“Very Very Disappointing”

Ranked #55 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Dubai
“Very Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I was very shocked to get such a bad bad service in the prperty such as Ritz carlton. We are talking about one of the best luxry cahins in the world!!!I am terrified!I had one of the most unpleasent treatments and experiences in the past year. I tried meet with one my friends in the lobby of the hotel and it took me 45 min to reach it, as from the entrance of the hotel-so silly and so unprofessional. As i was driving to ener the hotel area, some of their employees was waving in the street directiong me rudly with no exp-lanations to the exit of the driving hotel area-Where in the world you are entering through the exit?even when i asked, jhe was just screaming at me to pass by. since i had no other choice i did it, and i came in front of the hotel, useless waiting for anyone from a valet parking....there was a big bus and everyone was running around it, and the rest of the people around were just ignored!so so bad!finally i entered the prohibited area on my own with my car,after losing another half an hour, and since i had no choice i left the car there. with no single indication how to reach the lobby from the hotel parking, i came all tired and excausted to the lobby after trying to find anyone to ask(no signs anywhere-even in the guest elevators)about the way to the lobby. i tried to explain to the guest realtion desk what happened,and to explain that it is impossible to give such a service to anyone- and the only thing they said is:Mam, we are sorry but we have a big group coming!
i believe that I dont have to say anything anymore!My friend was already there and i had to be there for another 15 minutes unfortunatly, of course with 4 waiters around, and noone to assist you. even after seeing my frustartion, no one even tried to give me a glass of water or anything to try to correct the complete misbehaviour of everyone...
i tried to call waitresses several times, and they were just passing by seeing empty glasses from prevous guests and not picking them up!at the end they served a glass of wine to my friend not even mentioning that the glass of sauvignon blanc is 20 euros( 100 Dhs)!I am sure that you have to say this before you order anything!
I was in dubai more than 20 times, visiting most of the hotels,and beign completely disappointed with the disappointed with the service and places visited fgor the pruice we woul pay, but this was one of the worste time ever!
I willl never ever go back there, and i will stronlgy reccommend to anyone to choose any of the other dubai hotels(even 3-4 star)since i am sure they will get much better treatment there!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ilarija

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sardinia, Italy
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We have just returned from our 6 nights stay at the RC. It is really a very good property with that personal touch that makes your stay very special. The best thing about the hotel is that is very quiet and reserved. Very attentive staff,everyone know your name after 2 days.
Surprisingly,there room for criticism,even in a hotel like this.
Hot water in the shower took and unbelivably long time to arrive,and when arrive it was difficult to be balanced with the cold one.
Sice we were on our honeymoon they provided us flower petals in the tub. Ok good for the first day "wow" factor,but then the staff did not removed it for the next 4 days.....unaccetable.
And the flies. Yes...the beautiful pool is invaded by flies,it really makes relax impossible.

The major problem is location anyway. This hotel is away from everything and it takes an unbelivable taxi time to go everywhere. Sometimes the taxis take long time to arrive as behind the hotel there's a fully operational construction site,near the Marina. We choose to use the hotel BMW many times as not only taxi take long time to go everywhere,but taxi drivers all drive like psychos and many don't even know their way around town..
We stayed at the Al Qasr after the RC and it has been unbelivably better and beautiful for the same price.
Will not go back to the RC.

Stayed October 2008
5 Thank Vegasvet
London
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Spent 9 nights at Ritz Carlton Dubai; our third visit there. As usual the service is superb and great attention to detail although at breakfast the fruit was melon, melon and more melon. Last year there was an abundance of strawberries and this year missing.

I did think they needed to look at small details such as the carpet which led from the lobby lounge down to the lifts. It is very very stained and as it is a piece probably measuring 15ft by 4ft surely it could be replaced? These little things add up.

The staff were as ever fantastic. Would we go again? Yes.

• Liked — spacious
  • Disliked — the menu in splendido restaurant is very limited
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank belmont171
Glasgow
Reviewed 25 August 2008

After the Arabian Court last year a much welcome return to the Ritz Carlton. We stayed in one of the Club Room's with access to the Club Lounge.

Before I go any further ....I would just like to thank the Club Level Team of Farouk , Mary Anne, Dominique, the ever bubbly Christina, Louise and Daria to name but a few. First class service and really nice individuals into the bargain!
Thank you for the wonderful stay.

Upon arrival we were wisked up to the Club Lounge where we checked in and had a drink and a bite to eat....The room was ready within 30 mins of our arrival ( We arrived about 07:00 and check in should not have been until 2pm) and just every bit identical to the Delux Rooms on floors 1-4. Only difference was the Steam generator in the Shower enclosure..oh and the New LCD Tv's that were added from our last stay.

