“Would definitely go back... Loved it!”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira
Ranked #229 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed for 6 nights from November 15th 2013 with an aircraft spotters group. Perfect as the hotel is on the flight path for DXB. It's a lovely hotel with friendly staff and great food. The swimming pool is on the roof which is nice. The hotel is modern and the rooms are cleaned everyday.

We arrived at about 1:30am and were told we couldn't get into a room until the following day as we had to wait for some other guests to vacate their rooms. Fair enough. We had been up nearly 24 hours and at that point it was 4am. We were dropping to sleep in the cafe area (as you would expect after being awake for so long accompanied with a 7 hour flight). We were rudely woken up by one of the receptionists and my mum (who has a culmination of heart issues) explained why she needed to sleep - this wasn't taken into account and we were forced to stay awake. We went for breakfast as it opened (6:30am). We then went up to the roof to catch the early morning arrivals and we were told they were rushing the room through because we had been waiting for so long. 1pm came and we were told we couldn't check in until 3pm. After they lost our luggage and gave us a room that didn't meet our mentioned preferences (an airport view), we eventually got a room at 5pm. Two words: absolutely shattered. The managers endeavoured to help us in the end; I can't fault their services from beyond this point.

The hotel isn't in the city centre of Dubai but it's a short walk from the Metro station, this takes you all the way upto Jebel Ali and through downtown Dubai where all the shopping malls are. Incase you're wondering, the giant aquarium is in the Dubai Mall. There are also a few local shops across the road from the hotel, like Lulu's, a store that sells literally everything. The hotel has free shuttle buses that go to more local shopping malls.

Unless you're eating in the restaurant, food from the cafe menu can get quite repetitive. The first night we ate on the roof, but with the vortex' from landing aircraft, it was too windy to eat up there however there is a wider selection of food. You can get free wifi in the Link@Sheraton cafe. The hotel was always clean and well maintained. All in all, we had a fantastic trip to Dubai. I would definitely return to the Sheraton Deira.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AviatorCole
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear AviatorCole,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your trip and stay at Sheraton Deira during the 2013 Dubai Airshow exhibition.

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our hotel, it's associates, poolside and food to your enitre satisfaction and we certainly look forward to welcome you back in 2015 when the next Airshow will take place. I agree with you that our location is a plane spotters paradise as it is very easy to look at planes taking off or landing at Dubai International Airport. I am very sorry that we made you wait for your room but as the main organiser of your group had requested specific room numbers and types (Most of the rooms needed to face the airport) we had to wait till the previous occupant had checked out before we could prepare the room for you. I have discussed with my front desk team what happend in our Link @ Sheraton Cafe as they should have been more flexible and certainly not have disturbed you during the night when you tried to get a little sleep. May I suggest that on your next trip when you know that your arrival time is 1.30am, you pre-book your room so that the room can be made available to you as soon as you arrive. It will certainly avoid an unpleasant night waiting or trying to sleep in a lobby.

Last but not least I appreciate that you have highlighted the many interesting places to visit in this wondeful city and around the hotel.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira

Reviewed 15 December 2013

The best part of this hotel is the location, there are shops that stay open 24 hrs close by, the metro is only 5-10 minutes walk away and a bus stop is situated just outside the hotel.

Breakfast very good and varied, rooms were clean and very comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Rejxil,

Thank you for taking the time to post a tripadvisor review pertaining to your recent stay at Sheraton Deira.

I am very pleased to read that that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our location, hotel rooms and breakfast offer. As you rightly mention were are a mere 5 minutes walk away from the nearest metro station that allowed you to visit this beautiful city.

We all look forward to welcome you back on your next trip to Dubai.

Regards

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We were a group of 6 and stayed there for 5 nights everything except the hotel was good. Rooms were dated and amenities lacked the very basic things like cleanliness.

I had the shock of my life while talking to the reception executive Waqas , more than that the on duty manager trying to shield him. I forgot the passport in the room and had to call literally 16 times to get connected to the reception and to top it all they claim it was a favour they were doing it on me by giving me back the passport.....until 2 mins back Waqas was shouting on the phone and when I reached the reception duty manager said he had left for the day!!! Manager had no explanation or replies

They confirmed the room category of club room and while checking in they simply didn't have room until 5 in he evening while the check in time is 3!!!

I can go on and on and on about the hotel.......it is off my list forever.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AnkkitV

Dear AnkkitV,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for writing a review on tripadvisor.com regarding your overall experience during your recent stay to Sheraton Deira Hotel.

