“Hide away but staff not pleasant”

JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel
Ranked #76 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I stayed with my family and enjoyed the brunch-lunch. We used the kids club which went down well and the children wanted to remain all night. We used the Spa but the massage was not professional nor was the manner of the staff. I was very disturbed with the level of service and the arrangement within the Spa. I really wish I had not booked the treatment because I was left to feel worse than before. It was a horrid experience given the time spent was so limited.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
JAGRS10, General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

Dear Natalia-DPE,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa.

I was pleased to read that your children enjoyed the children’s club whilst staying at the resort. I was however disappointed to read that you felt that the service levels in the Spa were not to your expectations. Your feedback is extremely important to allow us to allow us to continually improve our services, making any necessary improvements, and I would like to apologize if we fell short in any way.

I would therefore welcome the opportunity to obtain further information from yourself, if you could kindly contact me directly at Generalmanager.JAGRS@jaihotels.com

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we do hope that we would have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

This was our fourth stay at the jebel ali hotel.Although we had a very relaxing stay there were a few things that were'nt up to scratch.Hot buffet food was cold.Rooms were nice but not cleaned properly.Dvd hire was extortionate.40 dirhams which is around 8pounds per rent.Although we were all inclusive we were not made aware of this.That aside you could'nt fault the staff.They were very friendly and always asked how you were.This is classed as a five star but really we would rate it a four.Last year we stayed at Le Royal Meridien and i would say thats a definate five star.I would definately stay at the jebel ali again. If your looking to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city then this is the place to stay.I would suggest that you take the all inclusive option as the prices in dubai have shot up in the last 2-3years.For example around 3.50 for a can of coke.Meals in the sports bar are very nice.

1  Thank mackems3
JAGRS10, General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Dear mackems3,

As a regular visitor to the resort, it is always a pleasure to read your feedback, and I was happy to read that you enjoyed the All Inclusive package.

I was however disappointed to read that you felt the service levels were not to your expectations in some areas of your stay. Your feedback is extremely important to allow us to continually improve our services, making any necessary improvements, and I would like to apologize if we fell short in any way.

I would like to thank you for your very kind words in relation the associates, who you have mentioned were very friendly when looking after you.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

We spent 14 nights at the Jebel Ali hotel and as a responsible Trip advisor member I felt compelled to share my experience.

First and foremost, thank you to all who posted their experiences previously since this was extremely helpful and largely accurate.

We booked 2 sea view rooms and are a family of four (2 adults and two teenagers)

Location: the hotel is situated approximately 45 minutes from DXB airport. We requested a hotel transfer and when we landed we found our driver without much hassle. We were pleased to find that they sent a 5 series BMW which proved more than adequate. The cost of the transfer was 200Dirhams as opposed to a 100 Dirhams, which a taxi would have charged. In my view, it was worth the spend given that we landed at night and were happy just to get to the Hotel without the hassle of getting a cab.

The location of the hotel is excellent if you want to stay away from main Dubai and have no interest in travelling to the city and shopping in the hated, crowded, garish, over priced and asphyxiating malls. On the other hand, if you do want to get out and about then you need to constantly figure in the transfer times. The hotel does offer an efficient transfer service.

Also, the view from the lovely beach is somewhat blighted by the construction of the Jebel palm on the left and the port on the right but this is fairly minor given the lovely grass, palms and pool loungers.

Hotel: check in was quick and painless. The décor is somewhat dated and dark but this is offset by the family feel of the place. The Palm tree Court and Spa was better appointed with a more upmarket feel. The rooms too are a bit dated, disappointingly without a power shower (only a shower in the bath). However, the rooms in the Palm Tree Court are more modern and have an excellent shower.

Facilities/activities: The hotel had numerous day time activities on offer but because of the intense, make you melt, heat it was difficult to avail ourselves of these during the day except maybe from 4pm onwards. In this regard, perhaps rearranging the schedule so that outdoor activities were offered from later on in the day (2 to 5pm) would have made more sense instead of ending at 5pm.

The Sports café, gym, badminton, pool table etc, were all good and could be enjoyed because they were indoors and in air conditioning.

Perhaps my biggest gripes would be the lack of an effective entertainment team, lack of an indoor cigar smoking area (in the day) and lack of suitable night time entertainment and venue.