As ever the hotel was quiet and elegent. Judging by the amount of guests staying I would say it was running at 50% occupancy. Which was just ideal for us....the Hotel's Main Pool had no more than about 10 people in at at anyone time. However we voted for the Pool at the Spa on a daily basis....NO KIDs were allowed in this pool unless Supervised and if they were not, the Life Guard soon removed them. ( Not really sure if all the guests knew it was there). Anyway, it felt as if you were in your own private Villa only being disturbed by the waiters every now and again........with free fruit Kebabs and enquiring if we wished anything to drink which was most welcome as a few days were hitting 50oC and the Humidity was out of this world.

This Hotel, in my opinion caters for the relaxed and refined atmosphere market and a Heaven in Dubai for some peace and quiet.

However I have only two concerns / observations about this Hotel this time:-

1) The Restaurants...we ate in "Splendido" during our first week of our stay. The Menu was a bit Lack Luster and Dated. The standard of the food and the presentation left a lot to be desired and it had a "Home made "feel about it. We were bitterly disappointed!! But thought maybe they had an Off night.....a few days later we were approached by one of the Management Team and informed that due a quiet night in the Restaurant the Chef would like to offer you a complementary dinner for two! (along with the other Club Level Guests.) just about everyone and taken up his kind offer when we arrived :-). I don't mean to appear ungrateful here, but I don't think I would take up his offer again..Free or not! The food was just as it was the last time. Not the 5 star Delux Ritz Carlton standards I was expecting and Sadly if you do not like Sushi that leaves the other Restaurant out as Well "La Baie". In my humble opinion these restaurants are the only Achilles Heel in the Ritz Carlton's Armour.

My second and final gripe is "We" were a tad disapointed with the facilities in the Club Lounge. We had to ask one of the Team to turn off the Music that had been doing my head in for 4 days running...there was a problem with the music system that played the same song over, over and over and then over again...Next day new equipment arrived and the Club Team were as relieved as we were...I can tell you!!! It was about half the size of the club lounge in the Ritz in Bahrain and all you had to keep you entertained was the lounge music.....and a complementry Lap top to do a bit of surfing. Off the main lounge was a seperate room which would have been a lot better utilised as a TV room for the Guests rather than a Kiddies playroom which was never used during our 15 nights......I suggest to New General Manager gets over to Bahrain for a visit and bring back their facilities. Oh and finally on the Club Level gripes...the food was wayyyyy too repetitive....absolutely fine if you are there for a few days but anymore than 7 days you start too get a bit ...mmmm...oh god I can't eat another egg mayo mini roll. However everything else was just Fabulous and the complementry drinks were much welcomed...( Well you do pay for the priviledge) all in all it was pretty good value for money considering the wine and Champagne costs etc in Dubai. You want a dinner reservation at any other hotel in Dubai you just need to ask the Club staff or anything else that you need during your stay.

I have touched on this at the start of this review that one of the best things about this Hotel are it's staff. From the moment you arrive at the door to be met by big Harmony and his band of Merry men, the hotel Chauffers, Pools staff etc etc etc I could go on but won't!.......Will I be back to the Ritz Carlton Dubai?????? You bet I will! As no other hotel comes close for the peace and Quiet and intimate atmosphere.

• Liked — Location and the Standard
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Samoyed-Man
Dallas
Reviewed 8 June 2008

I really enjoyed my stay at the Ritz Carlton Dubai. Everyone there was extremely nice and always willing to help me in any way possible. The concierge staff was one of the best I have ever met. The rooms were very nice. The beds were the most comfortable I have been on in a hotel in awhile. I have read previous reviews that the rooms were very out dated. I did not see that at all. The bathroom was especially spacious and nice. The only negative that I will point out was that the pool area was heavily populated with families and children. When I originally read about the hotel there was a children's pool mentioned which led me to believe the main pool was for adults only. That is not the case. It was hard to relax and enjoy the pool with all the noise and splashing.

Just a side note... this hotel is definitely not close to most of what there is to do in Dubai. Be prepared to spend time in Taxi's getting to where you want to go.

I was in room 419. It was a great location with a great view. I highly reccommend it.

