I've just endured a horror 36 hours at the Millennium hotel thanks to Qantas and its total train wreck of an operation (that story is for another time).
So after a cancelled flight and being placed in the Millennium airport by Qantas I have just been exposed to service incompetence of the highest order. Reading through the other reviews I agree that the Millennium airport is clean, the food is of a nice quality, the rooms are nice and comfortable.. But the real X factor with this hotel is the service which ranged from grossly incompetant to bewildering at best.
Im sure this hotel is fine in good times... But if things go wrong the wheels fall off quickly. Admittedly the staff are friendly enough and I believe they mean well... They are just poorly managed.
1) Qantas, not helping matters, schedule our new flight for 8am. Being quite tired I was asleep while that happened so was never aware of this until the 5.30am automatic wakeup call from the Millennium. Fine in theory... But when I call to ask what its about they explain it was for a 8am flight which was just actually rescheduled to 1pm. They didn't turn off their wakeup system! Thus waking me (and many other Qantas refugees) up at an ungodly hour needlessly.
2) To avoid the continuing incompetance of Qantas I arrange to stay another night at the Millennium (looking forward to a decent night's sleep) and organize a new flight the following day with Emirates. Sadly, the staff at the Millennium don't get the memo and proceed to KNOCK ON MY DOOR twice during the night - at midnight and then again at 1am - to ask "if I need anything". In shock I find I cannot return to sleep after the second interruption and call the manager to complain. I'm told that the staff is knocking on doors trying to herd the Qantas refugees as their makeup flights are finally scheduled... But because I'm now on another flight I shouldn't have received the interruption. Not a great apology given that now I was suffering from Millennium induced sleep deprivation and that despite CNNs efforts to lull me back to sleep with their repetitive journalism, I was too wired contemplating the imperfect design on Man to sleep.
3) my doorknob breakfast order went uncollected. When I called room service to ask about this I was grilled about whether I had put the order on the inside or outside of the door, as though it were a complex Rubik-esque challenge requiring a PhD from MIT to complete unaided. Later, when my breakfast arrived (quickly, I should add) I was told that my order was "sighted" by staff at 2am but it wasn't there at 4am at collection time. Either the Millennium airport hotel is in fact HAUNTED by the ghosts of disgruntled guests who never got their poached eggs, OR staff incompetence rides again.
In short my stay at the Millennium ended with me grossly under slept, having hastily scarfed down my breakfast like a diabetic Labrador, and receiving a polite apology from the manager who offered me a free upgrade next time I stayed there. When I pointed out that a slighter bigger bed and a better view wouldn't mean much while I was being tortured by staff he looked at me blankly... Recognising the Millennium for what it really is: Guantanamo Bay with a painted on smile.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located within 2 minutes from Dubai's International Airport (DXB), commercial and shopping areas, the Millennium Airport Hotel is a business class 4 star hotel, offering a rich cultural experience with nearby tourist attractions and historical districts such as Bastakiya, the Gold Souk and the Heritage village. We offer free shuttle services to all 3 of DXB's terminals for arrivals as well as departure. The Millennium Airport Hotel is not just your average airport hotel, offering everything from spacious, modern rooms to a Resort style outdoor pool and an eclectic dining experience with its variety of restaurants & bars. Stay with us to enjoy warm and approachable hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotelopia, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo and Southall Travel so you can book your Millennium Airport Hotel Dubai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Millennium Airport Dubai
- Dubai Millennium Airport Hotel
- Millenium Hotel Dubai