“Honeymoon in Dubai”

JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel
Ranked #70 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 16 February 2007

We stayed here for our honeymoon in early Feb and we would rate it as a 4 star (not 5 as they advertise) .
Negatives first:
-The rooms were a bit dated and slightly smaller than we'd hoped, but the balcony size was dissapointing and there were no chairs. There was nothing drastically wrong but I thought for a 'Leading Hotel of the World' the bathroom could have done with a refurb. The grout around the shower taps was dirty and there was a nasty looking (assumed) rust stain near the taps. The ceiling looked like plastic and was quite grubby - see pics.
-One day whilst sunbathing, I was continually asked if I wanted to buy any drinks. One even asked me if I wanted my sunglasses cleaned. Although I only experienced this on one day, it was a bit of a nuisance.
-Our room had a connecting door, and we could always hear every word our neighbour spoke.
-One night we went to La Traviata for dinner, without a reservation. The restaurant was more than half empty but still the waiter got snotty, counting over his tiny list of names again and again while frowning. Eventually another staff member came over and took us straight to a table... and the restaurant still remained half empty the whole time we were there.
-The main restaurant for breakfast and buffet dinner is stuck in a 70's time warp, It was spotlessly clean but I guess I just expected something a bit more modern for a 5 star.
Also they use 'pan pipe' music of cheesy songs like the Titanic theme, which started to grate after 10 days there.
-Finally, the hotel is about 40 mins from anywhere, which wasn't a problem for us as we only did 2 days out of the resort to fit in all our sightseeing.

Positives:
-In our experince, the food here is absolutely fantastic. Everything from the elegant restaurants to the casual sports bar restaurant - it was all fantastic. The buffet restaurant had a different theme every night, and the puddings were to die for. One night the hotel put on a BBQ in the garden, and had belly dancing. I am a fussy eater but always found something to enjoy. Service was attentive but unobtrusive.
-Every member of staff we had contact with always had a smile and were extremely polite and helpful. Having stayed in many hotels, the level of service here is one of the best. Nothing was ever too much trouble and concierge were fantastic.
-Outside of the hotel, the grounds are extensive and immaculate, every morning you would see them mowing the lawns, planting flowers etc. We had a golf view room which had some lovely views. They also have a couple of peacocks roaming around.
-The facilities are also very good, there is a wide selection of activities and things to do, and the 3 pools were a good size. I was pleased to find the beach looked exactly like the photo and is raked over every night.
-The hotel provides beach towels, as many as you ask for.
-There is also fridge and safe in the room which you dont have to pay to use. And lovely Elemis toiletries.
Unfortunately I never got to use the spa, but I read some very good reviews on it. There is also a hair salon.
-Outside one of the bars were little tent camps with soft seating and laterns. Very nice to sit out with a drink.
-There was a turndown every night, with 2 complimentary bottles of water and the hotel gave us champagne and flowers on our first night. They also had a room ready for us even 'tho we arrived at 7am.

Costs
We booked B&B and budgeted £50pp per day to include taxis (but we didnt spend it all) Meals cost around £22 pp for 3 course buffet ex drinks, £35 pp in the Italian but if you just wanted a burger or grilled fish salad, a meal for 2 was around £20. Lunch from around £7 pp plus drinks.

We would definetly come back again, but would think about staying in Palm Tree Court as it looked much nicer.

Stayed: February 2007
15  Thank LDRHerts
Write a ReviewReviews (3,550)

Reviewed 13 February 2007

My wife and I returned on Sunday from our first visit to Dubai and the Jebel Ali and cannot rave enough about this great Hotel.
From when we arrived at 3am Tuesday morning everything was just perfect. I think what made this hotel special compared to any we've stayed in around Europe was the attitude of the staff, everyone was so friendly, whichever part of the complex we were in, keen to help and always with a smile and a hello, its amazing how such a apparently small detail has such a positive effect on your Holiday.
We had a seaview room on the 2nd floor which was kept beautifully clean, so much so that the bins were emptied in the evenings as well when 2 new bottles of water were provided as well as the turndown service.
As well as the 3 pools there is also a lovely beach and excellent gardens to sunbathe in.
We used the hotel shuttle bus a couple of times and had no problems after pre booking, there was never more then 20 people on it and it was a 50 seater. Although not going into Dubai was a bit inconvienent, the drop off at Mall of the Emirates meant you could get either a taxi into town or join the Big City Tour Bus.
Our favourite restaurant was the White Orchid, but we also used Signatures & Shooters, we preferred the former as Shooters, although good food & service, lacked a bit of atmosphere and was quite dated
I played 9 holes of golf which was extremely good value at 215AED( about £30) which included a buggy and a set of Callaway clubs, the course was excellent.
As with everywhere else in Dubai, alcohol was expensive, the cheapest in the restaurants being a standard bottle of Hardys Merlot at AED115 ( £16-17).
However, that certainly didn't spoil our holiday as we had a wonderful relaxing time at the Jebel Ali and we were very glad we were not subject to the intensity of Dubai City 24/7.
We, like others, will definitely return

