“Review of Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, Dubai”

Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Review of Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, Dubai”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've never written a review before, but after visiting this place I was compelled to share my thoughts.

Well well well, what can I say and where to begin? This place really is something else, simply put the staff here are awesome! There is nothing they will not do, to ensure your stay with them is truly a memorable experience and what's extra special is that they give off a genuine synergy, where every single member of staff we encountered was a "happy-chappy!" and will go out of the way to tend to your needs. I've not stayed at the Burj Al Arab (the famous 7 star), though for my next holiday I'm planning to merge a trip between this place (continue reading below to know why) and possibly the Burj, but it's gonna be interesting to compare the service, because I think this place should be acknowledged for having a 7 star service (note I'm not making reference necessarily to any other aspect, besides the service) because what constitutes "7 star, compared to "5 star"!? Anyway, kudos to the management for creating what I can only presume to be a training programme which emphasizes exceptional customer service and animating a memorable lifetime experience!

Being strict adhering vegetarians, I was unsure whether they would have the time to cater to our needs in the way we needed (we went half board by the way), what with hotels and resorts being so busy, and after visiting other hotels around the world I was left a bit skeptical - I needn't have worried, these guys not only met but, exceeded our expectations; cooking us virtually anything we could fathom!

We must give a shout out to some individuals who made this holiday extra special for me and my husband, Dejan, plus his team of well accomplished chef's namely: Vincent, Simon, Sunder and a few others whose names now escape me (also we must especially mention John...this guy was fabulous at accommodating our every gourmet need!)

I wont repeat what most other reviewers have said, except a few things which weren't covered in any reviews prior to our visit. It will cost exactly 100 AED to get a private taxi from the airport to the resort (these are all the same looking Toyota cars, except they have different colored hoods), that said on the last day it cost us the exact same price for a private hotel car (these are, from what I saw, always the Lexus cars and basically do the same thing as the standard taxis..except they are a bit more plush)

There is a spa and a gym which is on the other side of the main building, which I don't think many people know about, either that or it's not used very much - but its lovely. It comes as part of the price of the hotel booking, but it's seriously something I would pay for (it has a series of Hammam pools (the ones that go from hot to uber cold), jacuzzi, sauna and steam room). The gym is also pretty funky and kitted out with everything you need for a workout (dont forget your trainers if you plan on going the gym, as they have a rule about wearing trainers therein).

The grounds at the hotel are quite substantial, when you consider how populated Dubai is becoming and the price of real estate. It has 3 pools and a lovely green lawn split into sections, plus direct access to a private beach overlooking the sea and the eastern crescent of The Palm (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray can be seen not very clearly, although Atlantis is quite visible at night when it's lit up).

We had a family room, which I must say was very large, with it's own walk in wardrobe and two..yes two balconies - the longest I've ever seen. Our room was on the 6th floor and overlooked the city as opposed to the sea, which I kind of regretted because a lot of people say the sea view is better, but having caught a glimpse of the sea view, as beautiful as it is, I thought to myself that must get pretty boring after a few days. With the city view you will see the creation of Dubai unfold, with construction work taking place all around and a rainbow of cars below to view. Staying on the 6th floor we didn't have any issues with construction noise, though I know others have commented on that. The best thing about the balcony was that you are able to sit on it ALL day and I mean anytime, without the fear of spontaneously combusting in that killer heat (we went second week of June) because you get a lovely breeze (which I can only presume is a sea breeze because the tower blocks all around make it virtually impossible for wind to come through), either that or because we were so high up.

Food reviews have already been mentioned elsewhere, so I wont delve too much into that, suffice to say my compliments to all those chefs and cooks that went beyond preparing just meals..but pieces of art - simply sublime! Going half board means you get your breakfast and either lunch or dinner, which is hand in case you want to go out in the evening and not worry about making it back before any cut off times (these guys must have a back door directly into the rest of the world because they will seemingly cook you up ANYTHING you want..that's if its not already available!) We ate at Ossigeno every morning, but I understand most guests will eat at the Brasserie (as we didn't eat there for breakfast I cant comment on the outlay of food). The deal with half board is that you can switch your meals between lunch or dinner and either go for the buffets or a la carte (in which case you get a credit of roughly £25 to spend per person); one thing worth noting here is that drinks are never included (unless in the buffet i.e fruit juices, tea, coffee) and so these will sting you (£5 for a bottle of water..not sure about the booze because we are teetotal, though I reckon from what I've heard its pricey throughout Dubai); but to be honest you really don't mind because of the class and quality of food you get, backed up by solid dedicated service. They have 9 restaurants as mentioned by others (I think you can check out their reviews elsewhere here on Tripadvisor) of which we went to 5 (Pizzeria, Al Khaima (Lebanese), Maya (Mexican), Brasserie and Ossigeno), I must admit the Pizzeria was our favorite - delicious gourmet pizzas! NB: a big shout out to Harmeet Singh from the Pizzeria, seriously good food my good man! You can also travel and eat at their sister hotel Grosvenor (just down the road), however we didn't feel the need to because the range and quality here was impeccable, and would have been tough to beat by our standards.

