“FAIL-LENNIUM” 1 of 5 bubbles

Millennium Airport Hotel Dubai
Ranked #182 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
“FAIL-LENNIUM”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I've just endured a horror 36 hours at the Millennium hotel thanks to Qantas and its total train wreck of an operation (that story is for another time).

So after a cancelled flight and being placed in the Millennium airport by Qantas I have just been exposed to service incompetence of the highest order. Reading through the other reviews I agree that the Millennium airport is clean, the food is of a nice quality, the rooms are nice and comfortable.. But the real X factor with this hotel is the service which ranged from grossly incompetant to bewildering at best.

Im sure this hotel is fine in good times... But if things go wrong the wheels fall off quickly. Admittedly the staff are friendly enough and I believe they mean well... They are just poorly managed.

Examples:
1) Qantas, not helping matters, schedule our new flight for 8am. Being quite tired I was asleep while that happened so was never aware of this until the 5.30am automatic wakeup call from the Millennium. Fine in theory... But when I call to ask what its about they explain it was for a 8am flight which was just actually rescheduled to 1pm. They didn't turn off their wakeup system! Thus waking me (and many other Qantas refugees) up at an ungodly hour needlessly.

2) To avoid the continuing incompetance of Qantas I arrange to stay another night at the Millennium (looking forward to a decent night's sleep) and organize a new flight the following day with Emirates. Sadly, the staff at the Millennium don't get the memo and proceed to KNOCK ON MY DOOR twice during the night - at midnight and then again at 1am - to ask "if I need anything". In shock I find I cannot return to sleep after the second interruption and call the manager to complain. I'm told that the staff is knocking on doors trying to herd the Qantas refugees as their makeup flights are finally scheduled... But because I'm now on another flight I shouldn't have received the interruption. Not a great apology given that now I was suffering from Millennium induced sleep deprivation and that despite CNNs efforts to lull me back to sleep with their repetitive journalism, I was too wired contemplating the imperfect design on Man to sleep.

3) my doorknob breakfast order went uncollected. When I called room service to ask about this I was grilled about whether I had put the order on the inside or outside of the door, as though it were a complex Rubik-esque challenge requiring a PhD from MIT to complete unaided. Later, when my breakfast arrived (quickly, I should add) I was told that my order was "sighted" by staff at 2am but it wasn't there at 4am at collection time. Either the Millennium airport hotel is in fact HAUNTED by the ghosts of disgruntled guests who never got their poached eggs, OR staff incompetence rides again.

In short my stay at the Millennium ended with me grossly under slept, having hastily scarfed down my breakfast like a diabetic Labrador, and receiving a polite apology from the manager who offered me a free upgrade next time I stayed there. When I pointed out that a slighter bigger bed and a better view wouldn't mean much while I was being tortured by staff he looked at me blankly... Recognising the Millennium for what it really is: Guantanamo Bay with a painted on smile.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ljgillard
Glenn N, Hotel Manager at Millennium Airport Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear ljgillard,

I am sorry to read of your inconvenience resulting from the airline's decision to cancel their flight last minute, and I apologise for my staff questioning you about hanging your door knob menu for breakfast. However, I am very pleased to read that you agree with other travellers that the Hotel is clean, comfortable & the food is of good quality.

Other points, however, I sincerely believe are unfair as the actions my team took were all in good faith and based on the information we had at the time to ensure the displaced Qantas guests were kept informed and able to reach their re-scheduled flight on time.

Example #1 - the wake up calls were set & re-set due to the changing information we were receiving on the expected flight departure. The departure time of the aircraft changed 3 times.
Example #2 - If you had informed us you had booked another flight we would not have needed to knock on your door. We visited each remaining room from the group to follow through on ensuring they all departed on time at the request of the airline.

I was there when the first passengers began to arrive, through until the last ones were roomed and I saw my team working diligently to assist all of the distressed passengers as much as possible. Welcome drinks were given to all on arrival, personal attention extended for those who were ill and priority given to those travelling with an infant.

I am sorry that you felt the hotel was at fault for your disturbances during your stay, and I sincerely believe that we did everything possible to ensure a comfortable stay with efficient service for yourself and those passengers who had their journey disrupted.

Kind regards,
Glenn Nobbs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We are an older couple, returning from our first trip to Australia to visit family. its a gruelling journey, and we were dreading it. However, our overnight at the Millennium Airport Hotel in Dubai really eased the stress of the journey. The hotel was luxurious, the staff were very friendly and helpful, without being fussy. We had a lovely evening meal in their Italian restaurant. We will be staying at this hotel on any future trips.

Room Tip: we were upgraded to a superior room, and we would choose that option next time, the room was large a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carmel D
Glenn N, Hotel Manager at Millennium Airport Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Carmel D,

I'm very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for sharing this.
The Superior rooms are in our new extension, and are about 40sqm, and I am happy you found them so comfortable.