From your comments I realize that you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel. It seems that as a hotel we have been unable to meet up on your expectations and I extend my apologies for the same. Unfortunately on the day you checked out our telephone system had serious problems where our telephone lines kept dropping for no apparent reason. As this and I fully understand got you very upset my duty manager only tried to help you in retrieving your passport as soon as possible. He knew that if he had allowed our Front desk agent to talk to you it could only have agravated the situation. His main aim was to ensure a speedy return of your passport and to ensure you were able to make it to the airport on time. It happens very frequently that customers forget items including passports in their rooms and we have on several occasions delivered these to the client who was at the airport. I thank you and appreciate your feedback which is taken in the right spirit and we will do our utmost to act on all your remarks so as to reach a perfect level of gust staisfaction.

Once again please accept my most sincere apologies and I wish you continued pleasant stays in any of the over 1000 Starwood Hotels and Resorts worldwide.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 12 December 2013

The Sheraton Deira is a small older hotel and part of the Starwood Group. The hotel is located a little out of the way but not a lot. You always end up travelling a lot to get where you are going in Dubai anyway. Since I had to go to several places there was no inconvenience at all. One benefit is that the hotel has three or four cars that charge rates comparable to taxis but are clean and the drivers are not trying to qualify for the Daytona 500. The staff is outstanding in their courtesy and the rooms are very clean. The restaurant is small but it was never crowded. Room service came with hot food. The value was excellent. One negative is that it is on a flight path. It is well insulated but some planes seem to be louder than others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear BTSTP,

Thank you for posting a trip advisor review pertaining to your recent stay at Sheraton Deira.

I am very pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay in the hotel and that the location, associates and hotel product and services were up to your expectations. It is true that we are the older Starwood property in Dubai but we do deliver the levels of service Sheraton Hotels are known for.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Dubai.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I got this hotel booking as part of a package deal. Is not a swanky hotel like many in Dubai. This one is an old property, but nothing bad about the hotel. The rooms are spacious, well lit, nice beds, fresh bathrooms, free wi-fi, all amenities working properly. The staff is courteous. The breakfast spread is very good & continental. The hotel is well connected, suitably located. You can get all the info & services for all Dubai excursions from the hotel lobby. Though the place is slightly expensive, for the services it offers, may be because of the Sheraton brand.....

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear TravellerYG,

Thank you for posting a tripadvisor review pertaining to your recent stay at Sheraton Deira Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you were overall satisfied with the services provided by us. Yes we are one of the older hotels in Dubai but strive to provide each and every geust with the levels of service they deserve and are intitled to. Thnak you fro all the postove feedback that will certainly encourgae us to do even better on your next vist.

Till then I remain,

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three nights in Dec 13. I was told by my friend that the Hotel is out of the way for Dubai tourists and I would be better off staying in the newer parts of town. I checked on the net and, since I had booked the place against my star alliance points, decided to stay on. I was pleasantly surprised during my stay. First even if you are booking directly the place is good value for money for a sheraton in Dec in Dubai. I agree the hotel is old, possibly the first sheraton in Dubai and has no view from the rooms, but thats about the only negative point about it. The service and facilities are top class sheraton. Room sizes are large and well appointed. All auxillary services like internet etc were in top working condition. Staff was very helpful and response time to a request was awesome... very very fast. Public areas like club lounge, reception, pool etc were typically Sheraton and well furnished. The Hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the nearest metro station and hence getting around posed no problem. However for elderly guests who are not able to walk that much. location is in the old town and far from all tourist attractions. Meena Bazzar in Bur Dubai is close and great for bargain shopping. Eating out in the area is not much of an option but access to most popular malls via metro is great.
In the beginning we were apprehensive about our stay but the staff and service more than made up for the inadequacy of location and age of the Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Yayavar37,

Good stories should always be shared!

Thank you for posting such a positive review pertaining to your recent stay at Sheraton Deira Hotel. I am glad that you did not listen to your friends and that you gave us the chance to prove that we are a true Sheraton. We are one of the first Sheratons that were build in Dubai when Dubai was still concentrated in the Deira area. As you mentionned we are situated very close to a Metro station that allows you to discover and enjoys this beautiful city.

We all look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Dubai.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I was stuck in Dubai for about 28 hours which forced me to book 2 nights here. It was about 550 USD for this nights total. What an expensive layover!!
The beds…they are so nice, the pillows were great as well.
I used the room service, IT guys and laundry service. They were all great and went the extra mile to make sure my room had wifi, my laundry made it back before my flight and my ice was always full!!
The breakfast buffet area was set up in an small area, forcing one to rub serious elbows with other diners picking over the choices. The selection was not as great as some other hotels but it was varied and overall a very good quality, just disconcerting to turn around after spooning up a bit of this or that and find someone breathing over your shoulder because of the small elevated presentation area..

Room Tip: There are 2 floors that have clubs, so expect some late night noise. If you must have silence to sle...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear azroxx,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at Sheraton Deira.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your layover and that you found our beds and pillows nice and most importantly that all our associates provided you with the levels of service Sheraton Hotels are known for. Thank you for the breakfast feedback, something we need to look at in order to improve on the flow.

I do hope that should your travels bring you back to Dubai you will choose to stay with us once again.