“I've lost count of the number of my visits and I've never been disappointed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai

Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai
Ranked #58 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
London, United Kingdom
“I've lost count of the number of my visits and I've never been disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Nice sized rooms, attentive but not over bearing service, good gym, spa and pool area, what more do you want? Oh and iKandy is a super evening bar concept with live DJ.

This definitely will not be my last stay!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian L
Eric M, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to write a new review.

I am glad that your expectations were met during your stay and that you enjoyed the facilities as well as ikandy our chill-out lounge venue.

Your comments are very important to us and we appreciate you sharing these with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon and if we may be of any assistance for your future stays, please let me know.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights on our way to Thailand from the uk to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We were both thrilled with the quality of the hotel and the attention to detail. All the staff we met were both courteous and helpful in all circumstances. The breakfasts and buffet dining in the ground floor cafe were exceptional. Would certainly stay here again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank Paul B
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our team looked after you.

Your valuable feedback is truly appreciated as it enables us to continuously monitor the level of service and standards at the hotel. I particularly want to thank you for your kind comments about your dining experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again and if there’s anything that would make your future stays more comfortable, please let me know.

Kind Regards

Northern England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I have just spent 6 nights at the Shangri-La Dubai in a Horizon Club room. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the airport, and is situated amongst other hotels along one of the main roads in Dubai. This makes it ideal for business meetings, short stop overs or shopping trips. It is a 5 minute taxi ride to the Dubai Mall, one of the worlds largest malls. The journey costs about £5. Due to its central location you shouldn't expect total peace and tranquility. At the front of the hotel is a main road, and at the rear is a mosque. However the soundproofing in the hotel is fine and neither worried me. Being from the UK, the calls to prayer from the mosque were very middle Eastern and, in a way, very relaxing. The benefit of a room at the rear of the hotel is that you get excellent views over the Indian Ocean. My recommendation would be to try and get a room high up at the back of the hotel (it has 42 floors) for great views and muffled noises from traffic and the city. Don't panic about having to fight for lifts if you are jot one low floor - there are 6 lifts which whisk you swiftly from the ground floor to your room floor and this makes all floors equally accessible.

Rooms are large and well equipped. Mine had a large shower (with both a rain shower type and a more traditional wall mounted type) a sunken bath, separate toilet and bidet. Lots of free toiletries are provided including toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, mouthwash, cotton pads together with top end shower gel, shampoo and hand cream. The main bedroom has very fluffy pillows, high quality sheets and duvet, and one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. There is plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, a huge TV with a decent number of channels including movies and sports, and decent sized desk and chair. Each room comes with free high speed wifi and fixed line internet connection - essential for today's modern traveller.

The Horizon Club is the 'hotel within the hotel' for the Shangri-La group. I have stayed in other Shangri-La hotels and the club here is excellent. It is staffed 24/7 so if you are staying in a club room then on arrival, I recommend you ask the porter to send you straight up to the 41st floor where you can check in sitting down with a drink in your hand! The staff here seem to know every guests name and always made me feel welcome. You can have decent breakfasts in the club from 6am, and there are drinks and nibbles in the evening from 5.30pm. The selection of food is impressive, and the evening nibbles have themes including Chinese, Indian, and Indonesian.

There are a number of restaurants in the hotel. On the ground floor is Dunes which serves high quality buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lunch is around £25 per person and that includes a huge choice of salads, fresh seafood, smoked salmon, tuna, sushi, Indian food, and loads of hot main courses served by the chefs. If you have a sweet tooth, then there is a fabulous selection of cakes, sweets, ice cream, chocolates, plus a chocolate fountain with all sorts of things on sticks to dip in.

On the first floor is a great Chinese restaurant which serves lots of dim sum for lunch, but also has a fantastic menu of Cantonese food. There are other restaurants but I didn't use any of these. They are all listed on the hotel website.

At the rear of the hotel is a pool with space for around 60 guests on loungers, plus additional space on sofas away from the pools. The main pool always had shaded areas for those of us who don't want to look like Judith Chalmers by the time we reach 30. There is a swim up bar in the pool, but the staff don't pester you to buy stuff all the time. Admittedly I stayed during the quiet months of November, and I can imagine the pool area getting busier at other times. However as I mentioned in my introduction the hotel is in the heart of the city. If you are after space, lots of pools, peace and quiet then you are probably better booking into a resort somewhere on the outskirts of Dubai. In the cooler months, the pool turns into a chilled out 'outside bar' from 6pm until 2am. This means you can have a drink and chat to friends under the stars rather than being stuck in an air conditioned bar.

This is without doubt now one of my most favourite hotels in Dubai. All the staff I met were polite but friendly, and service was impeccable. I have tried to look for criticisms to help balance this review out, but I can't really find any. I shall definitely be back here in a few months.

Room Tip: Less traffic noise in rooms higher up and at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank scruffer
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive and comprehensive comments which are warmly received.
We are truly pleased for highlighting our facilities with such detail and your appreciation to our colleagues' interaction.

Your review is very important to us and we value you sharing these with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon and if there’s anything that would make your future stays more comfortable, please let me know.

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Used to stay and normally dreaming about every single stay in Shangri la in Asia, i have to say that i was disapointed with this Hotel! From check in, to the recognition of the golden circle members, this hotel needs and deserves much more training to aim for Shangri la standards?

Room Tip: Higher rooms will benefit with the view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ZeBanaco
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with valuable information about your stay. I would like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you experienced during your time with us.
We value all of the feedback that we receive and I would like to personally look in to your issues. Please contact me on eric.mommejac@shangri-la.com and provide me with further details so that I can try to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.
Thank you once again for bringing this to my attention.

Cuttack, Orissa, india
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

The hotel is very centrally located and in close proximity to the malls and attractions of this remarkable city. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. The rooms we stayed in were rather small for the price but were well appointed. The breakfast service was excellent and the staff were more than happy to take custom orders as well. The pool side area was very nice and relaxing but alcoholic beverages were available only after 12 noon, which was a little weird. The only small hitch was that the front office staff very brusquely turned down our request for a late check out.

Room Tip: Don't forget to try out the French and Vietnamese fusion restaurant!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Eric M, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay experience with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback pertaining to our colleagues service and facilities you have highlighted in your review, it is always great to hear from our valued guests.

As well, I sincerely appreciate for bringing to my attention observations, please contact me on eric.mommejac@shangri-la.com and provide me with further details so that I can try to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Manama, Bahrain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We were 3 persons in a business trip for 3 days. We booked a flat of 3 rooms. This is a very good choice & much better than booking 3 individual rooms .

Service was very good . The only hitch was poor internet connectivity in flat rooms

Location in very convenient & close from major attractions. I will definitely consider for future visits .

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Eric M, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for providing us with valuable information about your stay.

We truly appreciate all of the feedback that we receive as well as the kind words about our colleagues' service. I would like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you experienced with hotel internet connectivity. Rest assured that we take every necessary measure for prompt improvement.

Please contact me on eric.mommejac@shangri-la.com so that we can discuss this in more detail.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed a week in the hotel & it felt like home after a few hours. Everything that could be done to make our stay perfection was. We we especially impressed with how quickly all staff knew our names and that was special.

The room was excellent as was breakfast, lunch & dinner. Poolside was relaxing with a great view of the Burj Khalifi.

Overall a great place to unwind & be pampered.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. One set face the impressive Burj Khalfi & the others the sea. High rooms...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eric M, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a new review. We delighted to hearing that you had a wonderful experience and we do particularly appreciate your good words about our colleagues.