I look forward to you visiting your family in Australia more often so we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back!

Thank you once again for the very kind review.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

After a very long flight from Seattle, we arrived at the hotel around 8:30 pm and found the hotel very nice. We were taken to our rooms after signing up for the 9:30 pm two-hour tour of Dubai. The rooms were very nice, buffets had a good choice of food and service was very good as well. Our tour took us to all the big attractions and stopped for photos along the way. Since it was an overnight layover, our night photos came out ok and we saw the tallest building in the world, Palm Island (they are building two more even larger ones!), the dancing waters and so on. Picked us right in the lobby so made it convenient for jet lagged friends!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elizabeth G
Glenn N, Hotel Manager at Millennium Airport Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Elizwannatravel,

Thank you for your review of our Hotel as well as the tour of Dubai. It's a great city here, and still so much more to see!
Hopefully on your next visit you have more time to relax on the beaches, or spend a few hours meandering along the Creek with the Gold & Spice Souks, and so forth.
We are very lucky to be located within a 10-15min drive of the majority of Dubai's attractions.

Safe Travels,
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here for a one-night stopover after 3 weeks in India in August 2013 and it was a perfect decision. We walked to the hotel from the close-by Metro station in 100 degree heat with our 2 daughters- ages 10 and 12- and it was still no problem because it is so close. The street to get there is quiet with little traffic and nothing to see but still a really easy move. The hotel was real clean and the breakfast was ridiculously extensive- more food than an NFL team could eat in an hour- at least when we were there. Rooms were very nice, modern, updated, wide with plenty of extra room. We had one of the "family rooms" and they charged us the normal basic room rate which was something like 90-110 USD or so. For comparison, on the way to India, we stayed at the Radisson Blu on Dubai Creek- that's a cooler location but the Millennium is a much nicer hotel. I recommend this place if you're stopping over for a night in Dubai. And, I also recommend stopping over in Dubai in general - it's a trippy city with a lot of surprises if you take a few moments and go check out some part of it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AbiAdiMike
Dear AbiAdiMike,

Wow, I am impressed with your memory of a stay from last year! Thank you so much for remembering us and submitting a review on your stay, your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I hope that we will have the good fortune of welcoming you & the family back again in the near future.
Travel tip - come to Dubai between October and May, the weather is amazing.

Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We found the Millenium Airport Hotel an ideal place to break our journey to Africa. Arriving a bit sleepy at Dubai at 6am, we missed the arrivals desk ( on the left just before the taxis ) but were soon shuttled to the hotel. Being pensioners helped as we were allowed to check into our rooms early and to have our free full breakfast immediately. We were pleased that the train station was close by, as this was an easy and effective way to get around and see the sights before retiring to our huge rooms and a good sleep before an early rise for the short, efficient shuttle to the airport. We'll certainly be doing it again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear David L,

Thank you for your review on our property. I am glad to read we were able to make the break in your journey a comfortable and enjoyable one.
The nearby metro is very handy for our guests, as is the Free shuttle to Dubai International Airport Terminals 1,2 & 3, the Beach & Dubai Mall.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again on your way back from Africa!

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Ideal spot to stay if you are doing a brief stop over in Dubai. We had just a 1 night stay as we were flying in at night and out the following afternoon. Huge modern rooms, excellent spacious bathrooms and everything was very clean. Room service food was excellent. The beds were very big and extremely comfortable. For the money I paid, I do not think you will find nicer in Dubai. As for location if you plan on having a holiday in Dubai im not too sure its the best location. The souk, bur duabi and the Dubai mall are a short taxi ride away (15-20 Dirhams approx.) but its the wrong side of town for JBR/JLT, the palm etc. If you are planning on staying around bur Dubai or just have a short stop over I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Because this hotel is used by people travelling on stopovers a lot, people are checking in/out at al...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ian O,

I am really glad to read that you found our beds were too comfortable! Appreciate your review and I do hope we will see you visit for a longer stay on the next trip to Dubai.

Safe Travels,

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Me and two others stayed in the Millennium Airport Hotel Dubai on 26/02/14 for just one night on an overnight transit stop.
I had booked the hotel the week before based on a recommendation from a colleague. Initially I thought the hotel was a bit bland but the rooms were clean and presentable.
We did not eat at the hotel but we made use of the centralised shared facilities, bars etc. which was quite nice even though it was quiet. Perhaps at busier times it would have livelier but there was live entertainment on which was actually quite good.
My only gripe with the hotel is the cost, I think the cost of the rooms is twice what it should be. I would definitely recommend hunting for deals when looking to stay here or look at another hotel on the complex.
Overall satisfactory, just expensive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Pete F,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor, I appreciate your honest feedback about our property and services.
I would like to suggest that if we have the pleasure of accommodating you again in the near future, that you first contact me directly to help identify the most suitable rate plan for you. I can be reached on glenn.nobbs@millenniumhotels.com.