“Overrated, horrible experiece, bad service, and just plainly bad.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai

Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai
Ranked #59 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Vancouver, Canada
“Overrated, horrible experiece, bad service, and just plainly bad.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Let me not overrate my review on saying this is a bad hotel. I am currently staying in the 37th floor in room 19. I am here now and can tell you the hotel are so full of themselves. First of all they had my reservation completely wrong and kept me at the reception for over an hour. The receptionist was very nice but not very helpful. Also they put our rooms at two different floors when we specifically reserved them at the same floor. Also we asked for smoking rooms and kept us at a non-smoking floor. The duty manager is rude and unhelpful as well. Nice rooms but not the best in comparisson to price. Way worse than jumeirah and a number of other hotels. Dont pay a lot and stay here. Waste of money moving out tomorrow.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank aganabat
ShangriLaHotelDubai, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for providing us with valuable information about your stay.

We value all of the feedback we receive and I would like to personally look into your concerns. Please contact me on laurent.bourgeois@shangri-la.com so that we can discuss this in more detail.

Thank you once again for bringing this to my attention.

With kind regards,

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Breakfast and compulsory valet parking and check out are poor , price charged against services given are not fair , there is better choices over there with this rate , shangrila very strong name , they must review they Dubai branch

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

ShangriLaHotelDubai, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your constructive comments. Feedback is very valuable to us and we always strive to improve our performance.

I would like to discuss your comments in person with you and would kindly ask you to contact me on laurent.bourgeois@shangri-la.com

Yours sincerely,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I enjoyed my 3 night stay here very much.
We arrived late at night and were shown straight to our rooms as they could see we were exhausted. We had 2 rooms for 3 people. My dad's room was fine but ours smelled awfully of cigarettes. Obviously this was our fault as we hadn't said non smoking but coming from Australia where you cant smoke in the room was a bit of a shock. We could have moved rooms but we liked where our room was so we put up with it.
The view of the Burj Khalifa was stunning! I definitely recommend getting the Deluxe rooms so you can take advantage of this.
The location of the hotel was really good; we weren't far from anything. We spent our 2 days in Dubai mostly shopping and it was close to the Dubai Mall which is the best shopping centre to be near.
Staff at the hotel were very friendly, always greeting us and knowing us by name which is a good sign of how the hotel is run.
Breakfast was probably the best buffet I have had. The amount of food was amazing and the range was great because it gave me a chance to try things I had never had before. I recommend trying the selection of asian dishes which were nice. Also the french toast, bagels and muffins were exceptional.
Another nice touch was the juice bar. They can pretty much do any juice that you want and they make it fresh right there for you.
We had dinner one night at the Chinese restaurant there and that food was sensational. We ordered lots of things to share and everything got eaten so that's a good sign. Dessert was also great.
I would definitely stay here again. I cannot compliment the staff enough for making the end of an amazing trip such a memorable one

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking if you are not a smoker
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank amy d
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is a five star hotel that puts most others to shame. Excellent position in Dubai and convenient to almost everything. I have lived nearby for over a year now and use the facilities several times a week.
The rooms are excellent, spacious and well presented.
The Spa and Gym are very good with new equipment and whist busy I have rarely had to wait for any of the exercise stations. The pool is excellent and has a fantastic pool bar. Very few places where you can stand in a pool with a drink looking at the Burj Khalifa.
This Hotel boasts some of the best restaurants in the city. Dunes Cafe is buffet style and I have never been disappointed with the selection. The Friday buffet is something you should not miss. There are also Chinese, Vietnamese and Moroccan restaurants all of which have won awards.
Whilst the above is all good, what sets this hotel apart is the staff. They are without doubt the best I have experienced. The service is friendly and personal throughout the hotel. They cannot do enough for you and make you feel like you are a staying in a home from home.
I cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

After reading a few negative comments i contacted the Shangri-La before our stay and received a very swift response from the management putting my mind at rest over our concerns.
Fact, the Dubai Shangri- la is showing signs of ageing and the Horizon Club is smaller than others we have experienced. However that is where the negatives stop.
The staff are some of the best you could ever encounter, polite, informative and generally a credit to the Shangri-La name.
On arrival we were upgraded to a suite on the Horizon floor with the most amazing views you could imagine. Super pools and fitness centre amazing breakfast choice in Dunes.
This is an impeccably run 5 star residence. I hold my hands up i was wrong and Shangri-La you were right .
Fantastic.
Andrew & Jane G

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I always stay at Shangri-Là hotel in Dubai because of its excellent service.
Travelling more than 200 days per year is important to stay in place where I feel at home. The Spa is excellent and stays open till midnight. So I can relax after a long business day. Hope you will have the same pleasure I have when you will visit the next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view of the Burj Khalifa tower. It's a breathtaking view especially at n...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is amazing, the staff is very friendly, the food is ok but when it comes to house keeping it is really awful. The carpets are very dirty, I have dropped something on the floor on purpose to see if it will be cleaned one week passed now and it's still there!!! I had to wash the plate and forks before using. I really felt disgusting I will never check in this hotel again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor.

Constructive feedback is important tous and I am sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

May I ask you to send me an e-mail with your contact details as I would like to discuss your experience in detail with you. Laurent.Bourgeois@shangri-la.com

Yours sincerely,