The decor is unusual at this place, it is as some people have noticed somewhat dated, but does not feel "old"; I guess that's because when you compare it with all the pizzazz of Dubai these days it's set apart - however I reiterate that the service will make up for this and possibly any other shortcomings of the building and its fabric.

There's a free mini-kart/buggy service which is pretty neat, it takes you from the hotel to the beach and vice-versa, as well as around the hotel grounds. There's also a free shuttle bus which takes you to the Mall of Emirates and back to the hotel, we tried it just to try and alternative form of transport (besides the taxis, you aint walking very far in that heat!).

In conclusion, we will definitely return to this place. The hotel management has managed to (by design or unbeknown to them) create a model atmosphere, where, by the second day you totally feel home-from-home and by the last day you get sad you're leaving :( So because of that homely vibe (plus the super-duper service) they will attract new and existing clients to this resort year on year and continue to enjoy exceptional results and success; despite the fierce new lavish and glitzy competing hotels and resorts growing out of Dubai today.

The only thing I would suggest to management in terms of improving things (more so refining), is to reduce the paper "waste"
i.e letter confirmations slipped under the door for each restaurant reservation and also extend the "green towel service" beyond a couple of days (the hotel has an incentive system, whereby you are given a credit of 22AED (approx £4), should you not require towel changes every day because although we stayed for a week, the stack of towels (plus reserves) left on the first day are more than sufficient; whether you incentify or not I would opt for this; to reduce carbon footprint and all that (especially needed in Dubai I would say!) Wi-fi is also rather choppy and largely dependent on where about the area you are (it's a large resort and has multiple wi-fi zones dedicated to each area, hence signal strength is relative to distance from wi-fi hotspot). Also rather than so many small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc; consider refilling glass bottles (that much plastic, times by the number of guest, times number of rooms, equals a lot of plastic (though I should mention, I know no hotel that I know of really does this, so its a suggestion to the industry and not specifically this hotel). Finally, the free water and fresh fruit every day is a lovely touch (though dont be so generous, the first bowl we had on the first day lasted us the entire stay and beyond and as for the bottles water, larger bottles mean less plastic!)

Get booking and let these guys take care of the rest! :)

Room Tip: Read other reviews to choose best room view (city or sea), although both are stunning!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kaur1984
GHLRM, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor following your recent holiday with your family at Le Royal Meridien.

It has been a pleasure to read your thoughtful feedback and really glad to hear that you all thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the hotel and in particular were overwhelmed by the service of our associates, who exceeded your expectation catering to your requirements especially in the restaurants.

We are glad that you were also able to experience most of our Food and Beverage venues in the resort and found them to be of good choice and high quality.

Your constructive comment and suggestions are also noted and will ensure are reviewed accordingly.

Please may I mention that your kind and appreciative words has been shared with those particularly mentioned and also the rest of the team. As you have presumed, customer care is indeed amongst our highest training priorities and it is always rewarding to receive such commend.

Once again, please do accept our sincere thanks for your encouraging review and also for your valuable time. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guests again soon.

Pam Wilby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,341)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a ten night stay having stayed previously and at Grosvenor House,overall a great experience,as other guests have stated the hotel is going though a period of refurbishment as I expect this is one of the older hotels,having said that the staff are excellent and attentive,or only disappointment was the the Brasserie always seem to be queues for breakfast tables and although the food was excellent on the two occasions we dined in the evening we in and out in no time,will return thank you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GHLRM, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to know that you had once again chosen to stay at Le Royal Meridien and glad that you had an enjoyable holiday with us.

I have taken note of your comment regarding our breakfast venue and whilst I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused, please may I mention that due to the summer weather as many guests opt not to dine in the terrace, we did experience a volume in the main dining area at times.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

uk
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Just returned from a nine night stay.Do not waste any time looking for another hotel.Food,staff,room,very good.One bad point,pint of beer 44 drms,or on our money,£7+
should be no more than 30 drms,a real rip off.

Room Tip: Pick a room with sea view and balcony.Do not have room with connecting door.as it is not sound proof...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank calliguk
GHLRM, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your holiday at Le Royal Meridien.

We are pleased that you had enjoyed your stay at the resort and glad that you were delighted with the service of our associates as well as the food we have on offer.

I have noted your comment regarding the beverage and would like to assure you that we continuously benchmark all of our pricing throughout the year to ensure that we are in line with other similar five star establishments within Dubai.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Westbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Only just getting around to this review, we were upgraded immediately upon arrival to a tower room which was absolutely beautiful, plush with lovely amenities and treats, however at the time (October) there was a lot of building works directly opposite our upgraded room and they used to start up at around 6am with lot's of noise so we asked to be moved. They eventually (after 2 days) did move us, downgraded us to a room in the older building which was more shabby and did not feel like a 5 star hotel room but did have a balcony and amazing sea views and was peaceful so we were happy!