Activities in the day were usually lack lustre especially around the 3 pools. Compared to other 5 star resorts in Egypt and Turkey, one would expect the Hotel to have an energetic Animation Team and offer suitable activities for all guests not just under 12yr olds (e.g other guests had to physically arrange an adult waterpolo). Also, activities could be arranged in one or two of the pool areas with music etc and guests that did not want to participate could opt for the Spa pool for instance.

The hotel absolutely does not cater for those who would like to indulge in a cigar in the day! Instead, you are forced to smoke in the blistering heat, which detracts from the experience. The Mushraf bar is open at night only, where you can smoke, but just getting a seat is a challenge because it is so small and, frankly dingy. This bar also happens to occupy one of the best rooms in the hotel because it is situated at the top and offers beautiful views. Illogically it is closed during the day!

The hotel did offer belly dancing and some night time entertainment (thanks to the styling’s of Tobias, who did his best and was appreciated) but due the lack of space, I think the hotel could have done more compared to other 5 star hotels in the area (Atlantis, Burg al Arab etc.)

Staff/service: The hotels best points! I must say that this is one of the few hotels that I have stayed at, where most of the staff seemed genuinely happy to serve you and, aside from two exceptions which I will mention later, we received exceptional service. In summary (apologies for those omitted):

The good:
Christian at the Wild Orchid bar: exceptionally talented, friendly and efficient. I agree that his margaritas are truly tasty but one must try his chocolate martini-absolutely irresistible (insist that only he makes it);
Ali and Robin, poolside bar tenders, again they did their best despite the plague of orders. Robin, in particular, was my son’s favourite because he took the logical step of keeping bottles of water in the fridge which meant that they were refreshingly thirst quenching in the sweltering heat;
Sabrina, Rajesh, Sharon, Lea and Manjula all provided excellent service, always with a smile and a willingness to serve;
Praveen, efficient at arranging transportation and always ready to help.
Vikram, our room cleaner, was so good, that we offered to adopt him!

The bad:
Greg(surname unknown or offered) the drinks “manager” really needs to go on a communications workshop and taught how to speak to guests. A rude and obnoxious man who seems to care little for guest’s comfort. If you are confronted by this person, refuse to speak to him and ask to speak to the duty manager instead!

Nomar: a waiter in Ibn Majid- no latte glasses (insisted that latte’s come in tiny cups) despite the fact that these were obtained by another less lazy waiter when asked.

Concierge: sour, moody and unhelpful. However this excludes Lourence, who did render some assistance when asked.

The excellent:
Kenny, the Duty manager, and Amir Sabry. I was impressed with their friendly, customer orientated approach. Kenny heard my complaints patiently and sorted them out straight away. He was very approachable and gave the impression that guests were his priority, which is to be expected.

Amir too was very approachable, always enquiring about our stay and taking onboard our suggestions for improved service. Although a busy man, he took time to join us for a coffee and a chat making us feel very welcome and relaxed.
The fact that some of the hotel management take the time to get to know their guests in this way adds to the family appeal of this resort. Perhaps Kenny and Amir could mentor Greg then all would be perfect!

Food: This is also one of the hotels strong points. In short, we were not disappointed at any meal. It must be said that the hotel’s all inclusive package must be one of the best we have experienced. Branded drinks, cocktails on demand and a choice of restaurants to eat in meant we did not have to keep tabs on the hotel bill. Truly excellent. My favorite was the Arabian barbecue, the seafood was superb. Also, the Goan fish curry (served on Asian Night) was extraordinarily delicious. The service and tasty steaks at Shooters also deserve a mention.

A slight disappointment was that Divaz was closed since we really wanted to dine on the yacht.

Overall, I would certainly recommend this hotel as an ideal family destination provided that you visit in the cooler months and are not expecting the glitz and glamour of other Dubai 5 star hotels. The service, overall, was attentive and the customer service very good. The food was excellent and the all inclusive package good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
JAGRS10, General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear Kingquest,

It was a pleasure to read your very detailed and open review from your recent stay at the resort. You have kindly made some great suggestions, which I have taken on board and they will be a consideration for the future. We really do appreciate guest suggestions, to allow us to continually improve our services and facilities.

I would welcome more detail on your suggestions in relation to the evening entertainment; should your time permit, you can kindly forward your suggestions to me directly on my e-mail Generalmanager.JAGRS@jaihotels.com.

