“Our second time around We like be treated like a King and Queen”

Burj Al Arab Jumeirah
Ranked #25 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Elkton, Maryland
“Our second time around We like be treated like a King and Queen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2009

Okay,Okay we are neither a King or a Queen,but for one night and a high limit credit card we were. We stayed here back in 2006 and enjoyed the place so much we thought we would splurge again.SO $1800 later we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. Again you are just in awe of the place driving up to it and finding a local taxi driver to do it is easy as they don't get many chances to go there. We were on the 18th floor this time and were greeted by concierge by name and remembering what we liked last time. We spent the night at the races and returned to our beautiful hotel and had dinner at the buffet in th lobby.Didn't think that was worth the $250 price tag. Breakfast out back the next morning was only $50 and had filet on the buffet. Had a Corona up in the bar $50. You are not getting away cheap here. We thought the room was showing some age this time as there was a wear spot on the des chair and all of the shower head sprayers were not working. Piddly stuff but again it's $1800 a night. Hard to sleep here when there is so much to check out and being of humble living back home we were like kids in a candy shop. We were not excited about the mirror over the bed but later found out that you can have it covered.There was not a diet Pepsi in the hotel but was assured that our next stay there will be some.Fun place to stay but very expensive.Lots of memories. The Burg is Dubia.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank coopervanning

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

I had the pleasure of staying here in September 2008. It was an amazing experience. Expensive but worth every penny. The room was an absoluting beautiful. It was 1850 sq ft with two floors and spiral stair case. His and hers sinks in the bathroom. A jacuzzi for two. Steam shower. The view of the Sea was stunning. 24 hour butler who tidied up the minute u left the room. They gave u full size Hermes fragrances, shampoos, body lotion, aftershave....etc. Lots of other free toiletries to take home like La Prairie's Caviar cream. There is a business center with laptop, fax and printer in each room. Nice swimming pool but who needs that when there is a private beach!

I thought the food at the restaurants wasn't the best. It wasn't bad but I just expected better tasting food considering everything else about this hotel was top notch.

I definately recommend this hotel to everyone. I know its expensive and not everyone can afford to stay here. Its totally worth saving for to have a once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank eosinophil
cleveland ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2009

everyone should stay here once in a lifetime. it was the most incredible experience. expensive but worth every penny. service to die for. press a clicker, the butler draws your bath. hermes amenities, staff wonderful. there is nothing more one could ask for

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank happynsatisfied
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

We'd bought our flights months ago for a long weekend in Dubai, but a couple of weeks before we were due to fly and we still hadn't booked our accommodation. The reason? The Burj Al Arab. With enough money to consider the idea of staying there, but not so much that we are able to squander it without much thought, we were in a dilemma. Could we really justify spending That. Much. Money?
We decided to spend one night in the Burj and two nights nearer the center of Dubai (separate review).

And to summarise before the details - the Burj was more amazing that I had imagined. It absolutely made our holiday and I'm now trying to work out when I can save up enough money to justify going back, for longer!

As the Burj Al Arab is quite away out of the center of Dubai we decided to only spend one night there as we didn't want to waste a lot of the weekend travelling in and out of town - this was our first visit to Dubai and we wanted to see as much as possible.
Landing in Dubai early in the morning we'd pre-arranged an airport-to-hotel transfer with BA to minimise any hassle. We got to the Burj around 10am.
We were greeted as we walked into the foyer and were sat down while they took our details and passports. Someone brought us cold wet faceclothes (blissful given the heat coming in through the window), some coffee (served in a mini cup but I think with as many top ups as you'd like), and a plate of dates. They kind of stood over us though while we sipped our coffee and tasted the dates which felt a little bit awkward. Although knowing us, they'd probably asked us something and were looking at us expectantly but we hadn't heard. You can't see much of the hotel from these first few metres of the entrance foyer and what you can see is a bit disappointing. Dull gold, dull red and a bit worn.

That changes as soon as you step onto the escalators to go up into the main foyer. You can see all the way up the hotel, to all the different floors, as the inside of the Burj is hollow. I hadn't realised. It's light, and airy, and really colourful.

