotel address.
The entrance is on the side of the building adjacent to it.
I will come definitely book another stay in this hotel in the near future.
p.s. Don't forget to request a coupon from the reception to gain access to the gym at the meridean hotel branch next to the airport. It's worth the visit. Hope you enjoy your stay in the Emirates. :)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank DrDeeb
miami, fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2009

We had booked an apartment here for three nights, had to travel one day earlier, called the hotel to book the extra night the day we began traveling. The receptionist told me to book online to get the cheaper rate. I was at an airport without a computer, and this threw me for a loop. After thinking about it for awhile, I realized that LeMeridien is part of the Starwood group. So I called their 800 number in the States, booked at a great rate. We were lucky enough to be assigned a one bedroom apartment overlooking the water and the Radisson Blu -- fantastic! Had a newspaper hanging on our doorknob each morning, have NO COMPLAINTS! Loved being close to a market, loved the kitchen, nice tv choices, clean, quiet, cool, LOCATED fantastically well if you want to mix with the local culture and be close to the metro, which can whisk you to the Mall of the Emirates in no time, then you can take a taxi to Jumeirah Beach if you wish, or wherever. Very reasonable, no frills, plain lobby -- we were ther 4 nights -- and very satisfied.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2009

Apparently the Meridien chain bought just a cheap flat hotel in Deira and put their name on it. Because this hotel is nowhere close to the level of a Meridien. The apartments are nice, clean, the building was apparently renovated, kitchen is fitted with pans, cutlery, a small fridge and cooker. Your dishes are washed every day by the staff. Service, therefore is quite good.
(Just make sure you DO hand a do not disturb notice, or you risk being woken up at 9 am, to be asked if you want an issue of the English language local "The Gulf News" paper. Definitely not nice, considering you stayed out until 5 am. And make sure you DO hand a clean my bedroom notice, or they won't)
Apparently, most reasonably priced hotels in Dubai are in Deira. The problem with Deira is that when you want to be in Jumeirah almost every day, the 10 eur taxi ride start to hurt after the 3rd day. You can also walk to the brand new metro, but that means crossing the creek by boat under 30+ degrees and walk another 15 or so minutes to the station. This problem will be overcome soon, when the stations across the creek open, sometime in 2010.
Back to the hotel, there is no Wifi, just one PC at reception where you can surf the net for an expensive rate, or walk one block to the next internet café. No swimming pool, although you are allowed to use the one at the main Meridien near the airport. But if you need to jump on a taxi, why not go straight to the beach?

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel apartment for two nights during the holy month of Ramadan. Reading the TripAdvisor reviews for this hotel definitely helped in locating the hotel and finding nearby amenities, so I hope to contribute back to the community with my review.
The front entrance of the hotel is not visible until after you turn off Al Maktoum Road. From Al Maktoum Road, what you can use as placemarks are the Orlando Sports and the Bank Saderat Iran.

Service was friendly and helpful. Since I had a prepaid Travelocity reservation, I did not need to present my credit card at check-in. I snagged a great deal on the studio room with two single beds, but since I was traveling alone, the person at check-in offered to send someone up to join the two single beds and put a full-sized sheet over them. There was no welcome fruit basket though.

The room was spacious and clean. The apartment-like amenities such as the kitchen (with refrigerator and oven), cutlery and flatware really came in handy during Ramadan, as most restaurants are closed during the day, and you are not supposed to eat or drink in public during daylight. I was able to purchase groceries from the nearby 24-hour grocery store mentioned by other reviewers (Choithram) and prepare my own meals. Unlike another reviewer’s experience, my room did have a kettle. The central AC was very powerful, as I didn’t use the room AC at all even though it was stiflingly hot outside in the Dubai summer.

Location-wise, the hotel is in a convenient location. I walked everywhere throughout my trip, and didn’t need to take a cab. The newly opened Union Square Dubai Metro station is right next to the hotel, and there are plenty of shops within walking distance. I arrived just a few days after the Metro opening, and fortunately, the Union Square station was one of the ten stations that were ready for the launch date. The Dubai Creek is also nearby, from where I took the hour-long Guided Creek Tour (recommended) and then boarded an abra to cross the Creek.

Overall, I would stay here again. The biggest advantages for me are the kitchen + grocery store, and the Metro station next door.

To assist others, I made a Google Map with the exact location of the hotel and some nearby amenities here:

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank cmjl
LeMeridienDubai, Manager at Residence Deira, responded to this review, 7 November 2009
Dear Guest,

We at Residence Deira by Le Méridien would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the hotel.

We are delighted that your experience was an enjoyable one and look forward to welcoming you again.

With kind regards,
Residence Deira by Le Méridien
Buckinghamshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

The service is terrible. I have stayed in this hotel for many years but after an absence of 2 years I came back here thinking i would get the same excellent service as before.

Not this time..

The front office staff are always on the internet which is located in the lobby.
One in particular, a Filipino male "J", stands at the door and when he sees me and my family coming – disappears so he doesn’t have to open the door for us.
We had a lot of problems in the room in the first day. No cooking pots, electricity breaking down – eventually ‘J’ came and had such a bad attitude that I almost left that same day.
The cleaners don’t clean the room. Dirty bed sheets – I witnessed this as a cleaner removed one and replaced with another dirty bedsheet.
They do not clean the dishes. I have photographic evidence of this.

When the previous managers mr S & mr. M were there, there were staff opening doors, holding bags and arranging taxis for us. Certainly not the case anymore.

Each time I phone the front desk, the woman answers with a bored YES Maam. These people are not interested in being here. I have brought a lot of custom (british people) to this hotel you can just ask Mr. R who works there but unfortunately was on holiday when we were there.

I wont be bringing anyone here anymore and will tell everyone how rubbish this hotel is.
The attitude of these individuals who work there is disgusting.

dont stay here - its overpriced and offers a poor service.

• Stayed September 2009