“Better than most, and far more personal.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai
Ranked #54 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“Better than most, and far more personal.”
Reviewed 25 May 2008

What a nice change to find a small, very personal hotel in the building site known as Dubai.
I thought the place was excellent, very friendly, good service and not too busy even though the place was almost full.
I have stayed at most along the beach including the One and Only resorts, Meridians, Burj and must admit i thought it to be the best.
If you are looking for pure tourist bedlem then dont stay here, but if you want a sun lounger pre-set with towels drinks etc every day set in your favourite place then this is the hotel for you.
The staff could not be faulted, the food excellent and general feel of the hotel very calming and a real touch of class.
Dont get me wrong there is not really a bad hotel along the beach but if you want something a little quieter with a little more quality then this is your place.

• Liked — Quality
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Glen27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
Reviewed 11 May 2008

The Ritz-Carlton Dubai, what can I say, great Nigerian guy at reception, very friendly, extremely helpful and pleasant hostesses Christina at the VIP Club Suite and great cherry tomatoes at their signature restaurant “La Baie”. Everything else was very poor. This is the first time I have ever felt the need to write a hotel review but the comical farce of errors experienced in 24 hours at the Ritz has left me basically with no choice. At USD 700 a night, I expect a lot and I simply did not get it. Let’s begin:

Upon check-in we were ushered up to the VIP Suite where out of date fruit was available. I was asked to sign my check-in bill where the price quoted was USD 1000. I complained that I was quoted a much lower price. It was quickly fixed. From that we went to the spa where inside, there was a notice, drink plenty of water prior to using the steam room / sauna. Good idea I though, let’s get some water. The search began, I looked everywhere and off course there was no water. Finally I asked the Spa attendant and he returned several minutes later with a fairly warm bottle of water. The spa was disappointing, very dated, very small and no chill out sun loungers. There wasn’t room to swing a cat. After an hour, I wandered to the pool, amazing, lush and plenty of palm trees and green soft grass. I started to cheer up, and then went looking for a sun lounger. I could not find any. Finally one appeared and I asked for an additional lounger for my wife and an umbrella to fight of the 40 degrees heat that was baking down. Simple request for a 5 star hotel. It took 30 minutes to get the additional sun lounger and the umbrella comes on the third request. It was not the waiters fault, there was only two in total. Not once did someone come and offer me a drink, bearing in mind the extreme Dubai temperatures. Night-time and it was off the join friends at "La Baie" and to be frank, we were very disappointed with the service that we received.

Upon receipt of our bread basket, we requested olive oil and balsamic vinegar - we were still awaiting this at 11 p.m. despite the waiter assuring us that he would "try to provide this". As an European fusion restaurant, I would assume that this would be readily available.
We were offered a second bread basket (Please note, we did not ask for such). We responded by saying that yes, that would be appreciated - again, we were still waiting such at 11 p.m.!!
The four of us ordered the chef's special - sword fish accompanied by rocket, raspberry and potato cake. Upon arrival, we all enthused about the flavour however were incredibly disappointed with the portion size. We are all very familiar with restaurant dining, however believed this portion to be, quite frankly, on the rather mean side especially considering the price of USD 57. Due to this, we enquired whether it would be possible to have additional potato cakes however were told that as these were a chef's speciality were limited, therefore we were offered the option of rosemary potatoes which we accepted.
Upon receipt of such (we required one portion, however two were delivered to the table and subsequently charged for!!), to our horror, we discovered that they were under cooked. Again, we are very conscious of "al dente" vegetables however this usually applies to green/root vegetables and I have never experienced potatoes cooked in this manner. Frankly, quite impossible to digest.
We had ordered a bottled of Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon to accompany our meal. A member of our party requested a further glass of the same, of which the remaining three also decided to follow suit. Upon tasting, I knew instantly that this was a different wine however the Sommelier insisted that no, it was exactly the same - a Merlot!! We asked to see the wine menu in order to show the gentleman what we had previously ordered, however after requesting the menu on four separate occasions, we continued to wait!! Eventually, it was established that we had been drinking a Cabernet Sauvignon and NOT a Merlot but I do not expect to have to liaise and negotiate with a Sommelier when we are the customers!!
Next morning, it was off to Breakfast. We went into the restaurant and it all looked good. We ordered tea and orange juice, had a read of the newspaper and then went up to get the food from the counters. There was a total of 2 couples there, on the way back down to the table, I was shocked to see that the waitress in her efficiency had totally cleared out table, orange juices, newspapers and teas. We sat down at the same table and re-ordered everything once again.
As you can see from the above points, ours was not a particularly enjoyable experience. We spoke with Jorge Mejia (we think Assistant Manager) to comment upon our grudges however did not receive a satisfactory response. Upon paying the bill, we also spoke to Osama Wannous but no form of recompense was offered.

All in all forget this place, it you want five star in Dubai go to the One & Only or Le Meriden. These are the real 5 star hotels.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michaeldubai
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2008

The service was excellent, on par with other Ritz Carlton hotels. The concierge was friendly and the staff was attentive. The pool was average.

The hotel is a bit out of the way so you need to take a cab everywhere, not walking distance to anything. At the same time, if you stayed anywhere else, you'd still have to take cabs everywhere.