The hotel is beautiful and the general staff (apart from the management with regards to the room issue) could not do enough for you. The pools looked beautiful but we personally prefer to sit on the beach and swim in the sea which was absolutely lovely. The beach attendants were amazing and would help you find a sun lounger and bring you cold towels etc. There are lot's of wonderful restaurants at this hotel but our absolute favourites were Rhodes Twenty10 and Al Khaima - Arabic cuisine with sheesha pipes to top it off. We really loved this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine P
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Whilst we are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us, we have also well noted your comments with regards to the shortfalls encountered.

I would like to assure you that guest feedback is of immense value to us which enables us to continually review and improve our product and facilities and do thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable thoughts.

On a positive note, we are delighted that you were pleased with the service of our associates, the hotel facilities as well as the restaurants we have on offer.

We look forward to welcome you back as our guests once again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We have recently returned from a 6 night stay as a family of three. The service at Le Royal Meridien is in a class of it's own. The hotel and resort are absolutely stunning - a choice of three different swimming pools, lush gardens to walk through, plenty of seating, and a lovely beach area.

On arrival, we received fresh mint tea while we waited to be checked in. We had booked a 'Triple' room for our stay but unfortunately learnt that this meant two beds and an extra 'roll in' smaller bed. This would be fine for families with a small child, but as young adults it meant one of us was getting the short straw. If you are in a similar situation I would recommend booking a family room. Apparently this is the case for many hotels in Dubai and your booking agent should point it out to you (ours did not.) I would like to give a special thanks to the staff at reception who were really helpful and did everything they could to ensure we had a more comfortable stay. We were upgraded us to a lovely family room a few nights later with three big beds, three seats on the balcony... etc.

If you can book half board, I would highly recommend it. The buffet breakfast and dinner at the Brasserie is excellent, the chefs cook a selection of dishes in front of you, always to perfection. Although you can use the half board with set menu or vouchers at a selection of other restaurants on the complex, we found that we kept returning to the Brasserie (even when we planned not to!) - there is enough variety to try something different every day and the desert selection is really good. I would also like to mention Paul in the Brasserie, who is a fantastic host - always a cheerful welcome!

To summarise, you will find many great hotels in Dubai, but it is the staff at Le Royal Meridien that set it apart, from the reception/lobby to the pool/beach area, and of course for housekeeping we would also like to mention Basheer. We really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jevan B
GHLRM, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.

It has been a pleasure reading your review and glad that you and your family had an enjoyable holiday at the resort and that all our associates made you feel welcome and at ease throughout your stay.

We are also delighted to know that you were particularly pleased with the facilities available at the hotel and enjoyed your dining experience in Brasserie. Thank you for the very detailed feedback. It is always rewarding to know that our guests had a pleasant stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your return to Le Royal Meridien on your next visit to Dubai.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is highly recommended. it is a five-star hotel, so you will pay for it. Having said that, you will get value for your money. i stayed for four days, three nights. At arrival, I was upgraded to a tower with higher class rooms, all newly renovated. The room, with a living room, was first class. The service was just oustanding. You get a complimentary champagne bottle, and during they day you get complimentary refreshments and delicious sweets. Breakfast was very good, although more variety would help. In my case, breakfast was included. But if you have to pay for it (it is very expensive), I would skeep it and try somewhere else.

The swimming pools are very nice, and also the beach (right next to the hotel).

In sum, if you can afford it, go for it. If you would like to spend less than half the price and still go to an excellent hotel, I suggest the Traders Hotel (four stars).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
GHLRM, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for writing your review on Trip Advisor.

It is nice to note that you were particularly pleased with the service of our associates as well as the facilities we have on offer and greatly appreciate all your kind comments.

Thank you for recommending us on Trip Advisor and we very much look forward to welcoming you back as our guests in the not too distant future

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We were upgraded on arrival - no balcony but that didnt distract from the stunning room - huge bed with the most amazing pillows - I was seriously considering leaving all my clothes just to fit these in my case!!!! Service first class from all the staff - facilities in and around the hotel were so good, that we didnt even leave the complex. Fabulous restaurants - highly recommend Gaeles and Gary Rhodes Twenty10. I would recommend that anyone going to Dubai - book Friday Brunch in advance - well worth the experience. I couldnt recommend this hotel more highly - I loved every minute of staying there.

Room Tip: if you want a stunning view and extras - go for the club tower - but any room is of a high standard
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

We sincerely appreciate your kind feedback on each area of the resort, and indeed delighted to read that you enjoyed the facilities and services provided by our team of dedicated members.

Thank you very much for recommending us on Trip Advisor and we welcome the opportunity of extending the same level of hospitality on your next visit to Dubai very soon.