I was disappointed to read that some of the associates were not welcoming and friendly during your stay. I would like to sincerely apologise if this was the case, as this is something we take very seriously and it is very important to us. I would however like to thank you for your kind words for many associates whom you have named individually, I will ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the All Inclusive package in terms of flexibility, food quality and that you felt it was one of the best that you have experienced.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

The location is excellent. Air planes taking of/landing right in front the resort, a beautifull marina (which by the way charges WAY to much for a couple of hours moaring) nice beach, lots of pools, friendly/service minded staff, nice rooms (need a face lift thu) But what an incredable dissappointment the buffet restaurant is. Many things over cooked, something they called hamour fish, but definately isn't. Big shrimps, but all having black heads (caused by uncontrolled microbial growth -> decomposing) One of us even got food poisoning after eating tofu)
Come on chef; we know you're a bit far from other - much better - restaurants. But that doesn't mean you can feed your guests this quality of food. Your food is not in line with the rest of your resort.

One thing

Room Tip: Book a room in the new wing.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Dear thesheikhfromdubai,

I was extremely concerned to read your feedback following your recent stay at Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa.

I am sure you can appreciate that we take all hygiene, and health and safety standards very seriously.

I would therefore welcome the opportunity to obtain further details from yourself, if you could kindly contact me directly at Generalmanager.JAGRS@jaihotels.com

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We visited this hotel at the end of July and found it to be exceptional value for money. We booked through Travel Bag and stayed in a family garden view room on the all inclusive option, with direct flights on Virgin. We were lucky enough to get a free upgrade from half board to all inclusive as we booked early enough, therefore for 2 adults and 2 children aged 16 and 12 we only paid £4200! - less than I was quoted for Turkey or Greece!!! If you can get the All inclusive option its really worthwhile as its good to know there'll be no huge bills at the end of your stay, as prices are so high in Dubai. On the AI option you can eat almost anything in all of the restaurants, and drink all you want apart from champagne, but they do give you a list of what you can and can't have when you check in. Book your restaurants early though as they get booked up quick - We liked La Traviata, Shooters and White Orchid but were not too keen on either of the buffet restaurants as they have a theme each night and not a great deal of choice- apart from the desserts table which was huge!!!

The hotel is quite far out of Dubai, which we were aware of before we booked but having stayed on Jumerai beach on the other 2 occasions we have been, we prefer to be more in the centre of things. The hotel offers a free coach to different locations however, such as Atlantis, Mall of the Emirates etc which is good, but can take over an hour to get there.

Although we had a great relaxing holiday we did notice a few things that doesn't put this hotel in the same league as others in Dubai. For example whilst sunbathing, we very rarely saw a waiter and were never asked whether we wanted any drinks. We therefore had to walk to the Captains Bar when we wanted one. Also a few of the staff didn't seem to have time to chat as they were so busy, especially at the Captains bar and Sunset lounge. The ladies who worked in the Sunset Lounge were also having to work in the buffet restaurant and although they were very friendly we felt quite guilty at having to ask them for anything because they were so busy.

The management also seemed quite aloof as we were invited to a cocktail evening during which not one member of staff spoke to us and all stood around a table talking between themselves then disappeared as quickly as they could!

We did have a few little niggles with the hotel and service, but I think that's probably because we stayed at Le Royal Meridien last year and were spoiled by the exceptional level of service there. However overall, and considering how much we paid it was a great, relaxing holiday which we would recommend to others.

2  Thank sep14
JAGRS10, General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2011

Dear sep14,

It was a pleasure to read your very detailed feedback, and I was happy to read that you enjoyed the selection of items available on the All Inclusive package.

I was however disappointed to read that you felt the service levels were not to your expectations in some areas of your stay, and that there was a lack of management presence at the guest cocktail evening. Your feedback is extremely important to allow us to continually improve our services, making any necessary improvements, and I would like to apologize if we fell short in any way.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Stayed for 3 nights on the all inclusive basis with my husband. The food, staff, beverages, ambience, just about everything there, was 5 star fantastic.
We live in Dubai and would highly recommend the hotel for both short and long stays.
Sure, its far from Dubai centre but if you are looking for a relaxing time then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: No real useable balcony / terrace unless you are on the ground floor or staying in the Palm Tree Cou...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank valDubai

Dear valDubai,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Jebel Ali Golf Resort and Spa on the All Inclusive package.

