“Even better than last time”

Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Ranked #58 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
UK
“Even better than last time”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

The hotel still looks great, two years after our last visit. The beach, the pools, lobby and restaurants are all beautiful. The use of facilities and restaurants at the other hotels in the group was a great bonus. What really stands out is the helpfulness of the staff and the sheer number of them. Around the pools, especially, the life guards kept a very close eye on all the children, which allows parents to relax. On arrival we were upgraded from two rooms (we travelled with two of our children - aged 12 and 13 and so had two rooms booked) to a two bed beachcomber suite. These are on the ground floor and are very large, though the single bathroom is quite small. The real bonus is the large lounge area which allowed us all space, and also the access to the private terrace and from there to the pools and beach, without having to go through the lobby or elevators. We also were on "half board", which was excellent value. We ate at as many restaurants as possible, in the Madinat hotel also and could choose anything from the menus. We went scuba diving (great but water was not clear) and water skiing. Teenage kids are not as well provided for, but younger children were well looked after with many clubs and activities. The water parks (Wild Wadi and Atlantis) are a diversion but cannot compare to the USA parks. The gym is very well equipped and has an excellent range of classes with great instructors. Though the weather in July was very hot and humid, I wish I had booked to stay longer as we had such a great time. The whole family want to return as we enjoyed it even more the second time.

1 Thank Tess01
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Jumeirah Beach Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us in our two bedroom Beachcomber suite. I am delighted to read that you found good value in our half board package and that you have enjoyed good service throughout your stay. Our team will be so pleased to read that their efforts have been much appreciated.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you again at Jumeirah Beach Hotel.

Margaret Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,145)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Got back from my 9th visit to Dubai (2nd to Jumeirah Beach Hotel) last week.

Service is fantastic, although it would be nice if staff enforced queuing at reception desks, buffets etc to some guests who have no concept of it. The kids club went down a storm with our 4 year old and the free ice lollies and suncream in the rooms were a nice gesture.

However, do think the clientele has changed dramatically at the hotel and in Dubai in general. The pool area and restaurants were packed with mouthy teenagers and adults shouting at anyone who would listen how much money they had, comparing tattoos and boob jobs and showing absolutely no respect for local customs with regards to dress codes etc.. Next year think we will try the hotel next door, Mina A'Salaam, which seems a lot more tranquil and seems to be frequented by those who are used to travelling outside the Canary Islands/Costas.

2 Thank umiaisha
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Please allow me to apologize that there were some aspects of your stay which have not been up to your expectations. As a company we greatly value feedback of all types from our guests in order to continuously deliver a high standard of service.

south yorkshire
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Just back from a short stay after trip to Maldives - and OMG what a shock to the system! After the peace of an island in the Indian Ocean it felt like we had come to a hotel in Ibiza albeit with extreme heat! There were people everywhere, the pool area was packed and the obligatory music was playing. We spent the first hour coming to terms with the madness before we settled down.
The hotel itself is visually stunning and the rooms were immaculate with a good array of complimentary articles which were regularly replenished. The views of the Burj and the small marina were impressive and the service was top notch. Every question was answered and nothing was too much trouble.
We were on half board and found this to be extremely good value. I would strongly recommend the Lebanese restaurant - the food was fabulous, but I wasn't impressed by the Italian - the setting, although nice, made it feel as if you were sitting in a shopping mall as the area opened out on to a wide walk way with shops! Quite an odd experience - the food was ok but nothing special.
The breakfast buffet was extensive and, on the whole, good quality. Service was, once again, very good.
Overall a good stay and the hotel certainly lived up to its reputation for service and quality - would I stay again? Possibly - but not in July again as we found the heat too much (40 degrees day & night). I was also quite surprised to find myself equating the atmosphere to that of Ibiza - maybe it was the time of year but that did put me off somewhat - probably need another visit to make sure!

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank fabholslover
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2010
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us although I understand that there were some aspects of your stay which have not been up to your expectations regarding the tranquility of the resort. I am delighted to read that you found good value in our half board package and that you have enjoyed good service throughout your stay.

Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 1 August 2010

The hotel was amazing.. although we stayed on the first floor the first night, the view of Burj AlArab was amazing. The hotel has all the facilities needed. The beaches were always clean and the people were all great. Best part was Wild Wadi which is literally a two minute walk as it is within the resort. You can spend all day there if you want to! The hotel also arranges for a bus which can take you to the Emirates mall, they come every half hour which is very convenient. They also make stops along the way (if you have time you should stop at AlQasr hotel to take a look inside- the desgin is beyong amazin!) it also connects to the Souk in Mina Sallam which is also a must see. It feels surreal. Finally, a bus is also available but evry 2h30 to Dubai Mall - it is huge and you can spend hours there shopping. If you make it to Dubai Mall, make sure to see the Dubai Fountains during the evening, the sight is breathless as they move to different music every half hour - there are also restaurants outside which accomodate the view of the fountains (Lower floor of Dubai Mall then you exit to fountain)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank aaalh
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Moreover, I am delighted to read that all of our facilities have been up to your satisfaction. Our team will be very pleased to read that their efforts have been much appreciated.

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Our trip was already started for four days while staying at the Grand Hyatt, but we booked two nights at the Jumeirah to be on that side of town. Our first hotel was luxury and probably the best we've stayed at. We had been at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel before about 5 years ago, and let me tell you, the hotel's standard has dropped quite significantly. There were children screaming and running around everywhere without their parents and horseplaying. When we entered, we were taken to the front desk but the service was horrible and the attendants were rude. One night while sleeping, we were rudely awoken by kids screaming next door and then the mother screaming back for about 30 minutes. We had to get our room changed because we could not stand the noise. The showers had black scum on the bottom of them. The rooms are not as nice as they used to be and they are not maintained. Dress code isn't maintained either, after 5 there used to be no shorts for men but now you see men in shorts and casual swim wear EVERYWHERE. This hotel went from luxury to family friendly and average. At the pool bar, there are drunken people as loud as they can be. The latitude bar was very expensive 210 durhams for dinner. In no way can you relax at this hotel unless you're at the beach.

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read that your most recent stay with us has tainted your impressions of the Jumeirah Beach hotel. We have been very busy over the last few weeks and I would like to apologize for any inconveniences that you faced during your stay. Being a family hotel we do get busy with children over the summer and we understand that this may not have been conducive to the holiday that you were planning.

Wherever possible we have addressed your concerns with the respective teams and we will continue to improve our products and services.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I hope that you will change your mind and visit us again and I look forward to welcoming you back at Jumeirah Beach Hotel.

UK
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel about 5 years for our honeymoon so thought it would be nice to relive the experience.
What really struck me this time was a real lack of customer service.
We booked the carnevale italian restaurant for our seconds night stay, the blurb informed us this was an elegant, authentic italian restaurant. The dress code was 'elegant' and no kids under 14 allowed.
We booked the day before, turned all dressed up and found that it was full of kids! I dont mind children, but why state the contrary? Patrons were also dresses in shorts and t-shirts (the blurb said no shorts!).
We sat down anyway, we could hear the rabble from the corridor and from downstairs. We ordered at 8:10, bread was brought out at the same time as the garlic ordered for starters. No sooner had we finished starters, I literally had not even wiped my hands yet, our mains arrived! The waiter saw our expressions and offered to take our food back, I politely refused, and we out of the restaurant by 8:55pm!
I didnt know Italian eating meant eating at lightening speed!
Suffice to say I would avoid this hotel again in the future!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ridgestride
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read that there were aspects of your experience at the Carnevale restaurant that did not meet your expectations. I can completely understand that your expectations of a fine dining restaurant and I would sincerely like to apologize for your disappointment and assure you that these are not the high service standards we aim to provide here at the Jumeirah Beach hotel. Please be assured that I have discussed your feedback with my Food and Beverage management team and appropriate action has been taken.

Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I booked the Jumeirah Beach for my 40th birthday treat, over the Atlantis, after reading reviews on here and I am so glad I did. Yes, we had a problem which I will come to, but it was sorted out with no fuss.

Arrived for our 7 night stay just after midnight on the morning of Monday 5th July. Greeted with scented cool towels at reception, quick check-in and then went upto our room on 12th floor (with chocolates on the bed). Awoke next morning (lovely comfy beds) to a stunning view overlooking the marina and Burj Al Arab. As we had booked the free half board upgrade, we had a bite to eat in the Dhow & Anchor, which was a lovely meal. Surprised at the number of restaurants we could choose to eat at, several over at Madinat Jumeirah too. Was expecting to have a choice of about 5, but we had about 20 to choose from !!!

On the Tuesday (my 40th birthday), was a bit surprised no member of staff commented on my birthday (given I had 2 huge badges on from my 2 daughters) however the staff were always polite and said hello to you wherever you went. Spent the day over at the shallow water dolphin encounter & aquaventure over at the Atlantis. Came back to our room at the Jumeirah Beach to find a cake with "happy birthday" on it and a bottle of champagne in ice (well, water by the time we had retuned, LOL) which was an excellent way to cap a truly memorable day. The only downside was we went to Beachcombers restaurant on the evening, which was in all 4 of our opinions, our least favourite restaurant we went to there. The kids food was a little limited, but maybe we just caught an off night. Ended the night watching the World Cup semi-final on the terrace of the Dhow & Anchor, with waiters/waitresses bringin around the scented cool towels, which were a god send in the midnight heat..........nice touch !!!

Other restaurants we tried were Go West (tex-mex...........superb, loved the live music that the kids could dance to at the front), Latitude (breakfast here and one evening meal.........nice enough), Dhow & Anchor again for an evening meal (lovely) and a special thank you for the gentleman at the reservations desk for recommending Toscana, a gorgeous Italian restaurant over at Madinat Jumeirah (buggy to take you there.......and Abras to navigate around Madinat Jumeirah)

For recommendations also a big thank you to the gentleman (vert tall thin young man) at the concierge desk, who gave us a great tip about going up the Burj Khalifa. He advised us to get timed tickets, which are 100dhs as opposed to walking up and wanting to go there and then, which cost 400dhs, so we went to the Dubai Mall, did some shopping and booked to return the following day with a huge saving.

Being used to bargain shopping in America, I was disappointed that there were no bargains to be had at any of the malls (Dubai Mall, Mall of the Emirates, Marina Mall & Ibn Battuta Malls we went to). Was shocked to see PS3 games dearer than in UK. Definately a case of browse and not buy. There is a free shuttle bus that takes you from Jumeirah Beach hotel to Mall of The Emirates but a good tip is to get a taxi there and bus back. Taxi cheap enough and takes 5 mins, but bus goes to Mina A Salam, Al Qasr on way out and sits and waits a while at each stop, so you waste about 30 minutes this way. On way back, Jumeirah Beach is the first stop, so no problem.

There is a bus from Dubai Mall that stops at the hotel abour 3 times a day each way to, but the taxi's are really cheap and plenty of them about everywhere.

Back to the Jumeirah Beach, our room was fantastic, turn down team leaving chocolates and a newsletter of the following days events each evening, with weather forecast (hot !!!), pool and sea temperatures, facilites and recreation times etc.......even how many different nationalities are staying at the hotel (62 was highest when we were there ) !!!!

My two daughters loved the kids club, and in particular a guy called Shrawan. I was by the pool when my wife came back to me to inform me the kids had gone out on a speedboat trip !!!! An hour later she went to check on them and they were kayaking in the marina !!! Then they were playing team games in the family pool with the other kids and the reps........excellent !!!!! All the time, watched by loads of lifeguards, which was relaxing to see. Kids will love it here and parents will be happy knowing their kids are safe and being cared for. We went into Wild Wadi water park, which had some refurbishment going on, but was still highly enjoyable.

Now onto the only downer of the holiday. We left feeling absolutely overwhelmed by the whole holiday and so pleased we had booked the Jumeirah Beach. When we got home, we put the CD of the photo's (1200dhs for 30 photo's on 2 CD's) we bought from the hotel that the various photographer's had taken of us around the hotel (some underwater too). To our horror, one of the 30 pictures was not of us, so we had one missing. On further inspection, several of the photo's had been cropped and had cut the tops of people's heads off and some had sliced the hotel logo in two, that we had asked to be put on the photo's. I can't understand why anyone cropped the photo's. We were only asked if we wanted the logo putting on and we had discarded the photo's that we didnt want or where we werent fully in the picture. Our missing photo was one taken on my birthday too, which I was initially gutted at the thought of losing. I emailed the hotel straight away and got a propmt response from Mr Charles Clark, who assured me he would look into the matter. Further emails from Stella Bvukumbwe and she located our photos (there were duplicate photo numbers of another family.....advise to check photo's before you leave hotel if you can) and promptly dispatched another copy of them, which we received a little over a week after we had returned home to the UK, so a big thank you for to both Charles and Stella for sorting that out for us.

The only other criticism I could say, is something a few people have said and that is the price of the alcoholic drinks. 40dhs for a southern comfort & lemonade and 35dhs for a pint of Budweiser is a bit steep. The soft drink prices are fine. Another mention at this point should be made to the pool waiters and in particlular, Sanjay, who was always cheery and nothing too much trouble, an absolute star and a credit to the hotel. Served us with pizza's and drinks during the day by the family pool, top bloke !!!

All in all, we booked the right hotel. I think the problem that arose and how it was dealt with so quickly and efficiently showed that, even after leaving, they were eager, happy and quick to resolve the problem, the management and staff still went to lengths to sort it out and help us.....even after returning home.