• Stayed: February 2007
9  Thank grinch99
Reviewed 2 February 2007

Have just returned from a wonderful 7 nights spent at the Jebel Ali Hotel. This was my wife's first visit to Dubai, but as I had been previously on business I purposefully chose this hotel as I knew it was away from the main construction work. Although the hotel is away from the city we just wanted a week relaxing in the sun and the hotel provided us with everything we needed, 3 heated pools and a fabulous beach. As we arrived around 9.30 in the morning our room was not available but arrangements were made for us to shower and change and to enjoy complimentary refreshments. When the room was ready we were given an upgrade to a seaview room. We had pre-booked our evening meal, and although credit was given if dinner was taken in any restaurant other than the Coffee Shop, we found the food in the Coffee Shop excellent and varied so did not try any of the other restaurants, something for our next visit. We cannot praise the staff too highly for their friendliness and level of service. Special mention of Mohamed at the Captains Bar. We spent most evenings in the Plantation Bar and enjoyed the entertainment provided by the Blue Dream Band.
One excursion we would recommend is the Dinner criuse on the Bateau Dubai which not only provides excellent food but also gives a wonderful view of the city from the water.
My wife so enjoyed her first trip to Dubai that she has already decided that not only will we be returning to the Jebel Ali next year, but we intend to stay for 10 nights and maybe take the excursion to spend a night in the desert.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank notleyjohn
Reviewed 29 January 2007

we have just returned from this hotel and can say that it was value for money.I would rate this hotel 4 star+ i can't put my finger on why maybe the distnce from the centre 20 min,small rooms, no balcony.the weather wasn't at its best but the staff couldn't do enough for you,golf was great.spa superb,food excellent,beach fantastic .For our fist visit to dubai i think it was a good choice as there is a lot of building work going on in the centre.would i go back to the jebi ali yes if the deal was right.The shuttle bus is now a 53 seater the days we used it we had no problems at all.as we were just chilling out for 6 nights this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank johnstuart
Reviewed 29 January 2007

Staying at this hotel for the second time was as good as ever. It is one hotel in the manic city of Dubai where you could actually be in another country (if you ingnore the power station) up the coast. The beach is beautiful and well maintained and the sea/gulf very warm.

The buffet breakfast is one of the best I've sampled and suits all tastes. Be careful to clarify that the breakfast is included when booking because we booked through ---.com who advertised it as B&B but when the confirmation was issued excluded it. Despite my protestations I had to pay the hotel who showed me the booking form received from lastminute. I didn't mind paying since the breakfast was first class, but it wasn't cheap for 2 of us for 8 days.

It is worth skipping breakfast for the Friday Brunch, but get there early as it does get very busy.

The gardens around the pool area are excellent , and even when the hotel is busy there is adequte room to accomodate everyone.

The rooms are very good, if a little old fashioned compared to the newer hotels in Jumeriah and in town. The balconies are tiny.

A trip to Shooters Restaurant is worth a night out seeing the latest in who's got the best semi-automatic as you watch the locals clay pigeon shooting - the steaks are delicious. It is a couple of km away from the hotel, but they provide a courtesy bus.

The Italian restaurant, La Traviata, in the basement of the hotel is also excellent but ask for a table away from the stage if you want the volume turned down on the live music.

The hotel also run courtesy buses into town throughout the day but pre-book as it can be like waiting for the sales to start in the car park.

The golf driving range is around by the marina and is reasonably priced. I did not play golf but understand the course is first class and you get discount green fees as a hotel resident. Outside the Sports Bar is the marina where there a number of beautiful boats moored. It is a relaxing place to sit and have a sundowner and enjoy a snack.

This is a first class resort to suit all tastes and will definitely stay there again as is has so much to offer, away from the hurly burly of Dubai.

• Stayed: February 2004, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Yamgold
Reviewed 17 January 2007

We honeymooned at this hotel for 10 nights in September 2005 and all I can say is, it was one of the most relaxing holidays I was ever on. Note it is a good bit out of town (about 45 mins in a taxi) and the roads were so busy (and taxi drivers so fast) that apart from one or two trips we stayed at the hotel.
Definitely would not get bored if you never left the complex, lots of restaurants and activities. Two swim up bars in temp controlled pools for when it gets too hot! One pool has a duck (photo attached) which enjoys an interval swim. In September it averaged the high 30's (hit 41C when we arrived) which you do get quickly used to. The hotel fronts onto a beach which seemed to permanently have a heavenly breeze.
Dubai itself was nothing to write home about. High rise hotels and buildings with highways to the front - not as I had imagined. The gold souks were supposed to be good. We hailed taxi from town but he would not bring us as he said it would take him 2 hours to cross the creek (bridge) to get there (traffic is that bad). Shopping is not all that much cheaper (and certainly if you've been to New York, don't bother getting excited about here). My husband did buy a PSP which he felt was good value.
One highlight - lunch at the 7 star Burj al Arab - cost equiv to €200!! so a once in a lifetime treat. You're not allowed go to hotel unless with a tour. Lots of trips can be booked from the hotel. I also recommend the night cruise and dinner on a traditional dow - not near €200!.
Hotel staff exceptionnally friendly and helpful. Champagne and flowers on arrival. Hotel bar a bit quiet, the sports bar a 1 min walk from the hotel is a bit more upbeat. Also check out Shooters restaurant. The thai is among the best we ever ate. Prepare for a quiet but very luxurious holiday. Lots of clubs and life in town if you want to travel. Taxis readily available or complimentary hotel bus. You'll leave the Jebel Ali promising to return even if Dubai itself doesn't float your boat!

Stayed: September 2006
8  Thank Onderun
Reviewed 13 January 2007

Arriving from a nightflight from Africa I definitely made the wrong choice of hotel. Whilst it had specifically noted an early check in they did not have a room ready and it was an ugly sight when i had to camp down in their plush lounge area......despite this they did give me a free breakfast, only told me it was free when i checked out!
Despite this, the room was massive, plush Elemis products and slippers in the wardrobe, spotless, lovely pool/beach/green etc. Downside, loads of Brit tourists, miles out of town, complimentary bus service does not go right into town where people want to go to gold souks etc, and only drops you at a mall where you have to get taxis.....but still it's better having that bus than no bus at all, as getting taxis to and from the hotel will cost loads as miles from anything. The bus driver was the most helpful person i met in Dubai who told me where to go and how to get there! Personally, I would not stay at this hotel again as too far from anyting in town.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo