“Good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We only stayed there for one night on the last leg of our multi country wedding anniversary trip. The hotel is next to the beach, however it's a bit of a walk. We ended up settling for the swimming pool as we couldn't stand walking far in the July heat, it was 46 degrees that day! Jumeirah is quite a distance from the airport, we paid AED97 for the taxi. The staff were excellent, right from being met by the entrance to getting our bags delivered. I cannot say anything negative about the staff that I came across during my entire stay. We stayed in a Club room which was nice, with a pool and sea facing balcony. I thought having a tablet to control the AC, lighting, alarm and curtains was awesome, I had never seen that before.

We had complimentary breakfast and snacks in the club lounge but I felt the selection was not broad enough, perhaps something to do with it being Ramadan when we were there? For dinner we ordered room service and the food was amazing.

I was very disappointed that there is no free internet in this hotel. To add to this, as we had a club room, we could have free internet....but this is only available in the club lounge!? I must have lost some weight as I constantly walked from my room to the club lounge to check my email and whatsapp messages. I suggest they make this club internet available in the club rooms as well as the club lounge. The other Dubai hotel we stayed at did this...

Room Tip: Club rooms come with complimentary breakfast and club lounge internet
1 Thank Tafadzwa T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family and friends go to Ritz-Carlton at least a couple of times per months. We live in the same area and have spend many events there, New Years (Great spot to view fireworks), Valentine dinner and Birthday parties. Everyone in the staff always greets you with a smile and kind polite words. Even our daughters feel comfortable with the staff and sometimes leaves for some adventures in the hotel. Always comes back with may stories and happy faces.

The restaurants are extraordinary and the chef's makes the most amazing food. The price for the service and the freshness of the food is outstanding. It feels like a second home from home and makes us in a great mood before going there and after saying good-bye...

Thanks for all the good times and we look forward to several more...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank Christian J
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We also were at the Ritz Carllton last week during Ramadan. My biggest dissapointment was the pool area. A huge part of the pool area was closed for renovation. Most of the picture you see on there website are not available. There is no waterfall in the pool, no bridge over the pool, no bar with canopy. When looking at the pictures today I thought it was a different hotel. I also agree about the club room. The food was very average. I was excited to go to the evening chocolate spread but it was actually a waste of time. As the last review said, we were out to dinner during the two hours that alcohol was available so didn't have any. We travelled for six weeks around Europe and this was the only hotel that didn't have free wifi. What 4 or 5 star hotel these days doesn't have free wifi. I decided I would just pay to have it until I saw the price they were charging for just a few hours. I think it is really bad that there is nothing on there website saying that half the outdoor area is unusable. This is our forth time in Dubai and the other three hotels were much better for the same price. I was happy with the room we had and also the staff were very good. One more thing if you do stay at this hotel and use a taxi, make sure you get a yellow one as the ones they have there waiting to be used are a lot more expensive. They tell you they are the same price but they are not.

4 Thank deborahjane865
Yvonne v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor of your recent stay at the Ritz-Carlton Dubai.

We are very happy to hear that you appreciated the service provided by our Ladies & Gentlemen and that you enjoyed your room at our resort, however we are truly sorry to read from your review that your experience did you meet your expectations.

It is always very valuable for us to understand our guest experiences so that we can continue to review our service offerings and please be assured that your comments has been shared with the concerned Managers and the team accordingly.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review.