We were really lucky as a room was available for us straight away. They took us up to our room (10th floor but as each room is two floors high it's further up than it sounds) to do the check-in - although in hindsight they probably realised their mistake in doing that as they struggled to get our attention back as soon as they opened the door. We'd gone for the panoramic suite and were greeted with two storey high floor-to-ceiling windows and a blue and gold staircase sweeping up to the right. We figure the suite was about 2-3 times the size of our two bedroom flat. The pictures on the website don't do it justice and I just don't have the vocabulary or writing skill to help out much. The word that comes to mind is opulent, and all the others associated with it in a thesaurus. I'd heard that the Burj is actually a 5* hotel and the 7* rating is just clever marketing. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, after seeing this hotel, I think the 1 - 5 star rating system needs to be changed as this hotel is way above any 5* I've ever stayed in.
There are stickers on the windows to let you know that any window cleaners that might pass can not see into the room. Although I'm not sure how true that is if the lights are on?!

As you will have read in other reviews, there are lots of complementary goodies in the room. Obviously we'd paid for them in the rate, but there was more than I'd even expected. His and hers shower gel, his and hers shampoos, his and hers deodorants, his and hers scent. And when I say 'his and hers' I don't mean one shared bottle with a smell to suit male and female, I mean one bottle for him and one bottle for her. Full size. Hermes.
Slippers, Flip flops, Beach Bag, box of stuffed dates (the most gorgeous dates I've ever tasted), and even a bottle of wine.
Be careful that you don't help yourself to the non-free items though - prices for those are in the mini bar menu.

We found the pillows (I guess they're not expecting people to go to bed at 11am but we were still tired from the flight) and had a nap for an hour before heading out to the Wild Wadi waterpark, a few minutes walk from the hotel and free to guests. You get free towels from the park as a guest of the hotel but you have to pay for a locker (~£5 per locker).
I'm glad we went to the park, but it wasn't really that great and I would have been gutted if we'd paid extra to go in. The slow moving river, where you sit on or cling to a rubber ring and float around is a bit boring. The fast chutes, where you sit on a rubber ring and are pushed around by water jets are actually a bit painfull on your rear! The wave pool is ok I suppose and there are sun loungers around it but not worth visiting the waterpark just for that when the beach is not far away. And I expect that the newer waterparks in Dubai have improved upon it.

We headed back to the Burj to use the gym (about 4 of each cardio machine, free weights and various weights machines) and the spa pools (female only pools in the ladies changing rooms, and combined male / female pools near the mens changing rooms). Windows overlooking the water (the pools and the gym, not the changing rooms). Very. Nice. Indeed.

As we'd messed up our eating clocks on the flight we weren't hungry for lunch but would be too hungry if we waited for dinner, so we decided to have afternoon tea instead. We ordered it to our room so that we could loaf around in our dressing gowns to eat. It was huge. Mini buns, finger sandwiches, cakes and scones. I think there might have been 8 scones. It was delicious but we couldn't finish it.

When we gathered the willpower to move again we got dressed and went up to the skybar for a couple of drinks. It's a nice bar, but it's nothing really to rave about. The drinks are quite expensive, though that wasn't really a surprise, and it was fine for a few glasses.

We had a choice of two restaurants for breakfast (included in our rates) - we chose the one on the ground floor with lovely views of the outdoor pool. There was so much choice. If you get the chance, try the honeycomb!

I guess if you have to choose between one night in the Burj Al Arab, or a luxury all inclusive week somewhere else, then you're probably better off going with the other option. But if this is something you want to experience, and you don't mind spending that much money, and you want never to look at another hotel in the same way again, and you want to spend the next age rejigging your budget so that you can go back, then what are you waiting for! Go and book it!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
17 Thank MsPhileasFogg
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

I recently had a two night stay at the Burj Al Arab (BAA) and was thoroughly impressed. Though I agree with other reviewers that perhaps this was just a one time visit to try it and move on. My greatest fear was that I would expect too much, and I think I walked away more satisfied than anything, with very few disappointments.

My friend and I determined to book at the BAA based on it’s reputation—seeing it non-stop on television travel programs. I booked a two night stay on the hotel’s website for two nights, all-in a Panoramic Suite for 8100Dhms (roughly $3kUSD). We arrived early at the hotel and check-in was a delight. No front desk, no lines. Simply sit in the lobby, enjoy juices, dates and hot towels, as a guest service rep met us to check-in. Despite checking in early, where most hotels make it problematic, the BAA offered three options. First offer was an upgraded suite. Next they offered a different suite with an added bed. Or, simply wait for the originally reserved suite to become available. Thankfully we took the upgrade, which ended up retailing at 12000Dhms/night.