I would like to thank you for your very kind words following your recent stay, and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the resort, its facilities and the associates who looked after you during your stay.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

My first time in Dubai, but we met up with three other couples who are regular visitors there. No idea in retrospect as to exactly what I was expecting, but must admit that the room we were given on arrival (third floor & typical room for the hotel) was of a really good size, well equipped & with a great sized bed. BUT.... the balcony was minimal & pushes the boundaries of the description of the term "balcony": you certainly could not have good a couple of chairs on it to sit out - and I think that is the least you must expect. So, we complained to the duty manager who said that they were unable to resolve our complaint today, but would move us to a better grade room the following day. Result! The new room (room 103) was bigger albeit equipped identically (I think) other than the bed was half as big again to the already large bed in the last room & the "balcony" has two sunloungers plus sunchairs & stools: brilliant!! Ten out of ten for the management!
LOCATION? Well, sorry, but this is really the only downside to the Jebel Ali as it is a 45 minute (£20) taxi ride from Dubai centre. You can't have everything! My opinion is that this is a compromise well worth making as the resort itself is brilliant for the money. We went into town a few times over our ten day break & I didn't mind particularly that it took a while to get there as I enjoyed the view!
We were particularly pleased with the FOOD throughout our stay: it is of a very high standard & well above the usual dismal buffet offerings from many All-inc hotels. Of particular mention is the Italian restaurant whose fillet steak is exemplary & as good as you'll every find: last night - our final night there - ten of us dining together, all opting for the fillet & we were all suitable impressed! On Wednesday night we had the Tappanyaki & this was also amazing at how good it was! Pretty much 9.7 out of ten for an overall food score! We also dined out at in town at the newly opened Ivy in Emirate Towers & found it very poor (& when would you ever expect to hear that about a Caprice Group Eaterie?): we would have been far better keeping our £175 for two as it was sadly the worst meal of our holiday & made the Jebel Ali seem seven star by comparison!
SERVICE? Well, as mentioned above, the staff seemed happy & in a good place. Of particular note were the beach attendants who pampered us so well every day. I'm no good with Goan names, but my favourite waiters were Poolang & Gazadek (they work the right side (looking at the beach bar-restaurants from the sea). I apologise now for getting their names wrong: knew I should have written them down! To be fair, pretty much all the staff were excellent!
The WEATHER!! Well, we were plain stupid to go at this time of year as 45C was the normal average temp during the day with it still being close to 40C during the night. Couple this high temp to the 75% humidity & it was sometimes too much unless the breeze was blowing well . I'm sure that's why the all-inc offer was so good for this fab hotel.
The SPA was used by my better half a few times & she confirmed that it was excellent in terms of quality & sensible prices. Being a bloke, I can only pass on that if 'er indoors was happy, then it was clearly pretty good! GYM? 'fraid so: well equipped & no excuse not to go! I personally found it too hot inside & struggled with this heat so only ran 5k's instead of the 10 I do back home. SHOOTERS? Yes, both a gun club for clays plus restaurant which was also pretty good albeit lacking in atmosphere through being remote from the main complex. GO CARTS? I didn't partake, but others in out group did & loved it spending 30 mins blasting rould a decent sized track. GOLF? Well, "mad dogs & Englishmen" just about says it all. Even with a 7.30 tee off our chaps found it too hot, so give it a miss at this time of year until it cools off a little!
TAXIS.... Reception offer either a metered local cab or the hotel's own cab service chargeable to your room. Take the metered cab option as it will be around 35% cheaper, although the taxis were very cheap compared to back home. Expect to pay around 120-130 AED for a metered taxi to/from the airport dependant on traffic or around 200 AED for the hotel taxi.
Lots more I could say, but expect that the images available will say it all.
SUMMARY: would I go back to the Jebel Ali? In a flash! Yes, please....but I'd prefer it outside July & August as it's simply too humid/hot then.

Room Tip: Ask for a big balcony & justify you're demands! Recommed room 103 & those along from it...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank BruceYork
JAGRS10, General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Dear BruceYork,

Firstly I would l like to mention how your review was a most interesting read, and I would like to thank your very detailed feedback following your recent stay at the resort. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the wide selection of facilities that we have available.

I was disappointed to read that your original room was not to your satisfaction; however, I was pleased that this was quickly resolved by a member of the management team and your new room was very comfortable.

I was pleased that you and your family enjoyed the All Inclusive, and the selection of restaurants available as well as the quality of food, in particular La Traviata restaurant.

You have kindly mentioned how you were very pleased with the service that you received from the associates during your stay, and have also mentioned some of our associate’s names, which we will ensure your compliments are passed on to them.