Kind regards,

Raul Salcido
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We came back from this hotel yesterday after a 4 night stay in a club room. Good points were the staff who were very nice and also generally efficient. The common areas of the hotel were excellent. However, the hotel is let down by a combination of issues, inflexibility and what I regard as a cynical approach to the customer, both new and returning.
The Club Lounge was large and standards in there made it a not very special place to be - frequently noisy, even in the evening people were in there in beach type gear, training shoes, tee's etc. Most importantly though, the standard of the food was just not up to the standard of other hotel club lounges. Largely cold snacks with one or two low grade hot ones, afternoon tea was mostly wraps and three inch thick 'finger sandwiches' on hard bread. The food in this 5 star lounge was no better than 3 star snack food. Five minutes walk away the Royal Meridian club lounge is a real treat with high quality hot and cold buffet food which includes sea food, and high quality hot dishes. The ambiance and high quality, intimate style in there is also far superior to the feel in the RC which was something like a day room or common room, just not special for this sort of level and the money they are charging.
Next up, one of the pools was closed for renovation - this was not flagged up at time of booking or anywhere in the RC website from what I could see. This amounts to facilities not being available that you have paid a lot of money to use. We were there during Ramadan when alcohol is not allowed to be served anywhere before 8 in the evening. This is normal for Dubai and beyond the control of Ritz Carlton or any other hotel. The lounge was advertised as serving alcohol for those who have paid for lounge services from 12 noon until 10 in the evening again, the point being that nothing was advised at point of booking or in the section of the website re club lounge from what I have seen. The club lounge is usually a good value proposition especially in Dubai here alcohol is very expensive. If RC were transparent about this, I doubt they would take many club lounge bookings during Ramadan.
Also, given the restriction, RC should be looking to mitigate the impact on customers by extending the club lounge bar facility to midnight, there is no reason why this cannot be done and it would be a reasonable gesture given that the bar is not available for 8 out of the 10 hours advertised at this time of the year. Also, the two hours you could get a drink, are also the hours when most people are going out to dinner. As already pointed out, the standard in the lounge re food was poor and no substitute for a meal. This lack of imagination or will on behalf or Ritz Carlton to mitigate impact on guests and work to a compromise of sorts is pathetic. The lack of transparency at point of booking or on the website is not acceptable at this level.
Next, room service menu was inexplicably poor and lacking in sophistication for a 5 star hotel of this supposed stature. The Holiday Inn over at Al Barsha - 3 star - would put the Ritz Carlton to shame for its room service menu and standard of food at a fraction of the price. We've stayed at a lot of hotels in Dubai (and elsewhere) as I travel with my job. In Dubai at 5 star, Raffles, Royal Meridian, Al Murooj and the Palace (old town) beat the Ritz Carlton off the park in my honest opinion based on personal experience. More interestingly, so do some of the 4 star choices like the Al Manzil. I do not know how RC are getting away with this. I'm guessing tourist traffic on one off visits.
The rooms - not bad, but not great, the sort of thing you find in many Crown Plazas and other hotels of that level, but at a significantly higher price. Noisy staff outside the door (even when the do not disturb is displayed) carrying out their duties. Also, no complimentary internet wifi in room - at Club Room level this is, frankly, unforgivable. Very poor RC - internet is a necessity these days and club level is chosen by many in the business community precisely because of this type of facility. Again, walk next door and see the club rooms in the Royal Meridian...
Finally, when we checked out we were informed that we would not collect our loyalty points (I've used the Singapore RC) because we hadn't booked directly, but through booking.com. Yet another lack of transparency and fairness (not common with other loyalty schemes I know I might add) why should it matter where and how I book Ritz Carlton? I still paid for 4 nights club room rate at your establishment. Shame on you!
The issues really boil down to a lack of straight forward transparency and standards that are significantly below those of their similarly priced and in some cases underpriced rivals. In my opinion, this represents poor value for money for the frequent traveller who likes to travel well and in style as a matter of course. Best avoided for now until the penny drops and they try a bit harder...

Rooms
7 Thank jack2378
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback following your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai, beach resort & spa.
We are delighted to hear that you were pleased with our service provided by our Ladies & Gentlemen and the common areas of our resort. We sincerely apologize if we have come short of meeting your expectations regarding your service experience and facilities. Our service foundation is based on anticipating and exceeding our guests’ needs. Please be assured that your comments are extremely valuable to us and it has been shared with our concerned team members.

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our intimate resort.