The suite itself was nothing short of amazing. It redefines any hotel’s notion of a suite. I refer to it more as a mini-mansion. I was thoroughly impressed with the half hour tour of all the inner workings of the suite from our butler. The suite featured one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on, and one of the finest showers I’ve ever stepped into. Simply amazing. The technology added to the room’s lightning, temperature, security and other controls is second to none. I was impressed to have in-room wired or wifi internet, with the additional use of a computer printer. Though shocked they did not offer high definition television, despite having HD lcd monitors.

The butler staff kept the room well stocked with fresh flowers, fruits and still water. The moment you leave the room, the staff is in there cleaning it and prepping for your return.

I couldn’t get confirmation, but the smell and taste of the regular tap water indicated to me that the hotel possibly treats their water further after receiving it from Dubai’s desalination plant. Water which had a noticeable bad taste at other hotels in Dubai.

One great aspect of the suite at the Burj Al Arab is the scent. They’ve managed to give the room a very neutral scent. No overpowering fragrances.

The only problem encountered during the stay was with the concierge service. Twice they managed to mess up boating reservations at the Jumeirah Beach resort’s marina. Our butler service tried to cover for them, but the damage had already been done. Two days of boating were ruined.

Otherwise the concierge and butler were very thorough in arranging for any other needs throughout the stay--especially when it came to transportation. The hotel operates their own car service which is comparable, if not more affordable, than one of the local taxis. BAA extensively promotes their high end luxury vehicles, but they also had a fleet of more low key, unmarked vehicles which were great to take around town without causing unneeded attention.

Being that the hotel has become the national symbol for the UAE, they tend to draw a lot of amateur photographers and tourists at the gates. Security was very good about keeping a guest list at the motor gate and foot gate, and keeping the hotel free from many gawkers. They really offered a quiet, enjoyable hotel experience without having to navigate a lobby full of non-guest tourists.

I would definitely like to return, but quite honestly don’t see value for the dollar for the price paid. It’s wonderful to try it, and maybe return years down the road, but I definitely won’t make this my first choice. Especially as Dubai begins to open even more first class luxury hotel offerings as it grows. I left with some amazing photos, and wonderful memories.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
9 Thank IntegrityTravel
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

We stayed for three nights in a panoramic suite, on the 12th floor of the Burj Al Arab.
Check-in was efficient, then we were welcomed in our suite by out personal butler, which did a perfect service during our wholhe stay.

The suite is big, very big. And I recommend a panoramic suite, because of the excellent view you get. All the amenities are available in the suite and the entertainment system is probably the best you can get. (e.g. when somebody rings the door bell you even see the video on the big flat screen tv inside the suite!)

Food was good, we ate at the steak house in the Jumeirah Beach hotel and also in the Al Mahara "underwater" restaurant. This experience was fascinating but also a bit frustrating. The setting is spectacular, although it is not underwater (just one big aquarium), the food on the other hand was a bit disappointing. We had a whole fish in a salt crust. They prepared it in front of us, served it on two cold plates and by the time the second plate was ready, my small piece of fish was already cold. And the fish was not cheap. Maybe they got better now, as they call themselves one of the top ten restaurants worldwide!

Otherwise the "Burj Experience" was great fun, decadence anywhere you look. On the beach we were served Evian water sprays....

Stay here if you need to have seen it. In summer you can afford it....

• Liked — huge suite
  • Disliked — food in the Al Mahara
  • Stayed July 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank philaveller
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2008

Yes, it's a lot of money. However, it's one of those things that you just have to do it once in your life time. Of course going in, we knew that Burj had exceptional service, but they were defintely a few notches above most hotels.

During our butler's "orientation", he mentioned that they could change the mattress if it was too soft/hard. Taking up the offer, we made the request. When we came back from dinner that night, the mattress had been replaced.

We had late check out as our flight was at mid-night. Even after the check out, we could still use all the amenities of the hotel. We kept a change of clothing in the locker room and went about exploring the city. After dinner, we were able to use the pool and shower before we head out to the airport.

I had a facial at the Spa. It was good but not outstanding. The lady behind the counter at the Spa (Qi/Qian?) was less than helpful when I was trying to make the appoitment and looked impatient. Also, you could hear people talking in the hallway outside the treatment rooms, which could be slightly irritating when you try to relax.

Defintely try Junsui ( the new Asian restaurant) if you have the opportunity. The Wagyu beef was absolutely delicious. MMMMM...

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank FoBMD