• Liked — The rooms.
  • Disliked — The location.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank Cathy0411
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2008

What a nice change to find a small, very personal hotel in the building site known as Dubai.
I thought the place was excellent, very friendly, good service and not too busy even though the place was almost full.
I have stayed at most along the beach including the One and Only resorts, Meridians, Burj and must admit i thought it to be the best.
If you are looking for pure tourist bedlem then dont stay here, but if you want a sun lounger pre-set with towels drinks etc every day set in your favourite place then this is the hotel for you.
The staff could not be faulted, the food excellent and general feel of the hotel very calming and a real touch of class.
Dont get me wrong there is not really a bad hotel along the beach but if you want something a little quieter with a little more quality then this is your place.

• Liked — Quality
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Glen27
Dubai
Reviewed 11 May 2008

The Ritz-Carlton Dubai, what can I say, great Nigerian guy at reception, very friendly, extremely helpful and pleasant hostesses Christina at the VIP Club Suite and great cherry tomatoes at their signature restaurant “La Baie”. Everything else was very poor. This is the first time I have ever felt the need to write a hotel review but the comical farce of errors experienced in 24 hours at the Ritz has left me basically with no choice. At USD 700 a night, I expect a lot and I simply did not get it. Let’s begin:

Upon check-in we were ushered up to the VIP Suite where out of date fruit was available. I was asked to sign my check-in bill where the price quoted was USD 1000. I complained that I was quoted a much lower price. It was quickly fixed. From that we went to the spa where inside, there was a notice, drink plenty of water prior to using the steam room / sauna. Good idea I though, let’s get some water. The search began, I looked everywhere and off course there was no water. Finally I asked the Spa attendant and he returned several minutes later with a fairly warm bottle of water. The spa was disappointing, very dated, very small and no chill out sun loungers. There wasn’t room to swing a cat. After an hour, I wandered to the pool, amazing, lush and plenty of palm trees and green soft grass. I started to cheer up, and then went looking for a sun lounger. I could not find any. Finally one appeared and I asked for an additional lounger for my wife and an umbrella to fight of the 40 degrees heat that was baking down. Simple request for a 5 star hotel. It took 30 minutes to get the additional sun lounger and the umbrella comes on the third request. It was not the waiters fault, there was only two in total. Not once did someone come and offer me a drink, bearing in mind the extreme Dubai temperatures. Night-time and it was off the join friends at "La Baie" and to be frank, we were very disappointed with the service that we received.

Upon receipt of our bread basket, we requested olive oil and balsamic vinegar - we were still awaiting this at 11 p.m. despite the waiter assuring us that he would "try to provide this". As an European fusion restaurant, I would assume that this would be readily available.
We were offered a second bread basket (Please note, we did not ask for such). We responded by saying that yes, that would be appreciated - again, we were still waiting such at 11 p.m.!!
The four of us ordered the chef's special - sword fish accompanied by rocket, raspberry and potato cake. Upon arrival, we all enthused about the flavour however were incredibly disappointed with the portion size. We are all very familiar with restaurant dining, however believed this portion to be, quite frankly, on the rather mean side especially considering the price of USD 57. Due to this, we enquired whether it would be possible to have additional potato cakes however were told that as these were a chef's speciality were limited, therefore we were offered the option of rosemary potatoes which we accepted.
Upon receipt of such (we required one portion, however two were delivered to the table and subsequently charged for!!), to our horror, we discovered that they were under cooked. Again, we are very conscious of "al dente" vegetables however this usually applies to green/root vegetables and I have never experienced potatoes cooked in this manner. Frankly, quite impossible to digest.
We had ordered a bottled of Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon to accompany our meal. A member of our party requested a further glass of the same, of which the remaining three also decided to follow suit. Upon tasting, I knew instantly that this was a different wine however the Sommelier insisted that no, it was exactly the same - a Merlot!! We asked to see the wine menu in order to show the gentleman what we had previously ordered, however after requesting the menu on four separate occasions, we continued to wait!! Eventually, it was established that we had been drinking a Cabernet Sauvignon and NOT a Merlot but I do not expect to have to liaise and negotiate with a Sommelier when we are the customers!!
Next morning, it was off to Breakfast. We went into the restaurant and it all looked good. We ordered tea and orange juice, had a read of the newspaper and then went up to get the food from the counters. There was a total of 2 couples there, on the way back down to the table, I was shocked to see that the waitress in her efficiency had totally cleared out table, orange juices, newspapers and teas. We sat down at the same table and re-ordered everything once again.
As you can see from the above points, ours was not a particularly enjoyable experience. We spoke with Jorge Mejia (we think Assistant Manager) to comment upon our grudges however did not receive a satisfactory response. Upon paying the bill, we also spoke to Osama Wannous but no form of recompense was offered.

All in all forget this place, it you want five star in Dubai go to the One & Only or Le Meriden. These are the real 5 star hotels.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple