“Great Experience”

Ranked #52 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
London, United Kingdom
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

we stayed there for a night with my family, the location is ideal - beach on one side and JBR walk on the other side, the property is excellent with big pool and direct access to beach. there are lot of resturants and shops just outside of the property. Will recommend any one for a wonderful stay..

Room Tip: a bit expensive like any other dubai 5* property
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 25Amit25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Evergreen Colorado
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a great hotel, some minor flaws, but very minor. We loved it.

We stayed for 14 days , over 2 bookings in the same month.

Now I will say the main reason we booked here is the price for the hotel was a bargain during Ramadan for a beach front 5 star resort. We found the cheapest prices for the hotel where actually on their own website!

FIRST THE ADVICE:

ONLY book the club rooms, you wont regret this. DO NOT book the breakfast package or the meal supplement. You wont want it or need it. Just get a club room.

THEN THEN BAD

The beds really kinda suck, they are soft and sagging, we stayed in 2 different rooms and both beds were soft, sagging and seem to have old mattresses on them were you can tell a thousand bums have slept, there is a obvious dent on each side and a big lump or rise in the middle. You will wake up sore... I promise.

The Pool...
great pool dont get me wrong, our first week there was only one pool open, no problem as it was quiet. BUT there are a lot of chair hogs at this hotel, they will go down at 8am or earlier mark their territory on a pool chair and then come back only at 2pm for a 20 minute swim! (ok not all were this bad). The staff didnt discourage this practice and they didnt clear the seats so you couldnt always tell what was available. ...

The pool has a severe lack of umbrellas for the amount of furniture, and this is really a big issue when its 45 c and sunny all day. There are many small umbrellas that only caste a shadow for one seat, and many many umbrellas broken or in really sad state of disrepair (rips, broken arms and wood jutting out). For a hotel like this you wouldnt expect to see ripped umbrellas.

Adult pool
Great idea, doesnt work in the summer. The pool is 90% in the sun all day. Needs some more shade peoples....then you you make more money from that sunken bar.

Swimming lessons.... they are held on Friday and Saturday 10am onwards in the busiest pool in the middle of everyone, its not something I would expect to see in a Ritz Carlton pool. So beware if you go to the pool on the weekend.

Whats open, whats not... whats available,
There were closed bars and restaurants , but we didnt know it, the website didnt tell us this also and none of the staff told us this. This will apparently change soon after renovations.

By the pool food and drink..
You can get food by the poolside, but you have to ask for it no one wants to really sell it to you, I really wish they would have menus on the tables, and how about happy hours. What type of resort doesnt have a happy hour anywhere!

ALSO Marriott rewards and the wifi
You MUST be a Marriott gold member to get the free wifi, nearly all hotels now in Dubai give free wifi in room,but sadly not the Ritz, if you arent a gold member you will be paying some ridiculous amount per day for internet access in room and by the pool.

THE GOOD
The rooms, are great, they are big, the aircon cold and everything works perfect. The bathrooms are spectacular.

From the valet parking guys to the cleaners they are all friendly and will greet you by name... the staff are the asset of this hotel (actually the only exception to this was the lifeguards, some didnt speak english well at all, and they were really not that friendly which was out of place)

The club lounge is great, sure the food is a little repetitive (ok a lot), but its fresh and tasty and included in the room cost. For the most part the staff in the club lounge are exceptional in particular Claudia, Albert, Shamzat (sorry if its spelt wrong)... the guy from Kolkata (sorry cant remember your name) and most of the others.

We only ate in La Baie , we did lunch by the pool (see pic) which was great, we did lunch in the restaurant , the lunch food is great (its upmarket pub fare), and we did dinner there (very disappointing, dont do dinner its a kinda fake tapas thingy but really pricey for what it was which was the general consensus with other guests too)

We didn't eat at Splendido or Blue Jade, they are quiet pricey, and we didnt want to waste money on them in case it was disappointing like La Baie.

The hotel is located on JBR Walk, so there is a lot of competition just out front , there must be hundreds of restaurants within that 200m walkway. We did enjoy this hotel just for this location, we loved Trader Vics, they have great cocktails and happy hours , give it a try. there is also a Carrefour across the road in the apartment building for those little things....

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody, we really did have an amazing stay and will come back.

Room Tip: In summer ask for a room on the end of the corridor, the middle rooms are full sun all afternoon and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank can99
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Myself and my husband stayed at the Ritz Carlton for 3 nights en route to the Maldives, we were not disappointed. The hotel itself was very clean & the reception we received on our arrival was very welcoming. Looking at other reviews I suppose in certain areas the Hotel's decor did look a little outdated but we still felt we were in a really nice Hotel. Our room was very spacious and a really nice room. I was actually really grateful for the Club to be serving food at certain times throughout the day as we went in the month of Ramadan & obviously no one eats outside or in the Shopping Malls, so to be able to come back after trekking around Dubai & have a little nibble on something was really good plus we didn't know they supplied this in our package so a nice touch. The thing I was disappointed in, was on the Hotel's website they say they have 5 swimming pools, however we were told only one was open, I put this down to the Hotel not being in the busy period as most people would probably avoid Dubai in July due to the heat. One other thing that bugged me a little, was the restaurant we ate at finished serving at 9pm which I found really strange & some of the other restaurants were closed, so again can only put it down to being low season and not having the staff available. That's my own thoughts and opinions, however would we stay here again yes we would as those things were not too much of a problem for us, just a slight irritation. Wifi should be available to all guests in their rooms in a hotel of this caliber!!

Room Tip: Only free wifi in the club lounge, should be available in the rooms!!!
2 Thank bayshay
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We only stayed there for one night on the last leg of our multi country wedding anniversary trip. The hotel is next to the beach, however it's a bit of a walk. We ended up settling for the swimming pool as we couldn't stand walking far in the July heat, it was 46 degrees that day! Jumeirah is quite a distance from the airport, we paid AED97 for the taxi. The staff were excellent, right from being met by the entrance to getting our bags delivered. I cannot say anything negative about the staff that I came across during my entire stay. We stayed in a Club room which was nice, with a pool and sea facing balcony. I thought having a tablet to control the AC, lighting, alarm and curtains was awesome, I had never seen that before.

We had complimentary breakfast and snacks in the club lounge but I felt the selection was not broad enough, perhaps something to do with it being Ramadan when we were there? For dinner we ordered room service and the food was amazing.

I was very disappointed that there is no free internet in this hotel. To add to this, as we had a club room, we could have free internet....but this is only available in the club lounge!? I must have lost some weight as I constantly walked from my room to the club lounge to check my email and whatsapp messages. I suggest they make this club internet available in the club rooms as well as the club lounge. The other Dubai hotel we stayed at did this...

Room Tip: Club rooms come with complimentary breakfast and club lounge internet
1 Thank Tafadzwa T
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family and friends go to Ritz-Carlton at least a couple of times per months. We live in the same area and have spend many events there, New Years (Great spot to view fireworks), Valentine dinner and Birthday parties. Everyone in the staff always greets you with a smile and kind polite words. Even our daughters feel comfortable with the staff and sometimes leaves for some adventures in the hotel. Always comes back with may stories and happy faces.

The restaurants are extraordinary and the chef's makes the most amazing food. The price for the service and the freshness of the food is outstanding. It feels like a second home from home and makes us in a great mood before going there and after saying good-bye...

Thanks for all the good times and we look forward to several more...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Christian J
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We also were at the Ritz Carllton last week during Ramadan. My biggest dissapointment was the pool area. A huge part of the pool area was closed for renovation. Most of the picture you see on there website are not available. There is no waterfall in the pool, no bridge over the pool, no bar with canopy. When looking at the pictures today I thought it was a different hotel. I also agree about the club room. The food was very average. I was excited to go to the evening chocolate spread but it was actually a waste of time. As the last review said, we were out to dinner during the two hours that alcohol was available so didn't have any. We travelled for six weeks around Europe and this was the only hotel that didn't have free wifi. What 4 or 5 star hotel these days doesn't have free wifi. I decided I would just pay to have it until I saw the price they were charging for just a few hours. I think it is really bad that there is nothing on there website saying that half the outdoor area is unusable. This is our forth time in Dubai and the other three hotels were much better for the same price. I was happy with the room we had and also the staff were very good. One more thing if you do stay at this hotel and use a taxi, make sure you get a yellow one as the ones they have there waiting to be used are a lot more expensive. They tell you they are the same price but they are not.

4 Thank deborahjane865
Yvonne v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor of your recent stay at the Ritz-Carlton Dubai.

We are very happy to hear that you appreciated the service provided by our Ladies & Gentlemen and that you enjoyed your room at our resort, however we are truly sorry to read from your review that your experience did you meet your expectations.

It is always very valuable for us to understand our guest experiences so that we can continue to review our service offerings and please be assured that your comments has been shared with the concerned Managers and the team accordingly.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review.

Kind regards,

Raul Salcido
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We came back from this hotel yesterday after a 4 night stay in a club room. Good points were the staff who were very nice and also generally efficient. The common areas of the hotel were excellent. However, the hotel is let down by a combination of issues, inflexibility and what I regard as a cynical approach to the customer, both new and returning.
The Club Lounge was large and standards in there made it a not very special place to be - frequently noisy, even in the evening people were in there in beach type gear, training shoes, tee's etc. Most importantly though, the standard of the food was just not up to the standard of other hotel club lounges. Largely cold snacks with one or two low grade hot ones, afternoon tea was mostly wraps and three inch thick 'finger sandwiches' on hard bread. The food in this 5 star lounge was no better than 3 star snack food. Five minutes walk away the Royal Meridian club lounge is a real treat with high quality hot and cold buffet food which includes sea food, and high quality hot dishes. The ambiance and high quality, intimate style in there is also far superior to the feel in the RC which was something like a day room or common room, just not special for this sort of level and the money they are charging.
Next up, one of the pools was closed for renovation - this was not flagged up at time of booking or anywhere in the RC website from what I could see. This amounts to facilities not being available that you have paid a lot of money to use. We were there during Ramadan when alcohol is not allowed to be served anywhere before 8 in the evening. This is normal for Dubai and beyond the control of Ritz Carlton or any other hotel. The lounge was advertised as serving alcohol for those who have paid for lounge services from 12 noon until 10 in the evening again, the point being that nothing was advised at point of booking or in the section of the website re club lounge from what I have seen. The club lounge is usually a good value proposition especially in Dubai here alcohol is very expensive. If RC were transparent about this, I doubt they would take many club lounge bookings during Ramadan.
Also, given the restriction, RC should be looking to mitigate the impact on customers by extending the club lounge bar facility to midnight, there is no reason why this cannot be done and it would be a reasonable gesture given that the bar is not available for 8 out of the 10 hours advertised at this time of the year. Also, the two hours you could get a drink, are also the hours when most people are going out to dinner. As already pointed out, the standard in the lounge re food was poor and no substitute for a meal. This lack of imagination or will on behalf or Ritz Carlton to mitigate impact on guests and work to a compromise of sorts is pathetic. The lack of transparency at point of booking or on the website is not acceptable at this level.
Next, room service menu was inexplicably poor and lacking in sophistication for a 5 star hotel of this supposed stature. The Holiday Inn over at Al Barsha - 3 star - would put the Ritz Carlton to shame for its room service menu and standard of food at a fraction of the price. We've stayed at a lot of hotels in Dubai (and elsewhere) as I travel with my job. In Dubai at 5 star, Raffles, Royal Meridian, Al Murooj and the Palace (old town) beat the Ritz Carlton off the park in my honest opinion based on personal experience. More interestingly, so do some of the 4 star choices like the Al Manzil. I do not know how RC are getting away with this. I'm guessing tourist traffic on one off visits.
The rooms - not bad, but not great, the sort of thing you find in many Crown Plazas and other hotels of that level, but at a significantly higher price. Noisy staff outside the door (even when the do not disturb is displayed) carrying out their duties. Also, no complimentary internet wifi in room - at Club Room level this is, frankly, unforgivable. Very poor RC - internet is a necessity these days and club level is chosen by many in the business community precisely because of this type of facility. Again, walk next door and see the club rooms in the Royal Meridian...
Finally, when we checked out we were informed that we would not collect our loyalty points (I've used the Singapore RC) because we hadn't booked directly, but through booking.com. Yet another lack of transparency and fairness (not common with other loyalty schemes I know I might add) why should it matter where and how I book Ritz Carlton? I still paid for 4 nights club room rate at your establishment. Shame on you!
The issues really boil down to a lack of straight forward transparency and standards that are significantly below those of their similarly priced and in some cases underpriced rivals. In my opinion, this represents poor value for money for the frequent traveller who likes to travel well and in style as a matter of course. Best avoided for now until the penny drops and they try a bit harder...

7 Thank jack2378
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback following your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai, beach resort & spa.
We are delighted to hear that you were pleased with our service provided by our Ladies & Gentlemen and the common areas of our resort. We sincerely apologize if we have come short of meeting your expectations regarding your service experience and facilities. Our service foundation is based on anticipating and exceeding our guests’ needs. Please be assured that your comments are extremely valuable to us and it has been shared with our concerned team members.

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our intimate resort.

Kind regards,