I didn't stay there but we had dinner/drinks at Madinet Jumeriah and the One and Only. They are about the same price as the Ritz and both hotels seemed better.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank Passion4TravelNY
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Lovely hotel with all the regular stuff you'd expect from a 5 Star establishment but nothing extra special as everything in Dubai seems to be done on a hugely commerical scale. Personally, I don;t see the point of travelling all that way for shopping! The malls (albeit fantastic) are unecessary, unless on a holiday, you are a shopaholic handbag freak that gets the shakes when they haven't been to Bluewater for at least 3 days! I couldn't get my head around the fact that I was in Dubai and yet standing in front of M & S with Debenhams & Boots around the corner! weird!!

Although the food was good, the ambience was lacking and we struggled to find other placess to eat that didn't have that 'Disney Feel'. The Spa treatments where outstanding ( and trust me I've been to the best)!

It's not a place that I personally would go back to but that said, if your looking for 'winter sun' and especially if you have kids, then this is a great place for you. Its safe & theres plenty of family based activities but for us it was a bit like a 5 star Butlins (Dubai, not the hotel)!

I wouldn't recommend it for couples that enjoy an ambling holiday of peace & quiet with quaint restaurants and culture - if you want that then hold out until June & go for the South of France or southern Italy...oh and if you don't like Disnleyland or shopping malls then forget dubai in general!

• Liked — Cleanliness & efficiency
  • Disliked — Sterile, disney/5star Butlins...a bit Steptford wives for us!
  • Stayed April 2004, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Roomer1
Vancouver, CA
Reviewed 4 April 2008

We stayed at Mina a Salam for 7 nights before coming here for a final 3 nights. Let's just say that after 1 night we were phoning other hotels to move locations. Not to say that the Ritz isn't nice, but for the money it is nothing compared to the Mina and the staff are not up to par.

We had a problem with our room. It was badly furnished, dirty, noisy, but these issues were easily overlooked.

However the big issue was we had asked for a room with a door between the bedroom and the living area (where our kids would sleep) and stated this was very important (my husband needed to work, we would order in dinner once the kids were asleep ect ) Anyways, the closet style doors with open slats between them were useless. This might not be a problem for most but it was important to us. When we asked politely for an alternate accommodation we were promised 3 times that someone would look into it and get back to us. After no response I left a message with the hotel manager, no reply again. For three days we could not get a reply or a resolution and so we just enjoyed the great pool, beach and weather and made the best of it. And just because my kids were tired from not being able to get to sleep and the fact that my husband had to go inside in the afternoons to get some work done was not going to cloud our holiday .... well maybe just a bit.

The Mina A Salam has a better beach, pool, rooms (by far!), restaurants and SERVICE and at a price of about 20 pounds more a night for a suite.

• Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Noelle V
london
Reviewed 3 April 2008

Our stay from 18/02/08 - 22/02/08 to say a cultural shock after staying in the Madives for 14 days is an understatement - Dubai is a building site and will be the new Benidorm sad to say but true.

Our friends had stayed previously and enjoyed the Residence and Spa 4 years ago (Sept baking hot still a building site!!!) We chose this time The Ritz Carlton and we all thought this was the best choice, we were not interested in staying at any of the large glitzy hotels. The Ritz was just perfect to end our celebration. The Club rooms for us were the best choice, the staff, service and quality of the food and drink was just what we hoped for. Weather was warm/sunny/cloudy chilly one evening.

Pool area for kids and an Adult only pool with jacuzzi, and bubble bed. Bikes delivered beverages to the pool, comp fruit kebabs etc.

On arrival and departure we were treated superbly, nothing was to much trouble. We had a fab time at the races, sit down meal with drinks, panoramic opening doors leading to balcony seats to enjoy the races. It was a superb evening booked by the Ritz and taken by their transport no problems. We also visited the Gold Souks, river taxi for photos, linen Souks and the boys played the Emirates Golf Course. Would we go back to Dubai probably but only if we could stay at the Ritz!!!

• Liked — the club level
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 26 February 2008

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel over the last 4 years. Thought I would point out the pros and cons of Dubai and this hotel.

Pros

Weather is almost guaranteed in Dubai during the winter. Mid Feb was a little chilly in the evening and defintiely take a sweater or pashmina.

No upset tummies

The Ritz Carlton is one of the most comfortable hotels in Dubai. The staff are its greatest assets.

The Ritz Carlton has a Kids Club which is complimentary. Although it would only really be suitable if your children were under the age of 8.

The Club Lounge (free champagne and premimum brand drinks served almost 24 hours a day). You do have to have the drinks in the Club Lounge. No taking them to your sunbed.....

The hotel has a complimentary mini bus to the shopping malls, gold souks etc a couple of times a day.

Taxis are cheap and can take you to say the Royal Mirage Hotel(where all the best restaurants are in my opinion!) for approx £1.50.

The Ritz Carlton gardens and pool area are delightful. Although they were nearly full the hotel always seemed to be quiet.

They always seem to give me an early check in. Do send them a nice email beforehand if you want this. They will always try and do what they can

The private beach is lovely

Cons

There are approx 15 high rise office type blocks behind the hotel completely dwarfing the hotel which is only 6 storeys high!

The restaurants are quite formal and La Baie is very expensive

The price of alcohol and non alcoholic cocktails are verging on the outrageous. Evian water nearly £7 a bottle and no alternative offered. A small beer £6.50.......

The Spa is again too highly priced. A 25 min massage was over £40.

Stayed February 2008