Kind regards,

Raul Salcido
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Best Hotel we stayed at during our holiday and this was only a one night stop over on our way home from Rome to Perth. We arrived at 5.30am, check-in was not until 2.00pm however they arranged a room immediately! Nothing was a problem.
The hotel is first class but the people have made the difference, wish we were here longer, will come back again. The hotel arranged a birthday party for my 7 yr daughter at the kids club and this is only a one night stay!
This is a credit to the management and people who work here they make the difference.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Chippa51
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Ritz Carlton

Checkin was quick. And although the room wasn't due to be ready for a few hours we only waited an hour or so. Our request for two double beds hadn't been logged but they were very swift to move us once we saw the room ( another short wait for room to be cleaned) but it was worth it, the room was HUGE!
They have a Nespresso machine in the room which was a lovely touch, and we made full use of the free coffee pods at the end of the day.
The club room is well worth upgrading to go for a decent breakfast and somewhere to retreat to during the summer heat, although lunch time and early evening the choice is very limited for food and we struggled with our two children ( who are adventurous eaters).

The room service menu is also limited - not what I would expect for a large hotel but the food was super. The ricotta and orange salad, and lentil soup was fabulous, and the children's food good quality chicken and large portions. Room service was also quick. The mini bar, drinks and wine were particularly expensive I felt.

The control panel for curtains and mood lighting was novel and the children loved putting the room to 'cinema' mode! The beds/bedding was very comfortable maybe the mattress was a bit too soft though. The bathroom was enormous with the most beautiful bath, and TV on wall and a large glass windows between bathroom and bedroom. The balcony is tiny and I do not like the set up of a split shared balcony - one low level railing diving the rooms balconies. No privacy at all.

I have to say we were incredibly disappointed that the one pool was closed. We close it because of the set up for it two children knowing they would be kept busy in the heat, so to find it was closed and we weren't informed was a huge oversight. NOT happy! Head we known without any hesitation we would have changed hotel.

Unfortunately the pool chillers weren't working for our first 2/3 days (of 5). It's was 43 degrees here, and although we are used to the heat getting into a 'warm bath' was not appealing!! It did nothing to cool is down :0( it was acknowledged after I emailed customer services, and they were working on it, but this wasn't really acceptable. A temp controlled pool is expected when holidaying in the Middle East during the summer!

The staff we were very helpful but at time seemed a little stuffy and jobs worthy.
We arrived early and were told at reception we were welcome to use the club lounge for breakfast. When we arrived at the lounge we were made to feel unwelcome and told "usually we don't allow access until midday on day of arrival". A phone call ahead to the lounge would have made the gesture appreciated rather than made us feel uncomfortable. This is where their excellent customer service standards are inconsistent/lacking slightly.

The children's club was fine, but a weird location and very small and cramped, and on day one there was a very heavy smell of cigarettes in this area, but not noticeable the following days. Maybe smoking rooms nearby or just a one off?

The set up with an adults only area (pool and loungers) and the outdoor seating lounge would be beautiful for the winter time and great for young couples.

The gym was great, it had some very modern equipment and the staff knowledgable and helpful. ( windows need washing though!!) water and towels provided even though it was Ramadan.

I think overall it is a wonderful low level hotel with lovely grounds and clean pools etc. It will serve well famililies, but maybe with older children, and also for couples looking for romance.

Wouldn't be my top choice to take my 3yo and 10yo back to.

It has brilliant access to the walks of JBR, giving you a huge choice of restaurants and amenities. Great location to discover new Dubai, but a bit of a trek from old Dubai ( souks/karama etc)

Overall, for my experience I would give it 3/5, but understand some of the incidents that made our stay less than perfect were beyond anyone's control, hence why I have given it 4/5. I also think couples will have a much better experience than us with a young family. Loose the pretentiousness and make sure younger guests are more catered for generally and it will be much better!

Stayed July 2014
Magelang, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

simply five star,, the staff so warm welcoming guest,excellent service and very helpful.
smile always on their face bring happpiness to their guest.
splendido food was very nice, execellent..
I will recommend this hotel if any of my friend visiting dubai.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo